Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• I have Weathertech's and love them. They are expensive, but worth it, at least to me. I bought the regular Weathertech mats for the Avalon, but if I bought again, I would buy the more expensive floor liners. I have the floor liners in my 4Runner and they are much nicer.

Jim Wells
    Tallahassee, FL
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    I have to ask, WHY are you so pleased with them. As with all things there are expensive & not so expensive. I have Weather-Tech for my windows and they are much better & yes expensive. I purchased mats from Sears, durable & reasonable,a cost effective product but just my opinion.
  • The floor liners fit perfectly out of the box, are easy to clean, and prevent water and other liquids from getting to the carpet. They also use the factory hooks on the front seats. I like mine. I'm sure there are less expensive choices that will work.
  • clarence10clarence10 Posts: 55
    Hi all, I recently picked up a used 2006 avalon limited. I love this car. Got rid of my Infinit M35x at end of lease. That car guzzled gas.

Anyway, I was looking at some aftermarket BT options and came across this

Scosche BlueFusion

My 3 questions are....

1. Has anyone used this product before?
    2. Since this unit is made for the Toyota Avalon, all you need to do is pop out the radio, and plug it into the Sat Radio plug. No wire splicing at all. (My car does not have Sat Radio built in)
    3. How hard is it to pop out the radio? Where can I find a manual to show me how to do it?

If anyone has removed the radio, I would like any advice or tips.

Thanks in advance to all.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    This may help you out with the radio removal:

link title

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• clarence10clarence10 Posts: 55
    Is the dash trime removal tool Toyota specific? or is it a generic tool. Where can I get it?

Thx for the info
    Its generic. Just a slim piece of plastic. Crutchfield.com probably sells it for a few bucks.

• doobredoobre Posts: 42
    I have had a similar problem (and many many more of far more impact) but the PW switch was a temporary thing.. it happened only once after the car was in for service and a wash. when I pressed the PW button for passenger window from the drivers side it did not work. when I reached over and pressed the switch for that window on the passengers button it did work... but the green light inside the switch was flashing...

I stopped sometime later on. put all the windows up and down all the way and then stop the engine, locking the car and opening it again and starting up, the problem did not come back.
    of course it may have been a coincidence..

Good luck to you if this is all that has gone wrong with your avalon, my experiences have shown it is a s**t car as far as I'm concerned.. cheers
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    My experience has been just the opposite of doobre. I have a 05 Limited I bought new. I'm pushing 70K trouble free miles. Great ride and very good MPG, especially on highway. (Close to 30 doing 65 mph.)
    yes well Jeff, if you had all the problems I have had with my avalon and the dealer says they can do nothing, either because they are "intermittent issues" or "the model sold in the middle east is not fixable as is the US model".. I think you'd be pissed too... and the arrogance of Toyota makes the situation worse...
    this is my first and last Toyota..
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    Interesting comments, please explain "model sold in the middle east is not fixable as is the US model".

Sold where? What is different about the car? I thought all Avalons were made at the same place (Kentucky).

What sort of problems are you having?
    Good reason, sorry I usually get an email on an answer but not this time.

What do the weathertechs cost ?
    popsavalon
    I was told by the dealer here (Al Futtaim - they have the monopoly) in Dubai that the 2005 sold in the ME is not fixable by the TSB which was issued by TOYOTA for the 2005 tranmission US model.. this was from the UAE National Service Manager.. I don't believe them but ...... I think there is some other reason that they can not\will not fix it... some 'special' agreement between TMC and the local dealer here ?... but you are right it's made in the same factory in US..

If you do a search on these forums for "doobre" I am sure you will find many threads discussing my issues.. main issue has been [and still is] the crap transmission...

cheers doobre
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    Thanks for the reply. I hate to think about resolving problems associated with a "Japanese vehicle- mfg. in US- sold in Dubai". Sounds like the dealer is using this to his advantage to minimize service work.

The transmission issues for various Avalon models (my 07) have been fixable per the TSBs, and result in a very nice driving vehicle.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    No doubt if I had the problems you have had I'd feel the same way. I am also disappointed that many complain of Toyota's attitude towards customers with problems. Is there a car manufacturer out there that really makes an effort to resolve problems fairly? That's why I hate to get back into the new car market. I think I'll run mine until they drop. Now that I think of it, I had a brake problem with my Subaru that was covered by warranty. They stepped right up and took care of it & I even got a loaner. However, I had shoddy work on other occasions with 2 Subaru dealerships.
  • Based on the useful suggestions, I decided to splurge on the Weathertech floormats. I spend about $170, and while that was way more than alternatives, it was worth it. They fit perfectly, look great, and will catch all the dirt, sand, snow, and water I'll track into my car. The color doesn't perfectly match the ivory interior, but they still match well enough. Thanks for the recommendation, and consider this my recommendation for these mats.
    Good luck, for me they would have to more than sit on the floor for $170. Any news on the 2010 Avalon, minus the rumors.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Any news on the 2010 Avalon, minus the rumors.

Good place to pursue that: 2010 Toyota Avalon.

;)
  • 5539655396 Posts: 530
    We have a 2003 Avalon and have upgraded the suspension with Energy sway bar bushings and KYB GR2 struts which transformed the car. (see posts in previous 04 and earlier and Suspension forums) I really like the car now with it's BMW like handling, but it now has 80k on it and I can probably still get a decent price for it. The other choice is to just keep it.

We have been put off by the size of the 05+ Avalons and weren't impressed with the lack of 'fun factor' in ones that we drove. But I have a size question for those of you that traded up from the previous generation. What were your early impressions of the new design? Did it feel a lot larger? How did the driving experience compare. I expect that the suspension was more taut, but was it as enjoyable to drive or just feel like a nice riding big car? With ES 350's coming off lease, I'm considering one as we really don't need the extra size of the Avalon. I would probably upgrade the suspension on that for a sportier feel too.
    I went from an '03 XL to an '06 XLS. The extra size was't a big deal for me. If anything it was a plus. IMO the only thing that the '03 had over the '06 was the seats. They were bigger and more comfortable to me. Other than that the '06 was fantastic, more power with better MPG, slightly better handling (although still soft) and great features. Also, the Toyota 2GR V6 is amazing, one of the greatest V6's available today. If I were you I would look for a lightly used Touring model provided you don't mind black interior as that is all that is available. The Touring has a tighter suspension, xenon lights, and a spoiler all standard.

Regarding the ES, if you don't need the extra room the Avalon offers the ES may be for you. Take note though, that it rides very soft and isolated from the road. This doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

In the end they are both great cars. My '06 Avalon only had an O2 sensor problem in the time I owned it (3 yrs 35K). I have a Hyundai Genesis now and while its a great car I miss my Avalon.