Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• hylynerhylyner Posts: 216
    Avs definitely aren't Sports Sedans, and most of us quasi seniors shouldn't even think about trying to use them as such--BUT--the other day I couldn't help myself and outran the Chrysler 300c next to me at the light. When called upon, they sure can scoot! No hesitation there!
    One thing I have wondered about is this: With two of us on board the ride is really very smooth, but with a couple of HD adults in the back seat, it will sometimes almost bottom out going over a moderate bump. Has anyone noticed this?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I've heard some complaints that the Limited's ventilated seats get uncomfortable on long trips due to the ventilation/heating hardware under the leather and odd cushioning needed to accomodate the ventilation system.

Does anyone have experience with the seats?
    A 5 minute test drive may not be enough to determine the seat comfort.
    Haven't noticed that, at least not yet. We did one long trip from our home in Port Huron to Duluth Mn. and back in the late fall. No noticeable discomfort or excessive fatigue. My wife has a back issue and would notice any problem right away. She was fine on that trip. (Ours is the XLS though)
  • chidorochidoro Posts: 125
    I guess we can all be thankful that the world of automotive designations doesn't stop and end with your opinion.

Mark, which trim do you have? I will be disappointed if it's the Touring as I was hoping that trim level drove a little tighter.
  • njnynjny Posts: 34
    I've got nearly 11,000 miles on my 05 Avalon Limited and I can honestly say these are the worst seats I have ever experienced in a new car.
    I'm a 5'11 160 lb male and use the car as my daily commuter. I didn't get to test drive a limited before I purchased but drove an XLS which seats are defintely cushioned better. You can literally feel the bumps in the seatback as well as the seating surface. I've had the seat covering replaced but that only helped the raised seams in the seat and not the actual comfort of the seat. I'd get the XLS, the vented seats aren't worth the discomfort.
    Have you tried using one of those aftermarket seat pads with the lumbar supports on the back? I used one on our old Rav4 and it really helped. Those seats were not meant for long trips!(Or short ones either!)
  • The driver's side door on my 05 Avalon LTD makes a loud clicking noise at each stopping point when the door opens or closes. I have not yet had a chance to take it into the dealer and was thinking about waiting until my second oil change, in about 2K miles. My questions are - Has anyone had this problem and if so, how was it repaired (i.e. did new parts need to be ordered or can something just be tightened?). Also, by waiting, am I running the risk of doing more damage? Thanks
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the Touring is 'tighter' than the other trims, and has a little more road feel - at the expense of some road noise and feeling some bumps. A compromise always made when considering a 'sports sedan'. The reason I didn't end up in a TL (or a Maxima SE) was because those cars in trying to be a 'sports sedan' and giving you higher handling limits, what you get in return is a bumpier, noisier ride, and more torque steer. But, wwest is right, you are not going to get balanced handling and elimination of things like torque steer by putting 60%+ of the weight and 250hp+ all at the front of the car. The TL, Maxima, Avalon (in any trim) - not sports sedans - although any of them will blow about anything else off the road at least until the road develops some curves. FWD does have its advantages, but vehicle dynamics not one of them! The BMW 3s and 5s continue to define the term - for whatever it really means.
  • Hi All,
    Has anyone heard a "ding" noise while driving? I am thinking it might be some safety mechanism being activated, since I heard this once while I was accelerating more aggressively than usual.
  • dandldandl Posts: 57
    I have to say that the seats in our Limited are very comfortable. After reading that a few posters found that their Limited's seats were uncomfortable ie: "lumpy", "feels like your sitting on a bowling ball" etc., I really tried to focus in on any "odd" padding in our seats and I personally could not find anything to complain about. Hope this helps.
    Laura
  • dandldandl Posts: 57
    It may have been your VSC warning tone. I "activated" the light and warning tone when I deliberately tested the car in a skid on an icy spot in a parking lot after our first big snow storm :blush: When the car perceived the "skid", a warning light flashed (very briefly) under the fuel gage and a quick warning tone sounded. The interesting thing was that I never felt out of control of the car and it responded just fine. The car manual explains more about this....
    Laura
  • I made a similar comment above, but I’ll reiterate it here.

Any four door sedan really has too much girth to be considered a sport anything in my book. I’ve had a VW Phaeton, Audi A6 and seriously test driven M3 and M5. The BMW’s were probably the closest, but once you stepped back into a sports car, you realize it’s all just marketing hype.
  • K and N Filters just announced you can order air filters for the 2005 and 2006 Avalon
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    That is if you're interested in coating your MAF/IAT sensors with oil wicked from the K&N and then the oil coating covered with all the dirt particles the K&N doesn't "filter".

Completely removing any and all filtration will only add, at the most, 10% to the engine capability and even that only at WOT and near max engine RPM. So now put the K&N back in and you lose maybe 50% of that 10% you had with no filtration.

So the bottom line is that using the K&N will add about 13HP to your base 268HP just prior to the transaxle upshifting. If you DIY clean the MAF/IAT every oil change then maybe it makes sense.

If you're a boy-racer personality type and like to beat out the other guy at the traffic light then go for it.

Yes, we will probably accept their ad money and run K&N's on our 997/GT3's at the upcoming 24 hours of Daytona but those engines are torn down and rebuilt after each race.
  • "Would be curious to know if you were driving the 745, why not the LS instead of the Av?"

I don't want to spend that kind of money on a car any more, whether an LS or a 745. We're saving for two kids going to college, and I'm more interested in retiring early than driving an expensive car. In short, my priorities have changed.

When I was younger, I always wanted a high-end German car and I got my wish. It's out of my system. Now I'm more interested in cheap, comfortable, reliable transportation. The Avalon fit the bill pretty well for me.
  • "also it has been proved here its faster than 745 and 645 for ur info"

You might be right. I never did any scientific timing on the 745i, but I always thought it was a little slower than BMW claimed. Especially at 5k feet where I do my daily driving.

The Avalon is 800lbs lighter, and that could make up the difference for a less powerful engine and a 5-speed. With better rubber, the Avalon might well be as fast, or faster than an '02 745i -- so long as you're going straight, and you don't want to go further than, say, a quarter mile :).

But seriously, I'm not going to quibble over a tenth of a second. It just doesn't matter to me.
    $35K seems a mite high for a used 06 LTD, but you're in the business and could shed more light on my guesstimate. From what I read in these forums, selling prices for new ones range from $28K to $32K reasonably well equipped, depending where in the country you're located. I would think wholesale values on a used one would be lower than that. Could be difficult finding a buyer at that high a price. I cannot for the life of me figure why the problems he says he's having can't be made right.
    think mackabee is just calling a man's bluff, certainly beginning to look like the car doesn't exist - somebody with an agenda?
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    :confuse: Didn't Pat the Host tell us to knock off this kind of talk?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Pat the Host sure did.
    Will somebody please tell me what I said was wrong this time? :confuse:
    Seems this business of "you're not supposed to say that" is being taken to extremes!
    Also, if memory serves Pat, didn't you rule that we should email you if we object to something another person says, and NOT say so publicly??
  • 35K sure sounds high for what is essentially an used Avalon. It is a known fact that the minute you drive the car off the dealer's lot, you will lose 10 to 15% of the car's value. Given that you have driven the car for few months and put about 5000 miles on the odometer, 35K sound extremely high and nobody in their right mind will pay that much when you can buy a brand new Avalon for as much or less than that. If you really want to "Dump" the car then you certainly wouldn't ask 35K for it.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We need to talk about the Avalon. We need to not talk about each other and we need to not talk about discussion management. And we need to not talk about anything else that's disruptive and off-topic.

EMAIL me if you have comments to make about what I am saying. Further posts that include any of these things will be removed without notice.
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    FYI, my reply was not to your post. :)
  • not being able to turn it off. I live in the New England. This car will leave you high and dry in a Blizzard. My problem with not being able to turn it off is that, when the car just gets some momentum, the Trac-cntl activates and shuts your pedal off. There was one incident where by the time i got moving, it turned off in the middle of an intersection with a truck coming toward my side. It felt like an eternity before the system recovered and i got out of the way. Toyota has taken away too much control from the Driver. I would love it if they bought the car back.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I thought traction control was a safety feature that maximized the traction available under slippery conditions. Rather than not moving at all, the car proceeds as quickly as it can without the wheels spinning. Please let me know if this is not how it functions. I would much prefer to have traction control than ABS. ABS equipped vehicles have longer stopping distances in ice and snow conditions (contrary to what most believe).
    grew up and learned to drive in NE and remember well how important it was to maintain speed to be able to get thru drifts, up hills, and those snow banks the plows will leave at cross streets. your problem is not really with Toyota per se (although they should provide a means to deactivate things like TRAC and VSC) but with this technology that is becoming so popular on today's cars. The Avalon is one of many cars out there that now has these kind of problems AND expect it to get worse! Glad to hear that the car decided to give you some throttle back before that truck hit you!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Please post where it is documented that ABS cars have longer stopping distances on ice.
  • mem4mem4 Posts: 52
    I tried the traction control on Thanksgiving with 3-4" of unplowed snow on the side roads. I went up a hill that had been tough to get up with my 4x4 Tundra. The Traction Control kept the car moving, prevented the wheels from spinning and let me keep going at 20-25 MPH. I just put my foot on the gas and the car kept moving, I never felt the Traction Control remove power.