Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• henry8thhenry8th Posts: 3
    Fantastic. Thank you very much for the reply. I'm even looking at having it all replaced without the sun roof. Unless, of course, the dealer will fix it as per your TSB. Thank you again. That was nice of you to send along.
  • Check out #13673 by captain2, when he started using Toyo Versados and explained the reasons for size 235-50-17. I also have these, they perform really well in summer and also did OK their first winter.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    edited March 2010
    Not sure about the rubbing on the car but there may be a speedo correction necessary.... or maybe not. ;)
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Posts: 460
    edited March 2010
    fin, 235-50-17 is wider but does not rub and has same circumference as the original 215/55-17, so no speedometer error. This was explained in captain2's messages that followed #13673. ;) ;)
    Thanks for the correct information...my tire size calculator program showed a big difference and it was wrong for some reason, now it works properly... :)
  • dlovesbdlovesb Posts: 34
    I want to thank captain 2,havalongavalon and others for the replies to finding wider tires. A similiar question is the 235/50-17 the widest without getting a wider rim? I don't care about a couple of mile an hour differences in speed. I know our avalons are meant to be luxurious sedans but I have added a custom shaved wing from a celica to my car. It makes the car look sporty. I have had a ton of compliments on the look from all age groups. I tend to personalize my cars.This is why I wanted widest tires I can put on those rims. To have that finishing touch or stance look for the car. :shades:
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Honolulu, HawaiiPosts: 79
    Has anyone experienced a jammed rear window shade (sunscreen) on the Avalon LImited, where it would not automatically retract after you push the button that operates it OR after you put the car in reverse? I have that problem now for the first time and wondered if anyone knows of a do-it-yourself fix. I may need to see a Toyota service dept. otherwise.
  • rhackrhack Posts: 24
    I agree with riley3's assessment, also I have noticed that the laser does not detect certain vehicles such landscape trailers with expanded metal ramps. car will run right to the back of trailer before engaging. Not worth the extra cost.
  • davepiszykdavepiszyk Posts: 16
    I have a 2007 LTD Avalon with an electric rear sunscreen. It stopped working this past week. I can hear a click when I push the button but nothing...It's also stuck in the up position.
    Is there a manual override so I can drop the screen down? Is there an easy fix as this sounds like the electric motor may be fried....
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 302
    Dave, I own a 2006, mine retracts automaticly in reverse, a safety feature I assume but you have made me a little nervous. I use this only when parking on a very sunny day or at night to block some idiots highbeams, so did you use this very frequently as in daily, I'm trying to estimate it's life. No button on mine at all.
    Just wondering in anyone else has this problem, the gas filler door NOT opening.

This happened in my Camry & now the 06 Avalon & has been for about a year or more. It's a cheap lousy set up as the metal is not tempered as in an actual spring. On the Camry it eventually broke off from me having to bend it out at each fillup. Not as serious a problem as most unless you're low on gas & it won't open. Now I place a credit card in the closed door and press the release if it refuses to work properly.
  • davepiszykdavepiszyk Posts: 16
    Yes, I use it often as I live in So Cal. It also has the reverse auto feature.
    How do you raise it up if you don't have a button?
    edited July 2010
    This happened to me on my '07 Limited.... The problem was the retracting part, not the door. It may need a little adjustment or maybe retighten the locknut holding it in place. Yes, it is a BIG surprise when it happens and you are out of town and out of gas as we were. Keep it lubricated too, that helps. Repaired it myself, has not been a problem since.
    Sorry, my teleprompter wasn't working properly. Yes I have a button to raise it, for some reason I simply forgot as it always lowers itself & it just skipped my mind. Is your Avalon not still under warranty, it is a 2007. I would take a voltmeter & check the connection to see is it has 12 volts, perhaps this thing is fused & it blew, IF it is the motor I personally would first ask the dealers service dept.to repair it, if no then the area Rep, again if no, I would make it clear I was posting their answers on Edmunds. With Toyota's quality problems lately perhaps they might not want you to do so & oblige, who knows.
    I will follow your advice BUT I believe it is the metal spring part, as when I bend it out it opens fine. I was thinking of trying to insert a small coil spring to eliminate this annoyance. As I said the one on the Camry actually broke & I replaced it. On a $36000 (list price ) vehicle I would expect better.
  • ogaboneogabone Posts: 1
    Help, 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited my smart key will not lock or unlock doors only a steady beep for about 2 sec, but will open the trunk and start the car. All doors are closed It worked fine before. The buttons on the remote still work so I dont think it is the battery. Any suggestions?
  • bowerbower Posts: 2
    yesterday my wife and I noticed that both the passenger and driver floors were wet, we park the car in a garage, so it is not out in the rain, we have been using the AC a lot lately, could this be an AC drainage issue, the water seemed to come from below the floor mats.
    Probably a clogged drainage hose BUT it seems far too soon in an 05, this usually takes a lot longer, of course I'm in NY & only use it for a couple of months. I'd try that first, before looking for a leak. ONly happened to me once in a Starion & it was 12 years old. .
    edited July 2010
    I was hoping for a facelift for the 2011, guess we'll have to wait until next year.

On the sudden acceleration fix, make sure they re-flash your vehicle to safe-brake standards. Your engine should slow down immediately upon touching the brake.
  • bowerbower Posts: 2
    Thank You for that info, hope its just a clogged drain.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The 2011 is a facelift. The front and rear ends are different and the dashboard completely redesigned (no more doors over the radio, etc). I will admit, though, that for a model introduced in 05 they could have done more to change it.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• tjay1tjay1 Posts: 2
    Hello,

I've just bought 2006 avalon & 23K this week and it's really nice!!
    But, i found one thing differnt from my Camry 2004,

when i trying to lock door remotely, i push lock button twice by habit.
    then about 3~5 seconds later, engine automatically start and stop and serivce light on... ( engine not started)
    Once it happened, I have to open the front door with key ( not remote).

This is normal? or I have to go to dealer to check up.

Thank you in advance.
    tjay1, I have learned that it takes 3 presses to start the car with the remote but you must hold down the button on the last press to watch the lights come on and your car will start. The other thing is you should be able to just walk up to the car as long as you have remote in pocket and unlock the car just by pulling on the handle. You also should be able to lock car with remote in pocket by just pushing any button on any car door handle. Try these steps and let me know how you make out. :shades:
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Posts: 177
    My 2006 Avalon XLS had remote start, but no sensors on the door handles. My 2010 Highlander Limited has the sensors on the door handles and the little square push button to lock it, so I know there is a difference. Actually, the Highlander only has the little push button on the driver's door.

Too many option packages and add-ons for me to keep up with.

John
  • tjay1tjay1 Posts: 2
    Dear dlovesb.

Thank you for your prompt advice. :-)
    I tried but my car fail to start remotely, I may need to go dealer to check it.
    I hope this costs me 0. ;)

Have a good day. dlovesb
  • I have a 2005 Touring with 106K miles. I took my car in for to have the recall issues repaired and told them about an oil leak. It was actual noticed by the dealer earlier in the year and they thought that maybe by performing the oil line recall the problem would fixed. Obviously it did not. Well the service advisor told me that the leak was coming from the timing unit and it would cost $2,450 to fix. I declined the service at this time.

I looked through my files and a repair of the same problem was done about three years ago, but they covered it even though I was just over my 50K warranty.

Now I don't know what to do. I definately do not want to spend that much money, as this is no longer my primary car. I would like to keep the Avalon, but it's not worth it to me to spend that much money. I have usually serviced my car at the dealer, but I was wondering if any one has had any experience with an independent mechanic and how much they might charge? Or should I just get rid of this car? I have owned several Toyotas because of their quality. I don't think this car has lived up to that reputation.
  • amc697amc697 Posts: 9
    I recently had to have a new cable assembly installed for the right side rear passenger seat of my 2007 Avalon Limited, as the seat did not recline. The total cost was $410. I just now discovered that I have the same problem with the left side rear passenger seat.

The rear seat reclining feature for either seat has rarely been used; probably less than 15 times since I purchased the car (as a new car).

I am interested in finding out if this is a common problem or unique to my Avalon and if any one has had experience with Toyota covering a repair of this type after the warranty period.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    How much of a leak are we talking about? If its small, I would just leave it and check the oil regularly. My 99 S10 that I use as a second car leaks a few drops from the rear main seal overnight. It never needs any oil between changes, so I just leave it the way it is.

If its leaking badly and must be repaired, try finding a local mechanic to do it. I could be a lot less than what the dealer is charging.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Depends, if the Avalon is in good condition, this is what "I" would do. First give Toyota the chance by contacting the area rep. If they blow you off & you have proof of a fix (good for you), then make the rep aware you are going to small claims court to sue as obviously the fix did not accomplish anything permanent. I am a letter writer, people in my area know me & know that. First to Toyota cares, make it known you are going public as in a letter to the editor about BAD treatment by your dealer & poor quality, I doubt they want any more local BAD publicity. If that doesn't work take your paper work to small claims AFTER you get a written estimate of the redundant work. Usually one has to pay for the work & then sue or you could go to a local guy as suggested, me I'd sue.
    chrstna446, the fact that Toyota covered a part that was out of warranty tells you something. They want to keep a customer happy and coming back. Call Toyota and see what the company will do for you. On another note even if you had to pay the $2,450 would you be able to spend that kind of money on any other car and still get ANOTHER 200.000 miles out of it. I have seen avalons with 300.000 miles on them and still driving them. It wouldn't hurt to go up the chain of command and see what Toyota will do for you. :)