Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Laura, maintain your sense of humor, I like you emotionacons. Do you have a Lemon Law, if so pursue it, if not a smalls claims court suit might wake them up. Also there are implied warranties, that is a transmission is suppossed to transmit, as in power from the engine to the wheels, steering columns are suppossed to steer not clunk or shift. Me, I'd sue if they wouldn't help, too much money for a headache...........
  • maryjmaryj Posts: 53
    Car going into shop tomorrow, 24Sep, for the upgrade to the 07 standards. The book says only four hours to fix but I'm expecting all day or more because of replacing both exhaust manifolds. When I get it back, I'll report in.
    TedJ
  • I HAVE A 2005 AVALON THAT SHIFTS SORT OF GOOFY ON DECELERATION. EXACTLLY WHAT SYMPTOM DID YOU HAVE TO GET THE FIX ON YOUR TRANSMISSION. I CALLED MY DEALER AND HE SAYS IF I DO NOT HAVE A HESITATION ON ACCELERATION THEY WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT MY CAR. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT?
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I HAVE A 2005 AVALON THAT SHIFTS SORT OF GOOFY ON DECELERATION. EXACTLLY WHAT SYMPTOM DID YOU HAVE TO GET THE FIX ON YOUR TRANSMISSION. I CALLED MY DEALER AND HE SAYS IF I DO NOT HAVE A HESITATION ON ACCELERATION THEY WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT MY CAR. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT?

No need to shout! If your car doesn't have hesitation leave it alone.
    Mackabee
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Define goofy... does the RPM spike a little while coasting down? If it does thats normal for this drivetrain.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I've put quite a few kilometers (>15,000 km) on the car since the transmission update this summer. This has been a mix of city driving, long distance hauls and Rocky Mountain climbs. I'm giving a quick update as a poster had expressed concern that initial good results might wane over ensuing months.

In our case, the transmission continues to shift smoothly without any hint of surges or gear searches. I would define the shift pattern as a little bit below our Mercedes but noticeably better than our Volvo or Jeep (which are both fine). All in all, a wonderful improvement.

I remain soooo grateful to this board for bringing it to my attention and consider the car to be near-flawless at this point. I now know how those folks who never experienced the transmission shift problem feel - the rig is a real treat. :)

We have nearly 50,000 km (~30,000 miles) on the car and it has restored my faith in Toyota. Thanks guys for this site and your advice.

John
  • had the fix done according to the tsb about 6 weeks ago. car now runs flawlessly with a slightly improved gas mileage. Make sure they put in ALL the new 2007 parts. I had no problem with the dealer and the service manager worked directly with me until I was satisfied. I'm usually of the "if it aint broke. . ." school, but If Toyota says the new parts make it run better and it's free why not get them?
  • Just in case, would you be so kind as to list ALL the new parts that need to be installed, so far my vehicle is fine but one never knows............
  • http://link-protector.com/221107/. Go here and you can down load the whole tsb on the 05 fix. I think there are nearly a dozen parts and I don't remember them.
  • My 2005 Avalon xl was downshifting at various times while slowing down. I never really had any hesitation but it an occasion would not start the first time and if I turned the key off and tried again, it worked ok. I had the transmission fix done and car now shifts fine and have not experienced any problems with starting since. I would push to have the TSB done on your car.
  • Check my reply dated Sept 27... I sent it to the wrong person....
  • Hello again captain2,

Our usual Vancouver fall rains have returned, snow will soon be falling on mountain roads you drove here (probably to Whistler, site of the next winter Olympics in 2010) and by now my OM Michelins are past 50,000 km and looking fairly worn. Back in May you told us about your new Toyo Versado tires, how have they been doing since then? I suppose you haven't yet had any chance to test them on snow or ice, but any info about their expected winter performance will be helpful.

Any other comments about alternate replacement tires, also welcome.

Cheers,

havalong
  • lntlnt Posts: 189
    Several months ago I posted about my car locking with my keys inside. I changed to my spare key fob and haven't had any more problems. Today, I grabbed the door handle to unlock the car and it wouldn't unlock. I got out the key FOB and tried it - still wouldn't unlock. I went around to all of the doors grabbing the handles and finally the passenger side rear door unlocked. I drove home and every few minutes went out to see if I could unlock the car by grabbing the handle and by using the FOB. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. So I went back to my first key FOB and so far it is working. I have no trouble starting the car. Does this sound like a weak battery in the key FOB or some other kind of electrical problem? I do carry my cell phone in my purse even though it is in a different pocket. The car manual says not to carry your cell phone any closer than 3 feet to the key fob. How is that possible if I am going to take both with me???? How do the rest of you manage to take a cell phone and your key fobs and keep them 3 feet apart?? Sorry for the long post, but I am about ready to go trade for an XLS so I can have a real key, except I have only 19,000 on my "05" so can't really justify that!
    Thanks for any suggestions. I do plan on taking the car down tomorrow and getting new batteries for both key fobs. Hope that solves the problem!
  • I listen to AM talk radio, the antenna in the Avalon to put it nicely does not perform as well as my old Camry, am I the only one with this problem, it is only on AM............
  • pcc49pcc49 Posts: 25
    I own an 06 limited and had a "key" problem recently! One day I got out of Costco, put all items in the trunk, closed it but could not start the car! My wife had to come rescue me with the other key. I suspected it was the battery but had the dealer looked at it anyway. The dealer replaced the battery and charged me $100. So my advice it to replace the battery yourself first to see if it fixes the problem.

I do not and have not been following the "3 ft" rule and I never have any problem before.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    Wonderful, was the charge for replacing the battery or for the time spent because they also had no idea what was wrong. Does this now mean that I have to carry spare battery's in my wallet just in case, another better idea from technology. Is there a suggested life expectancy on these battery's as in change them EVERY year.
    At least you can get in the car with the key, I would be really ticked in the middle of a snow storm.
    To pcc49 - Wow!!! Did you ever get ripped off! My parts manager at the Toyota dealership charged me $11.69 for the new battery and that's it!! He only had one battery in stock, so he ordered one for my other FOB too. I read the 3ft in the car manual.
  • tkaztkaz Posts: 69
    My 2006 Limited has HID low beam headlamps. They work fine. However the high beams are not that good. I compared them to my 2005 Sienna which has HID low beams and 9005ST HB3 high beam bulbs. The Sienna high beams produce similar color to the Xenon low beams plus illuminate much better.
    I want to replace the high beams in my Avalon with Sylvania Silverstar 9005ST. The Sienna manual shows how to replace the headlamps. The Avalon manual says to have the dealer replace them. But it seems quite easy to take off the cover over the back of the high beam lamp and pull out to replace. It looks like I may need to remove the battery to reach in on the driver side. Am I missing something why the Avalon manual doesn't want you changing the bulbs?
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    "The Avalon manual says to have the dealer replace them. "
    Lets face it if you people keep doing everything yourself Toyota will merely be selling cars. So just be a good little customer and bring your vehicle back and have the car store do everything.

A lot of people are simply incapable of doing what some of us consider simple and are lacking in common sense, many are politicians and use us as the Morlocks did the Eloi. If you are capable of maintainance on your vehicle or simply changing a headlight do so BUT I would check the lumens output of the original headlights versus the Sylvania prior to doing so.
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Let us know if the changeout works. I Like the self leveling headlights and low beam HID, but the high beam isn't that good in my oponion..

NW Blizzard
  • pcc49pcc49 Posts: 25
    Int: :( Yes indeed the dealer ripped me off by going by the "book". The service writer told me they have to follow a diagnostic procedure to find the problem which could be the transmitter or the receiver, blab..blab..blab. That is why I suggest anybody with fob problem to try replacing the battery first yourself. So did the battery replacement fixed your problem?
    pcc49: So far it has worked perfectly everytime. I'll keep you posted. I don't 100% trust my car now, but at least I learned how to get the key out. My son showed me how to do that.
  • tkaztkaz Posts: 69
    Yes, I know the manual says to have the dealer replace them as compared to the Sienna manual which shows you how to replace them. I am wondering if there is a specific reason why with the Avalon I should not change them myself?
  • Check on 9011 bulbs from Toshiba. Lots of info on Google. They are reported to be much brighter than the 9005 bulbs. IIRC article says Nissan Maxima is using them. I was going to get some but was stopped by the problem of how to get the bulbs out. Hope you find an easy way.
    FYI; I just bought two Energizer Lithium batteries (CR1632, 3 Volt)for $4.99 each + sales tax at a jewelery store inside a Fred Meyers store up here in the Pacific NW. I installed them in our two electronic transmitters and they work just fine. Suggest you call some jewelery stores and see what they charge before paying the inflated price @ Toyota Parts Dept! Also, my orginal OEM batteries lasted about 2-1/2 years.

NW Blizzard
    Yeah, I knew I could probably get them cheaper even at perhaps a Walmart, but my husband was out of town, and I am not very good at doing things like that. It was worth the $11 to me. I had my 2000 Avalon for 5 years and never replaced the fob battery, but I guess this one is much more sophisticated! I really didn't expect it to last as long.
  • mem4mem4 Posts: 52
    Any reason you used a CR 1632 instead of the CR 2032 specified in the owners manual? Looking at the specs on the Energizer site the CR 1632 and the CR 2032 have different physical size and different electrical capacities. The CR 2032 looks like it has twice the life expectancy as the CR 1632.
    I have a 2006 Limited with the remote start fob, since you didn't mention what fob you had how do they open. I tried the suggestion of removing the key and pressing the same release and sliding the rear off but it simply did not work.
    The battery in queston is for the transmitter(part of the smart key system). On page 26 in my 2005 Owner's Manual, it verbally describes and has nice illustrations on how to changeout the battery inside the transmitter. You basically first remove the mechanical key then stick a screwdrive into a slot on the end of the transmitter and pry the case open to access the CR 1632 Lithuim battery.

I do not have the remote start feature on my car.

NW Blizzard