Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Take it to a shop- the dealer does the same.
    By doing it at the dealer you are paying both the Dealer and the Glass Repair Shop.
    That's called double dipping in the Hedge Fund world.
  • I've noticed consistent postings about battery problems with the newer TL's. Does anybody know if you can pop the clutch (manual transmission of course) if you're in a pinch?

I have an '06 TL that has become my "airport rat" - it will occasionally have to sit in an airport parking lot for a long period of time. It replaced an old Miata I had that I could strategically park in a remote part of the lot that was on an incline. It worked quite well and I went for a considerable period of time before replacing the battery (expensive in the Miata).

I was going to go out and test it but if anybody has already done it, it would save the wear and tear and perhaps an unexpected unpleasant surprise.

Thanks...
  • KTamboKTambo Posts: 1
    I've had a 96 Acura 2.5TL for 2 1/2 yrs. Every now and then when we have a lot of precipitation, car won't start. Then starts right up the next day. So far have had: new main control relay for computer, new computer temp sensor, new up stream oxygen sensor and throttle air boot, mass air flow meter. Still an issue. Anyone else have this problem? Ideas?
  • Hi Sir,

This is also exactly the same situation I had recently.
    I am wondering if I ask you to tell me how you dealed with that problem.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks, Yongseob
  • landzglandzg Posts: 6
    Hi, I was in the dealership for regular B1 service (20K, 2007 TL S Type). The service costs about $180 but the service person told me I need to replace the front pad as well. I asked why it needed to be replaced after only 20K of driving and I am not an aggressive break-slam type. He said he doesn't know either but it definitely wore out completely. He also indicated these are high performance type break pad so would be costly. Does that make sense to anyone here? Would love to hear some inputs. I am in Pohanka Acura, VA dealer today.

Thanks,
    Land
  • rvator4rvator4 Posts: 84
    I think PPG make most windshield glass but I am not positive. Different companies buy the glass and cut and sag it to the correct shape and coutour, and then temper it. That also could change the hardness somewhat.
  • gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    Again I had around 30K on mine when they replaced the pads on my 07 TLS and 20K or more was strictly Highway. I just hope they didn't recommend Rotors to be replaced too! They should only need cut. If not the rotors are defective and they should replace "free of charge" just like they replaced mine since they were defective. Acura is trying to make it up in the Service Department! Brembo Brakes aren't cheap! Easily just pad replacement $250 for the just the front! Good Luck!
  • Hi,
    I recently purchased a 2008 Acura TL Type S. My first new car in 18 years. Prior to that I drove a 1990 Toyota Tercel that I never bothered washing or cleaning.

Consequently, I have some silly questions about cleaning the interior of my TL.
    1) What should I use to clean the seats? Some kind of leather cleaner? The seats are leather, correct?
    2) What should I use to clean and care for the dashboard? Is the dahboard vinyl or does it have a leather covering?
    I have no experience with anything other than vinyl (seats, dash, etc.).
    Thanks for any suggestions and help!
  • Hi Acura TL drivers,

After the micro-scratches appeared on the tint of my windows, I had my windows re-tinted and had felt strips installed. (See my previous posts re: tint problems.) When the re-tint was complete, I took my TL to a different vendor to install the felt strips in the windows since my original tint guy had never done it before.

The felt strip installer discovered that the tinting place forgot to replace 2 of the screws inside my door panels. I am missing a big silver screw (which secures the inner door panel) and a smaller black one (to fasten the door handle). I searched high and low inside my car hoping to find the missing screws but came up empty-handed. I'm ticked off at the tint shop for their poor service and I'm fed up with them.

Where can I buy just 1 silver screw and 1 black screw to replace the ones the tint shop lost? Does Acura Parts just sell screws in small amounts? This window tint situation has driven me batty. :confuse:

Any advice is appreciated.
  • Try this Web site for Acura parts. I have purchased numerous parts from them in the past and always had great service from them. They will sell individual parts and do not have a minimum order requirement. Look under the section for "Front Door Panel" and you will see a complete diagram and list of parts.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/catdisplay.jsp?inputstate=1&catcgry1=TL

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the info and link! I must be blind because I cannot locate "front door panel" in the left column. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!
  • I need new tires for my TL. I drive less than 10K mi/year. I am looking for a good inexpensive tire that is not loud. Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • I bought a 06 TL in November and had Sumitumo's HTR+'s put on them, I drive about 12K a year. The tires are under $90 per at www.tirerack.com. Read the reviews. For the price. . .
  • hi everyone. i am looking at purchasing a 1996 tl. it has 143k on it and is in great condition. i just don't want to get into some expensive repairs. i was wondering if there are any known common problems with these vehicles?. my brother has a 03 tl and loves it. i know he had a trans replaced, something bout not enough oil or something along those lines. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  • rvator4rvator4 Posts: 84
    I have not heard that this is a common problem, but when we traded in our 00 TL in August, they asked if we had replaced the timing belt. We had 70K on the car, but it was 8 years old. I have heard that a failure of the belt can cause major engine failure, like a valve punching a hole in a piston. An '06 TL should have had it replaced a second time because I think they recommend 70K miles or 5 years.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Posts: 106
    My 08 TL Type-S is on it's 3rd new battery in less than a year! Anyone else experience battery issues in their TL's? This time it only sat for one (1) day in the garage and it was dead the following day. Is it perhaps that the Acura batteries are not worth anything or is it the car draining the battery?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    A couple of years ago my battery went dead over a long weekend. It hasn't happened again ..... until today! Or at least I think it's dead. My car's been parked for over a month because we've had dreadful weather here this winter. I looked inside the garage this morning and the red LED on top of the door is not blinking. When I get home I'll check to see if the battery has died again.

(As an aside, does anyone know, with a healthy battery and engine, how long should one be able to park a car continuously, without the threat of the battery dying? A month, 6 months, indefinitely?)
  • I had two battery replacements on my 06 TL, each after a week vacation. After the second, they investigated and found a faulty handsfree link module (continuously draining) that solved that problem. There may be a bulletin on that.
  • I'm so sorry to hear about that! I am currently on my third battery as well. I have a 2007 TL with nav. I had it flatbedded to the dealership in December '08 and they conducted some draw tests without finding a draw source. They gave me my 3rd battery and sent me on my way. I am more than certain that if I leave my car for a day or so, the same problem will happen. I'm disappointed with the lack of evaluation and attention to this repeat problem.

I've asked several car experts and a new battery should not drain this quickly. There seems to be a draw somewhere in the car, but so far, the dealership claims they can't find one.

See my previous posts re: battery problems for details on my situation.

It's such a hassle and a complete inconvenience not knowing whether or not my "new" car will start.

Have you taken your S-Type into the dealership? What was their response?
  • I have a 2007 s type.
    No battery problems. (yet)
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    I have a 2007 Acura TL (no Brembos) that have 50k on it. I can easily inspect the rear brakes and there is a ton of miles left. However....trying to visually inspect the front pads (before I bring it in to the dealer for oil change) so I can determine what is left on the front. However...I can't see it because of the housing surrounding the pad. Tried to bring a mirror along side the housing with a flashlight...but can't see the pad.

How do I inspect the front pads?

How many miles do everyone here have with their original pads?

How much quicker do the front pads wear out compare to the rears?

Thanks for the help
  • You should be able to see the pads left if you take the wheels off.
    I recently sold my 00 TL with 70K miles. I had put new Brembo's on (calipers and pads) at 65K because we were going on a long trip, but the pads I took off were good for another 25K miles, at least.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    How can I check the brake pads without taking the wheels off? I heard that if you take a mirror to the rotors...you can visually inspect.

Is there a trick to that process?

Also...how much quicker do the front brakes wear compare to the rear?
  • ewsncewsnc Posts: 14
    I've had a 08 TL Base for about a year. Since new, the car has an annoying issue. The engine seems to chatter when runs at 1800 -2000 RPM and gives a grinding feeling from the floor. The feeling clears up if RPM is below or above the range. Running the engine without load doesn't give this problem. Is this normal?
  • I complained of the same issue when I returned by car for it's first scheduled service visit. I was told this was normal. It interesting becuase I just drove the new 2009 TL and there was no issue.
  • semezsemez Posts: 36
    Anyone have any opinions on having the 2 recalls on an 05 TL done.
    I dont really have time and was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the Power steering or wiper motors. Not really interested in wasting my time if its no big deal. Opinions??
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    If you have an automatic I believe the car shifts into 5th at a fairly low speed which causes the engine to lug due to the low rpm. Manual shifting to 4th clears up the grinding....this is based on my experience with my 06
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,730
    I had these two done at once. Left the car for the day, got a loaner TSX. I'd get it done. While you never know when a component may go, I believe that a recall denotes a greater likelihood.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• I ran out of gas on the highway this morning. I know, I know. I've already been given the incredulous "How could you?" look by my co-workers, wife and the NJ highway employee who pulled over to inquire, so please no more piling on. Have some mercy.

My question is this: I've heard letting gas tank run to empty will damage the fuel filter because of the sediments at the bottom. Has this happened to anyone on the forum? How do I really check if my fuel filter is ok? Is this one-time transgression going to cost me dearly? I just recently had an oil change done (if that matters).

By the way, I thought once the fuel warning light came on there are still about 4 gallons or so in the tank. I don't think I went even 50 miles after that light came on. But I've learnt my lesson -- no more futzing around once the warning light comes on.

Armani
  • I don't know about the filter(although I suspect that you would notice a clogged filter in performance), but I think the onboard computer calculates how much gas is left in the tank from fuel flow. The only problem I have with that in my 08TL is that the estimated MPG on a trip shows 5 to 6 MPG more than actual. If that info is used to tell when to turn on the low fuel warning, it is way off. That is what I see when I compare miles left in the tank to the gauge after filling it.