Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• lntlnt Posts: 189
    Yeah, I think they did leave out the padding. I really wanted the XLS instead of the Limited, but the XLS seat bottoms were too short and so I wanted the seat extension feature. With the seat extended, it is about the same as my old avalon with the exception of the softness and the bolstering support. I didn't notice that it felt like I was sitting on a bowling ball until after I took a trip to Louisiana - 9 hours of riding!
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    Well, I guess that comfort is a pretty subjective evaluation. I don't know if you have the Limited, but all that I can say is that the seats, for me, are not at all comfortable on a long trip. I understand that the seats for all other models of the Avalon are different, however.

Good luck and continue to enjoy your Avalon!

dan
  • netwonnetwon Posts: 53
    Saw the sheet for myself, but that is for Toyota Canada...

Netwon
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Your thought about a blown fuse is a good one. Have you looked for a fuse chart in your manual?
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    drove my Limited 06 500 mile trip. I could not believe milage 32mpg on 89 octane with A/C on. Drove wonderfully. My cousin who is a car nut could not believe the car and all the stuff in the car. The backup camera was a big hit as well.
  • pcc49pcc49 Posts: 25
    What do you mean "backup camera"? The '06 Avalon limited does not come with the backup camera option! Do you mean the "cruise control" or are you talking about a different car?
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    Yes I have backup camera!!!!
    http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6295/cat/594

I installed aftermarket into DVD NAV Harness in the trunk..plug and play..pretty much. Get the most out your NAV system..also can play DVD's on the NAV screen if you want.
  • topgeartopgear Posts: 111
    Hi Neil! I guess you are saying you connected your camera without disturbing the dashboard. And, you connected the camera strictly to the unit in the trunk? Cool!

Also...can one watch DVD's while in motion?
    Perhaps you could share info like how much? And model numbers and where one can purchase this camera set-up?
    Thanks!
    -P
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    not sarcastic at all - fact. Read your owners manual, it is so full of cautions and warnings that it is a miracle that you don't have email in a release before you can even start your own car.
    TV lawyers - going beserk (and making work for themselves) and quite ridiculous!
  • angeange Posts: 158
    The fuse box is under the dash, left side of steering wheel. The cover swings down and all of the fuses are marked on the cover. There several spare fuse locations. You have to go to Toyota to get their special fuses. Couple of auto stores and radio shack didn't have any.

ange
  • angeange Posts: 158
    I installed my Boyo VTL-100 license camera, along with G-Net NavVideo plug and play unit yesterday. It took some time and changes to have the remote control on the dash. The hardest part was getting an accessory connection. The darn fuses are so small you have to go and find a live wire when the start button is engenerized. I tried to find the radio wire at the fuse box but too many to isolate. I ended up trying four different wires before finding a hot wire. I installed a radio fuse in the power source.

I can activate the back up camera anytime and it automatically comes on when gear is in reverse.

One mistake, I got the ABS license frame-camera, and it is slightly warped already.

My total cost less than $600.
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    However, I'm going to take a second look at the Buicks.

By all means, but make sure you look at the Consumer Reports review of the Lucerne (in the current issue). They didn't have much good to say about it.
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    Test drove the Lucerne--plenty of power w/Northstar V8--at the expense of lost MPG--V6 is 3.8 Liter and no match for the Avalon in performance or economy. Car is roomy, comfortable and nice looking--build quality looks good--attention to details is evident--still--its a 1st year model and that scared me away.
    Bob
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    The new Avalon has certainly had 'un-Toyota-like' teething problems - as it was likely to. Keep in mind, however, that the 05 Avalon a truly new car - drivetrain, body etc.. As you would expect for GM products (because they really don't have the money to do anything else), things like the Northstar V8, the 3.8 V6, the asscoiated 4 spd trannies, and basic body structure have been around for years and years, one reason why cars like the Lucerne and most other "Detroit" vehicles are technologically and dynamically inferior. The 05 Avalons specifically - would actually be surprised if it proves out to be as reliable as some of the 'been around for 20 years' Buicks - but it sure will be worth a whole lot more at trade-in time and IMPO a whole lot nicer ride!
  • I've noticed on the first and second oil/filter changes on my '05 Avalon that six quarts of oil fills to the full mark and not the 6.4 listed in the owner's manual. I watched it being drained. Maybe the 5 quart Mobile 1 jug has a little extra.
  • maryjmaryj Posts: 53
    I've noticed the same thing on mine. 6 qts. Maybe Castrol has a little extra in each qt. :D
    Tedj
  • xxagonxxagon Posts: 6
    Nice Pictures Neil.
    I tried to find a link to the equipment you are using but I had no luck on finding the camera.
    Can you provide some help in getting the details.
    Thanks
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Since the Lucerne is FWD I would assume that the NorthStar is automatically derated in torque production capability in the lower gears as was the Cadillac before going back to RWD.
  • lntlnt Posts: 189
    Thanks for everyone's help on the cell phone charger. I took my car in and nothing was wrong with it. It was the charger cord that was bad. Still don't understand why it worked in our van, but I bought a new phone charger cord and it works in my car.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Glad you got it working!