Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hello, did u' have any success w/ the lemon law. I also need help same prob like yours and many more. 05.5 V8 xC90.
  • I feel your dissapointment. i have thesame problem as well and many more. Pls. share ur' progress my 18 mos. is over in Nov.'06
  • Have I known 'bout this forum b/ buying. I wolud not recommend this SUV to no one. Save ur' self.
  • Do you mean the battery died twice? Was it ever figured out? Just curious, as I've dealt with a total of 5 dead batteries (due to draining - the batteries themselves were fine and could be jumped) so far this year on '06 XC90s. Yes, 2 XC90s! Volvo replaced the first one as it was Lemon-status bound here - I suspect they come out ahead replacing first. The second one is now doing the SAME thing...
  • "the car mysteriously keeps draining the battery."
    You get this solved yet? BOTH my XC90's kept/keep doing that!
    Has the battery been going out when the car's been parked in the same location - like say, a garage?
  • Keep reporting each problem, and documenting Volvo's reply. You say: "once the car has been started, they consider that the problem has been solved." So have them write this up for you! If it REALLY qualifies as a lemon in your state, persue your rights under the Lemon Laws! And DON'T forget to let NHTSA know of your ongoing issues - you can report your vehilce at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If Volvo's not willing (perhaps it's more like ABLE) to do anything, YOU SHOULD TRY WHATEVER YOU LEGALLY CAN TO GET THEM TO ACT. You may have protection rights - find out! GOOD LUCK!
  • "I never thought I'd buy a 50,000 dollar car, and now I have and it's had more problems in the first 10 months now than any car I've ever bought has had in the first several years of owning them. How ridiculous is that??"
    VERY ridiculous!! Ditto for me - I've had one XC90 replaced by Volvo because they couldn't fix it, now I have a SECOND one (both are limited edition '06's) that has the same identical issue!!
    You know what 'VOLVO' might stand for?? Very Often Lemon Vehicle Outcome!!
    Hee-hee....... an absolute nightmare - sorry i bought my first one back in March - sorry I agreed to the replacement too! Guess I was being too optomistic that I wouldn't get another problem car.... WRONG!
  • I certainly regret buying mine!!! Be sure to see my next post...
  • 2006 Volvo Ocean Race XC90s and XC70s..... GORGEOUS, powerful vehicles, fully loaded, NOT cheap price tags. There were only 600 VOR XC70s made, and 800 XC90's. I don't think they are all just in the U.S, but not sure on this.
    Island2 seems to have had lots of issues with his/her XC90. Actually, there SHOULD just be 799 XC90's out there, unless Volvo re-sold number 612? They took it when it was obviously just about a legal lemon, and gave me another one in exchange. I purchased the vehicle late in March... by mid May, it had FOUR non-start battery issues, and Volvo was clueless as to why. NOW MY SECOND VOR XC90... less than 6,000 miles and it's been at dealership for three days so far - - SAME BATTERY ISSUE!
    I've also read of one apparent XC70 lemon - so far.
    Since these are limited edition vehicles, would it be possible to set up some little forum for VOR owners? It'd be real helpful to hear of other's complaints and/or compliments on these vehicles.
  • Stuck in Park position and many other problemsHello: Anyone out there ever start their car and they cannot get the gear shift out of park? 2005 XC90. Just had the car towed to local Volvo dealer 3rd time. (car is 19 mos old-missed lemon law). I think it is related to other problems I have had since September. I keep getting the message "Brake Assist Required" and "Anti Skid Service Required". They tell me they have re-set the computer and replaced a brake sensor at the pedal. But now, I still am getting the msgs and the car will not move from the "P" position. Somehow I think it is all related. Also since the spring, I get a very loud grinding noise when backing and my foot is on the brake while the wheels are turned. They first blew me off and said it was the power steering and that I was turning my wheels too much. Well I'm not stupid and I don't turn my wheels very tight. The noise is extremely louder now so they checked out the braked. Now they've decided my brakes are "glazed over" and I need a brake job. Said since the vehicle had 18,000 miles not under warranty for brakes. I argued I've always had the noise. Got nowhere. Still haven't had the brake job, want to get a second opinion on that one. Send long letter to Volvo, so far my car is still at the dealer. Would love to get rid of this car!
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    Those 2 XC90 with the same mysterious problem have another thing in common: You as the owner...

A VOR is the same car as the other XC70 or 90 but with different colours and fabrics and leather inside. Hardly something to make them more or less reliable than the others..

What do you think happen when a manufacturer takes a car back for whatever reason??

a) They send it to the moon?
    b) They use a giant laser beam to make it disappear?
    c) They use it as land fill?

My wife and I owned 6 Volvo's since 1988. Never had one drained the battery overnight for no reason. Wait, I've owned cars for over 30 years now, the only car who would do that was my 1968 Toyota Crown; but we were then in 1978.

And Toyota refused to take it back...

Darn.... :P
  • Never claimed the battery drained overnight, guyf. It doesn't. Drive those newer Volvos every single day? Do you always lock them?
    Blame me all you want.... it's a Volvo defect and I know it. :lemon:
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    No, we don't get to drive them everyday. My car sit's for days at the airport parking when I travel on business at starts right up when I turn the key; even in sub zero weather.

"Do you always lock them?" Most of the time yes, but quite often I leave it unlocked in my driveway. I'm not sure I get the point of the question however.. :confuse:
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Mine has also sat at airport parking for several days and survived just fine - the outdoor temperature has no effect. As for it being unlocked in your driveway, I'd have to wonder just how many consecutive hours it sits there.
    It's certainly understandable you don't get the point of my question - Volvo hasn't caught onto it yet either.
    :lemon:
  • guyfrguyfr Posts: 55
    "It's certainly understandable you don't get the point of my question - Volvo hasn't caught onto it yet either."

So, what does having the car locked or unlocked has to do with the issue??? :confuse:
  • I think the fan in the ventilation system will stay on if you don't lock it...? Something along those lines? Mine seems to hum in the dash after I turn it off... tried locking it once while I was still in it, and the noise stopped upon locking. and for what it's worth, my 07 has been FANTASTIC so far (all 3k miles of it lol)
  • What you are referring to might actually be two different things, but yes, the fan will sometimes stay on for a brief while after the car has been turned off - it is designed that way. As for your hum..... can you hear it even when the car's been turned off for more than a few minutes? I'm very curious!
  • Gee, I guess I have to wait for Volvo to figure that one out! Those 'special' corporate techs are the experts, right?! :lemon:
  • guyfrguyfr Posts: 55
    Yes, trying to read your mind is quite difficult.. :confuse:
  • Two week old 2007 XC90 with about 400 miles and getting ABS warning. Took it to dealer and they reset it. Before we got home, it came back on. It has been at the dealer for three days. They can't find the problem and told me they have contacted Volvo's tech support for guidance. Not real encouraging.

Anyone else experience this? :(