Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Okay, so this is just for trivia's sake, but has anyone confirmed the model code for the new Avalon?

i.e. 95-99 = MCX10

00-04 = MCX20

05 = ?
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    Hey jordon7. What is Fitzgerald.com? It doesn't look like a auto website to me.
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    Mackabee my car came in yesterday, the XLS in Desert Sand Mica. The only thing added are the mats and cargo mats. I love the color and feel good sitting in the car, it takes off like a rocket as some one here said, so I have to be easy on the pedal till I break it in. Mackabee, sometimes I get the feeling from reading your posts that you work for a Toyota Dealer, and I don't mean that in a bad way, just the opposite because you have been very honest on this board. I agree with you, I don't know what people expect. They want the Lexus 430 for 25 or 30 thousand less. I used to drive my cars till they fell apart, now I got crazy and have been trading them in every couple of years, but I will ride this 2005 for at least 4 years, it has everything I want. It may not be glamorous inside based on some of the materials Toyota employed but as I posted earlier they took away some things and gave back in my opinion much more just with the additional air bags as a start.
  • just me, just for the record, I thought you were kidding about Mackabee and then I realized from your profile you have not been with Edmunds too long. To find out more about Mackabee go to any of his posts click on his name and his profile will answer your question/feeling.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    I looked at a 2005 Avalon yesterday but it was parked between other cars and was already sold, it appeared to be a typical TOYOTA, that is, well built, not really stylish, I really don't know why it was kept so secret, at least in my area, Monroe NY. It appears that the dealers are going to try to RAPE the consumer, at least from what I've been reading on this forum, so to all of you who like to be number one and pay through the nose to be first, I wish you well. I will wait until Sept or Oct or until I get the deal I want or I'll buy a Beemer and pay a little more but I will not let any company or dealer RAPE me. Also where is EDMUNDS on all this, they don't even have a price yet.
  • abfisch - no worries. I just wanted to clear the water a bit.

As for actually buying, when I got my Highlander 3 years ago, the "prices paid" board was VERY useful. Could those of you who are taking the plunge please take a moment to visit the supplemental board up to the left.

I think this will lead there as well:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef17774

In Milwaukee, we're known to be a little frugal, so I will most certainly be doing a little checking around before dropping $30k+. And the more research available, the better.

Thanks everyone, for making this board a valuable resource.
  • tassotasso Posts: 33
    In my already presold opinion, I was getting really nervous reading all the recent posts, but I was seriously considering just buying the BMW 745i 2002 with 26000 they were loaning me - BUT no. This Avalon is great

Great thigh support front and rear seats. The seat extender is way nicer than the 745s. It unfolds rather than sliding a separate section out. No crumbs in the groove nor catching your thigh when you adjust it. Unfortunately just for the driver. Plenty of leg room, esp in the rear.

Rear seats amazing comfort and leg room, equal to BMW, but not heated.

Power sunshade operates without grinding, none on this BMW.

Quiet up front, equal to the 745. Undercarriage a little bit more noise, but still super quiet.

Stereo to Limited Avalon wow.

Finish, well the Avalon is 89% the quality of the 745, but there is a difference. However, they are not intended as competition.

Smooth shifts, little hesitation on hard acceleration. No guessing on gears.

Lots of great storage in center console.

Overall, very very happy. It is 89% of the 745i 2002 they loaned me, PLUS SMART key - love it already.

BLows away my 2001 Aurora, the Lacrosse I looked at. I do not like 300Ms so it is no contest,and I have rented them several times. I prefer more window space.

Acura TL is an entirely different feel. This feels big, it does not. Way quieter than the TL. You will not scratch the fake wood in the Avalon trying to connect your seat belt, as is a frequent complaint on the TL.

The door comparments DO pop out. Glove box is good sized. Trunk is nice, not huge, but nice enough for 95% of daily activites.

Very Happy I bought it. A previous GM lover. I get the lip spoiler next week, and they are including the winter mats.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    I'm happy for you but what did you pay over invoice. That to me is the criteria, what one pays for the thrill of a new ride.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Thats not true. A full dress 2004 XLS with NAV, rain sensing wipers, etc rung up $36,100 on the register.

~alpha
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    Buckwheat, thank you, I did click on Macabee (after realizing I have to reply to one of his messages to activate his name so clicking on it would bring me to his profile) and he see he is part of Toyota, but also sad to see about his colon and just wish him the very best and Prayers. So I wasn't kidding Buckwheat. I posted here to learn and hear the comments. Even so my decision based on all my research was this 2005 was for me and I love it. The door over the radio is a very nice feature, finally I don't have to go in there with a rag to clean up the dust between the dials, yes I'm one of those clean fanatics. I love what someone referred to as cheesy wood color, the picture didn't do it any justice, it's very nice, but once again some folks like blue, some like red, etc. etc., you can never please everyone, but in the end I went for the reliability of the Avalon and my experience so far with the other three I have had. For me and my wife it has been perfect in every way.Take care.
  • I'm just looking for the XL model as my business car. I've seen pics of the interiors of the more pricy models, but not the base model. Any tips?
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    The web site seems to be running better now; overall, it's now catching up to where sites like Acura have been for some time, regarding interactivity. Surprising they did it in stages, so some parts, like color choice were screwed up for a while; they were even still showing pictures of the 2004 Avalon. Regarding the interior wood color, I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm fairly sure there is no choice on the color: blonde wood goes with ivory and light grey interiors, dark wood goes with dark grey.
  • I called my dealer this afternoon and asked this same question. They don't know and are calling Toyota to find out for sure. The blond is quite ugly.
  • According to the brochure I picked up from my dealer the Graphite Leather is available in the limited. It does NOT show a metallic red exterior for any model.
  • Mackabee,

First I too hope you a speedy and full recovery. You are a great help to this board. To everyone, this board has been absolutely priceless in preparing me to purchase this car. I have learned way more than otherwise possible and was reasonable knowledgeable when shopping and negotiating a deal. Thanks to all.

Secondly I agree...I am not sure what this car can do to impress everyone or what people really expect from this car. It is a major improvement over the 2004- which I did not even consider due to the exterior style, and interior recessed dash. At 43 yrs old, I was just not ready to go that route.

But IMHO no single vehicle can be all things for the price the Limited goes for. For everything you get in the way of techhnology and electronics one would have to go up to the RL or one of the other imports and spend appr. 10k more comparing apples to apples.

I would like your opinion (and any others with experience) on this. How important do you feel it is to get dark (graphite) interior in order to not show staining, especially since I am leasing and may be responsible.

I made a deal in theory for a Titanium with light gray interior, but am considering going with the Phantom in order to get the graphite interior. In my area - Northern CA - most interiors are light.Any thoughts out there are appreciated.
  • fd1000fd1000 Posts: 47
    Well, after reading and reading on this forum about the new Avalon, my local dealership finally got one in today, and I went over for a test drive. (Avalon Limited with Laser Cruise Control, no Nav)

What was my impression? I liked it! My only nit pik was I wish the steering wheel telescoped a little more, despite that, I was able to find a good seating position.

I intend to take a more indepth test drive in the near future, but here are a few thoughts.

I noticed that I started to like the car more, after driving it for just 10 minutes or so. I am a firm believer in taking a LONG test drive. The reason is simple. You are not use to this car. Driving a new car is like trying on a pair of new shoes, which pair feels better? The new ones, or your old ones? Well, we all know our old shoes feel better, but we know the new shoes are a better shoe. The same can apply to new cars.

I remember a few years ago test driving a fully loaded Cadillac STS, and came away thinking, OK, nice car. Then I took another test drive a few months later, a longer test drive. I really relaxed and just drove the car instinctively. I came away wowwed!

Even though my test drive tonight was fairly short, I could feel the car starting to win me over. The laser cruise control is so sweet, just love it, and could see using it all the time.

So my closing point, and advice to all, is take the car for a nice, long test drive. Not a around the block type thing. Relax, enjoy the car, then make your decision.

Thanks!
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    I used Ourisman as an example of where I've been shopping in the greater DC area. Ourisman says flat out MSRP. I have checked FitzMall and they do offer a much better price. I was at Younger in Hagerstown tonight and Dave the GSM told me they'd come down "A Little" from MSRP. I'll be looking closer at Fitz tomorrom, the 9th.
    Use WWW.FitzMall.Com
    Yeah, why isn't my favorite car website up to date??? Come on Edmunds get with the times!

MikeS.
    I took the wife and our 3.5 yr old out for a spin tonight in a LTD. The stealer didn't have any XLSs on the lot. We really liked the car and were totally impressed with it. I'm 6'5" and weigh in at 350, no small people in my family. I was totally comfortable in the back seat.

I've had problems before hitting, actually rubbing, my head on the head liner with other Toyota's that have a moonroof. Not on this puppy! I had plenty of room in both the front and back, including head and leg room.

Before tonight I had pretty much sold myself on an XLS but after using the DLC and the NAV system and after talking with the wife we've pretty much decided on a LTD. Whats another 3K anyways?

As soon as I get off of here I'm gonna go check FitzMall and see what they have in a LTD, then I'll recheck Koon's. Both of these dealers are in the DC area and I bought my '03 Sienna at Koon's 2 years ago this month.

Younger Toyota in Hagerstown told me tonight that they'd come down a little from MSRP but the GSM told me the line about being an all new hot car with limited availability that it wouldn't be too much off. I've got enough Scots in me to be a hard barginer.

MikeS.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Neat review, let us know how the purchase goes!

~alpha
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    The link to Avalon Prices Paid is available to the left in "Helpful Links".

As to why Edmunds does not yet have pricing info...we strive to release information on new vehicles as soon as possible. However, we don’t launch pages for new makes or models in the New Vehicles section of our site until we have sufficient information, including the vehicle’s suggested retail price and invoice price.

Also, as this vehicle has now been released, it technically is no longer a "future model". Therefore, any further discussion of the 2005 should be moving to the Sedans Toyota Avalon topic.

And I also hope to see many of the new Avalon owners soon posting in all of the Avalon Owners topics. :-)

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Yes I do work for a Toyota dealer but keep my posts to informing the Edmund's community and not for personal gain such as solicitation of business. This has brought me many years of personal satisfaction and made my life richer as I've gotten to know some of the members here personally and you guys are a great bunch of people. Sometimes we agree to disagree and that is perfectly ok. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my knowledge.

: )

Mackabee

PS as long as I can remember the model number codes for the Avalon have always been 3534 for XL 3544 for XLS, and now we have 3538 for Touring and 3554 for Limited.
  • Night before last I drove a Touring, in Cassis Red, at Kay Jennings Springfield Toy. (DC area folks will know it). I enjoyed the ride, noted the relative light feel of some of the interior parts, admired the Parkway performance, and tested the comfort of the reclining rear seats. But when I got back in my salt-covered 02 XL I was struck by how heavy and luxurious it felt to drive as compared with the Touring. As a result I started to think about finding a loaded 04, to get some features I want with the ride I admire (I can drive 12 hours in the 02 and emerge without feeling road-weary the way my 92 Camry used to beat me up).

At the urging of a friend I even checked a local Lexus dealer for a used one of those cars to test.

So last night I went back to Kay Jennings to see the 3 remaining 04s that their website listed. My salesman told me the website was out of date and no 04s remained. So I decided to drive an XLS, to see if there was any discernable difference (the only Limited they got so far was sold right away).

My perception was that the XLS has all the road feel I cherish in my 02 XL, and of course many of the gadgets and features that I missed. And I am starting to like the little light-weight doors over the radio and tape deck, even though there is nothing so light feeling in the 02 (could it be that much more expensive to make them of metal instead of plastic?). So my impression, which held after I got back in my own car, is that the XLS will be a wonderful step up. Personally I will wait until I have just a little leverage on the price--the salesman suggests September--but I think that will be my car. Of course I haven't seen the Limited yet...

On the interior wood--the "birch" looks really cheap, but the darker color is rich and warm, in my view. Cassis Red is a respectable shade for an old guy like me (66) if you really want red, but the Phantom Gray is very dressy! I look forward to seeing that green color, just in case I like it.

I'd like to add that I too thank Mackabee for being here and telling us some things about the real world of the automobile trade.
    I'm finding it hard to get a price below MSRP in the DC area. FitzMall is only running about 300 under for a LTD, they are running 2,000 over list for the XLSs.

MikeS.
    "

The link to Avalon Prices Paid is available to the left in "Helpful Links". "

Unfortunately it hasn't had any post for several months.

All the current traffic seems to be right here.
  • Would it be possible to set up a new board "Toyota Avalon, 2005-"?

Not to be lazy (ok, I am, but...) I don't need to know how one would replace the subwoofer on a '98 model, just like they don't need to talk about how my laser cruise control sets off the neighbor's security system when I drive by.

Everything on this board relates to the current generation car, which is all I'm interested in, and I'm guessing that holds true for most of the others, as well. Could this board just be retitled?

Just a thought.
  • I would be astounded if you got any DC area dealer to charge less than MSRP this month, and I doubt it will happen much for a while after that. Even though the vehicles are rolling in, there is also much interest in them. Just be glad they aren't asking for $2000 over.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    IRT Kay Jennings Toyota, I have a friend that works in their finance department. I actually met him in Atlantic city at a Toyota function after we both dispensed buying advice to folks on other boards. He posts here also although I haven't seen any of his posts lately. Cliffy1 is his user name. He's a lot like me as far as our knowledge of Toyota is concerned and also a very competent person at what he does.

: )

Mackabee
  • Toyota.com has finally updated their site to show the new Avalon.

www.toyota.com