Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    As I said, I only have a little over 3000 miles & will be getting my first oil change. Toyota says 5000 or 6 months, I am at the 3000 & 6 months.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    at 6000 miles/year you sure will have a car that will be worth a lot down the road! I'm on my 12th oil change (do it myself) over 43000 miles in 22 months. Use nothing but synthetic. The TSB repair worked fine (and yes the dealer replaced my PS pump which I don't think needed to be replaced) - the car has not been back in the shop since for any reason, since my dealer and I experienced those 'teething' problems. Been a great car - so far!
    I have a card for 5 free oil changes, perhaps more as I purchased some accessories and they add that on. I do not know if I have a canister filter, I hope not as they are a pain, my wife's Mazda has one. I usually do my own but free is free. I will purchase another vehicle as soon as this is paid off, I liked Toyota's up to now but their corporate is not customer friendly as in been there, done that. Their arrogance will destroy them as in Ford, GM & Chrysler. Hyundi is on their heels, the Azera is a nice vehicle and a lot cheaper. Mercedes is not rated well by Comsumer Reports but worth a look, 2010 will come fast as we all know.
    all 2GRs have the cartridge type filter - I have personally found it a lot neater (although slightly more difficult) than changing the traditional can filter on my wife's Nissan 3.5, for example. Make sure that your dealer even knows that the Avalon takes over 6 quarts of oil - believe it or not, he may not.
    Have heard a number of folks talk about Toyota's 'arrogance' and a point well taken, but also a problem shared by anybody selling high demand vehicles - like Honda, for example. Ford/GM/DC/Hyundai can't afford to be like that, the only way they can sell their cars is with ludricrous discounts up front that you do pay for at trade-in time.
    Today they are no. 1, tomorrow or rather 2010, who knows. I do not see any advantage to a canister filter except to emulate Mercedes Benz, if anyone can point it out please do. I will make an under the hood label to make sure they know although this dealer is pretty good in the service dept. You have to be a west coaster according to your time, I'm in NY, chilly at 37 degrees but not bad for February.
    I think that the sensor for ambient light conditions is behind the center stereo speaker close to the base of the windshield. By simply putting something like a piece if paper on the dash in this area you can therefore 'trick' the system into thinking that it is darker than it is keeping the lights on -and also keep those instances when the dash seemingly changes illumination levels by itself to a minimum.
    the primary advantage is ecological, meaning less material (in this case metal) to throw away. Also, keeping in mind that our engines were developed from the 4 liter truck engine, the filter itself is less prone to damage from kicked up rocks etc.
    Down here in Texas, BTW, 73 degrees and not a cloud :D
    Been to El Paso 4 times in February and April, rained almost every morning for a short time, cleaned up the air nicely. I got this early today from a friend in Montana.Used to be a New Yorker.

>>>> Winter Temperatures
    >>>>
    >>>> 60 above zero:
    >>>> Austinites turn on the heat.
    >>>> People in upstate New York plant gardens.
    >>>>
    >>>> 50 above zero:
    >>>> Californians shiver uncontrollably.
    >>>> People in New York sunbathe.
    >>>>
    >>>> 40 above zero:
    >>>> Italian & English cars won't start.
    >>>> People in New York drive with the windows down.
    >>>>
    >>>> 32 above zero:
    >>>> Distilled water freezes.
    >>>> The water in upstate New York gets thicker.
    >>>>
    >>>> 20 above zero:
    >>>> Austinites don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
    >>>> Upstaters throw on a flannel shirt.
    >>>>
    >>>> 15 above zero:
    >>>> New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
    >>>> Upstaters have the last cookout before it gets cold.
    >>>>
    >>>> Zero:
    >>>> People in Miami all die.
    >>>> Upstaters close the windows.
    >>>>
    >>>> 10 below zero:
    >>>> Californians fly away to Mexico.
    >>>> Upstaters get out their winter coats.
    >>>>
    >>>> 25 below zero:
    >>>> Hollywood disintegrates.
    >>>> The Girl Scouts in Buffalo are selling cookies door to door.
    >>>>
    >>>> 40 below zero:
    >>>> Washington DC runs out of hot air.
    >>>> Niagra Falls issues bulleting that we should allow dogs to sleep
    >>>> indoors.
    >>>>
    >>>> 100 below zero:
    >>>> Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
    >>>> Upstaters get upset because they can't start the Mini-Van.
    >>>>
    >>>> 460 below zero:
    >>>> ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.)
    >>>> On the Canadian border folks start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"
    >>>>
    >>>> 500 below zero:
    >>>> Hell freezes over.
    >>>> Oswego County public schools will open 2 hours late.
  • I just got mine replaced last week after having in about a month ago when they said the part had come in (it was for a Camry). Now that it is fixed it's so much smoother and quieter. I hope yours comes in soon! Good Luck. :)
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    It has been 10 days and my stealer tells me that the oil tube is still on back order. They have the PS pump and a gasket and timing belt waiting for me. They also have 2 other oil tubes on order for other customers.

My oil leak didn't manifest until right after an oil change at 31k. At 1st I thought the problem was the oil cannister leaking. Took it back to the private shop that does my oil changes and they looked at it. The cannister was dry but there was oil on the A arm and the PS pump.

Now I'm just starting to notice the rotten egg smell that was talked about 2 years ago when this car came out. I'm gonna go back and search the early threads and refresh my memory about this issue.
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    Well my research here says it is a cat converter issue. There is TSB #EG039 open on the issue. I guess I'll be having that discussion with them next week.
  • lntlnt Posts: 189
    Join the club of waiting on the oil leak parts! I've been waiting since January 10th!! I've called Toyota corp. 3 times, and I call my dealer several times a week. I am not getting any answers. Toyota e-mailed me a survey to fill out after I talked to them, and I gave them the lowest possible scores. Maybe that will help. The number I called was 1800 331 4331. Maybe if we all call Toyota Corp and bug them about not supplying their dealers, they will start making the parts available. Mine started leaking at about 14,000 miles. Now, I am waiting for the rotten egg smell - so far- none. Thanks for the TSB number on that. I'll be ready for it now.
    Ah, come on, It's only been almost 2 months and they are so busy selling cars and advertising how great their new Camry is, give them a break. Seriously though, as I've stated many times previously, No. 1 breeds arrogance, pride before the fall. If it really bothers you go to a lawyer pay a small fee and have a letter sent on his or her stationary to the OWNER of the car store. State you complaint and you might mention a small claims court suit. As far as corporate, forget it, they have become too Americanized. If someone knows the Japanese corporate information please post it. GOOD LUCK, I've had none..............
    since your Avalon has no timing belt. it may be a long wait and from personal experience in this matter, you may not need the new PS pump.
  • gwsgws Posts: 67
    Mr. Yuki Funo, Chairman & CEO
    Toyota Motor North America
    19001 South Western Ave., PO Box 2991
    TORRANCE CA 90509-2991

Katsuaki Watanabe, President
    Mitsuo Kinoshita, Executive Vice President
    Toyota Motor Corporation
    1 Toyota Cho Toyota City
    Aichi Prefecture 471-8571
    JAPAN M0 00000
    81-565-28-2121
    Thank you, perhaps they "might" listen and to all, send a nice letter to both explaining you problems and lack of service............
  • mariodmariod Posts: 28
    What part was changed?
  • mariodmariod Posts: 28
    I need HELP. What was the fix??? I have a 2005 Avalon with the same noise or clunk in the steering.
    Thanks
  • smuooksmuook Posts: 35
    A small group of Avalon owners are talking with a distributor/manufacturer about a front end kit. Here's what we are considering:

This is a genuine request and would like your input. We are looking for honest feedback. If interested, you can read more and submit input here:

http://www.avalonfaq.com/modules/formulaire/index.php?id=2