Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    easttexas: I did forget to mention that my dealer undercoats "all" his cars--I know it does help--as i've said many times--our Limited is Church Quiet. Some wind noise is going to happen--traveling at 70+MPH is bound to create turbulence and noise--think of an airp[lane or your house--its just to what degree of volume the noise becomes more noticeable.
    Bob
  • jordan7jordan7 Posts: 77
    While traveling on the highway about 80 mph, something hit the windshield of my 05 Av Ltd. It left a small scuff mark (not really a scratch) which will not clean off and seems to be etched in the glass, about one inch long just behind the rear view mirror. Any suggestions how to polish this out. It seems to be only on the surface.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    There are a number of commercial products that claim to do what you want.

I asked a glass shop your question once and they gave me a supply of finely ground pumice, which when mixed with water to form a paste worked very well. I believe all glass shops use it.
  • mstemmstem Posts: 113
    My '06 Avalon Limited, purchased in September '05, needs a light cleanup to get ready for spring. I am particularly interested in something to clean and condition the (perforated) leather seats. I know there are forums devoted to cleaning and polishing but I really wish to avoid the "Zaino zealot" types! Please share with me what you use. Thanks in advance...

Mike
  • i used Leatherique on my Land Cruiser and I now use it on leather furniture. I think it's better than Zymol or anything else I have used. Do a google search for their website.
  • easttexaseasttexas Posts: 23
    In your reply you said "..my dealer undercoats all his cars" and that suggest to me that you may not have driven an Avalon 'without' undercoating to do a comparison...Yes? No? If the answer is No (I did not) I was looking for a response like:
    "Yes, I bought an Avy without undercoating, lot's of road noise, had it undercoated and now it's as quite as a mouse (or save yourself some time and money, there was little difference").

This is my ONLY noteworthy disappointment in the car. By that I mean if a person wanted to look close enough I'm sure they could find fault with, say, a Rolls or Lambo, but I think it might be nitpicking for the most part (as some may view road noise as the same).

I do appreciate your response and a person would have to be pretty gullible to think undercoating doesn't help....but how much?
  • gypsy13gypsy13 Posts: 28
    Nobody ever rides in the back seat of my '06 ltd, so I didn't find the problem there until recently -- after 12,500 miles. Someone reclined the back seat and it wouldn't come back up. The spring-loaded device that pushes the seat back up when you pull the handle was not connected to the seat back....never was...neither side.

It wasn't too hard getting the left side connected, but the other side was difficult because when you push the seat back far enough to slide the bar into the receiver in the seat back, you can't see it.

I finally looped a string around the connecting rod and fished the rod up and down while coaxing the seat gently back...until it finally slipped into place.

Without these connectors in place, the back seats would fly forward in the case of a panic stop or crash...except for the seat belts. And the seats would recline, but not return to the upright position.

It was obvious that these seats were not connected when the car left the factory. I'm not upset, since it didn't cause an incident and I was able to fix it myself (barely), but it did surprise me. I just didn't expect that in Toyota's top line car.

Don
    Bought an 06 XLS 2/13/06 and have 1400 miles on it. There is almost nothing I dislike about this car, except road noise (I have addressed on this site) and the cruise "control", which is a very small fish compared to road noise. Here in east Texas we have a lot of rolling hills, something the equivalent of a typical interstate overpass except drawn out in length. When I approach the grade, at about 70 mph, start assending, the speed drops by about 4 mph (remember, this is a very slight grade) then the ponies under the hood get flustered, start trying to play catch up, shift to a lower gear, rpm goes nuts (bout 3800) and before it reaches the crest it shifts back into high gear and all is in harmony.

Here's the question: Why does it have to play catch up? Instead of loosing the 4 mph why can't it hold a tighter control (I can negotiate the same route without cruise, hold it on 70 and it will not downshift). This is not a major issue but it is annoying and it can't be good for the tranny or mpg.

I plan on talking it to the dealer about this but what I expect from them is "It's the nature of the beast", that's normal for the Toyota and Toyota Avalon. By the way, the Toyota dealer I bought this Avy from on a scale of 1-10 would rate a 2. The only reason I give them a 2 is because they have electricity and an inside bathroom.

Anyone else had a similar cc problem?
  • The sensitivity of most cruise controls can be adjusted. After your rating of the dealer I'm sure they will be glad to fix your problem.
  • j_hbrockj_hbrock Posts: 32
    Hopefully you sense the sarcasm in my thread title.

I know the best solution to my question is - "You'll have to wait and see" but I hope there are some educated guesses based on past years to help me "predict the future"

Come Sept. of 2006 the '07 Avalon should be popping up at dealerships (so I've heard). Since I am not in a rush to buy, I might as well gut it out and wait - hopefully a few new features might be available and maybe even a 6 speed tranny. Oh yeah, my question....

What will the difference in price be between the very few 2006s and the new 2007s be that are on the lot? Will all of the negotiating tactics and strategies I have been learning be in vain due to the newness of the '07 and the dealerships will be unlikely to budge on price?

I am trying to get a ballpark on '06 prices of the Touring compared to speculation on '07 prices in the first few months of release. My buddy got an '06 Avy for $30,500 OUT THE DOOR. Great deal! What are my chances in the first few months of the '07 being out there?

Thanks in advance.
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    easttexas: Sorry, the Limited I test drove also had undercoating as the dealer undercaots them automatically before they go on the lot. That was the only Avalon Limited test dricve as I was sold immediately on the ride, comfort and quietness of the car. Undercoating is BOTH a protection and sound deadoning material--so, I'd get it done--it can only help! I hope ya get your Avalon quired down--guess I'm fortunate!
    Bob
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Here's a free opinion:

1. New cars at the beginning of any model year will bring a premium. Buyers pay it to be the first to drive one home. This happens with many cars, not just the Avalon.

2. If the Avy gets the 6 speed (probably will), add another premium to #1.

3. If Toyota PR somehow convinces the world that the '07 Avalon is truly "new and improved".... add another premium to #2 and #1. It can happen.

If you are not in a hurry and don't need a new car now, you have a 5 month wait for a new model year. It's probably worth it. Others may have more ideas.....
  • benkaybenkay Posts: 8
    I had a 03 XL and now own a 05 Touring. I agree that 03 was much a quieter and softer ride. The firmer ride on the 05 Touring seems to pick up more road noises and vibrations. I don't know what your issue with the seats is, but I find no issue with them myself. I do have this rattle/chattering noise coming from rear right door area that I have been meaning to have checked out. Other than that, I love this car.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    There are those who say the undercoating can block the moonroof drains.
  • mem4mem4 Posts: 52
    Here is the URL:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213860

I would call them at 800-527-2781 and ask for the wiper blades for the Avalon. When I used their on-line ordering form they have the drivers side listed but their computer sent out the metal arm instead of the rubber blade. It was easy to return and I have had good luck dealing with them. They show their parts as discounted but you also pay shipping so you may want to check with your local dealer for the price on the blades.
  • leitannleitann Posts: 1
    I Currently have a Camry, had zero trouble with it, but I thought that I might move up to the Avalon because the Camry does have quite a bit of road noise. Now, after reading all the posts about all of the other problems posted here, I'm wondering if the Avalon is truly a step up, and not just a "label" to impress others. I truly just want a quieter, more comfortable ride. I am puzzled.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The seats were just a little bigger on the '03. By no means is this an uncomfortable car. I am a big guy and just preferred the wider seat on my '03. When I washed my car this weekend, I noticed the weather stripping on the driver's door was not perfectly aligned (a piece was tucked in too far causing a gap), I played with it a little and now notice a little less wind noise.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• lzclzc Posts: 483
    I'm also in the middle of a Camry/Avalon decision, having enjoyed two Camrys. I think you'll find the Avalon to be the more comfortable car. It's seats are larger and cabin roomier.

As to road noise, my test drive of an Avalon Touring model over several different road surfaces seemed quiet to me. I should add, though, that my wife drove the freeway portion of the test at only 60-65 mph.

I'm inclined to wait to see what Avalon does for 2007. The current transmission is dated, and possibly flawed. The CD player isn't mp3 compatible, the center stack includes a tape player in place of NAV (in Touring). Avalon needs a tad updating, imo.

Good luck.
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 357
    My opinion: Get the 2007 Camry XLE V6. It doesn't have the defective 5-speed transmission (although who knows whether the new 6-speed is any better) and some of the early-release models are MADE IN JAPAN, so most of the build-quality issues the Kentucky plant is having probably won't be an issue. You can identify the Japanese build ones by their VIN which begins with a J.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    and it wouldn't be logical that Toyota may use the same transmission control software and pedal design in the 6 speed as it does with the 5? Given that the whole point seems to be maximizing mpg, it is also not too much of a stretch to assume that the 6 speed to be 'worse' than the 5 simply because now we have more gears to search thru? My point is that the trans. is NOT defective - good or bad, it works the way it is designed to!
    Hey Captain: The transmission may not be "defective" in terms of "malfunctioning" but it is ill-fitting for the purpose. Considering the number of complaints Toyota has had about this - and there are considerably more complaints in the V6 Camry implementation, one would think that Toyota would change the functionality to one that is more "normal" in operation, and more similar in behavior to the unintrusive units offered by the competition.
    Then again, I don't know why Toyota has let this matter persist since they introduced the 5 speed in 2002. The research I have done shows complaints about the transmission/hesitation issues going back to when they first introduced the 5-speed into the 2002 Camry and Lexus ES300. The previous 4-speed was a model of smoothness.
    Like you, I think the 6-speed will be busier and more difficult to manange than the 5-speed and the 8-speed on the new Lexus 460 must be an absolute nightmare. CST - a new acronym perhaps - Continuously Shifting Transmission :)
    Interestingly, Nissan/Infiniti is moving toward CVT's as opposed to more gears with greater complexity, although I can't say I am a fan of CVT's either.
    If a glove has 4 fingers, it may not be defective, but as designed, it doesn't fulfill it's purpose!
    Some personally directed comments and subsequent responses have been removed. Let's just keep comments focused on the subject and not each other. If you see a post you feel is out of line, please email the host for assistance instead of responding. Thanks.
  • alan_s,

Two weeks ago, you confirmed yourself that the transmission in your Avalon is not defective. You discoved a defect in the offset of your gas pedal, that you fixed, and cured your transmission misbehaviors.

Please re-read your own message #11901 that you posted for us on April 4 to tell us that you had "discovered that in the (your) Avalon there is a "dead spot" from accelerator idle-position to on-throttle, so an inherent time-delay exists every time the pedal is depressed when fully off."

You capped your message #11901 with a key finding:

"I fabricated a piece of plastic of appropriate thickness that when installed in the correct position in the accelerator housing upwards of the pedal shaft, I slightly changed the "off-throttle" or home position of the gas pedal to be just below the point at where RPM's increase (just below off-idle), essentially taking up the initial dead-spot or slack, and simulating a partly on-throttle condition to be signalled to the computer, without raising the idle RPM's.

I have been driving the Avalon like this for 4 days now and have found that the hesitation has all but disappeared. There is no hesitation "off the mark" - the engine responds immediately to on-throttle, and when lifting off the accelerator and reapplying during traffic, the transmission remains in the current gear because the ECU “thinks” the foot is still on throttle (or shifts DOWN if braking) and simply picks up when the throttle is reapplied. THERE IS NO GEAR HUNTING, NO MORE "SLIPPING" AND NO MORE HESITATION! "

alan_s, your transmission is not defective! And the Avalon transmission has not been reported to share the serious transmission/hesitation issues of the 5-speed that the 2002 Camry and Lexus ES300. It is misleading to "lump" the 2005-6 Avalon 5-speed with the earlier 5-speed transmission.

Pick your battles... such as how to fix rattles. ;)

havalongavalon
    True, however what I omitted to convey to you all, is that recently the ECU started to compensate for the changed gas pedal position, and gradually reverted to it's previous strange behavior and "hesitation". Very frustrating.
    I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes over the weekend and the transmission is now less erratic, so something or the other is being reset to factory default which changes over time.
    I really don't know what the "issue" is - transmission, throttle sensors, etc, but the "system" has some anomalies that adversely affect the driveability of the car.
    All I know is that my Avalon becomes almost undriveable after a period of time with spontaneous surges, changes and hesitation episodes which make it very difficult to control in bumper to bumper traffic. My wife refuses to drive it in traffic.
    I am pursuing this with Toyota, however as this is obviously a sensitive issue for some people, I shall refrain from posting further information on the subject.
    Please feel free to post whatever information you find out and whatever experiences you have.

The posts that beat up on people who report negative experiences are going to stop - or if they don't stop, they are going to continue to be removed.

This is the place to share what happens, and I encourage you to do just that. Just as I hope everyone else will continue to share their experiences - positive or negative - with the Avalon. That's what we're here for.
  • alan_s,

Thank you for this update. I fully understand your frustration, you have certainly encountered and endured an extraordinary number of problems and have put a lot of effort in trying to figure out causes and possible fixes. As complicated as car control systems are nowadays, and since your car is under warranty, I would leave it to Toyota to fix it. If your transmission misbehaviors are as flagrant as you describe them, there is no way their service people could ignore or dismiss them. And if they cannot fix your car, then they should replace it with a new one.

Best of luck,

havalongavalon
    Everyone needs to understand that everyone's experience with a vehicle is unique. Because someone has a different experience with the same vehicle you own than you have had does not make that other person wrong.

And everyone also needs to understand that all are VERY WELCOME to post experiences here and that everyone should be free to post whatever has been his or her experience without being peppered with "no that didn't happen, you are wrong" comments.

If you want to post a contrasting experience that you have had with the car, certainly that is fine. If you want to tell someone else what he/she has or has not experienced or what he/she should or should not be posting, that is most definitely NOT fine.

We really need to get this straight; it's gone on for way too long. If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to email me. I'll be glad to discuss it further off-line.

But meanwhile, everyone here is on notice that comments that have anything to do with telling other posters how to behave, post, what they did or did not experience, are not going to be tolerated.

Now, please, let's get back to talking about the car.

Thank you for your cooperation.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    there are a number of manufacturers besides Toyota (VW, Daimler and GM come to mind) that are having issues with these silly DBW systems - IMO overapplications of what is still a fledging technology. And there are certainly mfgrs. that handle it in a more 'normal' manner (Honda and Nissan come to mind). The 4 speeds you cite other than being naturally less mechanically complicated also not the same sort of DBW technology? CVTs may end up being the new wave once they can get them to work in higher HP and low temperature applications. Nissan's (to the best of my knowledge) first successful attempt in a higher power/weight vehicle - the 240 hp Murano.
    That all said - I fully understand the objections you have with the way the transmission reacts in certain circumstances - but, for my part, don't find it so objectionable that I would be willing to trade off that power/economy combination that all us Avalon owners experience. And yep, from Toyota's perspective I'm sure they have told you that there is nothing wrong with it, that it is simply working the way it is designed.
    PS CST -more properly 'continuously slipping transmission'? ;)
    Thanks for the good advice Bob. Your right, it can only help. I'll put that high on the "things to do" list and let you know how it goes (difference it makes).

Good comment the Host made (reply to your message 12053).

ET
    Taking the Av in for window tinting tomorrow. Anyone have this done and had regrets, such as terrible radio reception or other.

Thanks in advance