Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks, Trailhiker. I, too, am thinking that moleskin should be the last resort. Given that my window tint guy has never installed moleskin (he works with high end vehicles like Masseratis and Ferraris but also mid-level vehicles), I simply don't trust him. I would prefer to have an experienced tinter who has dealt with moleskin and preferably Acuras, take care of the moleskin. If I knew this was going to be an ongoing issue, I would not have taken my TL in.

With that said, I think I'm going to hold off on the moleskin. I'm bummed that I will have to treat the windows with so much extra care- I think that's ridiculous but none of us knew this when forking over the money for a nice car such as the TL.

Living in So. Cal. and having my last Acura tinted, it was a no brainer. Little did I know that I was dealing with a design defect. That is so frustrating. I'm keep this in mind when I buy next car!
  • So will you ever have to pay a shop to replace pads or rotors again? I hope not since they are so easy to do. I am 72 and have been doing my own work since I was 16 and have saved thousands.
    I agree about the flat head screws. Many people just do not replace them. I did because they were cheap and easy to pick up at the local Honda garage. After putting on the Brembo rotors, I could not get over how smooth the stopping was. How about you?
  • I have an Acura TL 2000 with navagation and the A/C controls do not seem to work. I try to turn it off on the navagation screen and it will not turn off. None of the controls on the screen seem to respond except the ones that change the direction of the airflow. The speed controls and on and off do not respond. Can anyone help before I have to take it in somewhere that will charge me an arm and a leg. Do I need to just replace the navagation screen? Thanks!
  • I have a 2008 TL. I've noticed that the molding that runs completely around the front door openings are easily scuffed/torn by the bottom of my shoe. Does anyone know of a protective plate that I can purchase. I asked some floor mat makers if they have mats that cover/protect the door sill. No one does. I saw a 2008 BMW 328i that has some sort of rigid plastic or vinyl protective cover that came with the car. Very good idea. Wish Acura would have done the same thing.
  • my 04 TL has 53k miles and it runs great. Ive been noticing lately when the trans is going from 4th to 5th it sometimes hesitates or gets confused as if its not sure it wants to drop down into 5th. Im hoping this isnt a sign of the transmission issues that i frequently hear about with the TL's. Sometimes when it does drop into 5th i can feel a noticeable thud. I had the TL in about a month ago for a complete trans flush and was told the fluid looked great that came out, and that the car was in excellent mechanical condition. Any thoughts or anyone else expierence this with the trans?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I've got an '04, and unless I'm looking at the tach, I wouldn't notice it going into 5th --- it is that smooth. I wonder if your service guy put in the proper tranny fluid after the tranny flush?
  • Well ill admit mine is pretty smooth too for the most part. I just pay very close attention sometimes to what the car is doing. Its funny my TL seems to shift the smoothest when i accelerate hard. Only when im driving with a light foot is when i notice the 4 to 5 shift hesitation. My previous car was a lexus gs300 and even under light acceleration i never felt this sensation. Im sure if anyone else drove my car they wouldnt even notice.
  • Hi everyone,

I went through a series of incidents with a dead battery on my 2007 TL last year. I'd leave the car for a day or two and the TL would be lifeless. I posted my adventure here and after a battery draw test and leaving the car at the dealership for several days to see if the same thing would happen, the dealership gave me a new battery. This was in October 2007.

It has been mentioned that having nav might draw from the battery, even when the car isn't being used. This is sounds awfully ridiculous that us drivers have to suffer after paying so much money for a nice car like the TL.

Last night, after letting the TL sit for 1 day, the battery was dead again. What is the problem with TLs and their batteries?

What should I do? Should I make an appointment with the dealership again and get the run around?

I am very frustrated and tired of this recurring battery problem. :cry:

What do you advise that I do? Thanks for your help!
  • Does you state have a lemon law? If so, investigate it and see how many times they require that the car require maintenance. After some number, like three times, they force the company to replace it with a new car.
  • I live in CA and I believe they have a lemon law. I will do some research on this. Does anyone have any info on this?

BTW, I just got off the phone with the dealership and they said they have never heard of such a problem. That sounds fishy to me considering they dealt with me last year. My service advisor said he's never heard of a problem after leaving the TL for such a short period of time. (My Edmunds posts from 2007 document my battery issues.) My main concern here is that I don't want to be stranded somewhere knowing that the battery is so unreliable. New batteries shouldn't be this sketchy and unpredictable.

Grrrr...any advice is appreciated because I'm running out of options. :(
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    There are 162 posts on this site alone about TL battery problems, commencing with the 2004 model year; and, the problem appearently continues. Two friends of mine had the same battery problem in their brand new TL's, both had navigation systems. I have a 2005 TL without nav and fortunately its gone 4 years without a battery problem, sitting for weeks at a time. As I recall, first they thought it was a system drain related to the nav system, then it was a bad batch of batteries, then it was the blue tooth device, and now I'm not sure they know what is going on, especially from your dealer's comments.
    There are service bulletins that were put out in the past by ACURA on the problem but it looks like they still don't have a handle on it from the posts I've seen. I'd definitely contact ACURA, possibly a different dealers' repair department, and look into the lemon law of your state.
    ".....sitting for weeks at a time."

You mean you just park it continuously for several weeks without even turning the engine over to idle once in a while? But it starts right up afterwards? Sometimes I park mine for a week or so, but afterwards when I crank the ignition it may hesitate for a second before firing up.
  • Can someone tell me the interval for timing belt replacement for TL
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    Yes. I often go continuously for several weeks at a time without starting it and it starts up right away, with absolutely no weak battery or hesitation whatsoever on the engine starting. I think the longest period was about a month where I didn't even get in the car and it started right up.

Any car should be able to be parked for several weeks at a time without starting (such as at an airport when you go on a trip) and it should start right up when you get back. If it doesn't, something is not right.
  • I never had the battery problems in my '05 but I got a recall notice about the potential link between the nav and dead batteries. Took it in and had something replaced behind the nav screen.
    If I park mine for a week or 2, it will start but there is that slight hesitation before the engine catches, which is a little bit disconcerting. When I say hesitation I mean when I turn the key, there is no sound at all for a split second, then the engine turns over. Perhaps you live in a warmer climate than where I am.
    I had the same procedure done to mine. Sadly though, I hadn't gotten the recall notice ahead of time. :mad: I encountered the symptoms with the outside temp display going blank and the rear defrost being inoperative, then after parking it over the weekend, it was dead the following week. :cry:
  • 2tone2tone Posts: 2
    Hey all, I have a 99 Acura 2.5 TL...Yes i said 99 it still runs like a beauty but I'm having one issue. I started the car and it cut off on me, I started it again the TCS light came on the car rumble for 10 seconds (TCS light went off) then it got quite like the car wasn't even running. It's has a nav but mostly works in the winter time and not in the summer any who I've notice that lately the nav goes on and off by itself. Does any more know why the car is cutting off??? Can the nav issue be electrical? I've taken it to the Acura dealer and they have nothing for me, even when it's placed on the computer no problem are shown...Not ready to part ways just yet. :sick:
  • 2tone2tone Posts: 2
    Typo it's an Acura 3.2 TL :D
  • Here is the suggestion: considering the time you spend on this issuse with the dealer, I would like to suggest you to buy a new battery from shops like walmart and install in by yourself. It cost about $70 or less.
  • nmsgnmsg Posts: 39
    Hi, I was on the highway the other day and a little pebble hit my windshield and chipped a little on the glass. I had my car for 9 months now and I don't drive it that often. I'm very upset that it happened and that the windshield is cheaply made. We had a similar issue with a Honda civic too which a little pebble put a crack on the windshield. Should I take it to a dealer and have them replace it with an another Acura windshield before it cracks? Any advise is appreciated. Thx.
  • I had a 2000 TL and had two windshields replaced from chips. The insurance company would not replace it unless the chip was in the line of sight. It is not that it is "cheaply made", it is the low sloping hood. All windshields are made the same I believe and many by the same company. Neither developed into a crack.
    We are recently back from a 2100 mile vacation in our new 08 and guess what, it got a chip on the windshield and paint off the hood. I hate it but I do not know of anything that can be done. I read somewhere that 3M is developing a film for it but I do not think it is out yet.
  • nmsgnmsg Posts: 39
    rvator,
    thx for the response. when you said you believe all of the windshields are made by the same company, do you mean that all car companies use the same windshield company? the reason i ask is i never had that problem with my camry and it was hit many times with pebbles.
    Within the first couple of months after I bought my '04, I got a chip/small crack on my windshield, down near the bottom part. :cry: I ignored it, and well, almost 5 years later now, it hasn't gotten noticeably bigger. I might replace it if I get another chip/crack.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,629
    I've had a small "star" shaped chip/crack in the lower right hand corner of my '05 TL windshield for about 6 months now. It hasn't grown/spider-webbed at all....yet.... Knock plood that it doesn't.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    no need to replace the windshield. Have the chip fixed at a glass repair facility. Insurance companies will normally wave the deductable. If you don't get it repaired it can spider web eventually.
    That's almost the exactly same location where my chip/crack is located!
  • My '05 TL was 3 mos old, I took it on it's first major road trip. As I began to pass a back hoe on a trailer, it hit a bump, a small cloud of dust blew off the machine and I heard a glass-break sound. The windshield had the smallest crack. It was a hot July week and the defect turned into a crack across the entire windshield within a week. I was so upset about my new car...
    I found out the dealer used a commercial glass place so I dealt with the glass place directly. They explained Accord and TL use the same windshield (so they are always in stock thanks to Accord's popularity) and theirs were from OEM supplier... 2+ years later, have had no problem w/ the replacement.

My current problem began a in the fall, a diesel-like noise when starting on a cold AM, worse w/ defroster on. Seems to go away as car warms. Thought of taking back to Acura but there were no other symptoms. I noticed it increasing recently, occurs with my foot on the accelerator. It got loud enough today (12/24) that I called the Acura dealer around noon, but the shop closed early for Christmas. After work, I noticed it even louder on my way home and the car would not shift into 5th gear on the highway. I put it in manual shift mode (to confirm the gear it was in) and tried manual upshift to 5th at appropriate hwy speed, no dice. Any similar experiences out there? Hope the dealer is open on 12/26.
    Thanks for any thoughts... :sick:
  • echowechow Posts: 2
    So I'm a new TL owner and unfortunately I already have a crack on my windshield. The quote I received from the dealer is $900. I have found other glass repair shops that charge around $2-300. Should I go to the dealer to replace it or go to the cheaper shops? Thanks
  • In my experience (see post 5177), the dealership told me they called in the glass shop's mobile van so I dealt with the glass place directly - their mobile van came right to my office. Could not have been easier. Since comprehensive insurance covers glass in my state (MA), price did no matter to me. Of course, it depends upon the glass place - I was happy with the shop I used.