Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Maintence reminder came on for my 2005 Acura TL. Have 25,000 miles on the car and the B2 service is due. I call the dealership and ask how much.

$445!!! I asked what it includes...they basically said an oil change, tire rotation and a lot of checking of hoses, wires, etc. I'm sorry but I will not spend that kind of money on a car with 25,000 miles on it for std maintenance. It's absurd. I'm going to get just an oil and filter change and leave it at that.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    You're right- $445 is too much for an oil change and tire rotation (along w/a bunch of inspections).

In reality, for the B2 service, you should do (per the manual):
    oil & filter change
    tire rotation
    replace air filter
    replace cabin filter

This should cost around $200-250.

You can change the air filter and cabin filter yourself and save some $$. I would recommend doing the 3 x drain & fill for the tranny fluid.
  • The Acura scheduled maintenence prices are a little high. But I've found that you can "whittle down" some of the services to make the bill more reasonable. Had my '04 MDX in for the 50k check. It included:
    Tranny fluid replace (VTM4)
    Brake fluid flush (I highly recommend this)
    Oil change
    air filter
    cabin filter ($80)
    all other fluids topped off
    "inspection"
    tire rotation
    wash
    All for about $580. Not bad considering it was the 1st time it was in the shop.
  • You should stay away from the new car dealer.

I have a 2006 TL. I bought a cabin filter for 13.95 and an air filter for 42.95, both on-line at Auto Warehouse. Changed both myself ( extremely simple to do ). Took car to my mechanic (recommended by AAA) who changed oil, rotated tires, Brake flush, Trans fluid replace, for $145.

Total cost: $202
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    I live 120 miles from my Acura dealer. He wanted $160-$200 for the 15,000 mile service. Ok. So I took my car over to the local Honda dealer and asked how much for the service listed in the manual (minus oil change & tire rotation which I had done earlier).

$25!

Honda mechanics are familiar with the Acura engine; it's a variation on the Accord V-6 engine.
  • when ur replacing your tires on any vechile ur suppose to change them in pairs of 2.because thats whats causes the pull when u do odd number changes
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    Thanks so much for the information. What is involved in the 15000 mile check up? I have 13K on my car. I'm going to try the local Honda dealer too.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Check the instruction manual. Take it to the Honda dealer & ask the price of just those items.
  • I never go to the Acura dealer. I take it to the local Honda dealership for service and I figure if I need warrenty service, it will fly being a Honda dealer.
    By the way, I go over the book everytime I go in and he says on many items "That doesn't need done. It is a waste of money".
  • oc2020oc2020 Posts: 14
    I just purchased a new 07 Tl with Navi one month ago.and the tire pressure light comes somedays and goes off other times. Also, is the Tl alot lower than the average sedan. I feel like I am sitting lower than a camry or accord. Why is that?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "I feel like I am sitting lower than a camry or accord. Why is that?"

I get that feeling too. It doesn't help that I'm not tall, but I think the TL's got a fairly high belt-line and cowl.
  • jcb123jcb123 Posts: 18
    Just picked up a new '08 TL from the dealer last week. After 2-3 days of local driving, noticed what sounds like a little vibration noise / pinging /rattle coming from the front passenger side door area. Thought it might be a loose door panel? Naturally, it does not occur all the time but it did seem to happen most at about 50 mph. Also, noticed that the aluminum trim from same side dashboard is off by about 1/4 inch where dash meets the door. Wondering if anyone has had similar problem or if Acura has history of anything similar? Could it just be new car break in? Any help would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • Welcome to the wonderful world of the rattling TL!! My 07 Type-s was in the shop 3 times (total of 8 days) for this and other minor problems, all during the first month of ownership.

My TL had a rattle on the driver's side door, near the mirror. The area manager discovered through research that it was actually the mirror and had it replaced. No more rattle (knock on wood)...

Also had a tapping sound coming from the pass air vent. When the dealer replaced it, they dented my aluminum trim. Hence the 3rd visit. Now the latest problem is a pixel is dead in the center of my Navi. :mad:
  • My '04 had some squeaks and rattles early on. I brought it to the dealer and after being very specific, they were able to fix them. In my opinion all new cars have some rattles and squeaks. Hang in there, I have been very happy with my '04
  • i have a 2005 acura tl at what mileage should i be changing my park plugs and doing the maintenance
  • I recently changed the battery myself in my daughters 2002 and now I get an error message on the radio face. The manual is unclear about how to reset, except for "return to your local Acura dealer".....there must be a way for the owner to reset the radio?
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    There is a 5 digit security code that needs to be entered
    The car, when new, came with this code on a card

If you don't know it, the dealer can help you after getting the serial number off the back of the head unit
  • rgb2rgb2 Posts: 30
    Tire pressure varies with temprerature. Hotter->higher, colder->lower. Your tires probably need a little air.

I agree. It is a lower-sitting car which is better for driving dynamics, but worse for line of sight and in case of accidents :cry:
    Re: sight-line. Out front, not so bad. To the rear, ie. changing lanes, I'm still not 100% comfortable (to the point where you more or less do it by instinct) after 3 years. :blush: :cry:
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 16
    I own a 2006 TL with about 16,000 miles on it. The driver's side window makes a loud screeching noise as the window is lowered down the channel. This happens occasionally, but the frequency seems to be increasing. The passenger's side does not experience this problem. Has anybody else had this problem? Thank you.
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    Yes, but it's the passenger's side. It comes and goes.

Best solution I found is to wash the exterior of the windows with plenty of warm soapy water and wipe down the window's molding,(especially on the bottom portion) with a wet rag with the window down. Also, clean the interior window with a warm damp rag. This seems to work.

It may still come and go, but not as often.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 16
    Camon,

Thank you for your input. I will try what you have recommended :)
  • Did anyone ever reply to this question? I recently bought a used 2003 TL from CarMax and noticed the whining after driving it for about 1 week. I was told that it was normal for this make/model and that nothing can be done. Is this true?
    I have a 2006 TL, anthracite gray. The other night backed up into something or other and now have three gouges in the plastic bumper. Are my only options to touch up with paint or replace the bumper? If there is no dent, is there something a body shop can do with this kind of thing. I only have 14,000 on the car. :sick:
  • Did the same thing w/ my '05 shortly after I bought it. Took it to car star and they buffed it out and repainted, I think around $250. As long as there are no deep gouges you shouldn't need a new bumper.
    You guys need backup sensors! :P
    Is Car Star a chain of auto repair places? And yes, I definitely need back-up sensors. I assume they can't be added to a car; or can they?
    I think they can be added. In fact, isn't backup sensors a dealer-installed option on the TL?
  • I had this problem on another car. A dealership technician explained that the window tracks (grooves) can dry causing the screeching noise. Purchase a can of silicone spray lubricant. Put the red tube in the nozzle. Lower the windows completely. Spray a light amount of lubricant in the side grooves where the window slides up and down. Do not spray in the bottom groove (obviously). Raise and lower windows a few times. Noise is gone.

If it not, then you have some other mechanical issue.

Do not use WD-40. Must be a silicone or lithium type lubricant.