Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• asully1979asully1979 Posts: 3
    Tomorrow when I first start the car I'll have my husband take a look. I appreciate so very much for the help!
  • mogal1mogal1 Posts: 9
    Hello all,

I am looking at buying a used 2004 TL with 45k miles, private sale, non-navi. Owner wants about $18,800.

Are there particular issues I should be on the lookout for in this year and model? I'm trying to find a good local mechanic for an inspection but would like to have an idea of potential/likely problem areas before I get in too deep, especially since I would be the third owner, a possible red flag. I'd heard about transmission problems some time ago, is there a production date by which those were fixed?

One problem that jumps out: the leather in the car (parchment) seems unusually badly worn, the driver's seat is nearly threadbare and has lots of cracks and fissures. Is this a common issue, and if so how have people dealt with it?

The car also has badly mismatched tires (newish front tires, nearly threadbare rear tires) which would need to be replaced, a jerky passenger side window, and tar spots (on a white car). I think some price adjustments would be in order.

Can anyone offer any help or advice? Thanks in advance.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Sounds like a car that hasn't been particularly well taken care of....maybe you avoid this one.
  • bdemarrbdemarr Posts: 25
    I have owned my '04 TL since it was new and have been very happy with it. My only complaint is it has been notorious for eating up tires. I just put on my 3rd set (37,000 miles currently) and finally was told by my mechanic NOT to put Z rated tires on there...they are too soft. I went with his suggestion which was Michelin Primacy. About $1k drive out for 4 @ my local NTB. they have a high tread wear :) rating also. I would negotiate that on your deal. As far as the interior, no cracks or tears, but I keep my cars looking nice. 16 miles in the city, 26 plus on the highway. Nice engine-good pick up. No mechanical problems to date other than the tire issue. Good luck-I think it is a great car.
  • rhinoboyrhinoboy Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 TL Type S with 85,000 miles on it. I drive an average of 750 miles a week.

#1. At what intervals should I be changing the oil? I have been changing the oil every 3,000 miles but this is getting to cost too much and I have heard that I should instead be changing the oil every 5,000 to 7,000 miles.

#2. At how many miles should I have the timing belt checked or replaced? I have been told by my Accura Dealership that it is recomended at 85,000 miles and costs around $900 dollars due to the amount of labor costs for the 8 hour job.
  • new2carsnew2cars Posts: 71
    Hi fellow Acura TL enthusiasts,

I parked underneath a tree yesterday for 3 hours yesterday and as I drove away, I noticed plenty of tree sap spots on my entire car. For fear of making it worse, I haven't tried to wash my car by hand because the sap was sticky and I didn't want to harm the paint and further smear the sap.

What do I do? How should I remove this sap safely? I wanted to take my car into the detailers but I want to make sure they are careful with this sappy stuff. It looks like a risky job. Otherwise, I would prefer to take care of this myself. Help! Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks! :cry:
  • xyz17xyz17 Posts: 10
    Dont know if this is helpful or not...but I had the same issue with my Camry and I just washed it...actually it rained a couple of days after the Tree SAP fell on my car and everything got washed away...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,945
    Sometimes very cold plain water works the best.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    I had tree sap fall on our '07 MDX almost a year ago and its finally starting to flake off. Whatever you do don't scrape it off. I was very reluctant to use anything to remove it. This must have been industrial strength sap.
  • aghmomaghmom Posts: 1
    This is my first post so I hope it is in the right place?

We just had a 2002 acura tl transported from florida (it was my moms car) she had purchased a new car and hadn't started the acura in 3 weeks in the hot florida sun; when the transport guy went to start the car it wouldn't start so he sprayed some wd40 on the air filter and it started - car is delivered started fine but idling very rough and check engine light is now on - we replaced the air filter still nothing - I have made an appointment with acura for tomorrow but don't want to get ripped off any ideas would be truly appreciated - should we put dry gas and fill the tank it is at about a quarter tank???

Thanks in advance!!
  • I have a 2000 TL (8 yrs old) with 81,000 Miles. How soon should I replace the timing belt? What is a fair price if I have the water pump, drive belts and tensioner replaced?

If I have been using Mobil One Synthetic oil, how oftenshould I be changing it? (80% of mleage is city, about 800 miles per month).
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    Has anyone tried either the "Michelin Pilot Sport A/S" tires or the "Bridgestone Potenza" tires on their TL?
    Any feedback on these specific tires would be appreciated.
  • lockgiantslockgiants Posts: 29
    Hey fellas! So can anyone here give me a few opinions on moving to synthetic oil? I just got my 08 TL in December, and currently have 7k miles on the odometer. I'm thinkin switching to synthetic (Mobile 1 I heard is good??) for my second oil change. Is it worth it? What are the benifits/negatives of moving to synthetic?

Also, for those of you who change your own oil on your TL's, is there anything out of the ordinary that I would need to change my own oil and oil filter?? Are there any possibilities of leaks when switching to synthetic after 7k miles? Any special tools needed?

Any advice welcome!
  • herbert11herbert11 Posts: 22
    I own a 2006 TL with 25k on the odo. In March the car went to the dealer to have a
    shift interlock switch replaced. In May the battery failed and had to be replaced.
    Tonight while on a busy highway the trunk popped open, It looks like the latch has broken. It will go to the dealer tomorrow.

I am extremely dissapointed in this car. I owned 3 Buicks prior to this Acura. I put about 400k combined on the 3 cars and had very little trouble.
    I would trade this car for a Lucerne tomorrow if I could get a decent deal. However the best a dealer would offer was $24000 on a list price Buick.
    That translates to about $20000 real trade in-value. So much for this car holding it's value.
    I switched to Mobile 1 Synthetic on my new 05TL at 5K miles. I change it every 5k and have no leaks. I now have 40k miles on it.
    I bought a used 00TL with 90K miles on it 3 years ago, and switched it to Mobile1 Synthetic at that time. Again, I change it every 5K and have had no leaks.
    I never have to check the oil between changes on either Acura, because they don't burn any oil and read full when I change them. Both engines run flawlessly.

I used Mobile1 Synthetic on my 2 previously owned Mitsubishi's which I bought new, and ran them both to 200k.
    One I changed the oil every 5k and it burned no oil at 200k nor were there any leaks. I sold the car to a friend (auto mechanic) and it has 225k on it and the engine still runs flawlessly with no leaks and no oil burning.
    The other I changed the oil every 7.5k up to 120k miles and then changed it every 10k thereafter. At 200k it was burning some oil. There was a minor oil seepage under one valve gasket on that car, but I was told by the dealer that it was not uncommon for that engine regardless of type of oil.

I've had very good experience with Mobile 1 Synthetic, especially when I change it every 5k (which might be a bit of overkill but it works for me) since I like to get at least 200k miles from all my cars.
    I believe the manual says to not put synthetic in for the first oil change. That being said, I have used Mobil 1 or a good quality synthetic in all of my acuras including my '04 MDX (55k miles) every 5k miles. No problems yet (knock on wood). ;)
    Well, at least knock on plood! ;)
    Plood...... :P :cry:
  • mmelonemmelone Posts: 6
    I've had my TL Sedan for one week. Other then a suddenly developed Information panel rattle couldn't be happier. When I hit a bump in the road there's an annoying rattle. First I thought it was something in the glove box or storage compartments no luck. I even tried removing the CDs. I know I need to bring back the car for service but any suggestions what it might be? :(
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    There has been an issue in the past with the glove box door. The solution was to insert a piece of felt (or cork will work) so when shut, the door is snug to the box itself. Any hardware store has felt for the bottom of chairs (on wood floors) and it is cheap. Try it out with tape before you adhere the piece to be sure.

Try thinner felt to begin with so you are not streesing the latch.
    do you change your own oil? if so is there anything special that needs to be done? any special tools to change the oil filter?
    i had my first oil change at 6k miles. so im planning on moving to synthetic for my second oil change. im just trying to figure out if there are any special tools needed for me to be able to change my own oil.
    Another source of noise from the glove box door is those 2 little plastic "fins" that stick out from the edge of the glove box opening. They rub against the glove box door when it is closed and make a clickity noise. Try lubbing them with a silicon spray every few months.
    I use the following tools to change my oil in my 05TL.

1. The proper size oil filter wrench which I got at the Acura dealer's parts Dept.
    2. A torque wrench to re-tighten the oil drain plug to 29 ft/lbs as specified in the owner's manual. (Many people just use a regular wrench).
    3. Rino Ramps to lift the front end of the car to easily reach the filter and drain plug
    4. Oil drain pan.

Also be sure you get a new "oil drain plug crush washer" with your new oil filter (again the Acura parts dept). The old one you remove will be "crushed" and you should use a new one. This is where the torque wrench helps to reset the proper "crush".
    You will need to reset your maintence minder after the oil change so it reads 100% again. The owner's manual describes exactly how to do this.
  • trailhikertrailhiker Posts: 26
    I recently purchased an 08 TL that had numerous rattles. The rattle you described sounds like the center speaker just above the information panel. There is a TSB on this rattle, #07-049 - they put foam around the speaker grill. This rattle makes it sound like there are numerous rattles in the dash and console. You can tap on the top of the dash by the center speaker grill and most likely reproduce this rattle.

There is also a rattle that is located in the top center of both front doors that is caused by a metal rod that rattles on the plastic retainers. They put foam around it to quiet the rattle.

There is also another TSB, #06-040 about the glove box door squeaks and rattles but a fix was to have been made in later model TLs that was supposed to have resolved this rattle.

There is also another TSB (not sure of the number) about the rear panel that rattles. Again they use foam insulation to minimize the rattle.

Needless to say, my TL has its share of rattles.
  • mmelonemmelone Posts: 6
    This situation is sad! This is a great car. When I drive it the damn rattle drives me nuts!!!!!! :mad:
  • trailhikertrailhiker Posts: 26
    I had thought the TL was a great car from a good Manufacturer. When I purchased my 08 TL from the dealer McDavid Acura in Plano, Tx is when my problems began. Besides numerous rattles, there was a factory paint defect on the rear quarter panel and the dealer was promptly going to "touch it up" which they did a good but that has been the ONLY good thing about this dealer and getting problems fixed. When they had the car to touchup the paint, they got overspray on my TL from another car they were painting, they used a razor blade scrapper that had a burr on it to remove the overspray from the front windshield and ruined the windshield, had to replace the front windshield. They also returned the car to me covered with the overspray and they told me to wipe the car down with paint remover to get it off (I had the car for only 1 week )! While they were fixing the windshield, they dropped a tool on the center console and dented it which they replaced. Somehow whey they were fixing the rattles, they disconnected something on the SRS system and I started getting error messages that the SRS system failed. I had the dealer tint the windows and all 4 side windows have since scratched and the dealer will not fix it (said it is the way the car is designed and was not intended to have tinted windows but did not tell me that when I bought the car). Now since it has gotten HOT outside, the A/C makes a loud sound like air being let out of a tire and is extremely annoying. The dealer said this is normal. Needless to say I am very unhappy with Acura, the dealer and this has been the worst car experience I have ever had. I have talked to Acura Client Relations for assistance to get repairs of which I have received very little help from them.

The best thing to do if there are problems on a new TL is to keep after the dealer until they fix the problems. Do not accept the response that it is normal or that is the way the car is designed if you suspect a problem. Most of these problems are well known by the dealers but getting they to repair them, even when you show them a TSB about the problem, can be frustrating.

This is certainly not the quality or service I expected from Acura being this is my 2nd Acura. My 1st Acura was almost problem free. I am sure other TL owners have not had this much trouble. There has just been a comedy of errors since I purchased the car and has just been a bad overall experience.

Good luck with your dealer and your repairs.
  • mwaddo10mwaddo10 Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 TL Base and I'd like to swap the Gas/Brake pedals with the Type-S version. Has anyone out there done this? Can you buy them (or something similar?) Is it easy to do?
    awsome, thanks for the advice!!!

is it possible for you to also tell me how much you spend on the oil change all together? filter + washer + oil? i