Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    understanding where you came from - but do you really think that 26 mpg is poor FE? That's about what I gotten on mine for 75000 miles now!
  • sbmansbman Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 Touring. My mileage dropped about the same when the gas was switched to the 10% alcohol mix. I also notice better mileage using name brand gas. I was getting 32+ on the road and 21 around town.
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    I just rode mine down the state. 33.4 mpg with air on. I put mobile one oil with fuel miser..at walmart synthetic oil
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    You don't say whether or not you reset the engine/transaxle ECU. That should have been a standard procedure when you replace any of the engine emissions control components.

If you didn't then that might be worth a try.

Just one bad tank of gas and the resulting knock sensor tripping will result in the engine running at a higher RPM and/or enriched to avoid knock/ping due to lugging.
  • retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    A few suggestions: Check your tires. Try pumpiing them up to 35 psi and try using Mobil 1 all synthetic motor oil. Also, be sure your air filter has been changed.
  • im1941im1941 Posts: 2
    I tried all the obvious things like tire pressure, air filter and different brands and grades of gas. I should add that the dealer did all the wrenching not me so any resetting of the computer should have been done. I did not try the synthetic oil since I found very little improvement when I tried it in my previous vehicle (certainly not 5 mpg) and I doubt the original oil was synthetic. In the last 50,000 miles I have gotten 31+ on two tanks and both times I was above 6,000 feet in elevation for the whole tank. I don't know if that is a clue to anything. The dealer keeps saying if there is no code signals then there is nothing he can do. I still think it has to have something to do with the computer not functioning correctly.
  • Anyone have a good on-line source for this part?
  • sbmansbman Posts: 12
    Try this link. I bought several air cabin filters from them at a reasonable price.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Auto-Parts/10101.jcw
  • Worked out well. Thanks for the help
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    You shouldn't need pictures or diagrams for the cabin filter it is easy and will take less than 5 minutes.

1:) Empty the glove box
    2:) On the right side of the glove box remove the (1) screw holding the little "shock" in place
    3:) Squeeze in the sides of the box and gently pull down, the entire box will swing out of the way
    4:) behind the door will be the fliter housing, open it and pull out the fliter and replace it in the same orientation it came out.
    5: Reverse the steps to put it all back together.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• pfarleypfarley Posts: 1
    Still need help after reading the instruction such as
    On the right side of the glove box remove the (1) screw holding the little "shock" in place

There is no screw but there is a plastic cross item that seems resistant to turn and what is the little shock. Is the screw inside or on the outside of the glove box interior?
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    If I'm not mistaken, the shock resembles a piece of "flex" tubing. This is what allows your glove box door to open slowly instead of just falling to the end of the hinge when you open it.

Roland
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    I'm sorry, I forget to tell you the screw is inside the glove box..
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The instructions above your post are for the '05+ Avalon the previous generation is a bit more difficult to change. I did it on my '03 and just don't remember it well enough to help, hopefully someone who did it recently on a 2000 - 04 can chime in here. I seem to remember having to remove the panel under the glove box, then removing a few bolts to drop the glove box in order to get access behind it.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• retired7retired7 Posts: 133
    Request feedback from owners on high mileage 2005+ Avys on any repair/maintenance surprises you may have encountered..

NWBlizzard
  • wilsongkwilsongk Posts: 6
    Hi:

Just purchased a 2005 Avalon and found out later that it has the remote start option. I cannot figure out how this works. Can anyone help me with an explanation. There is no button on the smart key.

Thanks
    keith
  • soccerphsoccerph Posts: 3
    Keith,

If it works like my '06, press the "lock" button twice within 2 seconds, then press once more and hold for 3 seconds. Engine should start.

Of course, as we all complain about on here, as soon as you unlock the door, the engine will stop again........ :mad:
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    75k 05 model = $0
  • doobredoobre Posts: 42
    You are lucky if you don't get one with the crap tranmission.. that is a big surprise for a so called "top of the range"..

after only 85,000KMS replaced the power steering pump, steering rack, paint peeling, rotten eggs smell with hard acceleration.. exactly the same problems with my workmate's car.. more surprise to come I am sure..

its a crap car.. period..

if you haven't yet don't.. if you have good luck..
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    You've must have gotten a Chinese counterfeit one. Haven't seen that many problems as you state on any Toyota.
    ;)
    Mack :lemon: