Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,084
    Possibly the Acura RL. Maybe the GS300 AWD.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Also try E350 and E500 and their 4Matic variants, although they get pricy.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The E lacks most of the advanced features on the Japanese cars. The RL and GS300 AWD are the most direct competition to M35x as mark said, but neither can come close to the M35's speed and handling.
  • cfgrosscfgross Posts: 54
    Can anyone tell me if the rear seats fold down to open up the trunk space?
  • my45my45 Posts: 26
    rear seats fold down

No they do not fold down. There is a small passthrough door, but that is it.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,589
    Drove both today. I was surprised at the smoothness of the ride rather than overly stiff or jarring. The car tracks very well and corners beautifully with a tight turning radius. The aluminum inserts inside have a classy sporty look to them, in many ways looking more sophisticated and refined than the wood. Not sure if the wood which is matte, not shiny (i.e., with no clear acrylic covering) is treated to resist scratching and pitting. This along with the look of the wheels and other features make the sport pckg. not too unreasonable for an additional $1700. This is not to say that the non-sport is not fun to drive and a really nice offering.

Well, I took the plunge after my '01 LS430 sold this weekend, and put down a deposit on an M35 Sport with tech./journey pckgs.in umbria grey with stone leather. Due to arrive on the truck by the end of the week. I'll post my impressions and will follow others.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    numbers on either/both the M35 or M45 (or AWD)? Looking at the EPA figures, Infiniti does not seem to come off quite as well as some other manufacturers; however, as we all know, there are many factors involved here. I think that many of us would like to hear what folks are achieving on the street.
  • tjpylestjpyles Posts: 17
    I hope I don't sound condescending in any way as response to this question, but I really don't think I understand the concern here. I just purchased an M45 Sport (have been driving it less than a week so I don't have any good numbers yet). If you are concerned about gas mileage, the M is not the car for you. It does not get good mileage. But lets look at the math. Car buyer A buys a luxury car that gets 23 mpg. I buy my M that gets 18. If both drivers drive 15000 miles in one year and buy premium gas at 2 dollars a gallon, Driver A spends roughly $1300/year driving. Driving an M, I spend $1660. That is a diffence of $360 a YEAR on a car that someone is spending in excess of $50,000 to buy. Is this really a concern? OK, my tone really is not as harsh as it sounds. I do understand that many people are concerned about gas mileage as am I, and I will try to post some more exact figures once I have driven the car enough to have accurate numbers. However, I think everyone should do the math, surely you aren't worried about three to four hundred dollars over a year when you are considering dropping $50,000 for a luxury sports sedan.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    "The E lacks most of the advanced features on the Japanese cars."

What features are those?

Carnaught,

Do you still have an E-Class?

M
    Lets see, adaptive headlights, a 5.1 sound system with DVD-A (you can bet the Japanese will be first with SACD capability as well) support, Advanced voice recognition and bluetooth...
    Oh I thought you meant something major and the E does have adaptive headlights. The sound system stuff isn't a deal breaker you know German car sounds systems are lacking anyway..lol. The voice recognition and bluetooth are needed though, but honestly these aren't dealer breakers for many.

M
    The E's lights swivel when you turn a corner? Since when?
    Does the E even have an in-dash single feed cd changer? Or is it still using cartridge?
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 19
    Motor Trends March 2005 issue showed Motor Trend received 18.2 MPG on their tests - Also rated the M35 as their number 1 pick overall -Quote " smoked the competion in acceleration tests" - over the RL,Audi, BWI 530,STS,and Jaguar. In comparison for MPG the other vehicles were 19.2,18.0,19.2,17.5 and 19.1 . Good comparison article
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 19
    In all fairness I failed to mention on the MPG ratings - that although the STS shows the worst gas mileage at 17.5 - It is the only one of the vehicles which takes regular gas rather than Premium.
    Merc,

I replaced my E with an Acura TL (I still have my G35, however). Funny you should mention this as in one of your next posts (#961) you mention the lack of bluetooth on Mercedes. Since I have been putting on high mileage, I wanted to sell the MB when it was more marketable. I also "needed" bluetooth and Nav. and a Japanese car (TL in this case) gave me what I wanted. I must say that the resale and ownership experience of the E Mercedes was great and I will definitely buy another MB in the future. The Benz was rock solid and secure and fun to drive compared to the more hallow light feeling TL.

Not to digress further on this board, I am hoping the Infiniti M successfully is the marriage between the cushy smooth Japanese ride (i.e., Lexus) with the spirited road feel of a German car. My initial impression is that indeed it is.

(BTW, we've at times been adversarial in the past, but it's good to have you back on the "boards" :)
  • stebrostebro Posts: 21
    I drove the M45 sport and Lexus GL300 yesterday (dealer didn't have the GL430). I liked the M45 but the Lexus seemed more comfortable. On our short M45 drive, the suspension seemed too stiff and the bucket seats too hard. Do you get used to this on longer drives?

I plan to try the standard M45. From the Infinity brochure, it looks like the standard model has different seats. Does anyone know if this is correct?

One more question. I own two Mercedes. Have never owned an Infiniti. Mercedes is great about customer satisfaction, including warranty repairs and even out of warranty repairs. What has been your experience with Infiniti? Thanks!
    Yes, I believe the M sports have bolstered seats and definitely harder than a Lexus.

Owning my G35 even though being an early model it had issues (recalls, etc.), the dealer was very accomodating and at least as good as my Mercedes servicing experience. It does of course, as with any car brand, vary with the dealer.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Oh man. Try a GS 430. Coming from a BMW, I was impressed. Handled great!
    hpowders
    I'm looking forward to a comparo between the GS430 and the Infiniti M45.
    I know you guys think the E-Class is overpriced and what not but you gotta check the specs before you assume the worst...lol.

Yes Lexusguy the E-Class has adaptive headlights that swivel into corners, they've had them since 2004. This feature is included in the optional "Lighting Package"..."Active Curve Illumination". See mbusa.com. They had them in Europe in 2003.

The E-Class also has a single-feed, 6-disc CD changer in the center console. It resides under the wooden panel that contains the rear window sunshade, heated seats etc. buttons.

carnaught,

Glad to hear that. You really do trade cars often.

M
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    Frankly, you do sound condescending and arrogant, without reason. This is a fair question in today's context, regardless of the cost of the automobile, or one's ability to pay for the fuel. No worries. Enjoy your M45.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Reading doesn't help much. Take some time and go try these cars for yourself. I "read" that the GS430 brakes were difficult to stop the car smoothly. Funny, I had no trouble with the brakes when I tested the GS430.
    I think that really depends on the individual. I've driven an S80 and found the brake pedal on that car to be essentially an on\off switch, but its rediculous touchy ness isnt really mentioned in most write ups of the car.
    It's got the single feed CD huh... good stuff.

To be fair, the E does have some exclusive things, such as Drive Dynamic seats and Panorama sunroof.

I only say it's overpriced because the 20% premium really is the badge premium, and I personally don't care for that. For people that do put some value in the badge, it won't be overpriced.
  • based on carsdirect 07095 zip code, that's not bad for new car, about $3k off MSRP.
  • tjpylestjpyles Posts: 17
    Sorry Pearl, I really did not mean to sound like I was trying to put anyone in their place. I did mention that I understood that this is something people look at, and I will try to post real world figures in the future. I guess my point (which had very little to do with your original post) was that IMO gas mileage really is a small part of cost of ownership.
  • nofearsnofears Posts: 6
    I just purchased my M35 last Thursday night and took a 700 mile trip this weekend to Pismo Beach. I was breaking the engine in (keep in mind) the entire trip which means I was reving it up and backing it off the entire trip. Never taking it over 6k RPM. Sometimes up to 100 mhp, sometimes as low as 30mph during the trip. I averaged 23 mpg...YES 23 ! That was AWESOME ! I cannot say enough good things about this car. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. If you want any more of my impressions about this car please email me at escdreamer@hotmail.com for details about my M35. I am sooo happy I got out of my Suburban and into this car !
    Odd about that zip code. All the other zip codes I tried give me MSRP as the target price.
  • $1100 over cost for new Infinity..baloney..the writer made that up..the car just came out..the total markup averages $3500..less rent, insurance, commission..lights..etc..you do the math..the writer does not know what its all about..the price is not important...the car is...