Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Good to know! I shall follow up with the dealership. I, too, have a 2007 TL. This is covered under the factory warranty???

Thank you!
  • Please keep in mind your opinion on the new Acura TL is just that, your opinion.

I happen to think it is sinister, menacing and it's sharklike design is purposeful and I get compliments on the car all the time.
    Oh, and lets also not forget that the TL is Acura's best selling car right now.

Hummm, guess you are in the minority on this one. Personally I think the 2007 TL is a ripoff. Way too small and overpriced. The new TL is as big as the RL and drives like sports sedan should. You'll be waiting another 6 years before this body style changes with a mild refresh in between. Maybe you should look at Lincoln.
  • gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    I appreciate your comment. As an owner of a 2007 TLS and brandy new 2010 TSX Tech v6 I am an avid ACURA owner. Also correction to your comment that "the TL is Acura's best selling car" ***WAS ACURA'S BEST SELLING VEHICLE 04-08*** ... no... the new 09-10 TSX is their best selling car. Check the stats. More widgets out the door so far. Personally the new TL looks "from the front end" a TRANSFORMER of some sort. HIDEOUS! "Again just my opinion." Also... last week I had a 2010 TL for a loaner since my TLS was in for service and had to refill the tank at my local gas station and the guy pumping the gas next to me in a new 2010 Jaguar XKR not knowing him from a bag of beans said "damn that's one ugly car." well I said ... "Thank god IT'S A LOANER!" :P
  • Transformers are beautiful machines.:)
    Anyway, I have had my TL AWD for about three months now and I have never gotten a negative comment.On the contrary, I was at a gas station several weeks ago and two dudes walked up to me and said that the TL is the hottest car on the street right now.They also went on to mention that mine was super hot-
    *White diamond pearl with the ebony interior
    *35% Tint
    *Wood Wheel
    *Back up Sensors
    *Wood Shift Knob
    *All Weather Mats
    Picking up the Cargo Net this weekend.
  • Hi,
    Just wanted you to know that this method worked! I had to go out of town and was worried about the light. As I left the gas station, the light went off.
    Thanks for your input! I'm happy again!
    Loangirl 1
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Hey, that's great! Happy motoring!
  • well this is the internet and your allowed to make up whatever you want but this a TL forum and not a forum for you to bash the car and and or brag about your new tsx v6 which is even a bigger rip-off than the last generation tl. you don't even have awd for all that $$$$ and 5 adults would be cramped in that little car.

again, i seriously doubt a total stranger insulted you at a gas station. geez, the stories people make up to justify their feeling.
  • gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    As a curent owner of a TLS and TSX I am not making it up. It's the truth. Blieve what you want. Besides the new TSX is just as roomy as the previous generation TL and better looking. Who cares about TL AWD. Have fun replacing those 250K+ for each tire... every 15K. I'll be waiting or the next generation TLS to purchase. Heard from Acura it's on hold due to the economy and re-design. Front end will not be as ugly as the current TL. Supposed to be around 365hp not a whimpy 305 hp like the current AWD. :P
  • i have an 06 TL and my navigatin screen is black and says error does anyone know of anything i can do to fix this.... really cant afford to take it in
  • has anyone experienced navigation issues my screen is black and says error i neeed HELP! please anyone
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Not much you can do without a diagnostic check through the service port in the trunk.

I have heard that in *very* cold weather, the screen may remain dark for a few minutes but will eventually turn on as the car heats up. Any chance of that?

• no it just stays black and says error :-(
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    That's not good. I suppose the dealer could substitute a new DVD and see what happens.

• mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    check and see if the DVD drive door in the trunk got popped open. I had that happen to me once. Closing the door fully solved the problem
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Here's the link: jspagna1, "Acura TL 2009 -" #1533, 15 Dec 2009 5:52 pm.

Folks, let's remember this is the TL Maintenance and Repair discussion, okay? :)
  • I have an '08 TL. I took it into the dealer for "A12" service which involves mostly filter changes (engine and cabin) and the usual oil change. However, for the second time they are saying I need to change my transmission fluid because it is "dirty" (they "diagnosed" this about 10 minutes after I left the dealer so the only thing they could have done was check the dipstick). The car has 24K on it and the manual doesn't recommend a change until 60k unless the car is driven under extreme conditions. I checked the dipstick and the fluid is bright red and clear. I think they are trying to get more $ out of me because they changed the oil on a $19.95 coupon. Is there any benefit (other than to the dealer) of changing the tranny fluid now or should I stick with what the manual says.
  • It's a bit early to do a transmission flush. The dealership must be hurtin' for cash. I'd stick with the manual.

Here's my maintenance schedule, although, I'll admit it's on the compulsive side. But if you ever wanted a used car, my car would be the one you'd want :

Fuel Induction every 15,000 miles-30,000 miles or 1 year - DEALER ONLY
    Fuel Induction tx requires a special machine ONLY AT DEALER
    Fuel induction uses BG 44 (stronger than CF5)
    Fuel Injection tx is just a bottle of BG CF5 into gas tank every 7,500 miles
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Repair-Prices:-Fuel-Injection-Services,-Are-They-W- orth-It?&id=300855

BG Frigi Clean - kills mold, $40 - do Annually
    bottle comes with hose and screws
    injected thru AC exhaust
    dealer wants $120
    you can do it for $30 labor and $40 bottle with independent mechanic
    make sure mechanic gives it 20 mins to dry out the foam
    do the FrigiClean before you add new internal cabin air filter so that your old filter can collect the mess

Radiator Flush every 20,000-25,000 if lots of stop and go or every 2 years
    - 2 bottle of coolant (antifreeze) + BG kit

Power Steering Flush - every 25,000 - 30,000 (3 bottles) or every 2 years

Transmission Flush - every 30,000 or every 2 years - DEALER ONLY
    - 15 quarts + BG additive
    - or 4 quarts if drain and fill only

Air Filter and Internal Cabin Filter every 12,000-15,000 miles or once/twice per year (depends on your environment and driving)

Spark plugs - every 50,000 miles for regular plugs, or every 60,000 - 100,000 with Iridium or Double Platinum (labor $200, plugs $200) - Independent Mechanic will not allow you to buy plugs and bring it to their shop b/c of liability

Car Battery - every 3-7 years, check readings at each oil change, most places would say on average 3 years is best

Alternator - every 5-7 years

Starter - every 7-10 years

Wiper Blades - annually

Timing Belt - every 100,000 miles or 7 years, may want to replace water pump when you replace the belt - best to do with Dealer for peace of mind

Brakes - every 40,000 miles, will need new ceramic brake pads from Acura
    best to buy new rotors (3rd party ok) instead of resurfacing the rotors
    ideally to get new rotors at each brake change but ok if you pass 40,000 and do it at 80,000 miles

Brake Flush - every 30,000 or when brakes are being done - DEALER ONLY

Suspension - dependent on driving conditions

PCV Valve - at 30,60, and 90,000, $140, helps engine to breathe

rotate tires every 6,000 miles
  • With the dealer telling you that it needed changed and if it isn't done, they could screw you on the guaurantee if the need ever arose. I personally would have it changed by a 3d party and keep the receipt.
    Here is my maintenance schedule for my 2000TL that I drove 70K over 8 years:
    Change oil and filter every 3 to 5000 miles at the local Honda garage
    Blow out the air filter every year with compressed air, never replace it.
    Cabin filter....what is that?
    Chance tranny oil....never
    Change brake fluid and drain....what for?
    Rotate tires every 5000 miles
    Spark plugs...designed for 100K, why change them.
    Brakes..I myself put on Brembo rotors and pads at 65K because we were going on a 2400 mile vacation. Pads were only half worn.
    Take it to the dealer for anything....never except for tranny recall.
    I sold the 2000 to my Grand Daughter and she has put an additional 15K on it and it runs like a top.
    The 2008 TL is 1 1/2 years old and just turned over 10K. Only maintenance to date was oil change and filter at 7000 at the local Honda garage.
    Taking it to the dealer.....probably never.
  • I'm no transmission expert, but if the manual doesn't call for it *AND* you think it looks relatively clean, I would take it to a local (trustworthy) transmission shop and ask them to check it out. If they agree with you, don't change it. My last three vehicles have all exceeded 100,000 miles and I only took them to the dealer for recall or (free) warranty work. I'm currently at 54,000 miles on our 2005 TL.

By the way, I inquired about snow tires in an earlier post. I purchased Blizzaks and new rims on TireRack.com. They are INCREDIBLE! It feels like I'm driving an all-wheel-drive car now. And the new rims look awesome; I actually like them much better than the OEM rims.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    I have a 2005 Acura TL and the cover plate to the non-moving part of the door handle of my rear passenger side door fell off. If you know the door design....there is a cover plate that doesn't move...but just an aesthetic cover to make the handle lines flow better. So on the rear passenger door...it is to the rear part of the handle.

Lucky for me...it fell off when I was washing my car...so I still have the cover.

The big question for everyone here.... How the heck do I reattach the cover???? I tried to do it...but I can't seem to figure out how to properly mount it so it won't fall off.

Help!!!!!