Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Plus a 6 Speed auto, reclining rear seats in premium model, 60/40 in others..
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    Toyota Sales For 2005
    Avalon 2005 - 95,318, 2004 - 36,460
    http://theautochannel.com/news/2006/01/04/205039.html
    I agree with you, they shot an arrow across the Avalon. If their marketing guys are smart, they will beef up the Avalon for 07. They did this once before and the Camry back then killed the Cressida.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Unless people want to fight with torque steer, there isn't room to add any significant amount of more power and power isn't a problem that needs fixing anyway.
    They can concentrate on marketing the added room, the few unique features it has over the new Camry and maybe drop the XL.

They probably should have detuned the Camry engine for less power and no need or recommendation of premium fuel.
  • dandldandl Posts: 57
    Living in the Motor City, we watched the unveiling of the 2007 Camry at the auto show (live on local news...) and I have to say that they did re-design the Camry with a very similar tail light assembly as the Avalon, if not a bit cooler!!!! However, the license plate is still centered high between the tail lights and Toyota still incorporated that weird strip of chrome above it. As a result, I think that the Avalon has a cleaner, more refined look from the rear...
    We are going to the auto show next week and look forward to seeing and comparing the Camry and the Avalon side by side.
    Hope someone can post pictures soon....
    Dan and Laura
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    I bet the next gen. Avalon will have an optional V8 available with 300+ HP. I wouldn't be surprised if the RWD Crown which can be had with a V8 replaces the Avalon as Toyota's flagship.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    agreed, anything over even 200hp will create TS issues with FWD cars and the one thing the Av doesn't need is more power. The 07 Camry V6, I'm guessing, will nudge $30k with all the bells and whistles and sounds a lot like the Av XLS except a few grand less, the SE - a Touring reincarnate? It would make more sense to really differentiate the Av by making it RWD and/or AWD and perhaps juicing the engine to 300 or so. But then we would all be driving 'LS350s' - creating a problem for Lexus.
    I couldn't agree more. I also think Captain2 has it about right. However I do think in the world of high gas prices, 300 HP might reduce MPG, and Toyota won't go there. But if they find a way to keep the current MPG on the Avalon with 300 HP, then a move in that direction might be a possibility. Personally I think Toyota will upgrade the Interior of the Avalon with more luxurious finishes and a little more pizazz to it's style with more room inside and larger trunk space to give a reason why the Avalon over the Camry. I don't see the reason for 300 HP.
  • hylynerhylyner Posts: 216
    My guess is that Toyota is hedging its bets on what the public wants these days. They're offering what appears to be "Conservative Looks With High Performance."
    Why the emphasis on performance? Daimler Chrysler has done well with its Hemi powered products; Ford is selling Mustangs like crazy; GM is considering reinventing their Camaro, other competitors have ramped up their performance with higher power, etc.
    Toyota has historically chosen the middle ground, but competition is tough in the automotive business and I think Toyota doesn't want to get left behind, hence we're seeing higher performance. However, with gas prices at record levels and going higher, this performance issue will change, and we'll probably soon see a reversal where gas mileage will be the next big selling point. Toyota is well placed to be there when that happens.
  • tuthmantuthman Posts: 15
    Check out this link to see Jack Bauer in an Avalon.http://www.angelfire.com/ult/24natic/24S5Prequel.wmv
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    is being overcome by some manufacturers use of electric power stearing or some sort of electrically controlled stearing diff'l.
  • Given my nickname, I naturally wonder if anybody knows how long the new Camry will be? My guess is 3-4" shorter than the Avalon, and the difference will be in rear leg space.

havalongavalon
  • Go to Google and type in 2007 Camry and you can get all the info and specs. you want.
  • You should have been looking at your girlfriend and thinking how good she looks!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    Toyota certainly the industry leader in hybrids etc - and there apparently will be a Camry and Avalon hybrid. Think the jury is still out on them, however, given that the payback is relatively long and we still don't know the actual longevity of these $3000.00+ battery packs. And then, you have the whole weight issue as it relates vehicle handling - the Accord Hybrid notwithstanding, these cars are not built for anyone that enjoys driving.
    Technology has allowed mfgrs. to compete in this seemingly endless HP race for the last few years - while actually improving fuel economy in many cases. Don't see it ending anytime soon because there is something a little intoxicating (and probably a little safer) about having all that power! As gas prices continue to rise, the real hit will be the 5-6000 lb. SUVs which already the mfgrs. are trying to give away. As it is, I can drive down the highway and know that my Avalon does better on a gallon of gas than 80-90% of the cars/trucks I see and furthermore will outrun a higher percentage than that!
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    This has been a really controversial subject in these forums and seems to upset those who are happy with their Avy's. So a new discussion forum is open to address the hesitation problem called "Toyota-Lexus transaxle shift delay". Not much going on there now. Pretty active talk at the "Transmission problems with the Lexus ES-300 site" where this problem that some like to claim is only hype has been discussed for 3 years now. I have read of complaints of hesitation in some 2006 models, but can't recall if anything was specifically referencing the Avalon. A search of this forum may help answer that.

Editting to add some links for you:
    luvmyavalon, "Toyota Avalon 2005+" #9774, 30 Oct 2005 10:08 am

algee, "Toyota Avalon 2005+" #8432, 2 Sep 2005 6:04 am

atley, "Toyota Avalon: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #799, 6 Jan 2006 1:47 pm

toolate2, "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)" #2172, 9 Nov 2005 10:40 pm
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    As most of you know the Avalon was always designed for the how should I put this so no one gets offended; older crowd. :blush: Camry has always been always will be a family sedan. Nothing more, nothing less. The family sedan is the biggest segment in the automobile industry and therefore the most competitive. In order to remain competitive and maintain it's market share in that segment Toyota has re-designed the 2007 Camry with the same ideas that went into the new Avalon. How to get more market share while keeping its current Camry owner base happy. More horsepower, a little more exciting styling, more safety features, and staying ahead of the competion. There's 76 pics of the XLE and SE on www.pressroom.toyota.com enjoy.
    :shades:
    Mackabee

"everytime I try to leave they pull me back in"
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    76 pics and they could not put even 1 photo of the LE and CE interiors.
    jaxs, they probably look just like the xle interior without the fake wood and the dual climate controls. The pics will be out in February.
    :)
    Mackabee
    and you get to see the actual car on March 6th at your local Toyota dealer!
    :shades: