Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• byron6byron6 Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where I can locate what should be performed for this maintenance period. The dealerships seem to combine a 30K and 60K at a cost between $650 and $750. They want to change spark plugs and re-torque the suspension. I called an auto shop that specializes in Volvo and they charge $250 - $350 but do not change the plugs. It seems early to change plugs on a car with only 30K miles.
    Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,913
    check your owner's manual.

yes, it is early to change plugs. Dealer is trying to make extra money off you.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Unfortunately the manual does not provide details of what tasks should be performed for any service. I also requested a printout from two dealerships on what is performed for each maintenance interval but neither could provide that level of detail.
    Perfect --- Sorry I did not find this on the site before. Huge difference from the $750 Volvo wants to charge for the service.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    The dealer will undoubtedly recommend that some other stuff be done, and you may decide to do some of it.

But the service writer undoubtedly works on commission too. ;)
  • jeff618jeff618 Posts: 29
    I found aftermarket full wiper blades (rather than refills) for the Volvo XC90. I like to replace the entire wiper because of the abuse the ice and snow put the wiper frames through - I figure better safe than sorry. I went with Trico Tech Beam Blades. I've been a Trico NeoForm guy for a while, but I tried the new Techs because they have a new mounting system that allows the wiper arm to sit slightly lower than in the past. The Techs are beefy as hell and look great with the new, lower side mount. By the way - they came with complete removal and installation instructions - very easy. Got the whole set-up online.
  • I am thinking about buying a used Volvo cx90 but I reasd that it is among the worst cars to buy. Can someone shed some light on why it's a rotten car--because it looks great.
  • I, too, would like to replace the pollen filter (cabin filter?) but like you I don't know where to find it. Have you had any response to this inquiry on this board or anywhere else ?
    If you have the info..please pass it along. Any maintance we can do ourselves saves us big bucks.
    Thanks ! :)
  • jayzivjayziv Posts: 3
    How do I drain the window washer tank , I used windex instead of wiper fluid. I know
  • lspodlspod Posts: 4
    Hey -

Happily still have a XC90 - 2004 - 64,000 miles on it - realizing i will be keeping it a few more years

Trying to decide if I should buy an extended warranty for 3 yrs, 36k miles, to get me to 100k

Dealer in Atlanta quoted me full coverage at about $2300

Any suggestions out there from all you educated Volvo owners?!?!

thx mucho,
    lynn
  • okafornaokaforna Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used XC90 which is in top shape but the Audio System is dead even though the dealer said it was working well. Please could someone tell me where to check for the fault. I still presume its a minor one. Does the Audio System has fuse? in the box?
    I will appreciate you kind help.
  • dunningdunning Posts: 4
    YES! If you have a T6, I say you should definitely buy the warranty for $2300. We just bought an '03 T6 with only 56K mi. last month and already it is in the shop for the dreaded Transmission Service Urgent. I limped it a couple more miles to where it could be safely parked & easily towed, but it had only slipped a couple of times in the 25 or so miles between the first sign there might be a problem, to the last straw.

I am SO THANKFUL that I spent the extra $3500 for the warranty and added it onto my financing I could almost cry! I can't imagine what the out of pocket might be (car has been in the shop for 4 days which includes over the weekend) and I don't even know 'the damage' ($$$) yet.
    Good luck - I hope you make the right decision for yourself. I've never purchased a warranty (and I've had plenty of high mileage older cars than this) but I knew that should something happen, I didn't want to have to dig into my pocket to cover it!
  • My mechanic reckons they're not worth the paper they're written on. And I can tell you that I got nothing but disclaimers from my warranty company (Australian Vehicle Warranty Group) when my coolant hose popped off while cruising down the freeway, completely chernobyled my engine and cost me $10k for a complete new one. Warranty doesn't cover anything stemming from 'overheating'. Bastards.
  • blair21blair21 Posts: 1
    Do you still own this volvo? The exact same thing happened to us. Dealer said they would fix it and they can't. It can only be done by a Volvo tech. I figured this might be your car if you had sold it? They also claimed one owner, but I don't believe anything they say. They even tried to add on an extra 500 to their original sales price! I was also wondering what you did find out?

Thanks and good luck!
  • I do not still own it. I got rid of it but the dealer replaced the stereo before it was purchased at the cost of $800.00. I got rid of the xc90 and bought a brand new 10 chev traverse. So glad to be out of it and all the monie it use to cost me. Sad thing was it was an 03 with 49 thousand miles. I never drove anywhere near my money out of it.
  • Question I am hoping someone here can answer for us...
    We own a 2006 XC90; it's a Limited Edition Volvo Ocean Race. Recently we had minor repair work done to one of the side doors. The repair shop told us we would need to get a (ie., ONE) new VOR decal for the front outside part of the door. We questioned if it was even possible to replace it, since the decal did say 2005-06 on it. After being reassured that all would be just fine, we got the car returned, and lo and behold, we discovered that BOTH side decals were replaced (one charge of nearly $60... looks like they are sold in packs of 2 decals?). Problem is, these replacement decals are the ones used in the newer Ocean Race Edition. They now say "Around the World" on them, not "2005-06".
    While this may not seem like anything worth writing about, we are furious at the repair shop for not even telling us this part - and very curious what impact, if any, this modification will have on the value of our 2005-06 very well maintained VOR XC90. :confuse: Any info or advise would be most appreciated!
  • marshajomarshajo Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 and the dealership is telling me that I should have the timing belt replaced at a cost of $850. I have about 110,000 miles on it and they have said it should be replaced at 105,000. My question is, is it safe to go outside of the Volvo dealership to any other repair business to have the work done and probably save a great deal of money?
  • hcnursehcnurse Posts: 2
    Wondering if anyone is having this same problem....while driving my volvo starts jerking and then all of the electrical systems go out - all the interior dash light go off, signal lights, and hazards will not work. I get a message about brake failure and then SRS airbag service. Once you stop the car and restart it functions normally with just the SRS message remaining. It happened for the first time last year and the volvo dealership was unable to find anything wrong. It has now happened two more times with about 3 1/2 weeks in between these two recent episodes. It is currently at the service shop but so far they can't find anything wrong and cannot replicate the problem. Has this happened to anyone???
  • tj76798tj76798 Posts: 1
    We are having the same problem, and haven't been able to find anything wrong with it so far. Have you found out any new information since it's been in the shop?