Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Do I need to take the transmission out of my 1990 Isuzu Trooper?

rexshortrexshort Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in Isuzu
I recently bought a 1990 Isuzu Trooper for my first vehicle. I need to know about an oil leak I have on it tho, the guy that sold it to me said that he thought it was the rear main seal. The leak is right above the oil pan... Is this correct? If not what could it be, and how much could it cost to get it done.

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A rear main seal leak would be right where the engine meets the transmission--so at the bell housing. Unless the leak is rather ferocious, it's often not worth fixing it, as you generally do have to take the transmission out on modern cars and trucks. Some owners just wait until it's time for a new clutch (if it's a standard trans) and replace the seal at that time.

You might also have a leak from another area. Oil leaks spread and/or are often "blown" by the fan, so you might want to put it on a lift and look around.
  • Options
    jaypizzthebizzjaypizzthebizz Member Posts: 16
    The seals cost anywhere from three buks to eighty buks I think you should surely tke it apart ( tranny unmarried from engine ) and fix it it will allow you and your vehicle time to get to know one another its a real simple job once you get to the seal just make sure you ease in that seal slowly .and as evenly as possible making sure not to damge the surfaces of the new seal also save yourself some time and properly clean the cup area that the seal seats into this will make for a much truer seal increasing the chances of curing this stubborn oil leak good luck bro boy I remember my first bigger job I ever tackled on my first vehicle you may really enjoy the learning experience and you will definitely save yourself a lot of time and money .oh yeah when driving in the new seal rub a light coat of spit or some sort lubricating [non-permissible content removed] and use a socket turned upside down n try to be sure the socket is big enough to make contact w only the metal ring prtion of the seals surface so in other words a socket damn near the same size as the seal and just gently tap it in you will do just fine brah good luck let me know how it goes