Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Care and Maintenance

Comments

• Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I got to try this Zaino, but I had them put on the dealer stuff. Should I put Zaino now or wait. ?
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    Hi, Nick:

If you're going to use the Zaino system, you'll want to start by washing with Dawn liquid to strip off all waxes/polishes. It won't hurt the paint/clearcoat. Zaino recommends applying directly to the car, not on top of other waxes/polishes. Check out their wesite, zainostore.com (or go to the Zaino thread under "Maintenance.").

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Whoa....I looked at the website and it cost $120 for a Zaino kit? Wow.

If you buy a la cart....what are the items you would purchase?

Also...I noticed they sell a logo shirt. Are you a proud owner of logo wear?
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    I bought a la cart, sans shirt (I'm not THAT addicted...yet?). I bought ZFX, Z2, Z5 and Z6. A coworker bought their carwash (Z7, I think) and he said it's great, too. Even so, it ain't cheap. But then again, neither was the TL!

The ZFX is a time saver (and time is money) to mix with Z2 which is the polish. Z6 is the "gloss enhancer" used for touchups, temporary quick shines and used under/between coats of Z2/Z5 to, well, enhance the gloss. Z5 is to remove swirl marks and cover up light scratches, it can be interchanged with Z2. But Z2 offers the best shine. If you're happy with the finish now (no swirls, light scratches) you don't need Z5. Probably don't need the Z6 enhancer either. You can try just ZFX and Z2. But with shippping/handling charge of ~$9 I wanted to order everything I thought I wanted at once. So, in my mind I was still being cheap while spending about 9 times more for car polish than I ever have!

But, the Abyss Blue TL looks great, mirror like glassy finish. Check out the zainostore.com website for more details, pictures and testimonials.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Z-6 is a must.
  • Options
    Thanks laurasdada! :D
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I don't think it's a question of right and wrong. Whatever you wash the car with is going to get dirty. Dirty water; dirty towels, dirty chamois, etc. This may be a little fanatical, but the last time I washed my car, before dunking my towel in the bucket, I rinsed it underwater so the loose dirt wouldn't get in the bucket.

Anyway, the dirt that gets wiped off could scratch the car if it's not removed. THat's why I wash my towels. You don't really wash a chamois, you rinse it off, so I'm not as confident that you get rid of all the dirt.
  • Options
    uvawahoouvawahoo Member Posts: 23
    Need some advice. I just went to the dealer for my free oil change, and they kindly let me know that my 40,000 mile Bridgestones are basically balled, and here's the kicker, I only have 19,000 miles. I guess I drive the car a little harder than I thought. Anyways, was looking for new All Season tires, but wanted less squeaking than I'm getting right now. Are the Michelin's above the best? They are at Costco for about 212, which so far is the best deal I've seen. Plus, I'm keeping the stock rims.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    check out my posting this weekend regarding the A/S in the 'Acura TL' board.
  • Options
    I keep my chamois clean by only allowing the chamois to touch only a clean car. Newly cleaned car = clean chamois. And I never let the chamois be anywhere near a dirty car. After drying a car....I rise the heck out of it by running a hose on it. Allowing it to air dry...and storing it in a clean plastic grocery bad. Anal me.
  • Options
    what do you use to touch the dirty parts? NO CRASS JOKES PLEASE!!! :blush:
  • Options
    qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    Hello.

Please dont shoot me if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

I have a 02 TL with Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires 205 60 R16 91V. They have done about 67000 KM over 4 years. The thread is down to about 6/32 - 4/32 and I do not want to take any chances in the Canadian snow conditions. I have looked at Tirerack.com and have visited local tire shops. All tell me that Bridgestone Turanza LS-V and LS-H are better tires, but the Michelins have a better ride. In some shops the Turanzas are the same price as well.

Are there any real-life experiences with the Turanzas in snow?.Personally, I very much like the Michelin's ride, but I was disappointed with tread life. My driving is mainly on highways so handling, while important, is not a big issue for me. Traction is.

Thanks
  • Options
    ok..I won't read anything into that question....

For the dirty parts (splash guards, lower parts of the car body, fender well) I use paper towels on the non-painted surfaces. All other surfaces should have already be cleaned as I have washed it with soap and the wiped it clean with the two soap mits (one for dirtier surfaces).

So basically...the drying function should be to dry. The wash function to clean.
  • Options
    OK. I think I misunderstood your initial question of why I use towels. I thought you meant "why do you use towels to wash your car," but I see you were asking why I use towels to dry it, as opposed to a chamois.

My reasons for that are as follows:

1. I have towels, I don't have a chamois;
    2. I can cover almost the whole front, or the whole roof or the whole tunk with 1 towel, which gets most fo the job done, whereas chamois are not that big. This makes towels faster;
    3. While chamois may have improved over the years, if they have not, then they leave a few droplets of water behind no matter what you do.

I bought a water blade, but haven't used it yet.
  • Options
    A week ago I noticed someone scatched my car. I think it must've been on purpose b/c it's a clear verticle line, and any accidental scrape would've had to be horizontal. Anyway, here's my plan - please comment if you have suggested alternatives:

I'm basically gonna wash the car with dawn to take off any wax, and then I'll apply some sort of color (I don't have a match yet, but I know Turtle-Wax makes some coloring products). For my Pearl Green TL, I think I may need to go with black, or maybe black with a little green.

ANyway, once that's dry, I'll polish the car and apply a new layer of wax.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I am sooo sorry to hear of that...best of luck.

Couldn't you go to the dealer and get some touch-up paint? Strip the wax then instead of apply the paint with the brush...get a toothpick and fill the scratch with little overapplication to the part not scratched. Let it cure for days....the waxed it to blend it in?

And....buy a chamois...a large chamois at Costco along with a hot dog.
  • Options
    Yes delmar is correct, go to the dealer from touch up paint. If were me, I would get the whole gar repainted LOL, I am that crazy about the car. Or just crazy :P
  • Options
    ceb90ceb90 Member Posts: 24
    What should I use to clean the nav screen and what kind of cloth too?
  • Options
    I've been fine using the lens-cleaning cloths that come with eyeglases. I don't use any sort of solution - just the cloth.
  • Options
    lb619lb619 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any suggestions on detailing light scratches on the interior silver metal trim? It seems to dent and scratch easy.
  • Options
    I have a black TL and I wanted to know what to use to wipe the dust off, after washing it? I had my car washed during the day, I went out that night then came home put my car cover on and the next day it was all dusty. Since I just had it washed I didn't want wash it again, even though the dust is pretty thick.
  • Options
    The dust you are seeing is coming from your car cover. Your car cover is creating static...and when you pull it off...any dust from the car cover is clinging to your car finish.

If you don't believe me...shake your car cover and you will see the dust fly.
  • Options
    So your saying i need to wash the car cover. The car cover i got from acura and it's 2 weeks old. Anybody have any advice of how to wash a car cover? Thank you.
  • Options
    Whoa...I wouldn't wash that car cover either...as it is has special cloth treatment to repel moisture and mildew. Wash it and it will be gone.

What I am saying is that it is an inherent issue with car covers...and riddle. And better yet....keep using it and you will get 'swirl' marks as the car cover 'buffs' your paint finish. Think of it...a cloth that gentle rubs against your car as the wind blows the cover around.

I used to have car covers....but I gave that up many years ago.
  • Options
    gandb77gandb77 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 Acura tl 3.2 that I purchased new. It now has about 85,000 miles and I have never had the engine touched except for oil/filter changes. Have had new tires and brakes though.
    I currently get 17 miles per gallon and am wondering if there is something I could have done to increase this mileage?
    I live in southeasterrn Pennslyvania and the terrain is somewhat hilly. Thanks
  • Options
    isdfuzzisdfuzz Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2005 TL. When we were driving it home I was driving infront of my wife who was driving the TL. I noticed that the right headlight appeared dimmer than the left. I carried it back to the dealer and they said the lights looked fine but they replaced the right side bulb anyway. It still looks either dimmer or out of alignment. Has anyone had this problem? I found the adjustment for the headlights but I can't tell what type of tool it takes. Please let me know.

Thanks
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    The left headlight is supposed to be aimed a bit lower than the right. This is so it doesn't blind oncoming dirvers. I know this was discussed before somewhere on these boards.

As for dimmer, they should be the same brightness. Perhaps it's the different angles you are seeing? :confuse:
  • Options
    The car cover did come with direction on how to wash the car cover. Now I'm wondering is it best to keep the car cover on or not. Someone told me that car cover take the wax off the car. Is this true?
  • Options
    ed31cincyed31cincy Member Posts: 56
    They replaced the bulb and they weren't even sure if that was the problem?? Wow, those Xenons are about $300+ a piece !!! Rather generous of Acura, wasn't it? :)
    I'll tell you this, drive a car with regular headlights after driving your '05 TL. Suddenly everything looks yellow and dim!
  • Options
    It is indeed true that car covers take the wax off. Wait until the car cover gets wet and you will see how the car is stripped of wax. I don't know the exact reason why...but I am guessing the friction along with the fabric treatment of the cloth is removing the wax along with leaving a residue on the car (scotchguard?).

(btw....if there is a chance of rain...I used to keep a dish tub in the back trunk. So when it did get wet...it gets thrown into the tub so the trunk mat doesn't get soaked).

Car covers do have their applications. But I have given up on car covers and spend the additional efforts to wash the car more often as well as waxing the car periodically...and keeping a metallic sun visor on the front dash.
  • Options
    dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I have a 2006 TL auto w/nav, Desert Mist. After a highway trip to from Tucson to Phoenix I notice my first paint chip on the front right fender, just behind the headlamp :mad: . I'd like to prevent more chips - does anyone have any experience with Clearmask? Or a similar product? Any other thoughts? I love my car and want to keep it looking great - I've already given it the full Zaino treatment.
  • Options
    bplayerbplayer Member Posts: 56
    Do a search for Clear Bra. Popular brands are 3M and Lumar. The cost will vary depending on how much of the car is covered. Basic cover for font hood and fenders will be about $200 and this can go up to over $1,000 for bumpers, wing mirrors, rocker panels, etc.

I chose the basic, and am prepared to repaint the bumper in 3 or 4 years depending on the amount of chips and any scrapes or dings.
  • Options
    telco59telco59 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know how to install the large and small cargo nets that come with the 2005 TL? I know there are different configurations. Even the service guy at my dealership didn't know how to do it. I can't find this info anywhere on the internet.
  • Options
    tlgaltlgal Member Posts: 22
  • Options
    Hi Gang

Still researching...

I plan on keeping the standard rims and wheels ('06). As far as the wheel locks go, they appear to be chrome and the standard rims are more of a brushed look right? I was thinking I'd only need the locks if I changed to the chrome rims as they wouldn't match, right? Please advise.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I would go with installing the wheel locks....as if you lose a rim and tire you are looking at some serious dollars. No matter how well of an area you are parking...you never know. As for the wheel locks being chrome and rims brushed...the key is that your other lug nuts should be chrome also. Further...the lugs are recessed...so it blends in well.
  • Options
    Thanks Delmar! You're always so helpful! :shades:
  • Options
    Hi All You TL Owners!

I'm leaning away from getting the splash guards. I'm going with the White Diamond Pearl and think the black spash guards stand out a bit too much. Are they really worth it? I currently have a white civic and I haven't really had problems with chips and scratches.

Any input is appreciated!
  • Options
    the configuration is not somehting I can really explain well, but the preferred config is in the owner's manual.
  • Options
    elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    I agree with delmar too.
    I'm planning on wheel locks. If not with pro pack, on my own.

I had a 95 Integra (purchased new) for a year or two when someone tried to steal the wheels at 2am. They would have gotten them too except the car next to mine had it's alarm go off (they bumped it?). When I had it looked at to make sure everything was okay, the dealer told me they put wheel locks on all their cars while in their lot to avoid such. Mine didn't have them since they had to get it from another dealer and I got it before anyone thought to do that. Almost cost me quite a pretty penny.

Gotta protect the wheels. Don't learn the hard way like I almost did :P :shades:
  • Options
    E4P

You (and Delmar) have convinced me! Thanks for sharing your experience...wheel locks are now on my "must have" list :)
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I park in a garage that leaks rusty water (picked up from the re-bar I would guess). This has left spots on my car that do not come out when washed in a car wash or even by hand.

I mentioned this to my apartment manager (I wanted him to pay for a detailing) and he told me Fantastik brand cleaner would do the trick. Will this damage my clear coat?

He also told me NOT to use Fantastik on German cars as their clear coat and paint are softer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    nosmonosmo Member Posts: 3
    My side view mirror has two scratches on it :mad: , but when I rub my finger over it, I can't feel anything.

I am thinking I an rub or polish it out, but I am unsure as to what to use.

The side mirror is plastic--color is Anthracite Grey.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nosmo
  • Options
    I had my car detailed couple of days ago by a friends shop which they waxed and clayed it. I have a black TL 05 which I bought 2 months ago, so when I got the car back it late in the afternoon so I could not notice anything. But once I saw it in the sunlight I started to notice little scratch marks all over the car. Also had my interior done and I'm noticing little fade marks on the back seat. Anything I can get to fix these problems.
  • Options
    bquadagnobquadagno Member Posts: 4
    Hi All!
    Have 05 TL,,,, just got it.... It weas raining here ( New England) and forget about it... can't open the Drivers window without water getting on everything... Does anyone have the Vent visors for theit TL..
    Bob
  • Options
    Hi Bplayer (and anyone else with an opinion or insight)

:P I've been researching the clear bra. I got some prices and have been doing internet searches as well. I still have a couple of questions.

I've got a bad back and tend not to handwash my car, I take my cars to the car wash. My carwash manager states that several of his customers have the clear bra and he has had no complaints about peeling, scratching, etc. Do you have any comments?

On a FAQs sheet it states that sometimes the film appears dull, especially compared to paint that has just been waxed. What's your take?

Also, I have the white diamond pearl body color and was wondering how the white looks with the mask on. Any experience?

Thanks to all for your help.

Still loving my TL! :blush:
  • Options
    dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I was checking into getting the clear bra too but I still haven't decided. One thing I noticed, and I've seen noted on one of the other forums, is that a fine line of dirt sticks to the edge of the bra material. I saw it on a white car and it was very noticeable. I don't know if that's an installation error that can be prevented by a more experienced technician or if it's an inherent problem with the adhesive bra material. I have an '06 in Desert Mist and when I saw the bra on the white car I decided against it, though I may check around again. Let us know what you decide! :confuse:
  • Options
    davidcwdavidcw Member Posts: 11
    I just got my '06 TL and I can not figure out the net configuration either. I checked the owner's manual and it is not explained. Has anyone seen any good literature on this topic?
  • Options
    bplayerbplayer Member Posts: 56
    I found this picture on another forum. It features the side net, but you can also see the placement of the full net. I usually have the full net attached closer to the trunk opening rather than midway into the trunk. There are many variations possible.

The full net is configured like a V that spans the width of the trunk. You can place small bags in the V or use it to separate items in the two sections of the trunk.

The objective of the side net is to partition off the area (the square part of the net). The other portion forms a shallow net that would hold a softball.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/pf0b2d5e065a7dc303814c099a2869c73/fa- 78b510.jpg
  • Options
    I hook up my net as indicated in the owners manual, and have found it to be very useful. I don't know how to attach the page, even though I was able to scan it onto my desktop, but it's on page 173 (of my '04 manual).