Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It should look quite different than the photos since you don't get to see what they use on the LE in place of the fake wood and fake metal.
    Also, all the XLE photos the posted have leather. You don't get to see what the standard cloth looks like.
    An LE interior will look much different than the photos of the XLEs pictured.
  • woow thanks for posting that i would always love to see some action in the new avvy wohooo !!!
  • hylynerhylyner Posts: 216
    "A controversial subject in these forums and seems to upset those who are happy with their Avy's."
    Yes, it is a controversial subject, yet I don't know why it's necessary to add comments like "seems to upset those who are happy with their Avy's". I suggest that may only be meant to incite more controversy and little else.
    As a matter of fact, the truth of the matter is exactly the opposite. Way more nastiness in these discussions is directed toward those who say they have no problems with their rides. Perhaps this is because in all forums discussing it, favourable reports vastly outnumber the unfavorable ones, who knows.
    But it is a fact. Favorable reports do outnumber the unfavorable ones by a wide margin no matter where you look.
    Take for example your referenced "active talk at Transmission problems with the Lexus ES-300 site"
    If you examine this forum closely, two things can be noted very quickly.
    The first is that only about 30 or so actual complaints exist there (over the 3 year period)--with a huge amount of pro and con discussion accompanying almost every posted complaint. Is this "Hype" or not? Most would agree that it is. A lot of it gets nasty, hype or not.
    Second, and perhaps more important, within that same forum there are several hundred posts by others where posters state they don't have any hesitation; don't notice it; wonder what the fuss is all about; don't consider it a safety issue as alledged; and so on. (many of these favorable posts are followed by nasty comments from those who don't agree BTW)
    So this subject is indeed controversial, but perhaps the catalyst for controversy seems to flow from acrimonious and very negative reaction from the few who complain about problems and find the majority don't always agree with them. I would agree this could be a frustrating experience for the ones who say they have problems, and may be the main reason for their sometimes angry responses.
    Meanwhile, back to the Avalon discussion?
  • In light of the discussions here about the actual MPG people are getting in their Avalons and the many comparisons to the Chrysler 300C, I thought this blurb from a NY Times article was interesting. This was in an article discussing the EPA's plan to change their mileage calculations to more accurately reflect "real world" driving and the fact that few car owners ever see the numbers on the window sticker when they pull up to the gas pump.

The most inaccurate results came in city driving, especially involving hybrid cars. But popular models like the Chrysler 300C sedan also had inaccurate estimates: the magazine calculated its fuel economy in city driving at 10 miles a gallon, versus the 17 m.p.g. estimate on its window sticker, a difference of 41 percent.

Kinda makes the 14MPG (actual) I get in city driving with my old Suburban look a lot better! Still want a Avalon though!
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Just ignore him, Hylner. Or else he will turn the Avalon discussion in a new direction and that is the last thing we need.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    this actually came from a recent CR article on the same subject - and yes, I'm sure we have a number of city-bound Av drivers that get actual mileages in the teens. I drove a Suburban for over 10 years and did get 15-16 overall on about a 70% highway mix - as opposed to my Av's 27. But, under the same conditions that an Av would get 16 mpg or so, I don't believe there is any V8 powered 5-6000 lb. truck that could realistically crack that same 10 mpg that you cite for the hemi Chrysler..
    this actually came from a recent CR article on the same subject - and yes, I'm sure we have a number of city-bound Av drivers that get actual mileages in the teens. I drove a Suburban for over 10 years and did get 15-16 overall on about a 70% highway mix - as opposed to my Av's 27. But, under the same conditions that an Av would get 16 mpg or so, I don't believe there is any V8 powered 5-6000 lb. truck that could realistically crack that same 10 mpg that you cite for the hemi Chrysler..
    I dont know the EPA actually calculates its mileage but my 2003 Camry gets very close to what the EPA rates it. Generally, in stop and go traffic I get anywhere from 17 to 23 mpg and on the highway i got as high as 33 mpg (my car is a V6 btw ). EPA ratings are 21/29. I think EPA ratings are possible to acheive if one can control their right foot but i know with 268 HP under the hood it is very hard to do. :P
    your Camry sounds like my Avalon (mpg wise) - the Avalon a substantially larger and more powerful car, of course. The problem is, of course - what actually is 'City' driving. If I lived in Manhattan, the land of eternal gridlock, mileage probably is better termed in blocks per gallon and then you have a good portion of the population that uses a car for little more than 5 minute local trips to the grocery and back. Top that off with the obvious influence of driver habits and that the mfgrs. design the cars to maximize results on these non-road tests - then, you have some large variations. However, don't think it is too much of a problem as long as everybody understands that these numbers are only relative to each other and not an indication of what to really expect.
  • With my average driving I get 23 MPG combo in the DFW area.

Steve
  • jdre86jdre86 Posts: 30
    I don't know if this has already been discussed in this forum or not. I did a search with keyword 'VSC' and I didn't see where anyone had talked about disabling it. I know how, have tried it and it does work. If anyone cares to know, just respond to this post and I will tell you how to do it. I live in eastern PA and was stuck in the snow and the traction control kept the wheels from spinning so I couldn't go anywhere. However, after disabling the VSC I was on my way.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    It would be nice to print out the instructions and have them in the car if ever needed. Please post.
  • rufus5rufus5 Posts: 11
    I get about the same as you in suburban Suffolk county N.Y. :)
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Not that much. If you scout the websites that are currently posting 07 Camry pics you will see there is an 07 4 cylinder with cloth interior.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I contend that th easiest and quickest way is to remove the ABS pumpmotor fuse or simply unplug the pumpmotor connection itself.

But by all means don't forget to re-enable it afterwards, it may one day save your life.
    Many cars have an off switch for people who want to play around spinning the tires for fun and doing donuts.
    The off switch resets itself back to on everytime you restart the car.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    So . . . does that mean that the Lexus procedure works for the Avalon? Any how do you turn back on the VSC?
  • jdre86jdre86 Posts: 30
    I hadn't seen that thread before I posted. Thanks though.
  • hey guys i tried thoes steps but it never worked :(
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    Yes, I have done a search and have not found a "fix" (it is not the seat, glove box, seat belt or rear shade). The rattle is on the passenger side of the car and seems that it is only noticeable when the temperature is below freezing. I have had my 2005 Limited back to the dealer twice already and although they hear "it" during a test drive, they can't find and fix "it". I am going back to the shop next week and again leaving it for the day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Since loss of traction on a FWD vehicle can be so much more hazardous than RWD the Trac off capability is usually only on RWD with Trac.

I don't think I have EVER seen a VSC "off" capability except the PSM on a Porsche and even then the Trac functionality does not turn off and PSM (VSC "equivalent)" will be re-enabled if you even touch the brakes lightly.
  • regisregis Posts: 94
    "I don't think I have EVER seen a VSC "off" capability except the PSM on a Porsche"

My former Avalon (2000 XLS) had the option of turning off the VCS. Or was it my 1996 Avalon? Anyway one of them had the option to disable VCS.
  • My 2003 Honda Odyssey had a button on the dash to disable the traction control. Not sure if this was the same as VSC.
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/crown.html

The Crown Concept's innovative styling and superior driving performance makes a shift in the Crown's concept of being "stationary" to being "active," raising the traditional feeling of hospitality to the world's highest level so as to propose the ideal for a next-generation luxury class sedan.

It seems like there is a very good chance that the Crown is coming over here. So the question is will the Crown replace the Avalon as Toyota's flagship sedan or will it be a notch above the Avalon in terms of luxury and performance ??
  • donb1donb1 Posts: 47
    Dan

I have the EXACT same problem. It drives me nuts. The dealer said it was the sunroof and nothing can be done. I think it is BS. I had my son listen and he thinks it is something where the dash is touching something like the windshield. It goes away as soon as the car warms up a little bit. I am thinking I will put some anti squeak felt along the dash to see if it stops. I will let you know if it does anything
    Japan always has many models that are exclusive to Japan.

If if were to come, it would likely be a replacement to the Avalon so there would be more separation from the Camry, but more likely it wouldn't come since Toyota would not want a vehicle even more expensive than the Avalon that would further dilute the worth of getting a lower end Lexus.
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    Thanks, Don. I have my third appointment on Tuesday and I'm really hoping that this time they fix this very annoying problem. This is my fourth new Toyota and, unless this rattle is fixed, it will be my last Toyota. The service advisor told me that they have had a number of rattle problems that they have not been able to resolve. Short of moving to a warmer climate, I'm at my wits end. If I can't get this rattle resolved, I'll contact Toyota for one last try before I sell my Avalon.

I consider myself a reasonable guy, but a $38K should not sound like a 20 year old car.
  • stlmostlmo Posts: 40
    Don & Dan, Our 05 Limited seems to do the same (or similar) thing. When below freezing, and only until the interior warms up, there is a noise coming from the passenger side when any sort of bumps are encountered. It seems to be at the passenger dash and is not so much a rattle in the normal sense as a really irritating noise that is hard to describe. More like something between a rattle and some sort of squeek. It really sounds like the "wood" dash trim strip interacting with/against the dash pad material itself. :confuse:

As an aside, our front wheel drive Bonneville SLE had a traction control switch.
  • angeange Posts: 158
    The new Dodge charger has a VSC on-off switch on the dash. ange1