Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Care and Maintenance

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
Share your care tips and maintenance schedules here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• I need to replace tires on my 00 TL.
    looking for all season that can handle rain and some snow since I live in N.Y.
    anyone have any suggestions?
  • eddiemaceddiemac Posts: 141
    Go to www.tirerack.com. Check out the sumitomo HTR+. They are $74 per tire. they will ship in 1 to two days. If you put in your zip code, they will give you a list of installers in your area AND you can have the tires shipped directly to them!
  • pg48477pg48477 Posts: 309
    I had bought HTR+ for my 2002 TLS, they not as good as people on tirerack say they are. Good volume for the money, but I think will wear them out in 15K.
  • dtudtu Posts: 3
    Best deal in town is from Costco at $145+20 for tax, install, life balancing & rotate.
  • dtudtu Posts: 3
    My 99 TL only has brake sputtering problem recently so I need a brake job very soon along with ALL the 60K Maintenance Programs. Can I do my brakes and replace fluid at Midas to save some $$ or should I do it at the dealer since ABS, auto system, etc. does its' checks?
    I just purchased 4 sumitomo's in august. What type of driving do you do(hard, regular, etc.) and what do I have to look forward to?
  • pg48477pg48477 Posts: 309
    I would say I drive hard. Make sure to keep tire pressure around 40 PSI, these tires are build for lighter cars.
    Thanks for the info.
  • I you haven't already replaced your tires, I would suggest a serious look at the Falken Ziex ZE 512. I recently replaced my 00 TL's Michelins with these and I love them. I think they handle better and are quieter than the MXV4s. They were also rated the #1 all-season performance tire by Consumer Reports (Nov.03). They are about $65 each from several online stores.
  • mrtechmrtech Posts: 18
    It will be a while but I like to know if most bring their Acura to independent garages/oil changers for regular oil change. Do they reset the computer? I think paying $35 for an oil change is too much if I can get it for less than $20 from a reputable outlet. My only concern is the computer reset.
  • Paying 30 + thousand for a car and squabling about a $35 oil change-MAN.

The cost of the oil change is not even a quarter of one percent of the car.

Fork out the dough and keep up the proper maintenance on the car.

No offence intended-just the right advice.
  • mobofemobofe Posts: 51
    you shouldn't be paying $35 for an oil change; any honda dealer can do that job for $20 and change - the 15 you save can get ya a real nice lunch; i have no acura dealer within 120 miles of my area and honda dealer has told me they can handle this reset.
  • Had my car washed the other day and when I asked them about Zaino, they mentioned they wax the car with Zymol. Is it basically the same thing?
    yessiree, they are completely diff. companies. That being said, I wax my car with collinite (collinite.com). Never tried the zainos but don't intend on switching as the collinite is the best carnuba i've ever used. Let's just say that the wax they produce is derived from heavy duty powerline applications ( those junction boxes you see sitting on your powerline pole - collinite is used to protect them from the elements). fyi, I use the 476 hardwax, my colleague swears by the liquid 845, though - easily for an old man to use :). Don't bother with getting the top of the line #915 Marqui D'elegance - it's just a marketing gimmick.
  • ben_1ben_1 Posts: 3
    Jiffy Lube recommends replacing the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) every 30k miles. I have heard though that newer transmissions have a higher performance ATF that isn't supposed to be replaced until 100k miles. Would my 2001 TL fall into that category? It's been over 50k miles with my current ATF/transmission.
  • Looks like I need new tires as my MXV4's are about done. I have six months left on my lease and want an affordable, more performance oriented tire. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    I bought Dunlop Sport A2 or something like that for my 2000 TL. They were great!
    These are great tires and priced right too. I have a set on my Accord. It is highly rated by Consumer Reports.
  • exb0exb0 Posts: 539
    Just flipped thought the whole manual for my 2004 TL and could not find the maintenance schedule. I have found the table with A, B and 1, 2, 3s, but there is nothing that tells me the intervals at which these items need to be done. No severe duty schedule, no normal schedule.

I did find info that says that the information display will tell me when the maintenance is required, and it will display a code. The code will tell the dealer what needs to be done.

I have two problems with this:

1. Am I supposed to trust the dealer to perform only the required items? I know that if I let my Honda dealer do what they think is appropriate my bill would be twice as high as when they do only what the manufacturer recommends. They tried to replace the platinum plugs every 30K in my 2000 Accord LX. Is there a list with all the codes and their meanings anywhere on the web?

2. How does the computer know when the oil and transmission fluid need to be changed. Does the computer analyze the quality of the oil and the fluid, or is strictly based on mileage? If it’s based on mileage, then it would be inappropriate intervals if my car idles half the time.

Are there any Acura techs on this forum?
  • I park in a garage that is not kind to bumpers. I had to put strips on my Accord, but would like something that looks a little less conspicuous when I get my new TL. I haven't seen any kind of dealer-installed bumper protection in the options available for the TL. Has anyone had these put on their car?
    What do you think looks uglier: bumper strips/bras or scratches and ding on the bumper? My feeling is that it's the former that is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH uglier. Bumpers are meant for bumping, not for wearing protective bras and strips.
  • mickedmicked Posts: 32
    Does the 04 TL really need premium fuel? I read more than once that cars get used to the type of fuel you put in them, and even if the manual says premium, you can get away with regular unless you get knocks and pings. The salesman said regular fuel will not give me optimal performance nor mileage. With the way cars today are made, which is true?

Thanks,

Eddie G
    "I read more than once that cars get used to the type of fuel you put in them"

Where did you see such a preposterous lie written??? A car is a mechanical device that cannot "adapt"! It's not a living organism.
    Yes, you have to use premimum fuel, if you want your car to perform properly and if you don't want to hear engine knocking.
    By "adapt" , I believe he means that the onboard computer will adjust the timing accordingly to avoid knock. Normally, it will cause the performance to suffer. The TL is not purely mechanical since it uses electronics to control the mechanical parts. There are several articles written about regular vs premium fuel usage. Go search the web.
  • I think if you do a lot of highway driving a half size bra will do a nice job of protecting your paint.

I personally dont like them-but just for paint protection I installed one on my wife's Accord.

Her previous car was laden with stone chips on the front bumper so by her request I installed one.

She drives approx. 35 miles each way to work on the I-95.

Tell you something-It does not look pimpy.
  • mobofe, cannot google you referenced collinite waxes. what is the correct URL?

thanks
    if you google that url, you wont' come up with anything.... cut out the .COM and search for collinite . btw, if you purchase directly from collinite, shipping is included in the price they quote. They are not too internet saavy so you'll still have to order over the phone. I can't recommend this wax highly enough - too bad i couldn't use it on my TL before this crappy winter weather set in.
  • mickedmicked Posts: 32
    I don't know if this is the right discussion group for this question...

When I turn on my headlights there is a really bright flash at the instant the lights go on. Is this normal?

Also, on the roof between the home link buttons and the interior light switch there are 2 little blue lights. What is the purpose of that?

Thanks,

Eddie G
  • HID's have this bright blue flash and that's normal- it's because they're so bright.

Two little blue lights are a "cool" look; they don't do anything to my knowledge. I believe they come from the microphones used for hands-free cell usage.
  • kahunahkahunah Posts: 448
    These lights are designed to create a subtle ambient lighting affect that reflects predominately off the center console and shifter. The microphone grills are located on either side of the blue light ports.