Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 99gs99gs Posts: 109
    I had the same problem the week of delivey, middle of December when it got down to +5. Now it works fine so I haven't pressed the issue with the dealer.
  • eglewiseglewis Posts: 23
    I have a 2004 TL, AT with around 10k miles on it. I've noticed for some time now, that when I accelerate, the engine noise is unusually loud. It doesn't blow out my eardrums, but it's noticeable.

Is this what should be expected, or could it possibly be a problem ? Thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 1,613
    "some folks...think cars should be perfect."

Yup, I pointed out with a previous post that some of us are more fussy than others when it comes to cars. That said, after owning 30+ cars and comparing them to the TL, I disagree with both the opinion and tone of your post.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You hadn't noticed the same level of noise previously? Perhaps you are driving the car harder now? We all tend to baby the car when it's new.
  • tlrontlron Posts: 2
    Is there any way to reset the outside temperature gauge, because for some reason it appears the temp. is always about 2c warmer than the actual temperature

P.S. 2004 TL
  • brew99brew99 Posts: 86
    Mine tends to be off by about 4 or 5 degrees celsius. I would have really liked to reset the actual temperature the other morning when it said -22. Plus 22 or about 72F would be nicer.
  • tlrontlron Posts: 2
    So I guess I should be happy with "only" a 2 celsius error margin...lol
    Are you sure the gauge is really off? From my experience, it takes a good 10 - 15 minutes of (city) driving for the gauge to settle on an acurate reading.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    Just curious, while you drive around, how do you know the 'real' temp. is not the temp. displayed?
    On the average 45 minute commute, I'll probably hear the temp on the radio 4-5 times and also pass 4-5 signs that display time and temp. To bobble's point, I have noticed that it can take a little while after starting the car to calibrate but it always seems to be a consistent 4 degrees celsius off the reported actual. Not really a big deal in my opinion and have not asked at the dealer if they can reset it or not.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    "On the average 45 minute commute, I'll probably hear the temp on the radio 4-5 times and also pass 4-5 signs that display time and temp"

Got to be more of a Canadian thing.
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    "but it always seems to be a consistent 4 degrees celsius off the reported actual. Not really a big deal in my opinion and have not asked at the dealer if they can reset it or not."

One word of caution... I'm pretty sure that some cars use this temp sensor to know when to turn on heated mirrors, windshield washer jets, etc. You may want to contact your dealership to be sure this isn't the case with your car before you ignore it.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    I have never known an automobile temperature gage, no matter how expensive the car, to be totally accurate. For those of you that know anything about thermodynamics know that when a car sits in the sun the metal will conduct heat. This will heat up the car and the temperature gage, therefore when you turn the car on the Temp will read a warmer reading then what it really is. When you drive around for a few minutes and air is allowed to circulate around the temperature sensor the temp reading will come down to more closer to actual temp.

Temperature readings from the bank are also inaccurate due to the same principle. Most banks do not set up their sensors properly, therefore the temperature reading is influenced from the sun. I have seen very few bank signs, maybe 10%, that consistently display an accurate reading.

So just like the MPG calculator on the TL, the temperature gage is not an accurate reading, but will give you a pretty good estimation, especially if you give it a chance to equalize.
  • boas13boas13 Posts: 30
    First, I own three Honda products so I consider myself familiar with their level of quality. Second, I would not buy another Honda product based on my experiences with my Acura 2001 TL and 2001 Honda Accord EX-V6. What I want you to know is that a small problem can turn into a big one, even with an Acura. If there is a problem, document it have them fix it. "TLC" stands for a total load of crap. Good luck.
  • nash1nash1 Posts: 1
    i have had my 05 since mid november. i had about 500 miles on my car when it started. i have been to the dealership 3 times already and the keep saying it is my tires. it is not the tires.
  • when i bought my tl in sept, i upgraded the bridgestones to the michelin pilot sport due to all the complaints posted here. so far, the car rides great and no vibrations of any kind. today, i was out in the snow for the first time. there was only about a 1/2 inch on the road. i have the 6spd and BARELY made it up a somewhat short but steep climb towards my house. i was only in 2nd gear and really fighting to get to the top. i thought that the michelins would be fine in the snow, but now i wonder if i need snow tires also?? how is everyone else faring in the snow with this car. i also wonder that since i have to move thru the gears so quickly that i will always have a problem on hills in the snow with this car, regardless of the tires. we live in southeast pa and although we get frequent snow, its not like buffalo!! today, however, we are expecting 16 inches, i worry that i will be stuck here for the next 3 days!!
  • mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    Read about my "experience" from hell dealing with the Bridgestones in the snow and rain after only 13,000 miles:

mdhauke, "Acura TL Owners: Problems & Solutions" #1565, 9 Jan 2005 8:20 pm
  • nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    I live in SE Penna also, so will have to reverse mine out of 12" tomorrow. After living with my car for a while, I'm not sure I can agree about the Bridgestones. They grip tenaciously and give a decent, reasonably quiet ride. They flat-spot a little when cold, but they are a performance tire and round out within a mile or two -- a non-issue. So far, pretty decent in light snow.

Remember snow traction varies tremendously depending on temperature, underlying ice, etc. One storm's no problem, another that looks innocent sends everyone spinning out. I've had an almost stationary car actually slide sideways off the road banking on I-495 in Delaware a couple of years back. A general rule though -- wider tires are trickier in heavy rain and snow.
  • mdhauke,

i did read your message and think that you probably took several years off your life due to stress. i had upgraded my tires specifically because of the terrible reviews on the el42's. i think i had you in mind when i was driving yesterday, fearful that i would slide off the road. i realize the michelins are better than the el42's but dont know if i need to get snow tires to really be able to drive. anyone else??? our area is very hilly which poses a lot of challenges especially with the manual.
  • kssod1kssod1 Posts: 50
    recently replaced my contis CH95 with all season potenza G009s on my 02 jag X-Type 3.0 sport with manual. I can go through just about anything Cleveland winters can throw at me including about 9" yesterday. I really like the TL but after 3 winters with an AWD car, the 3-4x a year you really need it I don't think I want a year round car without AWD
    TL's heated mirrors are controlled by the driver via manual switch. I don't believe there are any heated windshield washer jets (although it would be nice). To mdhauke's post, I have also not seen any car ever get it perfectly right and I don't believe that any system would be reliable enough to serve as the control for any particular mechanism on the vehicle.
  • semezsemez Posts: 36
    Ok...Enough about Outside Temperature gauges some people finicky about their tires squeaks vibrations and rattles. Now for us looking for some good information on Real problems w/ the TL Are there any????....If you really want to know what the temp is outside listen to the radio. If you are going to be driving in snow for a significant part of the year then buy a 4wheeler. But quit bellyaching about a mid size luxury car that was not designed to be a weather station or AWD vehicle... Go buy one there are plenty to choose from.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    Hmmmmmm... Bellyaching on a problems and solution forum. Imagine that.
    Well then the good news is there are no documented "mechanical" problems -- no tranny falling off, no engine fire, no stalling, no brake failure. (I think there have been some reported cases of the car pulling left or right).
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    The last angry man…chill!
  • I bought my 05 TL at a dealer several hundred miles away and drove it home yesterday at the speed limit. Barely used the A/C. When I got home there was coolant fluid leaking. Same thing happened when I drove home 11 mi from work in 50 degree weather. Wassup?
    You sure it was coolant fluid? What color was it?
  • The fluid was clear like water and did not have any detectable smell. Thx.
  • semezsemez Posts: 36
    how about condensation from a/c. only clear substance i can think of. everything else has color.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,708
    definitely condensation. totally normal and not a problem in the least. check out your coolant overflow tank to see what that looks like. In most newer cars, its bright orange (used to be green, but I'm not sure any manufacturer uses the green stuff anymore).

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country