Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hello all
    i have an '05 TL that i bought new. Its been a terrific car overall, but I've got 95k on it now and several of the lighted controls on the dash and steering wheel are no longer illuminated. The controls work fine, but they are no longer lit. Notably, 2 of the 3 cruise control buttons on the right side of the steering wheel, the phone call hangup button on the left side of the wheel, passenger airbag light on the dash, the trunk release button, and the max (light) button. Plus a couple others!! Are other owners experiencing this problem? I took it to the dealer and they want about $450 to fix all of these lights. I am wondering if I can do some of them myself. Any guidance would be appreciated!
  • Hello, the compressor on my 2004 TL seems to be kicking on more than usual regardless of whether the AC or defrost is on, has anyone encountered this? Also the climate control is acting strange where the passenger side blows cold air even when set at 75 degrees unless its set to the upper vents only (rather than uppper and lower). Thanks for any thoughts!
  • camoncamon Posts: 98
    I have had cold air coming from the upper ducts on 2 Acuras (2000+2005) with manual heat/ac controls on a few occassions. I have'nt a clue what causes it.

On both I turned off the AC switch, turned the heat to maximum and blower to maximum (with the car warmed up) and then cycled through all of the various vent position "modes" very slowly several times. The problem went away on both cars. No more cold air.

I had the 2000 into the dealer to check and they could not find anything wrong.

Good luck with yours.
  • Thanks - that's been my experience as well. Toggling through the modes to various combinations of the dual zone climate control seems to correct the issue.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,150
    interesting. I just had to take my 2000 into the Honda dealer due to no heat. DId screw around with the controls for a while and did not get it to generate heat. Hope I did not miss anything!

repair was to replace "hot water valve and cable". No clue what that actually is, but it now has heat.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited December 2011
    My guess is that if you got no heat at all from any ducts, then it could have been the heater valve you had replaced (especially if your work order shows that they had to add coolant to your system . . . as I best recall removal of the valve that actually diverts the hot water flow can cause some loss of coolant on many vehicles).

The instances I ran into involved primarily getting cold air through the upper cabin ducts even with the heat on and outside vents closed.
    sounds right, since they also replaced a cable to go with it, and my son said it indicated coolant (not sure if replenished or replaced).

Ticks me off though, that I just had the coolant changed in the summer, if they did it again now!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    I have a 2006 TL( parchment seats) with 80,000 miles. The leather on the driver's side is crazed. In addition, I found a slit in the leather of the back seat. (I'm assuming from a car seat that someone put in there.) The tear is making me crazy! And I imagine the front seat will eventually crack open if I don't do something about it.

What are my options?

Thanks.
    duct tape always gives a nice, classy look.

Or take it to an interior shop. They might be able to repair. Beyond that, seat covers or the really expensive option, have them re-skinned.

• Hi. I have a 2008 TL that I've repeatedly treated and conditioned the seats with the products Acura sells for cleaning and conditioning, and there is discoloration that seems to be getting harder to keep off the seat (driver side). Wearing jeans and other dark colors rubs the dyes into the seat, as I was told, no matter the cleaning and conditioning. Discussed this issue with the maintenance rep. last week and was given the suggestion to buy a spray bottle to add a dime-size amount of Ivory Liquid (for dishes) into warm water; lightly spray an area and use a soft-bristle brush to lightly scrub the seat; don't soak the seat. Use a soft cloth to remove dampness, as I go along; let the seat dry thoroughly. Then, treat with leather conditioner purchased at Acura. It seems that the product used to clean the seat pushes the dyes further into the leather! Had I known that, I would never have purchased the taupe interior! Otherwise, I was told to look for "after-market" seat covers. Don't know if this is any help; hope so, anyway.
  • Previously I had black leather so I didn't have much trouble with fading colors but the TL I have now has light gray seats. I really like Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner. A trick I learned working at a dealership in college is to use steel wool and glass cleaner as the cleaning method. Sounds scary, but obviously you're not "laying into" the leather while cleaning, but you do loosen up a lot of the dirt. I recommend Sprayway glass cleaner - its amonia free and the best in my opinion. So, first spray on the glass cleaner, scrub lightly with the steel wool, then dry off with a cotton cloth. Then apply the Lexol leather conditioner. Seems to keep the seats strong and comfy.
  • Hi! Thanks! I've never heard of the Sprayway Glass Cleaner, only Windex. Where can I buy that product? I (my daughter) cleans the seats, conditions them, etc., and uses Lexol and the other product Acura sells, so, I'm familiar with those. Since "she" drives the car more than I do, she has to keep it clean. lol Thanks, again, for your advice. "Hurry up" and tell me where I can buy that product. :o)
  • nmsgnmsg Posts: 39
    Does anyone know of a good and cheap online place that I can get an air filter for my 08 TL? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    If you want an OEM part, there are a few places online you can google. The only one I am familiar with is handa.com.

I just use an aftermarket one (such as purolator) and you can get that anywhere.

• Well I get Sprayway at Costco and it comes in a 4-pack. If you don't have a Costco nearby you might look it up online. Its in a blue can and works great!
  • This problem has been noticed since purchase, I've asked dealer and they suggest Its the key turning too far thats making the start up lag/drag instead of starting right up.
    The engine feels like it chokes before it starts up.
    I have used some fuel injector but that didnt change much. Id like to resolve this problem shortly. Everyone I show it to has a different opinion. Car runs great, been driving it for about 8,000 miles now wit this problem, so it seems to only be at ignition

I drive 2007 Acura TL with only 30,000 miles on it

Any help would be nice!
    any chance the battery is weak, and it doesn't have enough oomph to kick it right over?

• I'm driving an Acura TL 3.2, 1999, which I bought new. I just got my Timining belt changed and tune-up for about 1300 upon my request at 99500 miles. Nothing was rotting, I was about 5000 miles early on the change. I did it to protectect from any maintance issues pertaing to those componets while on the road.

I wouldn't think that you would need to change yours so early, unless your car is exposed to harsher climate conditions that may cause early rotting on your timing belt. You need to inspect the belt yourself to determin if it is rotting.
    Thanks for the timing belt info. I have a 2000 TL and was curious about the wear due to age alone.
  • appellofappellof Posts: 54
    Does anyone have experience with the engine repair? My daughter just bought one and her boyfriend decided to try to fix it, and, well he ended up destroying it. I don't know if he cracked a head or just blew a head gasket. There is a bleeder port on the engine cooling system and I am wondering if the pressure is supposed to be bled out of the cooling system prior to driving. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Daniel