Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

1178179180181182184»

Comments

• So I am having a hard time figuring out who did the A/T recall work, and what exactly was done. I had a local dealer print out a VIN inquiry that tells me that the A/T recall work was done, but none of the dealerships that show up on the Carfax have records of doing that recall work.

How can I figure out what was done and if I need to worry about this transmission?
  • Okay, I've found out that in 2006, at 41,676 miles the oil-jet-kit pack was replaced, but the transmission was not replaced. It now has 106,000 miles.

How should I feel about the reliability of the transmission?
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    edited September 2013
    Our family has a 2000 TL and had the dealer comply with the Acura service bulletin you described at 87,000 miles. Afterwards, at 93,000 miles the transmission failed and had to be completely replaced. Fortunately, Acura paid for it because it was under 100,000 mi/7 years. We put another 90.000 miles on it and now we only use it to drive in town on weekends just in case.

A friend has a 2001 Acura TL with only 47,000 miles on it. It was completely dealer serviced since new, including service bulletins. The transmission is slipping and is past the period of time that Acura will fix it.

In other words, the jet kits did not seem to matter.

I and a different friend also have 2005 Acuras (next generation). I have 104,000 miles on mine and he has over 200,000 miles on his. Neither has given any indication of a transmission problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,538
    After 100K any automatic transmission could fail. Aside from a good test drive, (paying attention to irregular shifting, jerking, slipping, shuddering, etc) your only other action that makes any sense would be to take the car to an independent shop for a pre-purchase inspection, which would include a computer scan and checking the condition and level of the transmission fluid.

This is an 11 year old car. There's just a certain amount of risk that is unavoidable.