Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• ctlctl Posts: 123
    6 speed tran. with Camry (ES350 too). Plus probably whatever new tech goodies 2007 Camry have. I am choosing between these two. The invoice price diff. is roughly 3-3.5K for XL/T/XLS v.s. LE/SE/XLE. I am leaning toward Avalon for our next family car (2 young kids), but my frugal side demands me to justify. Now, other than obviously being larger in size (which is fine but not necessary to me) and a step up in Toyota family, what does those 3K buy me? tangible/intangible. Please share your side of story, thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    As in the Camry discussion, let me repeat my request that those who have some thoughts for you come to comparison discussion to respond. Here's the link: ctl, "Toyota Camry 2007 vs Toyota Avalon" #59, 30 Jun 2006 12:14 pm.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Posts: 104
    Hello havalongavalon!
    Good to see that you are still around!! It would be nice if I could get on consumer reports payroll. No I am just an average consumer but I do like to do some research before I purchase a new product.
    I have been reading the discussions on the Lexus ES350 vs the Avalon limited and was wondering whether my next vehicle might be a new Lexus. I will have to go to VCR to drive one as we don't have a dealer here. Have you driven the ES yet?
    Would be great to hear your opinion on this!!!
    Regards!!
  • weavercityweavercity Posts: 11
    In the current issue of Forbes magazine on page 58, Forbes makes a case that consumers don't seem to mind the "bumbling" of Toyota. They point out that there seems to be a disconnect between perceived Toyota quality on behalf of the public and the hard data surrounding quality problems; as measured by the number of recalls as a percentage of vehicles in operation. Toyota scored 10.1% recalls vs. GM which scored 6.8%. They also point out that redesigned Avalon (05- 06) has dropped in Consumer Reports reliability ratings from "much better than average" to "average". In another issue it is pointed out that Buick's Lacross and Lucern have higher reliability rateings than the Avalon. When we read about the numerous transmission issues posted here as well as other glitches it makes you wonder. Noneless I just returned from a 1500 mile trip in my Avalon and enjoyed the trip. However, I'm going to take a second look at the Buicks.
  • angeange Posts: 158
    one big reason The L is made in Japan.
  • After riding in my '06 Limited for more than 15 minutes the seam on the bottom of the seat becomes like torture to sit on. It is raised and becomes hardened after sitting on it.

I can't be the only person who has experienced this uncomfortable seat. Has anyone either had the dealer fix the problem or gone to any upholstery shop to eliminate or smooth out the seam or somehow add aditional padding? I recently added a seat pad to endure the discomfort... which is ridiculous to have for a brand new car.

I'm willing to go to an upholstery shop to have the seat modified. Has anyone come up with a fix?
  • lntlnt Posts: 189
    I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My cell phone battery was low, so I plugged it into my console and it said, "Not charging". I tried another cord and it didn't work either. I tried plugging both cords into our van to charge my phone and they both work, so evidently, something is wrong with the charger (or whatever it is called )in my car. I am almost afraid to take it to the local dealer because they have caused more problems than they have fixed on my past avalons. I hate to drive all the way into Dallas. Anyone have any ideas??
    I am glad somebody else agrees with me! I have complained about the seats from day 1. Have had my 05 for a year and 4 months now. The service manager told me (the day after I bought it) that they couldn't do anything about it. Every time I come home from a long trip I threaten to sell it just because of the seats. The seam across the back of the seat is terrible, too. If you get something done about yours and it works, let me know! Other than the seats and the fact that my cell phone charger isn't working right now, I love the car and have had no other complaints.
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    You are not alone.....As an owner of an 05 Limited, I didn't realize how uncomfortable the driver's seat could be on long trips until after I took my first long trip. At first, I thought it was because of the recent back surgery I had, but when my wife also found the seat uncomfortable, I thought, perhaps, that there was something wrong with the seat, so I brought it back to the dealership. They simply said that all Limited's with the AC ventilated seats are like that. Well, from that point on, any long trips are usually done in my wife's Accord. As much as I like the AC ventilated seats, I would not do it again if it means giving up any comfort.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    The electrical outlets in the Avalon only work if the car is running or the ignition is in the "on" position.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    . . . and I have just the opposite experience. After a long trip in my '06 Limited, I am rested and relaxed. After long trips in other cars I have owned, I always was tense and had a headache. The Avalon is truly a joy to drive and to spend long hours in on the road!
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    Agree-The only other seats I've enjoyed more were in a Volvo S80. I'm 6'2" and weigh over 250 lbs--so if anyone was to "sink" into the seats it would be me! Our 06 limited is a "dream" road car.
    Bob
    My car was running. My husband was driving and I was trying to charge my phone. Is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown?
  • rsblaskirsblaski Posts: 68
    Maybe this is another Toyota "safety" feature, and like the nav system only works when the car is stopped.
    After all, your attention would be taken from driving the car if you were plugging something into the power outlets. :P

OK, end of sarcasm, but not the end of the utter contempt I have for the nav system when compared to others.
  • rsblaskirsblaski Posts: 68
    I just started having a problem with my '06 Limited I haven't seen on this board yet.
    Yesterday, when I pressed the nav/ac/stereo control panel, it only opened about a half inch and cannot even be pulled out manually.
    Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there an easy fix that doesn't involve going to the dealer? (I hate how long it takes them to do even the most minor repairs.)
    Thanks to anyone with a suggestion.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    a common complaint I hear about heated/cooled seats on all makes - what do you suppose the mfgrs. have to leave out to be able to put in whatever is required to heat and cool the seats - maybe a little padding?
    My seats are wnoderful but, then again, don't own the Limited.
  • metamelmetamel Posts: 7
    I thought that the 2007 Avalon prices was supposed to be available Saturday or Monday (7-3-06), but I haven't seen any thing on Edmunds site. Does anyone know when this info might become available and where? Also, I'm not sure if the 6-speed automatic transmission is going to added to 07 Avalons; does anybody?

Note, I oringally put this message under 2007 Wishlist, but it seems as if that discussion has low number of readers. Thanks.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Posts: 202
    Should be any day now, perhaps on Wednesday. I was hoping for today as well..
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    Have 5700 miles on my 06 in less than 6 weeks; & find the drivers seat to be very comfortable. My wife has 5 crushed vertabrae & claims the pasenger seat to be very comfortable for her, even after 3 hours plus on the road.
    I know you were being sarcastic, but I did try it with the car stopped and just the acc switch on, too.
    Yeah, I think they did leave out the padding. I really wanted the XLS instead of the Limited, but the XLS seat bottoms were too short and so I wanted the seat extension feature. With the seat extended, it is about the same as my old avalon with the exception of the softness and the bolstering support. I didn't notice that it felt like I was sitting on a bowling ball until after I took a trip to Louisiana - 9 hours of riding!
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    Well, I guess that comfort is a pretty subjective evaluation. I don't know if you have the Limited, but all that I can say is that the seats, for me, are not at all comfortable on a long trip. I understand that the seats for all other models of the Avalon are different, however.

Good luck and continue to enjoy your Avalon!

dan
  • netwonnetwon Posts: 53
    Saw the sheet for myself, but that is for Toyota Canada...

Netwon
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Your thought about a blown fuse is a good one. Have you looked for a fuse chart in your manual?
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    drove my Limited 06 500 mile trip. I could not believe milage 32mpg on 89 octane with A/C on. Drove wonderfully. My cousin who is a car nut could not believe the car and all the stuff in the car. The backup camera was a big hit as well.
  • pcc49pcc49 Posts: 25
    What do you mean "backup camera"? The '06 Avalon limited does not come with the backup camera option! Do you mean the "cruise control" or are you talking about a different car?
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    Yes I have backup camera!!!!
    http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6295/cat/594

I installed aftermarket into DVD NAV Harness in the trunk..plug and play..pretty much. Get the most out your NAV system..also can play DVD's on the NAV screen if you want.
  • topgeartopgear Posts: 111
    Hi Neil! I guess you are saying you connected your camera without disturbing the dashboard. And, you connected the camera strictly to the unit in the trunk? Cool!

Also...can one watch DVD's while in motion?
    Perhaps you could share info like how much? And model numbers and where one can purchase this camera set-up?
    Thanks!
    -P
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    not sarcastic at all - fact. Read your owners manual, it is so full of cautions and warnings that it is a miracle that you don't have email in a release before you can even start your own car.
    TV lawyers - going beserk (and making work for themselves) and quite ridiculous!
  • angeange Posts: 158
    The fuse box is under the dash, left side of steering wheel. The cover swings down and all of the fuses are marked on the cover. There several spare fuse locations. You have to go to Toyota to get their special fuses. Couple of auto stores and radio shack didn't have any.

ange