Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I just got home from Acura dealer - strange that the TSX has a built in I-pod connection - but the TL does not.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Posts: 74
    My '06 TL is about 3 weeks old. Cranked up the XM today full blast and it seemed that both door panels on the front doors seemed to vibrate. Is this an issue most of had and is it simply taking to the dealership and having extra insualtion put in? Thanks
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    Do you own a TL? Anyhow, I bought my 05' TL w/nav in jan 05'and still cannot shake the vibration issue. Numerous trips to dealer, balancing, rotating the tires, etc. didn't help. Changing to snows seemed to lessen the vibration (that shouldn't be a fix). I have 5 easy monthly payments to go and I will be unloading this car to some unfortunate soul. Absolutely love our 04' MDX and would consider buying the 07' model when it comes out in the fall. No more TL's, sorry.
  • I had the same problem and i am taking it to dealer next week to fix this along with couple of other issues. My car is just two months old :(. Will keep you posted
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Posts: 170
    The speakers are in the doors.....am I missing something in your question? That's like saying the AC is cold.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Posts: 74
    I have owned several cars and all have speakers in the doors. The difference being with the others when you turned up the volume the door panels did not vibrate. They were designed to handle loud volume. The TL's vibrated when the stereo was turned up (at least they appeared and sounded like they did. Could have just been the speakers but when I pushed on the door the vibration stopped.) I don't consider this to be normal on a $30k+ car. Maybe a $10k Suzuki but they might not even come with a radio. :)
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    If you understand how a speaker works, you can understand how the vibration occurs, but the car should be built in a fashion that can handle this without the passengers hearing any vibrational noise... especially in the ELS system that Acura boasts so much about.

It's a flaw that should be fixed.

The MDX door panels do not vibrate, but there is a 10" sub in the rear passenger corner. The outside fender vibrates like crazy when the stereo is up to a moderate volume and sounds like crap on the outside of the car.
    Personally, I'm not impressed with Acura's sound systems.
  • janberjanber Posts: 4
    My 2006 TL began rattling at about 1200 miles. The front passenger door rattle stopped if the armrest was pushed on. Both front doors have speaker vibration just as you described. There was also a rattle in the back passenger side deck lid. The dealer has been working on all of them. They finally replace the entire door panel on the passenger door and that stopped the rattle. They thought they fixed the deck issue, but it started again. They said Acura knows about that issue, it has to do with the seat belt latch back there. They are now replacing that seat belt latch. They also are putting more felt insulation into both front doors to try stop the speaker vibration. I made the same point to them - dont brag about your sound system if the car cant handle loud volume. They acknowledged there have been some issues with that. Even though this has been a big hassle I did not expect from a $30K+ car, I have to say the service dept has been extremely responsive. Will let you know if the extra door insulation works. I should have the car back the first of next week.
  • bryncerddbryncerdd Posts: 29
    Two weeks ago I took delivery on a 2006 TL w/navigation. I am hoping this auto will serve us as well as an earlier Acura, which we drove for 132K with excellent service and reliability. One niggling problem, which may be a "gremlin" common to new cars. The warning light in the top-center of the dash saying the passgner SRS system is OFF come on every time the car is started, and remains lit for several seconds, saying, to me at least, that the air bag for the passgner's seat is not active. I know and understand that it is set up to be deactivated when a child, or any other light object, is placed in the seat. But this warning light comes on with or without an adult in the passgner seat. I have been advised that the sensor reponds to seat position as well as to weight, but experimenting with the seat location has no effect. I will take this back to the dealer in a week or so, but in the meantime, has anybody experienced the same/similar problem? Other than this, the car seems to be faultless, and a great value for the money.

Bryncerdd
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,704
    Without looking at the Owner's Manual, I believe that the Passenger SRS light action you're seeing is normal. I'm sure it's a POST (Power On Self Test) to show that it is functional (i.e the light is not burned out).

To be sure, check your manual.

No door rattles that I'm aware of in my '05. Except, of course, for the detritus I throw in the door bins... :D

Windshield is fine, no "harmonic vibraton," "faded" dash was cured with a cleaning by the dealer. leather is okey-dokey and Bridgestone Turanza tires still stink in the snow.

Great car. Great looking car! For those who are trying to justify a TL over a loaded Accord, just look at 'em both! The TLs looks are worth the premium alone!

I'm so superficial... :shades:

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    From my reading of the owners manual (I've only had my 06 TL for 4 days) it sounds like normal ops. The passenger air bag light is supposed to come on momentarily at each start up and then goes out unless the system senses an "occupant" weighing less than 60 pounds (I think that is the weight). If there is no one in the seat or your 180 pound teenager is in the seat the light stays out. With no one in the seat the airbag is deactivated (light out) with the teenager in the seat the airbag is activated (but the light is still out).
    I have been been looking for a car for my wife - have looked at many cars - we decided the TL was the one - but decided to give the problem & solutions board a good read before I sign on the dotted line.

The vibration defect really bothers me - I have had a similar experience with the last car we purchased (a Mazda3).

Even though the Mazda had (has) OBVIOUS problems I would get can't duplicate or operating as designed. Very crummy way to treat a customer.

I somehow expected Acura to be better than Mazda in the customer service department - but it seems like they read from the same play book.

I can't help but notice your constant posts about how great the TL is - the "my father, brother ,neighbor and I all truly enjoy ours" really sticks out - after reading it dozens of times!

Not trying to single you out - anyone with a non-vibrating TL can also respond.

But wouldn't your opinion completely change if you / your father, brother & neighbor all had the vibrating problem - and Acura told you all - sorry its just the way it is - live with it?

It seems like I see this same thing on every problem board - someone always says - its only a few cars that have "the problem" - mine is fine - this car is great!

I always measure customer service by what happens AFTER the customer has a problem - not by what happens if the customer does not have a problem. It sounds like Acura is falling short of what I would consider good customer service.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    The only "vibrating" I get is from the tires flat-spotting early in the morning. Usually goes away in a minute or two of driving.
    Not the cars fault it vibrates- it's the tires fault ;)

I bought my car in South Florida and their service dept is top notch. I try to have my TL serviced their everytime I visit South Florida.
    However, my local dealer's service dept is not as stellar (Tampa). I have to wait a while before being talked to and the service advisor (one in particular) acts like his %^$%^ don't stink.

I do agree that Acura must raise the bar in customer service if they want to be considered the "luxury division" of Honda like Lexus is to Toyota.

Before ruling out the TL for a "vibration" issue- drive it and see for yourself.

I will admit that my TL does have the "faded dash" but with a little Lexol protectant- it looks great.
    Ultimately, if this is MY main issue with the car as opposed to engine & tranny problems then I am content.

-non vibrating TL owner ;)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I have an '04 TL. I have had NO vibration issue, tire flat-spotting, faded dash, tranny problem, nor cracked leather seats, etc.

I do have minor and intermittent rattles, squeaks. One annoying one from the glove box door I fixed by padding it with felt strips.

My Acura service department has been great. I have never thought highly of Honda corporate, but I don't really care about that because I believe the dealer is the more important customer interface. Find a good dealer and you'd be fine 95% of the time.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Posts: 134
    I have a non-vibrating TL, my TL is a rattling one. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 04 TL, and I have 56k on it. I have used 2 different Acura dealers. I think It all has to do will the service writer you get. I have had GREAT experiences and VERY BAD experiences at both dealerships. I now know which service writers to avoid. There was one time that I was not happy with the how I was being treated at the service department so I went to the general manager. After that I got treated like gold. The general manager let me use his own demo for a loaner. I think for the most part the dealer tries to make its customers happy.
    Hi, Z71bill:

I can't argue with your experiences or opinions. It is truly a shame that you are not pleased with your TL or the service you have received. That would be true for any car/any service.

I simply honestly post my experiences which mirror some other's experiences (to me, seemingly the majority) and contrast others'. So, yes, my opinion would certainly change if I had issues that truly made the car unenjoyable. Or if I actually knew of someone with a TL with such issues. I've posted that I have had the "faded" dash, now resolved. And one rattle which it took two trips to the dealer to fix. But, in 18 months and almost 18,000 miles (I gotta take more road trips!), that's it. I'd say I've had decent experience with the dealer. And, all the TL owner's that I know are satisfied. That doesn't mean that 100% of the population will have the same experience I've had, nor that 100% will have the experience that you've had.

So, my postings are from my experiences and those of TL owner's I know and they have all been very positive (as of this writing, at least!).

Good luck, I hope that you can find satisfaction with your TL and find a decent service department!

Thanks for the response(s) -

BTW I do not own a TL - we (wife & I) are still trying to decide. Honestly the main problem is we have too much time - don't need the car until August - so we can afford to be picky - guess I need a deadline.

I am more sensitive to car problems since my horrible experience with Mazda - I do not want a repete - one nightmare car at a time is enough.

The thing that really stuck out - it sounds like the Acura owners who have the vibration are being told the exact same things as the Mazda3 owners - which is very frustrating if you really do have a problem.

Just got home from testing the (gasp) Camry - a car that I said I would never even consider (test drove one a few years ago - bla) but it was nice - the SE V6 rides pretty good - nice solid feel - corners great - the engine is strong - not as good - overall - as the TL - but like so many Toyota cars - it does everything well - but no great. The tranny problem is a concern - but strange as it may sound - I would rather have a complete tranny failure VS some a vibrating car - at least then it would get fixed.

But can't find the color combo we want.
  • bdemarrbdemarr Posts: 25
    I have an '04 TL, and am very happy with it. Unfortunately, rattles and squeaks drive me nuts. My wife thinks I am crazy. I have had this on and off rattle up by the 2 spot lights near the moonroof. It seems to come from the light lenses, but when I press on them sometimes it stops and other times it doesn't. I am just curious if anyone else has had this problem and what the remedy might be...Thanks
  • dap2006dap2006 Posts: 68
    I have an '06 TL with approx. 6K on it - I haven't had a vibration problem.

I can't help but wonder if some (not all!) of the people who experience the vibration problem are hyper-sensitive. I was in the Air Force for a number of years and I can't tell you how many times one pilot would have a problem or notice something strange and then suddenly ALL the pilots would start thinking they experienced the same thing - it's human nature. The other "problems" rarely panned out.

I've had a couple of minor rattles (yes, I'm sure :P ) but nothing else worth mentioning. I don't get the gas mileage I'd like around the city but I have a tendancy to punch it from time to time :blush: so I can't complain - it's worth the fun. I think it's an incredible car and you can't go wrong getting one.

I've always loved Honda products. As a matter of fact I've ordered a Honda Fit for my work commute - it should be here any day. More fun!! :shades:
    Does it happen with the sun shade in the open and closed positions?
    Yes, it doesn't seem to matter which postion the sunshade is in. I generally don't have the sunshade (visor) in the open position (down)...do you think it is coming from that?
    It sounds a little similar to my rattle. I thought it was the overhead console, but it only happened when the sunroof was in the vent position. It was fixed (with the second visit after I was told it was fixed. In fact, whatever the dealer did the first time made it worse!) when they replaced the sunroof wind deflector. No rattle since.

Sorry if I misread your original post a bit, but my sentiment still applies.

If you're concerned about the vibration, might I suggest test driving as many TLs as possible for as long as possible. Also, do you personally know any TL drivers? Ask them about if they've got Good Vibrations...

If this "harmonic vibration" is so obvious and bothersome (and I honestly don't doubt it exists in some TLs) I really wonder why these folks bought the TL. Didn't they take a decent test drive or two?

All the cars I was considering went on similar test drives on highways and byways. I was interested in relative quiet, power and handling amongst other traits. My test drives led me to appreciate the G35's power and handling, but I found the ride a bit too "sporty" (read I felt every imperfection in the road). Also the G had a bit too much wind/road noise for my desire. The TL, while not Lexus like quiet, had a better ride/handling/nvh quotient to me. Not to mention (as I often do) that it is just plain prettier than the G both inside and out!

Anywho, don't rely totally on these boards. Talk to the man/woman who drives one and use the seat of your pants to help decide...

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I thought bhelsdon was referring to the moonroof interior sunshade, not the 2 sun visors. And the moonroof sunshade does make a squeaky noise when it is open. (I'm not sure I would go as far as call it a rattle). Unfortunately, I think the sun visors also make a rattly noise when in the down position.
    Yes, Thank you, I realized that after his reply. I still think this is coming from the 2 spot light lenses, as it is more of a rattle than a squeak.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    "The tranny problem is a concern - but strange as it may sound - I would rather have a complete tranny failure VS some a vibrating car - at least then it would get fixed."

In all honesty, your likelihood of buying/leasing a Camry with a tranny problem is the same as getting a "vibrating" TL.

Like laurasdada previously suggested, go drive some TL's and see for yourself and/or talk to other TL owners in real life and ask them. Don't rely what on you read in a "problems & solutions" forum Toyota or Acura for that matter. ;)
    You are right, I was referring to the moonroof shade. I fixed that noise by putting spray silicone in the tracks and making the little hook shaped stopper at the front of the shade fit tighter when it's closed. I fixed the vanity mirror rattle by putting felt stickers on the inside corners of the cover. The felt stickers I am referring to are the little things you find on your kitchen cabinet doors. They keep the wood from banging together. These work great because they come in different sizes, colors, and their sticky on one side.
    I basically agree with most of the posts - test drive it - don't rely on the problems & solution board -

Maybe my question should be directed to the ones with a vibrating TL - if you did not notice it on the test drive how long until it did show up?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    Thank you...I totally agree!

I find it odd that all his friends and relatives have the TL and have no Problems...at all?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    It showed up about a month later when i was driving down the shore on a smooth road in heavy traffic doing about 50 to 55 mph and the car kept vibrating.

The tranny vibration is like a broken tooth. Once you find it, you keep focusing on it.

I reported it to my dealer who said it was normal. Two years later they came out with a TSB....in an effort to fix it.

So much for credibility