Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Hmmm...

Now that you bring it up driving my Porsche does feel a bit like making love...

Got a cigarette...??
  • lntlnt Posts: 188
    Well, mine does that, too, when I leave my fob in the car and try to lock the doors- beeps and doesn't lock - except for those two times when it malfunctioned. THen I didn't try to lock the doors - I just closed them and when I tried to open them a few seconds later, they were locked. If I had been someplace where I couldn't have gotten my spare fob, and the grandkids had been already in the car, they would have been in serious trouble! So don't put too much faith in the system working as it should EVERY time.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    Lets see, fast cars and smokes, hmm, short life span but enjoys it.
  • smuooksmuook Posts: 35
    EG029-07 Toyota TSB

To enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised. Please use the following procedure to address customer concerns.

2006 – 2007 model year Avalon vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.
    BEFORE VIN 4T1BK36B#7U243331

TSB EG029-07
  • rewoprewop Posts: 35
    Today I had my silver 2005 Avalon windows tinted with Llumar Axcess VLR 30, a speciality film that works with NAV equipped vehicles. It looks just great and I'm very pleased with the workmanship of the installers. Also, I learned something new about my Avalon. During the course of the installation one of the installers asked me to come over to the car and feel the inside of my rear window. I did and it felt pitted and coarse. The installer said it was probably caused by "weld splatters" small bits of super-heated metal that land on the windshield and damage the glass. Most of the imperfections are on the sides of the glass and only a few imperfections are toward the center. Although you can't see the imperfections, you can feel them, but when the tint film is applied its like having a small grain of sand on the window and suddenly they are visible. The installer spent a lot of extra time to minimize the appearance of these imperfections. He said he sees these "weld splatters" on about 1 out of 50 cars and that my car was the worst case he had seen. Lucky me.
  • Too bad it doesn't apply to '05 for those with the problem.
  • daprincedaprince Posts: 1
    Reading through these messages about locking the car with the keys inside is interesting. I have a 2007 Limited that I will have to watch for this.

I did have a 1990 Toyota Previa in which I locked myself. I was placing a cupholder in the window on the driver door when I apparently tripped the security. The door locks immediately locked and the car started it's honking and lights flashing. Not a great feeling as my husband was at work, my 3 older girls were in school, my car was in the garage and MY BABY was upstairs in his crib sleeping. I tried everything to get out of my car but could not...everytime I tried to open the doors, the car would just start it's honking. Fortunately, I did have a garage door opener in it so I opened the garage door and just kept setting off the alarm until one of my neighbors noticed and tentatively walked up to the car (the van had dark glass and she could not see if someone was in the van or not). When she finally got to where she could see I was in the van, I was able to get her to go into my house and get my keys which she used to unlock my van and get me out! When I contacted Toyota about this, they suggested that I carry a key inside the van in the event this happened again. I wonder what the best option is in the case of this 2007 Limited? Something to think about for sure.
  • 91199119119911 Posts: 54
    Thanks Smuook, for the info on the Toyota TSB EG029-07, and, for you nay sayer's, I ask,why would Toyota want to come out with a fix for something that was working normal, the last laugh is on you guy's. Remember, just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Toyota knew they had a problem, but was very secrative with it, they said thing's like..."working Normal" "Operating Normally", "Operating within design specifications" and BLA BLA BLA. My inquisitive nature just wonder's what Toyota's Lawyer's will do during Arbitration next week... to throw the towel in, would be "politically correct".

I enjoy this Forum and commend each of you for your contribution, whether negative or positive.

I'll reply on outcome of Arbitration next week, If I'm allowed to.

For those of you that didn't get a fix for your problem...keep plugging...use pro bono Lawyer's or lemon law approach if your state has such, if not, continually bug NHTSA and the manafacture. Success= perseverance.

Cj
  • pcc49pcc49 Posts: 25
    Thanks so much for the tips, Smuook. I had the dealer reprogrammed the ECM per EG029-07 and the difference is night and day! I no longer has the "hesitation" when accelerating from stop! The ironic thing is the local Toyota dealer did not know about this TSB until I gave him the exact EG029-07 number! Then he said many people had complained about the problem and that he is glad the "fix" if finally here! Anyone who has a 2006 Avalon will definitely need this fix which is free. Well done Smuook! How did you find out about fix?
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Good catch smuook! In your research, anything on when Toyota plans tranny TSB for 05 Avy's?

NWBlizzardlink title
    The credit for the find goes to Mike Murrell. He posted it on TundraSolutions and ToyotaNation forums. I happen to frequent this forum also and noticed the information wasn't here... so I posted it because alot of folks have complained about this issue on this forum. It actually doesn't apply to my car.

TundraSolutions keeps a decent database of TSBs and the like, but it's not 100% complete and isn't updated rapidly. Mike found it by getting a 1 day subscription to http://techinfo.toyota.com/

This is the best and most accurate source for tech information about your car... but it's costly for the average Joe. Just a 1 day subscription is $10.

As for the 2005... I know it says 2006/2007... but the question I'd ask the dealer is why WOULDN'T this work for 2005. I have no knowledge of a seperate TSB for 2005.
  • My dealer's shop foreman says before the VIN mentioned the computer is different and the reflash won't change anything. If anyone can talk their dealer into an '05 reflash let us all know if it changes anything.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    What is really sad is that we had this same problem with the 2002 V6 Camry. This problem was well documented by James Healy of USA TODAY. I had a customer with this problem and I went back to the service department and pointed out the article on USA TODAY to the service advisor. They were all clueless at the time. What is really amazing is that the service writers and sales personnel are the last to know when things of this nature happen so the consumer is the one that suffers.
    Mackabee
  • partsguypartsguy Posts: 2
    They have one for the 05. EG033-07. In addition to adjusting ECM, they replace both exhaust manifolds and oxygen sensors ($2400 on the house). Having done 6/27, will let you know if solves problem.
    Here's the link to the TSB...

link to TSB EG033-07
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Thanks for the good info!
    I've been trying to get a copy of TSB EG033-07 for 2005 Avy's, on web sites. Do you know where I can pull this up and print out a copy? Thanks in advance for your help.

NWBlizzard
  • ron6ron6 Posts: 27
    My 2005 Avalon XLS developed a steering knock within the last month at 34,000 miles. I believe that this is the second time they have fixed something in the steering. Anyway, they are replacing the steering column under warranty. Don't know if this has been a general problem or not.

Thanks for the TSB number for the tranny fix. I notice that it is good for 96 months or 80,000 miles from the in-service date. Although I haven't had the problem yet, I'm holding on to the TSB for the day I do!
  • Hi everyone, whew it has been a long time since we posted! Anyway,here is my dilemma. I have an 05 Limited and I have noticed a "lag" in the tranny on rare occassions but nothing too severe, just once in a while the car cannot find the right gear to get up and go for a few seconds. It really does not bother me too much. Should I go ahead and let the dealship know about this and get them to do the "fix" or just wait it out.
    I ask, because I have had bad experiences with ALL of my local dealerships. I won't go into details but I cringe everytime I have to take the car in for something!
    What would you do????
  • Hi Ron, We had the steering column replaced on our 05 Limited, after we noticed a "ticking" coming from the column. The dealership said this fell under the TSB Toyota put out.
    Well, things were fine for about a month then we noticed that the steering column would audibly "clunk" occassionally while starting a slow turn (like into or out of a parking space) and you can feel the wheel shift fore and aft a little. Took the car back in and the dealership tested it for a day and said "this is normal". :confuse:

Hey it never did this before. Oh boy....I am going to take the car back in and test drive "their" demo Avy and see if there is a difference.
    Just check out your steering as soon as you get your car back.
    Well, people may have different opinions on this. Mine is quite simple. I paid $33k for my car. That's a lot of money. I have a 2007 and I went and got the TSB done. Granted, for the 07, it's just a matter of reflashing the ECM. The computer now just has to relearn my driving pattern. Since I just had it done it may be too early to know if it's a significant effect or not. I didn't have an issues before... but I'd have to say it's very smooth now.
    For the 2005, it's a no brain-er to me... Toyota wouldn't be going to all this trouble to fix under warranty if this wasn't a problem. Albiet it might not bother you, I don't know why you wouldn't want the best performance out of your car since you paid a considerable amount of money for it. The procedure is not very intrusive to your engine. They are basically just putting on new external parts... not opening up the engine head or block. New exhaust manifolds, new O2 sensor, new vacuum switch... the reflashing your ECM. If I had a 2005, I'd get it done immediately, but that's me.