Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• 06ltd06ltd Posts: 25
    Wife's car. Limited with all but sat radio, spoiler, and mud guards. Want to add mudguards and third-party door trim. Love the Nav; jury's out on the laser cruise. Comfortable, luxurious, fast, and efficient. Wish it had folding mirrors and mirrors that dip when parallel parking. Would prefer stiffer suspension, but want the Limited bling and am concerned that the stiffness might cause chassis/body noise problems as miles build. Great value.
  • 06ltd06ltd Posts: 25
    Sounds like Fitzgerald. Although I was once a mechanic in college (back when you could see past the engine block to the shop floor), I no longer do my own work. After the warranty period is over, the car goes to a good independent. I go to Fitzgerald now and have for some time with prior cars. I've found them to be quite good and honest (unlike many dealers) if expensive.
  • Yes, I know there are a number of good after-market remote start systems. We put one on my wife's Hyundai.

BUT, if I have an Avalon Limited with Smart Key, I think there will be no way to avoid carrying the Toyota fob in order to open the doors and start it "locally". I definitely do not want to carry TWO fobs.

I'm wondering if there are Limited owners who have either

1) Found an aftermarket remote start that takes the place of the Smart Key fob in every sense

-OR-

2) Found a way to extend the range of the Toyota remote starter to something closer to the 1000ft range commonly found on aftermarket units.

I know this is a long shot -- just wondered if others have solved the problem. OR, if others have found that Toyota's range is actually much greater than the claimed 80 feet.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Posts: 119
    06ltd -

Please update us when you do get the firmware update. There are others of us (or at least me) still interested in integrating the iPod into the Avy. Thanks.

Max
  • havalongavalon,
    Yes, the Avalon did come with the Michelins. They are the Enery MX type. Seem to be good tires.
    We had some real icy roads today....snow melting, then refreezing, etc. The Blizzaks were great.
    The FWD Avalon was a risk for me, but I felt better about it with the Stability/traction control included. Everything ok so far.
    Didn't realize Vancouver saw so little snow! We can get anywhere from 35 inches to 120 inches per winter in Anchorage. Varies greatly.

denal1
  • 44394439 Posts: 21
    I talked with a company in regards to installing an after market remote start for my Limited. He said that it would be impossible. The transmitter inside of the FOB needs to be present to start the car. If he would install a remote start it would turn the engine over but the engine would never start. The remote start would need to come from Toyota. He said some car companies allow you to extend the range of remote starters but Toyota is not one of them. Every February there is a convention with new auto inventions and updates...... he stated I should contact him after this time to see if something new has come along.
  • Thanks very much, 4439. This is about what I expected but wondered if someone out there could confirm it. This is the great thing about these forums -- collective knowledge!

Thanks again.
  • I am negotiating to buy with Sport City Toyota in Dallas. Probably will be Touring or XL (I don't like the fake wood or extra electronics on other models.) Did you get a dealer invoice when you purchased in Texas? Specifically, did you have the items M.A.F., T.D.A., P10-HB, Finance Reserve, Base Veh HB? I expected the delv/proc/hand of $635.

OldGuy1
  • angeange Posts: 158
    I ordered a Limited because it was a bargin for me. All of the extras for somewhere around 2000.00 sounded good to me. Different rims, tires, has rear view mirrors with markers, auto water sensitive wipers, smart key, heated seats, better radio, and more. The car is quiet on a smmoth road with all of the insulation used. The steering is a bit heavy, could use more assist. The front end is heavy and dips down at stops. The brakes are good. The grill, with the laser speed control, located at the passenger side, looks weird. They should have set the grill off with a similiar opening on the opposite side. Rear window view leaves alot to be desired.

Owners hve been commenting about the distortion in the rear window. There is a reason for this, cost. If Toyota can speck out a windshield without disortions, why can't they do the same for the rear window. Despite the issues, the car, overall, is a good one. ange1
  • dajabdajab Posts: 35
    Don't contribute often, but happy to oblige your question. We wanted leather seats, so we began with choosing the touring, but then took a test drive. The stiffness of the suspension created too uncomfortable of a ride; that, and the lack of stability control (2005 year), moved us to consider a higher-end model. We only briefly toyed with the idea of getting an XLS, however; the Limited had simply too many good things for a modest increase in price. What a deal! The clinchers, believe it or not, were the Nav and the preset seat/mirror positions, which were only available in the Limited. No more need to adjust things after my wife drives the car; I just wish the rear view mirror adjusted as well.

Best surprises AFTER buying are the smart key and auto wipers. The car recognizes me when I approach and enter: I don't even need to push the memory buttons; the seat and mirrors automatically move into my positions. The Nav is everything I thought it would be, and more. Despite what others say, I find it easy to use and very accurate. I don't think of it as costing $2000; I'm really paying only $1 per day for it in my car payments, and that's really worth it.

Biggest disappointments are things I have yet to see mentioned here: the lack of a day/night mirror and the "automatic" climate system. The "automatic" rear-view mirror appears to respond to the total amount of light hitting it, not to the intensity of any one light source hitting it. So, a very small but intense source (like a distant headlight behind me) still is fully reflected in the mirror and into my dark-sensitive eyes. The mirror does not "green out" until the car approaches closely behind. In the case of the climate system, the automatic sensors seem to compare the *outside* temperature to my desired temperature, not the inside temperature. Even on a cold day, the car interior can be quite hot if it has sat in the sun; yet, the auto climate system will continue to blast us with hot air. (The reverse has also happened in the summer with the A/C.) I'm constantly adjusting the temp and fan to try to keep comfortable.

All very minor complaints, however. We're very glad we bought the Avalon (we had been considering a Maxima). We've never looked back, and we really like the car.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    Even on a cold day, the car interior can be quite hot if it has sat in the sun; yet, the auto climate system will continue to blast us with hot air. (The reverse has also happened in the summer with the A/C.) I'm constantly adjusting the temp and fan to try to keep comfortable.

Think you should have your dealer check to see if it's functioning correctly; I have an LTD and once I set the temp on auto, I don't touch it again, regardless of the temp outside, whether it's summer or winter.

While Maxima is a nice looking car, think you made the right choice, too. I had considered Nissan but saw their resale values - far below Toyota. Same thing holds true with Infiniti vs Lexus.
    zekeman1
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    My moonroof has started rattling when open. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, did the dealer fix it properly?
    Thanks.
  • I have a 2005 XLS without Navigation. I bought it right when they came out and very few were shipped with Nav. I would now like to add Navigation. Is it just a matter of Toyota switching out the cassette player with the Nav brain?

I am only interested in Toyota factory installed... not after market systems.

Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks!
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    Nope. Spoke at length w/my dealer about installing the system after the fact - can't be done. From what I have read on this board re the Toyota NAV, I'm heading for an aftermarket, probably Garmin or Magellan, even though in my opinion, windshield brackets & power wires look tacky in a luxury car.
    zekeman1
  • Try this site (http://www.keylessride.com) prices seems a little high. I am able to get extras from my dealer at $150/each.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The NipponDenso, Denso US, climate control design has several flaws. One of those is the fact that in the summertime when the interior has been heated while setting closed up in the hot sun the system will immediately go into recirculate airflow mode instead of first exhausting the cabin's HOT atmosphere via using fresh mode.

At least the actual manufacturer knows to advise you to lower rear winddows during the early part of your drive to help exhaust the hot atmosphere.

Since the blower motor being turned on is delayed until the A/C builds enough cooling capacity the best procedure to use in this circumstance is to immediately turn the blower to MAX manually, then over-ride the system airflow intake mode into fresh, and then once the majority of the Hot(ter) cabin atmosphere is exhausted simply touch "auto".
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It's really critically important to decide before you buy the car whether or not you really need navigation.
    If you don't get it, you can live without it just like you had previously, but if you want it, get it at the time of purchase.
    This is like transmission choice of manual or automatic or paint color. If you change your mind, it's more practical to sell the car and buy a new one than to change out the parts needed to undo your original mistake.

However, there are a few portable nav units that can be used completely wirelessly for several hours on battery power so there would be no dangling wires, but they would need to be recharged (or batteries replaced) after use if you choose not to keep it plugged into a power port while in use.
  • I'm curious, what car have you had whose HVAC reacted differently than the Avalon's. All I've had, under the conditions you mention, recirculated the air when on AUTO.
  • angeange Posts: 158
    We learn something every day. Learning the heating system I found something new. As temperature dropped down to about 25 F, I tried to get heat out of the bi-level mode. Everytime I selected the bi-level mode the air conditioner comes on. When I try to operate on heat, I can only get the panel or floor separately and the defrost mode . Getting heat at the chest level and floor level at the same time is not an unreasonable feature. I cannot get bi-level without air running. I don't think it is a good practice to have air conditioning running in the winter time. Am I missing something? Are all Limited cars that way? I know some people set the temp on the automatic system and never touch it again, other to adjust minor changes.Several friends also replaced their compressors along the way doing this. Gas mileage suffers with the air on. One mile per gallon goes a long way these days.

In the manual, on page 226, it states;" when you set the temp selector setting at about the middle in automatic operation,"I am not sure what the middle means. I never checked the upper and lower limits. What happens if you don't set it at the middle?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    To my knowledge there is no automotive A/C compressor that continues to operate below about 33F OAT. To do so would result in freezing airborne moisture, condensate, to the evaporator vanes blocking all system airflow.

That being said NipponDenso, Denso US, actually has a US patent pertaining to their method of airflow distribution within the passenger cabin. Their A/C plenum, air distribution management, is setup such that heated airflow is only routed to the lower portions of the car, and cooled airflow to upper portions.

So anytime the cabin atmosphere is at or very near the temperature setpoint, the airflow from the upper airflow outlets, dash, etc, will be as much as 20F cooler than will footwell airflow in the very same circumstance, setpoint, etc.

Since they take no accounting of radiant heating effect to the human body, only using the cabin's atmospheric temperature for feedback to the HVAC control loop, the system will quite often remain in cooling mode, all airflow or the majority thereof, from the dash or dash/footwell combined.

If you find the cool dry airflow to your face and upper body discomforting it will be up to your to switch the system to strickly heating, footwell only, airflow mode.