Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Add one more wife with small feet... and she does not like to drive my Avalon, just ride in it. This is one of her reasons: The accelerator is hard to control, makes the car hard to drive. Strange. She drives a V6 Honda and loves it. Her second one since '95. Maybe the "small feet" idea is true.........maybe.
  • geoshillgeoshill Posts: 27
    Okay, been giving the gas pedal problem some thought and have solved it. I have a rubber mat in the drivers floor and I put a 1" X 4" board about 12 inches long under the rubber mat flat on the floor just at the bottom of the gas pedal. It raises my foot just enough to hit the sweet spot on the gas pedal.

So far no rattles, hesitation or whatever. Runs great!! My wife's junk in the pocket of the passenger door drowns out any other noises the car may have.
  • I remember reading (or had a vivid dream) about "training" the Navigation voice command system so that it understands my voice better. While I actually like and use the NAV system a lot, the voice command feature is pretty much just there for comedy effect right now.

I've looked through my manuals, the setup screens, and the "My Avalon" CD but can't find this. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
    Tom
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    havalongavalon, Lets not forget that once your past the starting stage traveling down a major highway doing 65, even if you're a toe driver, with constant pressure on the gas pedal the hesitation issue is not applicable. It only hesitates when starting to roll from a stop with a toe driver. Take care my friend. Good to see you and also how you discovered this. :)
  • joedbobjoedbob Posts: 27
    Re: "I would like to hear from more Avalon drivers who have short legs and small feet -- do you have a similar problem and how are you are dealing with it?"

I don't quite fit those parameters, since I'm 6'5" and wear a size 15 shoe. I have a 2005 Limited with all the extras and have never had ANY trans "hesitation" problems and was intrigued with the "foot placement" discovery mentioned here lately.

I tested the theory by contorting my leg/ankle/foot to an uncomfortable position as to only have my toes on the bottom of the gas pedal. Son of a gun! For the first time ever, I noticed a hesitation upon acceleration sometimes. I returned my foot to my normal position (mid to high on the pedal) and the hesitation disappeared. There sure must be something to all this. Hope Toyota is listening. Thanks for all the info and help.
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    It only hesitates when starting to roll from a stop with a toe driver.

Hesitation also occurs when slowing then accelerating, such as when merging into traffic, or slowing for an intersection where the light turns from red to green and needing to accelerate, or when slowing for traffic prior to making a left turn, then when there is a gap, trying to accelerate. These are also situations when hesitaiton has been experienced.

I think it is interesting that those who do not experience hesitation can make it happen when "toe driving". I would like to hear from more people who experience the problem and whether they are toe drivers or not and if so, what happens if they lift their foot to mid-pedal.

Honestly, I am having trouble believing this is THE problem. Could there have been such an oversight for what would be a fairly large cross section of drivers? Why aren't all small-footed drivers having this problem? Is this just a Toyota issue? I have seen a few cases of hesitation in other makes -- do they have fewer small-footed drivers than Toyota? So many unanswered questions.
  • It only hesitates when starting to roll from a stop with a toe driver.

Hi just_me, thank you for your comments. I have to agree with scoti1, though, that episodes of engine surges or erratic shifting can also happen when toe-driving while cruising at highway speeds if you accelerate abruptly. Toe-driving makes it harder to control the gas pedal at any speed, I think.

Take care,

havalongavalon
  • Son of a gun!

Thank you joedbob for this confirmation! Also my thanks to other posters who recently were able to confirm the finding that position on the pedal seems to matter.

havalongavalon
  • Okay, been giving the gas pedal problem some thought and have solved it. I have a rubber mat in the drivers floor and I put a 1" X 4" board about 12 inches long under the rubber mat flat on the floor just at the bottom of the gas pedal. It raises my foot just enough to hit the sweet spot on the gas pedal.

Hi geoshill,

Yes, this can certainly work, except it is not convenient if you alternate often between two drivers with different foot sizes. I find that raising the floor is not comfortable for me, unfortunately.

havalongavalon
  • Since it may be difficult or dangerous to experiment with changing foot position while driving, here is a simple test that you can do in your driveway or any well ventilated place.

Start the engine but leave it in Park. Turn off the radio and fan so you can hear the engine. Watch your tachometer. Now try to HOLD THE RPM for 10 seconds or so at CONSTANT RPM and then SMOOTHY increase the engine speed by even increments of 500 RPM, holding for several seconds at each RPM level: 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000.

Repeat this test after changing the place where you push on the pedal. Go back & forth a few times between stepping on the "sweet spot" half-way up the gas pedal, and stepping on the bottom of the pedal.

You should observe a very noticeable difference in the ease with which you can maintain any given RPM and, especially, in SMOOTHLY INCREASING the engine speed to the next target RPM level when your foot is more vertical and stepping higher on the pedal, compared to "toe-driving" on the bottom of the pedal.

Pressing on the bottom of the pedal is more sensitive and erratic and this position can make it more difficult not to overshoot the target RPM levels.

havalongavalon
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Posts: 1,116
    so I guess SIZE (of the foot) does matter....
  • regisregis Posts: 94
    "I have a rubber mat in the drivers floor that raises my foot just enough to hit the sweet spot on the gas pedal"

Me too. That must be the reason why my small feet have not experienced the hesitation others have.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    see post 11847 - obviously agree with you, while everybody is seemingly consumed with this foot position stuff (which does make a difference), I think the real cause is the transmission's tendency to hold onto too high gears, a 'programming' issue based on Toyta's desire to wring out every possible mpg. I would bet that the upcoming switch to a 6 speed in the '07 might actually have more 'hesitation'
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Unlikely, as the Camry with the 6 speed auto is already out. Haven't heard any complaints yet. Toyota said that the transmission downshift has been greatly improved over the 5 speed model and I believe it. I will find out soon as I personally am going to test drive an SE V6.
    maybe so and would be interested to know what you find. But, I have never seen anything mentioned about it in any of the multiple tests and reviews done on the Avalon over the last year, either. If we are to attribute the 'hestitation' to gear searching on multiple gear downshifts and we also accept that our transmissions are 'designed' to hold onto the highest gears possible (for economy?), then adding a gear would logically aggravate the 'problem'.
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Has anyone compared driving/hesitation in the "S" mode and using "sweet spot" on gas pedal vs driving in regular "D" mode using "sweet spot"?

Like to hear from any of Toyota's or Suppliers design engrs out there who would know what were the design considerations/attributes used in the design of the Avy's gas pedal?

NWBLIZZARD
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Watch out for termites!
    have certainly tried it - driving in 'S' seems to make 4th the default gear, so things do improve on reapplication of throttle a bit simply because, I guess, that the downshifts involve one less gear. Truly shifting manually does, of course, eliminate any gear searching but defeats the purpose of the auto. trans.
    I think most modern 6 speed auto can downshift multiple gears at once. If you really hammer the throttle you could go down from 6th to 4th without going through 5th. At least that is how it works in the new IS with the 6 speed auto.
    But I do agree with you about the transmission holding onto to the highest gear possible for the sake of fuel efficiency and emission ratings. I doubt Toyota will modify that aspect of the transmission behavior if it results in lower gas mileage and emission rating.