Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tldantldan Posts: 3
    Where would i be able to find this TSB? I've read other forums about how people hear rattling when their window is down and they close the door. I have this problem also. BUT this is not my biggest concern. When my windows are partially open, my windows rattle while im driving every time i hit a bump ( small or big), uneven surfaces, etc..I drive in NYC so the road conditions arent exactly superb.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    If you go to acurazine.com and look in the forums for third generation TL you will find it there.
  • Hey Everyone need some help is there a website or something on line to see if your 2003 Acura TL Type-S could possible be one of the vehicles effected by the 2nd gear transmission problem? Im about to buy it has 31,300 miles on it but i want to check somewhere to see if this vehicle was effected or not.
  • According to www.handsfreelink.com, the new Motorola Krzr (k1m) phone does not support call waiting. Really? I consider this to be a basic feature. Other phones support it, why not this one? Or does the website have it wrong?

As it is I am in need of a new phone and that and the Razr are at the top of my list. I like the Krzr more because it's not a wide as the Razr.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
    Mark "Stingray2019" Santora
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    There were a bunch a posts at one point about the outside temp gauge going out and only showing "---".

I did a search but couldn't come up with any posts about what causes it, or if there is a permanent fix. Does anyone recall any information about that? Does it result in the battery-drain problem that some owners have experienced?
    bodble2,

There is a TSB for this issue. Check on edmunds or acurazine for the fix. ;)
    Thanks for the heads-up! :)
    Well, I found a Service Bulletin (thru Acurazine.com) which says that the problem is caused by the Nav unit drawing power even after the car's been shut off. And the fix is to install a subcontrol unit behind the Nav, which means pulling the Nav off the dash to get in behind the unit. :sick: Anything to do with taking the dash apart makes me a bit queasy. :cry:

The Bulletin was actually for the '05 TL. I have an '04, but I called my dealer, and they said they have done a repair for an '04, so I made an appointment to bring it in. They have to do a diagnostic, then order the part. So it will be a 2-visit repair. :sick: I guess there is no simple reset procedure, unless someone else has had a different experience with this problem.

And, even if the outside temp display is not important to you, you can't ignore the problem because there is the possibility that the battery will drain and go dead, if the car is parked long enough. :(
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    EACH Keyless Transmitter on the 05TL has its OWN radio presets!! You must program the presets for each, or disable one transmitter if you use both. It's best to program both because if you disable one transmitter it also disables all the other features controlled by that transmitter (eg. seat & mirror positions). Here is the info I found in an Acura Service Bulletin, which info is NOT in the owner's manual (O/M)!!

"RADIO STATION PRESETS
    CHANGE BY THEMSELVES"
    "When you unlock the doors with a linked keyless
    remote on a ’05 TL, the Driver’s Position Memory
    System (DPMS) recalls the radio station presets
    associated with that remote (Driver 1 or Driver 2).
    This ’05 model feature isn’t mentioned in the O/M,
    so you might get clients complaining of the radio
    station presets changing for no apparent reason if
    they’re using a different linked keyless remote
    from the one they would normally use (Driver 1 is
    using Driver 2’s remote or vice versa).
    To disable this feature, unlink the keyless remote
    by pressing and holding the LOCK and UNLOCK
    buttons at the same time until the LED blinks
    twice. To enable it again, link the keyless remote
    by pressing and holding the LOCK and UNLOCK
    buttons at the same time until the LED blinks
    once."
    Not sure if my rear defrost is dead, but it seems to be working awfully slow. Could it be as simple as a blown fuse?
  • I have a 2006 tl puchased in July and am having the same issue with the rear defrost. I have 13 mile commute and the Rear window has not been defrosted by the time I am at work. That seems odd to me. It works somewhat but definately very slow. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
    I've had my car for 2 1/2 years, but until recently I have not noticed it not working properly. Did you notice if yours has had this problem from day 1?
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    I read about a rear window defrost problem with some 05TLs with navigation units. I don't know if it applies to other years. Here is the link to the bulletin.
    http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1339999&postcount=37
    Yup, you beat me to the punch. I had just gone back and re-read the same Service Bulletin. Now I know my rear defrost is dead, and is related to my outside temp display going blank. I would bet that TLs in other years are also affected, since it's the same Nav unit. The problem probably came to light in the '05 model year. But there were many posts from owners quite early on about their TLs mysteriously getting dead batteries, or outside temp display going blank.

mleventh: does your TL show any of the other symptoms? You should get the defrost checked out. You may have the same problem related to the Navigation unit.
    Is it safe to jump start the TL? I've heard it's a no no on the newer cars, due to the amount of electronic component onboard. But I still see AAA do it all the time. So, is that an urban myth?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I had my 99 TL jump started by some guy in a tow truck who answered all of my questions with four words or fewer in a voice that was hardly audible. He used one of those thingies, not another car, though. Would that matter?

Anyway, no harm done. New battery purchased. :blush:

What annoyed me was that I had no warning whatsoever. Everything in the car worked except suddenly it wouldn't start and it hadn't even hinted at that previously. It was the dead of winter and the battery was a little over 5 years old, so it was time, but it would have been nice if the danged car had said hey, I need something here!!

Fortunately this happened at home and I was not stranded somewhere. :D
    "He used one of those thingies,"

You mean a powerpack? I heard all the AAA, or CAA tow trucks carry those.

In my case, I can't claim I had no warning, I'm ashamed to admit. I had the outside temp display go blank, then the rear defrost go dead. I had even pulled the Acura Service Bulletin off the internet which described all those symptoms as caused by the navigation unit draining the battery, and warned that battery failure could also occur. I guess I was too smug to heed the warning. What I should have realized was that my battery hadn't died because I was using the car daily. But lo and behold, I didn't use the car on the weekend for 2 days straight. I walked into the garage this morning, noticed the alarm LED was no longer flashing, and the car wouldn't unlock using the remote, and realized I was in trouble! :sick: So, I guess my punishment for being too smug is having to push the car out of the garage and call for a CAA visit tomorrow morning. :cry:
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    I think a volt/amp meter should have come with the car so that we can better monitor the juice in the battery. How expensive can the meter be? I think it would cost no more than $20. For a $35k car, it is well worth it, and it takes away the guess work and the need to interpret obscure warnings. I don't have AAA (yet), but I think a battery jump is covered by Acura's roadside asst. program (for 4 years?) BTW, is our battery maintenance free? Do I have to add distilled water now and then? Sorry for asking and not reading the owner's manual (my TL is only a couple of months old).
    As far as I know, the battery is maintenance-free. And you're right, I'm covered under Acura Roadside for a battery jump, but my experience is that they sub out the service to a tow truck operator anyway. And my dealer said nothing wrong with using AAA/CAA. He said those guys are qualified mechanics.
    When you open the hood, near the front corners are two holes, labelled with a half-circle double-pointed arrow, "up" on one end, and "down" at the other. I'm pretty certain those are for adjusting the headlights up or down. However, I couldn't find any reference in the Manual (unless I somehow missed it) that tells you what type of screwdriver to use, and/or how much to crank it in either direction. Does anyone know where the information is?
  • This is unrelated, but I have an 04 TL and got a woppin' 24 months off of my battery, and then DEAD. The norm with previous Honda's I have had is 36 months. Unfortunately I was not near a dealer (of course) and put an after market battery in it. However, it is 3 years covered for 100% and pro-rated after that...not bad for $70...
  • The Nav seems fine but when I have it serviced I will have them check that out. Thank you very much. I would of never thought that the two could be connected. mleventh
    The Nav unit itself will continue to work fine. But apparently it creates a parasitic power draw which results in the other symptoms, and eventually to a dead battery, which was what happened to me. :cry: Check out the Service Bulletin in the link posted by camon in post #4436.
  • I too have continual squeeks in my dash. They drive me absolutely crazy! I only have 2000 miles on my car and I've had it in twice already to fix and plan on taking it in again. It'll be fine once I pick it up and I'll love my car again, then about a week later it starts again. They tell me that they just put cloth on the contact points to fix it.
  • I have an 04 TL with 75,000 ks on it. When I got it, I had squeaks from the right hand side of the dash. The dealer disassembled the glove box several times and it didn't help. But at around 10,000 ks, it just went away and the car is tighter now than when it was new. Go figure...
  • I am considering buying a 03 TL with 44k miles. When I looked up consumers reports I was surprised to see the transmission rated as dark black circle (the worst possible rating). Then I discovered a trans related recall. Here is what I read at one place:

2003 ACURA 3.2TL POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Recall Date: 04/15/2004

Summary:
    ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.

Consequence:
    GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
    ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Potential Units Affected: 1099796

Notes: ACURA 3.2TL P30/P31

What has your experience been with this problem and the recall? Has the recall taken care of the problem, and has Acura been forthcoming in fixing this problem?
  • A colleague of mine has an 01 and had the transmission replaced at about 110ks, under the recall and he also had an extended warranty. He was very pleased with how Acura Canada dealt with him and that was one of the reasons I bought my first Acura in 04.
  • Hi all,

I plan on trading in my 1999 TL in about 6 months (5,000 miles or so). Would you even get the 60,000 mile service done other than the basics? I hope that doesn't sound bad but all my friends recommend not even doing it. Dealers don't check service records, you won't get your $$ back, etc. is what they say. Any thoughts??

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Mark

PS I've been quoted $450-$700 for the service by dealers here in Phoenix. If I should do it, are there any other recommendations out there?
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Change the oil - forget the rest -

What exactly do you get for $700 these days anyway?

When you trade the car in they will pull the dipstick and see how clean the oil is - that's about it.
    I would not waste $$ on doing anything. The dealer will not reimburse you for your out of pocket and will not increase the value of your trade in a significant way.

If you are compelled to do something, I suggest doing the oil- and that's it.