Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..Toyota is working on it..."

Yes, for a VERY long time now.

Actually the very first written record of the 1-2 second downshift delay was a TSB issued in the spring of 2003 for the 2002 Camry. The earliest recorded customer symptoms indicative of this problem involved the initial production run of the RX300 in '98.
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm--sure sounds like a Class Action Suit to me. What we need is to give Erin Brockovich an Avalon and then tell her Toyota has known about the quirky transmission since the 1998 Lexus RX300 model run. I'm just glad that I haven't had the problem using the manual mode and down shifting to 1st. i'm gonna try leaving it in the "S" mode and see what happens.
    Bob
  • angeange Posts: 158
    The navvideo module I have is made for the avalon navigation unit. It is made in canada by G-Net Incorporated. cost $399.

The license plate camera is made by BOYO. Mfg.by Visionhitech Co. cost about $129.

You can find these on the internet.

The selling point for me was using the existing screen and not having to solder wires to install. I did not want an empty screen mounted somewhere around the dash being dark except when in reverse. ange
  • I had just visited the automobilemag.com site and saw the video there. Pretty funny. Seems like every time I'm looking for a tweak for my Avy, I find it in Lexus related material...

Anyways, worked like a charm on my '05 Limited. I really needed it today, with the blizzard hitting us in the Northeast...

Today was the first time I've been stuck in wet, heavy snow with my Avalon. I couldn't rock the car without the damn VSC kicking in. What a PITA! I thought to myself, "There's got to be way to shut it off." So, I break out the manual and on page 320 it says something along the lines of "...if the vehicle gets stuck, VSC can be turned off..." SWEET! Then it goes on to say; "...contact your Toyota dealer for detailed information." D'oh!!!

So I call my dealer, who is closed because it's a BLIZZARD. I then call the Toyota 800 number in the front of the book. When I get through to a real, live CS rep, it took about twenty minutes of patient explaination and waiting to get them to research the answer and promise to call me back. In the meantime, I go back to my office and find the info on the 'net. In less than an hour, I've got it printed out and ready to try. As I'm walking back to my stranded vehicle, my cell rings. It's the Toyota CS rep. She says that the technical people she contacted said "...the VSC system is automatic and cannot be turned off" I thanked her for calling back and told her that I found the information I needed on the Internet and was about to implement it. Minutes later, I was on my way home.

Next, replace the OEM Michelins with a fine set Nokian WR's. :D
    So, did you use the simple "unplug the MAF/IAT" procedure?
  • Hello all, and especially to you bob... I've been reading every night, just not chiming in very often.. but I have a question concerning the avy's oil filter. I always use Mobil 1 syn. oil and Filter. When I went to the local auto parts store to get a new Filter, they didn't have a cross reference book for the 07 models.. So I emailed Mobil and asked them for the correct oil filter "model".. here's the reply I got

"The 2007 Toyota Avalon 3.5l is a canister filter. Mobil one does offer that style yet."

I don't want to show my stupidity, but what is a "canister" filter.. How do they differ from "normal" filters and which is better for your car? Somebody please help an old man out. Preesh.

Roland
  • mem4mem4 Posts: 52
    The best way I can describe it is the filter has an outer shell housing that is reusable and you change the inner pleated filter paper only. Buy one at your Toyota dealer and you will see what I mean. The filter comes with instructions and if you search here you will find a posting with pictures describing the change procedure.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I actually keep a copy of the procedure in the glovebox. I have been lucky and haven't had to use it (except to test). I just want to know, who came up with that crazy series of commands. I hope on future models the "off" switch comes back.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• ...I actually keep a copy of the procedure in the glovebox...

I do now, too. :)

Ditto on the idea of a hardware switch.
  • So, did you use the simple "unplug the MAF/IAT" procedure?
    No messing with hardware, just software.

Click the link below, print the 13 step engage/disengage procedure. Then watch the video.
    How to switch off VSC on a Lexus GS430
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    Why they went to these filters is beyond me, they appear to be emulating Mercedes Benz. My wife's Mazda, an 04 has one and in my opinion it is plain stupid & annoying. I am just turning 3000 miles on my 06 Avalon abd pray mine is not one. Could be the cost factor as I found them MORE expensive and to top it off Mazda placed the access hole in the wrong place and I had to remore the plastic pan and CUT a new access to it. Fortunately I have free oil changes from my dealer so by the time I run out I will have sold the car. Toyota has a service at 5000 miles for oil & filter & balancing. Are they now recommending a 5000 mile oil change, if so remember, they want to sell cars.
  • One of the reasons for going to a canister filter is the canister is of thicker material and allows the use of a grove retained "O" ring or other constrained gasket.The typical oil filter and gasket assembly is known for blow ups,gasket leaks etc. Do to the upper end sludge problems Toyota and others have upped the allowable oil pressure on cold starts etc.In some cases it allows the engine manufacturer to eliminate the oil pressure relief valve completely.
    The other reason is the recycling issue. It is much more easy to dispose of the paper filter cartridge and have to separate the can and gasket assembly.
    I was told by Porsche factory personnel in '01 that it was simply an environmental issue, no good reason for all those metal canisters ending up at the dump.
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Yeah, and the Toyota parts man told me it's more environmentally friendly using the cartridege vs spin off filter. Sure not user/owner friendly to replace cartridge and the 3/8" ratchet is too small for the aluminum recess and chews up the material. I'm sure there is a special tool I can purchase from Toyota for a low price!
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the 3/8" ratchet extension works very well for me, the center 'plug' should not be that tight. Working on my 12th oil change, and had no trouble - even found a 'standard' size cap wrench that works on the casing once the plug is removed and the oil is drained. I wouldn't give Toyota the satisfaction of paying some ridiculous price, but actually like the way the system works, I leave much less old oil dripping down the side of the engine, on the suspension parts etc. than I do, for example, on my wife's Nissan 3.5.
    Hi Roland---just like they've said in the other reply's--it looks like a smaller version of the removable filter on your shop vac! My mechanic has to special order, but, since he has many Toyota customer's , he keeps them in stock. Since I change my oil every 3K miles, I just have Dale use the same Valvoline he stocks. Don't rally think you'd have to use a Mobil 1 oil filter--the standard Toyota filter should be fine. Guess the best practice is to ask your dealer.
    Bob
    Well, I tried leaving the tranny in the "S" mode and coming to a rolling stop--foot straight up and down on the gas pedal---same thing---engine rev'd to 3,500 RPM and off I went. I said--@#%!*^--well ya know what I said--anyway--I backed up, tried it my way--in 1st gear in "S" and then once moving at about 15-20 MPH, slide the gear shift over to "D"--NO NONE ZERO NATTA a slip nor surge--worked great. Tried it coming back home--same result doing it both ways. They can say what they want--there IS a problem with the tranny--but--since I can, at least for now, control it--I'll continue with my procedure. Thanks!
    Bob
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    on this advice (from the same poster) glened several months ago on this site, I also drive my Avalon in S5 and of course with no issues with it at all. Would be interested to know if you experience a slight decrease in FE - I lost maybe .5 mpg. One of the reasons that the tranny operates the way it does, is, after all, to maximize FE. Glad this worked for you!
    Wonder why a drop in FE? S5 should be the same as D--it is a 5 speed tranny. Oh well, I've stopped trying to figure out the tranny and just resigned myself to shifting 1 S1---taking off and then shifting back to D---NEVER had a aproblem--so I guess if it anin't broke don't fix it!
    Bob
  • Hi Bob,

The way I see it, if you shift back to D after you start in S1, you are telling the CPU to start watching your driving habits again! If you return to the same old slow down/speed up location while in D, your Av will faithfully screw up for you, again!

This is why I suggest that you shift into S5 and just leave it there. Don't shift back to D. See if this cures the surging misbehavior.

havalong