Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Just a tad. I did sell two today to make up for my day off yesterday. :)
    Mackabee
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    Glad you took it as the joke I meant.

Since you are in the business, I purchased an 06 Limited, no Nav, no Laser cruise but I believe everything available at the time. I paid $32,300, Deal Or No Deal. (Sorry couldn't resist)I live in Orange county, NY.........
    Deal! What color?
    :)
    Mackabee
    I purchased the Titanium Metallic, I simply could not go with the Blonde interior. I wonder if Toyota does a focus group prior to their style changes. I know the Avalon is dedicated to an older crowd but we're older, not dead. A simple questionnaire on the net, with pictures both interior & exterior would help them a lot, hope I'm not offending anyone but Blonde, really and the dark colors and tan interiors have to go also. Just my taste,Conservative all the way.
    They did canvass previous generation Avalon owners. A couple of my clients told me they received questionnaires in the mail asking for suggestions for this current Avalon. As far as interiors go I think Toyota owns the rights to beige/ivory, stone/grey colors. Once in a while they will throw in a third color choice but not very often. I guess it's a matter of preference. I love the Blizzard pearl and ivory leather combination as well as the Cassis red pearl and Ivory. IMHO the ivory interior color gives the car an more spacious look or feel. The gray seems to me more constricting and crowded. I like them both and have owned Camry with beige and one with gray and I prefer the beige. I'm glad they changed the plood (plastic wood) to a dark walnut. It goes better with the ivory interior. They did the same with the Camry XLE 08. Just curious, if say you went with a black avalon, which color interior would you choose? I think I know the answer. I would go with the ivory interior. Have you visited my carspace page? Here's the link title
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    Depends, mainly on the as you put it plood, I prefer the darker simulations. I had ONE black car, a 1965 Chevelle SS, first week it was deeply scratched down a side, of all places in the church parking lot, from then on it went downhill to a multitude of crazy accidents, as in, a bolt from a building under construction near Wall Street going through the rear fender and on and on, no thank you, NO black cars.

I wanted the Cassis Pearl but not the interiors, I sit inside the car. I have dressed up the SILVER and learned to appreciate it, as in never looking dirty. I installed exhaust ports similar to the very early Buicks, always liked the look, couldn't afford it at the time. The Avalon is a great bang for the buck, looked at Lincolns, Buick Lucerne's, Beemers and Benz, still preferred the Avalon. Toyota needs new stylers, younger if necessary and what is this regional accessory thing, can't order mudguards in the Northeast, do they not know it snows here. This tranny thing worried me but as previously stated mine was made in late June 06, I believe I missed the problem. Three more years on the loan and I will be looking for a new one.
  • lntlnt Posts: 188
    Mackabee, I, too, have never liked the "yellow" plood, but I also do not like the gray leather, so I bought the casis pearl with beige interior. I don't hate the yellow as much as I used too, but I would love to have the darker - I think it would keep me from wanting to trade my car in on a new one. I have the limited, so I am wondering about how much it would cost to have the darker plood installed? I am thinking that because of the steering wheel it would be lots! Any idea?
  • johndjrjohndjr Posts: 80
    This is a minor thing, but wondering if any one else has this.
    I have an '05 Avalon Limited.
    At times when I start it, the MPG has dropped to 0. This is after I have say a half a tank, a reading of say 27 or 28, not a refill when shut down. It will soon (10-20 miles)build back up to about what it was reading before the shut down.
    I know it resets at fill up, but this is not the same.
    It has happened now about 5 or 10 times over the past year.
    Minor, but is it by chance an indicator of things to come right after the warranty has lapsed?
    If in warranty have it checked as the miles and time go by quickly...........
    I have 31k on it, the time runs out in April. I've talked to Toyota of FT Worth and they say it is almost impossible to find out what is wrong unless it does it at their place and they can put the computer on it.
    This sounds like a Don't Bother Us. Was this the car store or the REP. There is obviously something that tells the system the tank is full and to calculate the MPG or is it the display that wipes out. People have to realize that if they don't make noise they will be ignored, don't give up, break their chops if you have to, every day if necessary. If it's the car store, call the REP, if it's the REP go higher, get their refusal in writing and if need be go to an independent and have it diagnosed and then go to small claims if they won't reimburse you, never, ever give up. They make too much damn money from us as is and the car stores get reimbursed for the warranty, if it's not enough thats their fault not yours. Does anyone really know HOW MUCH a vehicle really costs to manufacture and ship, I'll bet the profit margin is 25%.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    This has happened in my '06 XLS as well. If the car is parked on a slight hill the computer will sometimes interpret that as a change in the tank volume, resetting the gauge as if you just filled the tank. Honestly, the FE meter should not reset when you fill the tank, there should be a manual reset like on my Grandfather's Grand Marquis. What if you are on a long trip that uses more than one tank of fuel? I know you can always do it the old fashioned way but that's not cool! :D

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

The first time it happened, it fit your scenario. It was on a fairly steep angle. I figured it had thought the tank was empty and had been refilled. However, since then it has occurred on flat parking lots.
    And I agree with you. My Volvo you had to reset it yourself after a fill up.
    Haven't decided yet which is the best method, having to manually do it or it doing it itself. Being lazy and trying to be precise is a problem.
    Tomorrow I take it in for the transmission upgrade. I'll talk to them some more about this little problem. I'll not get bent out of shape about it either way.
  • lntlnt Posts: 188
    Concerning MPG resetting - I have had this happen to me several times, also. I have noticed that usually it happens when I have parked on an incline. How about you? I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
    Good idea, never, ever get bent out of shape.
    "Does anyone really know HOW MUCH a vehicle really costs to manufacture and ship, I'll bet the profit margin is 25%."

You're probably right. They do have to pay the designers and engineers lots of money though. And the guys that do the blueprints..well Toyota does most of their design by CAD which reduces costs but they do have a heck of a team of engineers. JL have you considered leasing versus buying? If you trade after three or four years and don't drive more than 12=15k miles per year you should consider it.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    love leasing... but only do 3 years so the car is in warranty the whole time (bumper to bumper) and you won't need tires, brakes etc.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I remember a friend of mine who purchased a GM product with an 18% discount through a family member working got them.

As far as leasing, having a frugal upbringing and nowhere to write it off I simply do not find it economically worthwhile. If you want an expensive vehicle that you really can't afford or have a way to write it off it's a good idea, other than that it is not, check with Consumers Reports or Edmunds which is the better way. My company expected a 21% profit margin, no matter what, I imagine the car companies expect more. My Avalon is 15 months old with 6000 miles.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    25% way way low I believe, most manufactured goods (not just cars) cost 1/2 of sticker in terms of direct materials and labor, and that number also includes an allowance for warranty costs. Is Toyota doubling their money - perhaps, and let's hope so as they continue to expand their presence in this country, and pay more and more of our taxes directly and/or indirectly (thru their employees).
    I was refering to PROFIT margin............