Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rou1rou1 Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2007 XC90 and wondering what prices were paid for extended warranty. They offered $3,300
  • This usually happens in the morning, when engine is cold. More prevelant on colder days. The clicking noise arises when gas pedal is pressed. When foot is off the accelerator, it goes away until pedal is depressed again. Seems to go away after car is good and warmed up.
    I usually use high test fuel, or middle grade octane. It doesn't seem to matter, though.

Any suggestions before I bring it to the mechanic?

Thanks!
  • I have 42,000 mi. C/S oil leaking .LF axle shaft removed, inner core seal dislodged allowed trans & cv grease to mix.What I first noticed was Black fluid,seal replaced. Drove for 2 days,Still leaking, now red fluid, Axle & seal replaced again. Still leaking red fluid. Returning to dealer for the 3rd time. Any help. Thanks'
  • At 75,000 miles I was advised that my car had an oil leak at the head gasket. Has anyone had this problem with their car. I have taken it to two dealerships both advising of this problem without looking deep, I then took it to an independent Volvo mechanic who by looking deeper advised this was indeed the case.

We have also had an oil leak at the chain drive / transfer case. Has anyone had this problem. :lemon:

An independant mechanic said this car at this amount of mileage should not have these problems.
  • I have an '06 XC90 V8 that has been to the dealership on too many occassions to correct a clanking noise in the rear when either coming to a complete stop or a rolling stop. It seems like the breaks are sticking then release with a clunk and the car vibrates. This occured after both rear wheel seals (hubs) were replaced at different times.The following attempts to repair it were performed:

greasing the E brake cable

replace the rear drive which was a major repair.

The problem still exists and it seems like it happens more often in warmer weather. The dealer has run out of options. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
  • I am very unhappy with Volvo right now. I purchased a 2003 XC90 11 months ago and once my used car warranty was up things started to go wrong. I t was found that this vehicle (which was owned by Volvo fleet) still had the original spark plugs in it, never changed, the original air filter, never changed (63,000 miles). The wheel bearings on the right rear went, some inter cooler piping was causing a loud whistle and then the final straw was the transmission went on Christmas Eve, with 75,000 miles. I have since learned that the cause was a faulty plug in the front axle (which also had to be replaced) and this christmas gift cost me $4,400.00 after alread $1,500 worth of repairs prior). I have tried the dealership - nothing and I have written Volvo - sorry, we don't back our cars after 50,000 miles. Anybody out there that can share a story where volvo backed their vehicles after the warranty? Any info would be very helpful. I am writing more letters to volvo and I am hoping that I will get them to help with some of the repairs. I just hope there are no more repairs for at least a year so I can afford them. Thanks for listening and this will be my only post about my one really bad vehicle!!! Any info can be sent to thas9469@hotmail.com. Thanks again.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    First of all, did you buy the car as a CPO from a Volvo dealer?

If not, it isn't Volvo's fault how the car was cared for or re-conditioned.

Next, NOBODY warranties a car after the warranty is over.
    What is the point of having an end date for a warranty then?
    Volvo has been known to goodwill a repair IF you are the original owner and if the car has a good maintenance history.
  • 1) The 2003 XC 90 is listed on Consumer Reports as a "Do not buy" car. There is no reason why the average buyer would know that - but it is a very bad vehicle and has been for several years. My local independent Volvo repair center (30 years in the business) just says "Don't touch them unless you are willing to pay triple the average costs of keeping them running".
    2) "CPO" or not, the dealer has at least a moral obligation to sell the car in at least a condition that does not require immediate service to bring it up to everyday standards - those are not "CPO" standards which are far higher.
    3) The car is known to be a problem model; the dealer sold it in less than "honest condition"; Volvo has an obligation to see that its dealers operate at some minimum level of responsibility, which they did not; known defects in the car that were never repaired by Volvo or any dealer should be Volvo's responsibility, not the unknowing and trusting buyer's.
    1) The 2003 XC 90 is listed on Consumer Reports as a "Do not buy" car. There is no reason why the average buyer would know that - but it is a very bad vehicle and has been for several years. My local independent Volvo repair center (30 years in the business) just says "Don't touch them unless you are willing to pay triple the average costs of keeping them running".

The only 03 that really had any issues was the T6.
    The 2.5T's were by and large fine cars.
    However, there are plenty of resources available to car shoppers before they buy.
    Being an informed buyer is the best defense.

3) The car is known to be a problem model; the dealer sold it in less than "honest condition"; Volvo has an obligation to see that its dealers operate at some minimum level of responsibility, which they did not; known defects in the car that were never repaired by Volvo or any dealer should be Volvo's responsibility, not the unknowing and trusting buyer's.

First of all, it has not been established that a Volvo dealer sold the car used.
    Judging by the post, I tend to doubt that it was a Volvo dealer.
    A non Volvo dealer wouldn't be aware of the XC90's service or repair needs.
    If anything, the lesson here is that it is best to pay a little more and get a CPO car.
    What is also clear is that the previous owner didn't maintain the car.
    That isn't the responsibility of Volvo Cars either.
  • Please help! I have 36,000 miles on my 2004 XC90, and have maintenance issues that cannot seem to be resolved. I have had problems with my door speakers since day 1 of owning my XC90. The speaker will not stay tight against the door, and because it's loose the whole door rattles. Dealer has replaced the speaker numerous times, but this doesn't help at all.
    The car clunks when I turn right at low speed with the brakes pressed. Dealer has seen the car for this on more than one occasion and has replaced bearings, which helps for a short time and then the clunking starts again.
    I'm also having problems with the transmission. The car clucks when I shift from Park to Reverse, and it revs too high before it changes gears when I'm driving (auto trans). Dealer updated software, but I have a lack of confidence in their ability to fix my car.
    To add insult to injury, I'm on my 3rd set of tires. Can anyone out there get more than 10,000 miles from their tires?
    I love the way my XC90 drives, but if I had know then what I know now, I'd never have bought this car...this is my last Volvo.
  • "there you go again" as my favorite president would say! I know you work for Volvo but regarding thas9469 post about his XC90 my 04 XC90 had every service required by the dealer and the transmission still failed, along with many other things, the 03 and 04 XC90's are just a hunk of junk! I'm just sorry I didn't see this website before I bought the car, I know better now! I still recommend to anybody out there even considering the purchase of a Volvo don't waste your money! Volvo has a huge problem with the 03 and 04 XC90 it is not if the transmission fails, it is when it fails, because IT WILL FAIL. :lemon:
  • Make them replace your transmission while it is still under warranty, if you wait until you are out of warranty you will have at least a $4200 bill! If you need to copy all of these posts about the transmission repairs in these cars and take it with you to the dealership. If you don't get any satisfaction that way, call Anne Belec CEO of Volvo North America in Irvine.
  • As long as Volvo reps "cover" for these very bad, and unsafe cars they will continue to undermine public confidence in the entire Volvo line. Volvo makes some good cars, the XC 90 is not, and has not been one of them. The newer ones are showing themselves very little better than the earlier ones, although the new six may redeem itself, it is still too early to tell, and to early to buy one. If you do buy one, get the Volvo (not after market) extended warranty, and then sell it at the end of coverage with full disclosure to any new buyer.
    My perspective is simply broader than yours.
    It may surpise you, but the vast majority of XC90's never need a transmission.
    Yes, some have, usually after the car is well out of warranty.
    Obviously, it is a shame when any car breaks down,but it does happen.
    Even cars with sterling reputations suffer breakdowns, sometimes catastrophic ones. Recalls by all automakers have gone way up over the last 5 yrs. Even the japanese are not immune to this. Cars are more complicated than ever, and that complication cuts into reliability.
    i have often stated that I would not own any car for a long period of time without an extended warranty. Precisely because the chance of an expensive repair goes up the older a car gets and because of the high cost of components. Even if I owned a Honda or a Lexus, I would get an extended warranty.
    It is foolish to expect a motor company to publish a warranty and then have them honor a claim when the car is 10, 20, 30000 miles over than warranty.If you dropped your car insurance,and then had an accident, why would you expect them to pay? Car makers aren't charities, they are businesses.
  • I have my fingers crossed while I'm typing this post (which makes typing difficult :-) ). I hope I don't jinx myself. My 2005 XC90 has been good to me. For the 3 years I've had it, it has not been to the shop except for the regular maintenance intervals. The only thing I've had to spend on are the tires. I replaced it at around 30K miles. Not that it already needed replacement. There was still enough tread life but by the time the lease ends in July I know it will be just about or less than the 5/32 tread life requirement. I figured might as well replace the tires early and feel safer during the rainy season. I'm returning it because I want to go with a smaller car with a better gas mileage. Although the gas consumption is average for this vehicle, for commuting, I prefer to drive one with somewhere around 35 mpg. That actually more than doubles the value of my gas money because I wouldn't have to use 91 octane.

I just thought I'd share my experience. I truly feel bad for those who've had so much trouble with theirs.
  • Thank you for your help and advice. Unfortunately, my gut feeling is that my dealership is simply unwilling to make any necessary repairs while the car is under warranty. I am going to contact Ms. Belec's office ASAP.
  • My perspective is broad enough to see the posts on the site and know that the transmissions in the 03 and 04 XC90 will all fail. Your perspective on the other hand is skewed because you work for Volvo. Please.....
    Volvo's "dedication to quality" and "commitment to surpass customer expectations" . . . is a bunch of bull. I for one will make it my mission to tell everybody the truth about their cars and the junk that Volvo is cranking out these days. XC90 :lemon: s! You can try to defend this all you want but the truth about these cars is on this site for all to see. Again... for anybody out there even giving a thought to the purchase of one of these cars . . . DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,828
    tat, please enlighten us further as to all the 03 & 04 transmissions failing - how many miles, how many years, what sort of usage will wreck the transmission quickest? what's the most miles you've ever seen an 03/04 xc90 transmission go? what is the usual failure mode?
    volvomax perhaps you have some data/viewpoint on the above questions too,.
    You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how erroneus it may be.
    How many XC90's have you personally been around?
    How many XC90 owners post on Edmunds?
    A truthful answer to both is not many.

You are emotionally invovled, which is understandable, but it hardly makes you a credible source on all of Volvo.
  • If you read my post my 03 xc90 t6 only had 30 thousand miles back in november and it was babied like a dream. we only used it for the weekends and did not commute to work in it. although volvo has helped us just out of warranty they have spent over 12 thousand dollars in it and guess what? my transmission they just put in it that does not yet have 1 thousand miles on it is now skipping also. there are way too many posts on this website to deny this is a problem in this vehicle and two different volvo dealers in this area are admittting the tranny is no good but put it off on gm since they made it. there should have been a mass notice to folks or a recall regardless of the loss to the company for many folks have many friends and neighbors such as myself and it has been embarrassing explaining why mine is in the dealer more than it is home now and having them look at me like i am stupid for the kinda money i paid for it the vehicle to have these problems now. fact is for the cost of a volvo you can buy other brands for half the money and save if you have these many problems. I saw three other xc90s getting transmissions at the dealer at the same times i was dealing with mine. so in one small city i know of four vehicles in three months. this website helped me get another transmission for i printed over 50 people in the last year with bad transmission in this vehicle. my dealer approached the situation and it could not be denied it was not my fault.