Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• What really makes me angry is how, in June 2004, Honda says that the problem was restricted to a small percentage of its automobiles and that they are doing the recall "acting out of an abundance of caution". They also claim at this time that they have found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars. Honda still continues to deny that this is a real problem, and that nobody's safety is at issue.

This becomes a real safety issue when your transmission decides to shift into second gear when you are traveling 65 mph on the highway, causing you to very quickly slow down to 30 mph with no break lights while in heavy rush hour traffic. I was just about rear ended. Some owners have had accidents because of this defect, and they have pursued legal action on their own.
  • The temp display on my '05 TL/Nav had the same problem about 2 months after I got it. I took it in to the dealer, and now it's been in the shop for 2 days. They had to order the part, and when they got it, turned out to be a bigger part and more involved than anticipated. I believed they said they had to remove the entire instrument panel. Hope this is not a sign of things to come. Will let you know how this turns out after I get the car back.
  • Hi- anyone out there who lives in Northern VA.-please advise me. I am in need of a good auto body repair shop!

Last night,I was pulling out of a parking space in my condo development (trying to avoid the melting snowbank and sign) and hit a fire hydrant! The driver's side rear bumper is dimpled and punctured(the size of a melon)and the headlight above it is cracked, but no metal body damage is done. Basicallly I have to replace the bumper and have it painted, with the rear light replaced. I cringe everytime I look at it. I am new to the area and trying to find an autobody shop that will make it look like new!! Pohanka says they have a collision center, but I'm not sure about them, as I bought my car out of town. If anyone can recommend a good place for me to go, that does a good job on Acura's- I'd really appreciate your advice-especially looking for paint to match the car-white diamond parchment. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
  • tom gtom g Posts: 1
    If you can get to Warrenton, I highly recommend Waterloo Motors. I found them after doing research with a bunch of mechanics and dealership body shop guys who would not touch a big restoration job. They just restored my '88 Landcruiser to like new condition. You can tell a lot from the cars in process & they do everything from exotics to F-150s. Not the cheapest but the best. It is a hike from the DC area but worth it.
  • Just (last night) drove new (2-day old) TL w/ 6-speed and michelin stock tires in Massachusetts snow. My suggested answer to the question, "Do I need snow tires?" is a most emphatic YES. In conditions that were not severe (2 inches of snow, albeit very wet snow), not only did not make it up a relatively short but somewhat steep incline, but after forward motion stopped, actually slid backwards 30 feet (stopped short of trees, thankfully). Never experienced this before, at this place or otherwise. Also, have much experience with this particular incline in all types of snow with other cars equipped with snow tires; specifically, no problems in 1988 Volvo 240 (RWD) with four snows. So, IMO, I need snow tires. Problem here is not finding and paying for the tires but finding and paying for the wheels, particularly for the 6-speed with those front brakes. Today, with snow still on the roads from what I can see, I will be driving the old Volvo.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    To maldorf:

I was not aware of this problem...

I was told that there was a lubrication problem and they were going to add an oil jet to the second gear.

Are you saying that the (04-TL) car transmission goes from 5th gear to 2nd gear by it self?

Is this wide spread?

Thanks,
  • I cannot say for certain that the 04 has the downshifting problem. The transmission seems to have several different issues with it. I have seen postings by people claiming they have had transmissions replaced in their 04's but I cannot recall what went wrong in these cases. The 99 TL that I leased downshifted from 4th gear down to 2nd on its own when it died (was a 4 speed tranny back then).

I found some info on the model years 00-02, but this info is now obsolete. Honda is doing a good job of keeping this all low key. Here is what i found, a list of the problems:

1. Erratic shifting, flare at upshifts, wont move (5/02)

2. The roughness of the third gear clutch steel plates is prematurely wearing the third clutch disks in production and requires a remanufactured transmission

3. ATF leak at axle seals, roaring noise, erratic shifting (5/02)

4. An ATF leak at the axle seals, a roaring noise or erratic shifting can be caused by wear [cut-off in scan], which requires transmission replacement. When the differential carrier bearing get d [cut-off in scan].

5. ATF Leak – If the differential carrier moves around, the axles can exceed the range [cut-off].

6. Erratic shifting – Contamination from the damaged differential carrier bearings can [cut-off] lock-up valves. A common DTC that accompanies damaged differential bearings is [cut-off] system).

7. Transmission noise – Worn bearings allow the differential carrier to move and cause [cut-off] carrier-bearing contact. This often causes noise that has been described as roaring.
  • I cannot say for certain that the 04 has the downshifting problem. The transmission seems to have several different issues with it. I have seen postings by people claiming they have had transmissions replaced in their 04's but I cannot recall what went wrong in these cases. The 99 TL that I leased downshifted from 4th gear down to 2nd on its own when it died (was a 4 speed tranny back then).

I found some info on the model years 00-02, but this info is now obsolete. Honda is doing a good job of keeping this all low key. Here is what i found, a list of the problems:

1 Erratic shifting, flare at upshifts, wont move.

2. The roughness of the third gear clutch steel plates is prematurely wearing the third clutch disks in production and requires a remanufactured transmission.

3. ATF leak at axle seals, roaring noise, erratic shifting (5/02)

4. An ATF leak at the axle seals, a roaring noise or erratic shifting can be caused by wear [cut-off in scan], which requires transmission replacement. When the differential carrier bearing get d [cut-off in scan].

5. ATF Leak – If the differential carrier moves around, the axles can exceed the range [cut-off].

6. Erratic shifting – Contamination from the damaged differential carrier bearings can [cut-off] lock-up valves. A common DTC that accompanies damaged differential bearings is [cut-off] system).

7. Transmission noise – Worn bearings allow the differential carrier to move and cause [cut-off] carrier-bearing contact. This often causes noise that has been described as roaring.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,590
    Hello, Rufust:

Similar deal with my TL/Auto/Bridgestone EL42 tires. So far the TC/VSA/ABS have kept me going but I've been very disappointed in the (lack of) snow traction of these all-seasons. I guess they're really three seasons!

I haven't slid like you have (glad no damage to car or driver), but I imagine the Michelin's on the 6MT are summer tires? (not all season's), which are a disaster in the snow.

Good luck, you can use the tirerack.com to research snows/wheel packages.

Where'd you buy your TL? Acura of Boston or Clair?

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• Laurasdada,

Thanks for the reply. They are all season tires, not summer tires. I have checked out tirerack.com and acura of canada websites. Both have alternatives, none of which is cheap (given the cost of alloy wheels, but I will probably just have to do it).

One alternative suggested by my salesperson (Acura of Auburn; his initials are RV, best car salesperson I have ever dealt with) is to find a 16" steel wheel that would fit. The steel would be better for the bumps of winter and cheaper, while the 16" size would enable me to use a higher and narrower (as opposed to wider and low profile) snow tire for the car, which is supposed to provide better snow traction. Do not know whether I could find such a wheel and, if it would fit over those brembo brakes on the MT.

Will let you know.
  • nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    I have posted several times about my 6 speed 2004's steering issues. It tends to drift to the left, and steering effort to the right is considerably higher than to the left. To the left the car almost "falls into" the turn, but to the right you have to fight the car. On a long drive my right shoulder aches from holding the car in balance, especially if heavy traffic forces me into the left lane for long periods. Here's a follow-up.

So far the car has been realigned twice, and the alignment is within specs. Tires have been rotated and checked on a new precision balancing machine the dealer is evaluating; the machine evidently checks for both balance and asymetrical pulling tendency in the tires. The car's been been back to the dealer four times.

The car still drifts left and, more importantly, the steering effort issue remains unresolved. The Acura rep has driven the car, and states that nothing is wrong in writing (even though he acknowledged the drifting issue during a test drive). All dealer documentation states that nothing was found, but on the phone the service manager stated that he had to be careful what he said, but in his professional opinion the power steering rack should be swapped out and failing a solution there, the vehicle should be replaced. The next day the same manager left me a voicemail stating the party line, that nothing could be done and the car was within spec. I also got a voicemail from the Acura area rep stating the same. The problem now rests with the Acura customer service people.

I'll post again as developments occur.
  • I received my 2004 Acura TL in Nov 2003. Immediately had whining in the 20-25 and 40-50 mph range and a deep roar/vibration in the 50-60 mph range. The dealer replaced the transmission immediately with no discussion. While the new transmission is better, the car still exhibits the same general condition as before. And it has remained a very irritating experience. While I have not pushed the dealer on this particular problem, I have had the motor mounts replaced, with no help, and a set of tires at 16K due to rear end going out of alignment(they said I hit something-never done that before in my life-72 yrs). If Acura's are going to continue to have this problem I might have bought my last Acura.
  • laurasdada, the Bridgestone EL42 tires have NO traction in the snow. These tires do not work very well in the cold, even at temperatures just above freezing.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    Well, they don't when they are more then 20% worn. I almost killed myself in the snow on those because I already had 12,000 miles on them.
  • Hey guys,

I replaced my tires this week on my 1999 TL (45,000 miles) with Kuhmo's 716 but I'm still having the same problem which I thought would be corrected with the new tires.

Between 55mph-70mph the steering wheel vibrates consistently. I believe this issue has been addressed before and if I'm correct is just inherent with the car?

Over 70mph the ride does smooth out. However, the vibration does come back every minute or so. It's like a wave (sorry for the bad analogy these days). I thought this issue would be corrected with the new tires and at least a little improved between 55-70.

Can anyone shed any light as to why this happens? Thank you!

Mark
  • klee3klee3 Posts: 55
    My 2005 TL has 550 miles on it. I've heard different mileages when people get the first oil change done. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    Let the maintenance minder do all the thinking. That's what it's there for.

Why would you change oil at only 550 miles anyway?
  • rickoricko Posts: 22
    Since Acura has refused to recall or do anything with the defective torque converter in my own 04 TL, which is what is causing the vibration problem, per Acura District Manager for my area, in the 04 and the 05's ,I have hired attorneys to pursue a class action lawsuit against Acura.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    Good for you!

I have the same problem (04 TL vibration in 5th gear at 45 to 64 mph). I spoke to the district manager who told me the vibration (harmonic vibration) is a characteristic of the car. He went on to say that the characteristic was corrected on the 05 models. I don’t know if that’s true. Does the 05 do the same thing?

He also told me the Acura engineers are working to correct the characteristic or problem in the 04 model. I think it’s funny that they are working to correct something that they say is not a problem. Do they really think a jury is going to buy into that?

I have asked for an arbitration hearing to see if they will replace or refund my money. I’m not too optimistic so I have spoken to a very large Lemon Law Firm. They advised me to take it back to the dealer three times for documentation purposes and then I’ll file a lawsuit to recover my money. I don’t want another Acura TL.

How is the class action suit going to work? If it does not interfere with my lemon law suit, I will join the class action suit.

PS: There is evidence that Acura knew about the problem when they sold us this defective car I believe that’s called fraud.

Tell me more about your plans and also let me know what you know about the vibration problem. I live in the Phila PA. Area.