Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• vicmvicm Posts: 18
    smuook, Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the specialty shop when they said they had the exact replacement windshield. I was not convinced that they were correct. I called them at least 4 times before the scheduled appointment. When the installer arrived he said they did not have the right windshield and recomended the OEM which had the acoustic layer
    auto dimmer and auto wipers. It was ordered and installed in a week.
  • rewoprewop Posts: 35
    Thanks for the info, Nimimi. I couldn't find an installer in this area who carried the Diamond line so I went with Llumar. They have a special high performance film for cars equipped with NAV, keyless ignition, etc. In this area (near Daytona Beach) the regular tint installed price is $149 while the NAV tint is $199. I get it installed next Monday.
    Rewop
    OK, Smuook, now you have me worried. No one in this area uses Madico. Shops I contacted seem to use 3M, Solargard, and Llumar. I'm hoping that since the film is specifically for vehicles with NAV that it will be ok. I don't recall the literature saying anything about it being a ceramic tint.
    Your car is silver, like mine, and looks very sharp with the tint and wheels. What tint level did you get?
    Rewop
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    I forgot to mention that Diamond is the premium window tinting from Sun Gard.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 302
    Just remember NOT to use anything with Ammonia in it to clean your tinted windows.........unless you like the color change.
  • smuooksmuook Posts: 35
    I've had Huper, Madico and Solargard in the past... Madico is good stuff, but it's not the only good stuff out there. I liked the Solargard I had in the past too (although that was awhile ago). I would talk with a few good tint shops in your area and see what they recommend. They will probably be biased toward their product line... but if you get a few opinions it will probably give you a good idea of what you need in your price range. You'll know the ceramic by the price tag... it will be $400-500. Way to expensive imho.

My tint is 35%... legal in Florida and most states. I like having only one tint on the entire car (as opposed to doing 35% in the front and 20% in the rear). I think it looks better.

Some things you might want to consider also when comparing... Total solar rejection. This is the bottom line number of how good the tint is. You don't need the best here... but if you are near the 50% range that is pretty good.

Also, one quality I like is low reflectivity. Does it look like tinted glass or does it look more like a mirror. This is one are where the ceramics do very good. They have a low relectivity (less mirror like). The Madico Onyx does very well in this area... which was a significant factor for me going with this film.

I don't have navigation... where is your antenna?
  • lntlnt Posts: 192
    I have enjoyed not having to have my "key" to lock/unlock and drive my car - but - I have had two incidences that have scared me. Not too long ago I drove across town to pick up my two granddaughters. When I got out of the car I left my purse with my key module in the car and closed the door. When we went to get in, the doors were locked! I had to call my husband to bring my extra key so I could unlock it. Then yesterday, I put my purse with the key in it in my car, closed the doors and went in the house to get the grandkids and the same thing happened. The doors were locked! I almost always put the girls in their carseats and my purse in the front seat, close the doors and go around to open my door and get in. Now, I am paranoid that I will forget to keep my key in my hand and that they are going to get locked in my car in this Texas heat! Has anyone else had this happen to them? When I first got my car, several times I accidentally left my purse with the key in it in the car and tried to lock the car with the button on the door and it wouldn't lock, so I assumed that if the key was inside the car, the car wouldn't lock. Evidently, that isn't true. Sorry for the long post, but I know if I tell all of this to the service manager, he will just say, "We have to witness it happen to be able to know what is wrong with it." HELP!
    I can't see the NAV antenna but I'm told it is under the rear package shelf. I plan on getting the 30 or so tint all around. The film is Llumar Axcess and it was introduced at the 2006 SEMA show. On the wewbsite it is described as not metallic and not ceramic, but it doesn't say just what it is, only that it is for today's cars with electronic gizmos. The solar rejection is "up to 56%" but it does not say what the visual light rejection is to achieve that rate. It has a lifetime warranty so it should be high quality. The tint shop is a family owned business that has been in the area for many years. The shop is clean, professional looking, and air conditioned. When I visited the shop there was a new Mercedes S550 which just had the Axcess applied and a new Range Rover was next. I hope all goes well on my '05 Avalon.
    I really don't know much about that film but I wish you luck with it. It sounds like a good way to go. Post the results when you are done. ;)
    I will try leaving the key inside and lock the doors. On my old Camry as long as the key was in the ignition it would not lock. Most guys I know carry their keys or such on their belt loop, I have never locked myself out but it must be a scary experience especially with children as my daughter has and instructed her son to open the door while in a state of panic. Toyota should be able to tell you but I will check it out
    Thanks. I have the Limited, so it is the pushbutton start. I had been bragging to everyone how I didn't have to worry about locking myself out of my car because it wouldn't lock if the key FOB was in the car. Ha, Ha. Joke's on me, but not very funny.
    I was just reviewing my owner's manual again and the thought hit me that maybe my fob battery is getting weak because I carry my cell phone and my key fob in my purse - separate pockets, but still in my purse. I bought my car the 1st of March in 05, I wonder what the battery life of the smart key fob is?
    My Limited is a late 06, I purchased it in July last year. I tried to lock myself out, I could not as I suspected. I left the spare module in the car, locked the doors and almost immediately the lights flashed and the doors opened, I did this three times, same effect so perhaps your battery is VERY weak. As to it's life span one would have to know the month it was originally installed by Toyota. I have no idea which battery at this point, I as you would have to look it up in the manual or call Toyota. If it is commonplace go to Walmart and they will replace it for you, good luck.
    Thanks. I am going to use my spare module until I can get the other one checked out. Even then, I am going to be very careful if my grandbabies are in the car! I don't trust it anymore. The manual also said that cell phone towers, etc. could make it malfunction, so maybe I was close to one of those?
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    You can't lock the doors if the keyfob is in the car when a door is open. Sounds to me that what happened was your keyfob was in your purse in the car and you closed your driver's door. The car "assumed" you were back in your car and locked the doors.

:)
    Mackabee
    The first time it happened, I got out of the car to get the girls and left my purse with the key fob in it and closed the door. I didn't try to lock it, but when I came back out with the girls it was locked. The second time, I opened the back door and set my purse in the floor, closed the door and went back in to get the girls, came back out and it was locked, so yes, my purse was in the car with the key fob in it both times. However, not long after I bought the car, I accidentally left the key fob in the car several times and tried to lock the door by pushing the button on the door handle, and the car wouldn't lock and I realized that I had left the key fob in the car. So that's what made me think that I wouldn't ever have to worry about locking myself out of my car.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    It strikes me that the logical way to do this is to have an IR sensor inside the car so it can sense the presence of body heat and therefore assume the key has not been left in the car "alone".

Any chance you had been using the seat heat on HIGH and as it cooled the person it thought was inside "disappeared"? Or you left a pet dog in the car those times it locked with no "one" inside?

My Porsche 996 has two of these, IR sensors, for intrusion detection with the alarm set but windows and sunroof open.
    I, too, tried to lock the doors while the keyless key fob was inside the car but was unsuccessful. The car gives a long, loud beep and does not lock the door. So, in my '05 keyless Avalon, you cannot lock the door when the key fob is inside. I'm still using the original battery.
    Did you ever look up the type of battery, having a spare would be a good idea in & out of the vehicle. As far as the Porsche response for what some of these transportation units cost they should make love to you.
    Not in this Texas 95 degree weather - or at least that is what it was the second time the incident happened! My dog doesn't get to ride in my car - he goes in the van. Why don't you make your suggestion to Toyota? Sounds good to me.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Hmmm...

Now that you bring it up driving my Porsche does feel a bit like making love...

Got a cigarette...??
    Well, mine does that, too, when I leave my fob in the car and try to lock the doors- beeps and doesn't lock - except for those two times when it malfunctioned. THen I didn't try to lock the doors - I just closed them and when I tried to open them a few seconds later, they were locked. If I had been someplace where I couldn't have gotten my spare fob, and the grandkids had been already in the car, they would have been in serious trouble! So don't put too much faith in the system working as it should EVERY time.
    Lets see, fast cars and smokes, hmm, short life span but enjoys it.
    EG029-07 Toyota TSB

To enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised. Please use the following procedure to address customer concerns.

2006 – 2007 model year Avalon vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.
    BEFORE VIN 4T1BK36B#7U243331

TSB EG029-07
    Today I had my silver 2005 Avalon windows tinted with Llumar Axcess VLR 30, a speciality film that works with NAV equipped vehicles. It looks just great and I'm very pleased with the workmanship of the installers. Also, I learned something new about my Avalon. During the course of the installation one of the installers asked me to come over to the car and feel the inside of my rear window. I did and it felt pitted and coarse. The installer said it was probably caused by "weld splatters" small bits of super-heated metal that land on the windshield and damage the glass. Most of the imperfections are on the sides of the glass and only a few imperfections are toward the center. Although you can't see the imperfections, you can feel them, but when the tint film is applied its like having a small grain of sand on the window and suddenly they are visible. The installer spent a lot of extra time to minimize the appearance of these imperfections. He said he sees these "weld splatters" on about 1 out of 50 cars and that my car was the worst case he had seen. Lucky me.
  • Too bad it doesn't apply to '05 for those with the problem.
  • daprincedaprince Posts: 1
    Reading through these messages about locking the car with the keys inside is interesting. I have a 2007 Limited that I will have to watch for this.

I did have a 1990 Toyota Previa in which I locked myself. I was placing a cupholder in the window on the driver door when I apparently tripped the security. The door locks immediately locked and the car started it's honking and lights flashing. Not a great feeling as my husband was at work, my 3 older girls were in school, my car was in the garage and MY BABY was upstairs in his crib sleeping. I tried everything to get out of my car but could not...everytime I tried to open the doors, the car would just start it's honking. Fortunately, I did have a garage door opener in it so I opened the garage door and just kept setting off the alarm until one of my neighbors noticed and tentatively walked up to the car (the van had dark glass and she could not see if someone was in the van or not). When she finally got to where she could see I was in the van, I was able to get her to go into my house and get my keys which she used to unlock my van and get me out! When I contacted Toyota about this, they suggested that I carry a key inside the van in the event this happened again. I wonder what the best option is in the case of this 2007 Limited? Something to think about for sure.
  • 91199119119911 Posts: 54
    Thanks Smuook, for the info on the Toyota TSB EG029-07, and, for you nay sayer's, I ask,why would Toyota want to come out with a fix for something that was working normal, the last laugh is on you guy's. Remember, just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Toyota knew they had a problem, but was very secrative with it, they said thing's like..."working Normal" "Operating Normally", "Operating within design specifications" and BLA BLA BLA. My inquisitive nature just wonder's what Toyota's Lawyer's will do during Arbitration next week... to throw the towel in, would be "politically correct".

I enjoy this Forum and commend each of you for your contribution, whether negative or positive.

I'll reply on outcome of Arbitration next week, If I'm allowed to.

For those of you that didn't get a fix for your problem...keep plugging...use pro bono Lawyer's or lemon law approach if your state has such, if not, continually bug NHTSA and the manafacture. Success= perseverance.

Cj
  • pcc49pcc49 Posts: 25
    Thanks so much for the tips, Smuook. I had the dealer reprogrammed the ECM per EG029-07 and the difference is night and day! I no longer has the "hesitation" when accelerating from stop! The ironic thing is the local Toyota dealer did not know about this TSB until I gave him the exact EG029-07 number! Then he said many people had complained about the problem and that he is glad the "fix" if finally here! Anyone who has a 2006 Avalon will definitely need this fix which is free. Well done Smuook! How did you find out about fix?
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Good catch smuook! In your research, anything on when Toyota plans tranny TSB for 05 Avy's?

NWBlizzardlink title