Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Well, I received the phone call from my dealer explaining that my 03 TL S, has been recalled because of the tranny. Seems like second gear isn't getting enough "oil" so, they have to install a pump?? Anyway, they will give a loaner and have the car for a couple of days. The car drives fine (24,000miles) and I haven't noticed any problems but, they want to be on the safe side...more power to them.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    Generally I am very happy with the Bluetooth feature. A weird problem happened yesterday. When I returned to my car after about 4 hours, it showed no phone was paired. After I shut off the car and restarted it, it was back to recognizing the phone. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm using the Sony-Ericsson T608.
  • rsreenirsreeni Posts: 1
    I recently bough an used 2000 Acura 3.2TL with 495xx miles on it. Now, the Side Airbag light comes up and stays on. Do I have to get Dealer to fix it ? I tried adjusting the seats and doesn't help. If I sit in the passenger seat, the light turns off.Any help is appreciated.Thanks, Sreeni
  • I went online to do research on recalls and the TL has been recalled for transmission probs from 2000-2004! I want this car so bad it hurts, but I can't disregard this terrible history. Honda seems to be falling apart.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.c- fm

Use the right side box and search vehicle.
    You can even read the official letter Honda sent to its dealers.

Surprisingly, recalls for BMW and Lexus were small stuff. Infiniti did not fare well. Audi A6 did poorly but S6 had minor recalls. So Audi still looks pretty good.

I'd like to hear everyone else's comments on this.
  • donbldonbl Posts: 42
    If you think Audi's are good, read Consumer Reports survey results on reliability. Solid black circles.

Acura's tend to be half red or solid red.
  • sftroysftroy Posts: 30
    I purchased my 04 TL in Nov (VIN # ...00005xx) and I have similar vibration issues (see my earlier posts). My car vibrates at all speeds after the car has been parked overnight and at high speeds all the time. I parked the car for a week and the vibrations were terrible. I can feel it in the steering wheel, my passengers can feel it and I can hear the thumping sound often. After a long fight with Acura (and the Service Mngr going for a test drive alone), I got new tires and my rims were balanced. Unfortunately, the vibrations continued. I went on another test drive with a Tech, he noticed the vibrations. My rims were slightly out of spec and were rebalanced. I still have vibrations and I'm going f-ing crazy over this. I have Acura Cust Svc involved but if they handle it like the original tires, I'm in for a long, long battle. I have yet to hear back from my dealer and/or Acura on what the next steps are and when they will happen. The vibrations are simply not acceptable and anyone with this problem needs to call Acura and complain. (Note: I was told by the Acura Cust Service person that there is a known harmonic issue at 52MPH with some 04 TLs and that there is no fix for it right now. Great.)

Everyone should also demand that Acura extend the warranty on their 04 TL trannys to 100K like they and Honda have done for other models.

I purchased this, my 4th Acura/Honda product as a replacement for my 03 Accord that had premature transmission failure during the first year (among other issues). I thought that I purchasing a car of superior quality and superior customer service that I could rely on and feel safe in. I'm having second thoughts and it is up to Acura to do the right thing - are you listening???
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    I agree...the TL is a nice car but is not in the same class as BMW or Lexus.

Too many problems... all kinds of rattles and transmision issues for 4 years in a row.

I'll never buy another Acura...nothing but an overpriced honda.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    There are people who specialize in reparing rims

Talk to the dealer...
  • How did you get your dealer to change those awful
    EL42's?
  • I have the same problem. Wondering about that myself.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Posts: 171
    Hello all,

My wife and I have started talking about getting a TL. We are getting tired of the poor reliability of the so-called "American" cars and have heard great things about Acura reliability.

However, after reading some of the messages on this thread I am not so sure! I am very concerned about the transmission problems you guys have been discussing. Sounds like this has been an ongoing problem with honda ATs? If so, does anyone know if they are coming out with a new tranny anytime soon?

Thanks!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    IMO, Honda/Acura are not as bullet-proof as they once were, but still far ahead of anything domestic, or from Europe.
  • Is it me, or does Acura Problems & Solutions have the most threads compared to BMW Problems & Solutions and Lexus threads?

JD Powers award 2004

http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=860&CatI- D=1

I really don't want to buy a Lexus, they're so boring. Why can't Acura get it right?

See the new RL? Looks just like a BMW. First the tail, now the front.
  • I have a Nissan Maxima 1992 that rattles/rumbles the car like an earthquake whenever I am at speeds 45-55

Initially, I thought it was the transmission. But after the mechanic rotated my tires, the problem went away, but only for a few months. Then things started to rattle again. So I decided to buy new, expensive sporty tires. Problem solved? Not quite. Things were ok for a few months, then the rumbles returned. Is it the weight distribution of the car that causes uneven wear in the tires or perhaps the way the tires are unevenly spun by the transmission?

What's my point? If Acura fixed their rattling/vibrations issue with "new tires", what happens when it is time for you to buy new tires? Do you have to buy your tires only from Acura to prevent the vibrations? Will Acura/tire Manufacturer still make these special tires down the road?
  • latexlatex Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a Motorola V525 and having a problem pairing. Can anyone help?
  • another question...do you need to "re-link" the phone every time you turn off the car? i just paired the motorola 710, and left the car. when i used the car next, the phone was not "linked" to the car, and just rang as if it was never paired. I then had to go through the phone connections menu to relink it. is there any easy way to do this?
  • I have a White Diamond Pearl 2004 TL. We purchased the car in May 2004 and already there is a noticeable difference in the color of the doors, hood etc, and the plastic front and rear bumpers. I thought I had seen some discussions about this when I was researching the car. Have others noticed this and have you been able to get anything done about it.
  • I'm kind of shocked by comments on this board (Relax, I'm not here to pick a fight. I'm from a family of Honda owners).

The new TL are great looking cars. I was curious to see what current owners are saying but after scrolling through the last 20-30 postings, I'm not exactly impressed.
  • Does anyone have a sense for how many cars/buyers are affected by the shake/shimmy/vibration problem that occurs at mid/high speeds and is frequently brought up on this forum? Is this afflicting only some cars or is it more rampant and actually a definite design issue? I would bet someone afflicted with the problem may have a sense for how rampant it is. Also, is the vibration significant and VERY noticable? I just got out of a '97 Mustang GT convertible which I really liked, but it did definitely suffer from vibration, especially on rougher roads, due to a host of reasons, including the fact that there was no roof! Quite annoying - definitely the most major flaw in the car.

This is a fairly disturbing flaw, IMO, with one poster claiming that he was told by service that it's a drivetrain issue. Has Acura adressed this? Again, anyone know the frequency of occurance?

Thanks!
    Jack
  • Seems the problem is wider-spread than my local dealer or Acura Customer Service want's to admit. I just had all 4 old PVC tires replaced with 4 new TU2 tires, but the vibration is worse now than before. I've opened a case with ACS. I'm hoping a resolution won't be difficult. I also read my lemon-law handbood, especially the part that says "substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle". I would think if vehicle "A" had a vibration and vehicle "B" didn't that vehicle "B" would have more value. That and if I can't get resolution, every squeak and rattle will go back to the dealer for resolution while I get their loaner car.