Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• henry8thhenry8th Posts: 3
    Fantastic. Thank you very much for the reply. I'm even looking at having it all replaced without the sun roof. Unless, of course, the dealer will fix it as per your TSB. Thank you again. That was nice of you to send along.
  • Check out #13673 by captain2, when he started using Toyo Versados and explained the reasons for size 235-50-17. I also have these, they perform really well in summer and also did OK their first winter.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    edited March 2010
    Not sure about the rubbing on the car but there may be a speedo correction necessary.... or maybe not. ;)
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Posts: 460
    edited March 2010
    fin, 235-50-17 is wider but does not rub and has same circumference as the original 215/55-17, so no speedometer error. This was explained in captain2's messages that followed #13673. ;) ;)
    Thanks for the correct information...my tire size calculator program showed a big difference and it was wrong for some reason, now it works properly... :)
  • dlovesbdlovesb Posts: 34
    I want to thank captain 2,havalongavalon and others for the replies to finding wider tires. A similiar question is the 235/50-17 the widest without getting a wider rim? I don't care about a couple of mile an hour differences in speed. I know our avalons are meant to be luxurious sedans but I have added a custom shaved wing from a celica to my car. It makes the car look sporty. I have had a ton of compliments on the look from all age groups. I tend to personalize my cars.This is why I wanted widest tires I can put on those rims. To have that finishing touch or stance look for the car. :shades:
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Posts: 76
    Has anyone experienced a jammed rear window shade (sunscreen) on the Avalon LImited, where it would not automatically retract after you push the button that operates it OR after you put the car in reverse? I have that problem now for the first time and wondered if anyone knows of a do-it-yourself fix. I may need to see a Toyota service dept. otherwise.
  • rhackrhack Posts: 24
    I agree with riley3's assessment, also I have noticed that the laser does not detect certain vehicles such landscape trailers with expanded metal ramps. car will run right to the back of trailer before engaging. Not worth the extra cost.
  • davepiszykdavepiszyk Posts: 16
    I have a 2007 LTD Avalon with an electric rear sunscreen. It stopped working this past week. I can hear a click when I push the button but nothing...It's also stuck in the up position.
    Is there a manual override so I can drop the screen down? Is there an easy fix as this sounds like the electric motor may be fried....
  • jlsextonjlsexton Posts: 301
    Dave, I own a 2006, mine retracts automaticly in reverse, a safety feature I assume but you have made me a little nervous. I use this only when parking on a very sunny day or at night to block some idiots highbeams, so did you use this very frequently as in daily, I'm trying to estimate it's life. No button on mine at all.
    Just wondering in anyone else has this problem, the gas filler door NOT opening.

This happened in my Camry & now the 06 Avalon & has been for about a year or more. It's a cheap lousy set up as the metal is not tempered as in an actual spring. On the Camry it eventually broke off from me having to bend it out at each fillup. Not as serious a problem as most unless you're low on gas & it won't open. Now I place a credit card in the closed door and press the release if it refuses to work properly.
  • davepiszykdavepiszyk Posts: 16
    Yes, I use it often as I live in So Cal. It also has the reverse auto feature.
    How do you raise it up if you don't have a button?
    edited July 2010
    This happened to me on my '07 Limited.... The problem was the retracting part, not the door. It may need a little adjustment or maybe retighten the locknut holding it in place. Yes, it is a BIG surprise when it happens and you are out of town and out of gas as we were. Keep it lubricated too, that helps. Repaired it myself, has not been a problem since.
    Sorry, my teleprompter wasn't working properly. Yes I have a button to raise it, for some reason I simply forgot as it always lowers itself & it just skipped my mind. Is your Avalon not still under warranty, it is a 2007. I would take a voltmeter & check the connection to see is it has 12 volts, perhaps this thing is fused & it blew, IF it is the motor I personally would first ask the dealers service dept.to repair it, if no then the area Rep, again if no, I would make it clear I was posting their answers on Edmunds. With Toyota's quality problems lately perhaps they might not want you to do so & oblige, who knows.
    I will follow your advice BUT I believe it is the metal spring part, as when I bend it out it opens fine. I was thinking of trying to insert a small coil spring to eliminate this annoyance. As I said the one on the Camry actually broke & I replaced it. On a $36000 (list price ) vehicle I would expect better.
  • ogaboneogabone Posts: 1
    Help, 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited my smart key will not lock or unlock doors only a steady beep for about 2 sec, but will open the trunk and start the car. All doors are closed It worked fine before. The buttons on the remote still work so I dont think it is the battery. Any suggestions?
  • bowerbower Posts: 2
    yesterday my wife and I noticed that both the passenger and driver floors were wet, we park the car in a garage, so it is not out in the rain, we have been using the AC a lot lately, could this be an AC drainage issue, the water seemed to come from below the floor mats.
    Probably a clogged drainage hose BUT it seems far too soon in an 05, this usually takes a lot longer, of course I'm in NY & only use it for a couple of months. I'd try that first, before looking for a leak. ONly happened to me once in a Starion & it was 12 years old. .
    edited July 2010
    I was hoping for a facelift for the 2011, guess we'll have to wait until next year.

On the sudden acceleration fix, make sure they re-flash your vehicle to safe-brake standards. Your engine should slow down immediately upon touching the brake.
  • bowerbower Posts: 2
    Thank You for that info, hope its just a clogged drain.