Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    I haven't noticed any flat spotting either. Perhaps because I am on the West Coast and in a warmer climate?

Either case...I am going with the Michelins in the future.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I have always had good luck with Michelins and highly recommend them.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,629
    My major issue with the Turanzas are their very poor snow performance. I believe that mine do flat spot. I will run with them 'till their time has come, then switch to something else. I'll probably use Tire Rack and these forums for ideas.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

I was in the Central Valley in CA and it was hot (105), and the TL AC did not do a very good job. My '96 Camry had a much better and cooler AC. Anyone living in Phoenix or Vegas should forget about the TL. :cry:
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    here in FLA it gets hot, too, and my TL always cools things down quickly. Try opening all the windows by holding the "unlock" button down to release some of the hotter air inside. It's not unusual for my car temp control to read 95 in the shade or 110 in the sun. It still finds a way to keep me confortable.
    My Camry shot out cold air imediatly, my TL doesn't, it really is a big negative. I live in San Francisco, this is not a problem, but I still advise people in Phoe or Vegas to buy a Camry or Lexus for strong AC.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,629
    Here in Boston, we've had a stretch of the 3H's, my TL CC set to 72-74 degrees has had no problem keeping me comfy...

Car and Driver's latest issues compared a bunch of exotics I can't afford (unless Frisco adopts me...) and one of the complaints with the Aston Martin DB9 was weak AC. Yet if FriscoNIck would buy me one, I would still graciously accept it weak AC and all.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• armandarmand Posts: 178
    Have you tried to manually increase the fan speed (take it off Auto) - it makes a big difference in how fast the car cools.
    LOL :P

I only adopt women. ;)

The weak AC in the TL is stunning compared to my old Camry. Yes I have turned up the fan to full blast, and still weak cooling. I love my TL, just not in hot weather. :cry:
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,589
    You know, the a/c is not one of my complaints with the TL. It actually freezes me out (set @74 degrees) with Vegas heat.

Is your a/c malfunctioning?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    Thank you for your reply.

How much are they and how long will they last?
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    I put Continental Extremes on my '04 TL and like them a lot.
  • 105 wow.

The hottest temp we have had this summer was 102. The TL did fine.

I prefer the way the TL gently approaches cooling off the interior instead of the arctic blast that comes out of most cars. Is this what you are complaining about?
    Yes, this is my compaint. I was born and raised in San Francisco, and the temps here are cool, almost all year. Sunny California, San Francisco is NOT. So when driving in hot weather I want an arctic blast. :P
  • jlb5jlb5 Posts: 5
    I just purchased my 05 TL in March and I love it. I just took it in for the 7500 mile service and had problems with vibrations after i left. I took it back to the dealership to determine what the problem was. I was told I had 2 wheels that were damaged. One needed attention that day but I am holding off on replacing the 2nd one for now. I can not believe how weak these rims appear to be. I do not purposely drive down the road looking for pot holes but at the same time, it should be able to take some dumps. I have already paid $320 for 1 new Acura rim but I'm not sure I really want to invest another $320 in a second rim to replace it if the Acura rims are not better than this. Has anyone else had problems? Thinking of buying after market rims instead of Acura's.
    I purchased my TL with Nav online and had great success. I enjoy my Nav and I use it more than I ever thought I would.
    Help me understand please.

Before you went in...no vibrations. After you went in for service...vibration and bent rim? :confuse:

What the heck was done during your servicing? I'll make sure not to pay extra for that at my Acura dealer.
    Yes...no vibrations before going in. Once the service was done which include tire rotation came all the vibration. They never noticed the bent rims on the original service it was only after I brought it back I was told that rotating the tires would cause the vibrations if there were damage to the rims. Okay, fine I guess I can live with that but what concerns me is that I have never had a car have rims mess up like these and I don't drive it any differently. Just seems to me these rims are not as good of quality which is disappointing. Other than the rims though, I love my car and have had no other problems and of course they aren't covered under any warranty.

Nothing extra done...just appears to be poor quality rims.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    just appears to be poor quality rims

Appears to be poor quality service!
    I am not doubting your assessment...but I am not getting how there was no vibration before going in for service.....then POOF...vibration.

My thoughts.... It could very well be that once your tires were rotated...the tires coming from the rear into the front were either out of balance or they had a flat spot. That does happen and that is why it is important to not only rotate tires...but to have them balanced.

Did the servicer tried to balance the tires or even 'shaved' the tires or even tried to 'un-rotate' (as in returning the tires to their original positions) before selling you rims?

Also...in regards to bent rims. Generally pretty darn tough to damage a rim from hitting something straight on. That is running over stuff at high speeds. The major cause would be by driving over major potholes...which you would definitely know of. Other cause would be when you are hitting the curb hard when parking.

Any case...I am not questioning you...but wonder if the servicer did indeed troubleshoot correctly. Anybody else had bent rims out there? I have had five Acuras and not one....and very easy to get the wheel balanced.
  • semezsemez Posts: 36
    Has anyone tried to use a lower octane gas in their 05 TL? If so what were your experiences?
    Did the servicer tried to balance the tires or even 'shaved' the tires or even tried to 'un-rotate' (as in returning the tires to their original positions) before selling you rim?

No they didn't do any of this. They took me to see the car and show me the wheel. The car was lift in the air and with the tire spinning their was a complete wobble while the tire was turning. They told me then my rim was bad and most of my vibration was coming from this particular rim. They then showed me the other rim but said I could hold off and see if the vibration was still too much. If it was then to come back, if not then I would need to replace that rim the next time I had my car serviced and tired rotated because the 2nd rim is currently on the back but will move to the front.

I'll admit, I have some knowledge of cars but not the specifics so maybe I should have made them do those things had I know about them. I wonder now if I just got ripped off.
    Shhhs...I hate to say I don't think it was the rims....even when they did put the car on the lift and spun the tire...an out of balanced wheel will flutter. (know that all tires will go out of balance over time, wear, and mileage...just because they were balanced once doesn't mean they stay true for life. Buy tires from Costco...and they will rotate and balance for free)

Sounds like you replaced one rim and still have another that has a slight flutter. Go ahead and get that wheel balanced and I am sure you will see an improvement. Remember....even if you get it rebalanced...it will not be absolutely stone perfect...there will always be a slight movement.

Also...another thing to keep in mind for the future...since we are talking about maintenance. When replacing brakes in the future...don't just change the brake pads...but have the rotors resurfaced. Reason is that if there is an imperfection on the rotor...it will immediately create an issue where you will feel a vibration from etching an imperfection on the brake pad surface.

You might want to consider taking your car to an alternate Acura dealership for future servicing. They aren't that great at troubleshooting.
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I will have to go to this dealership unless they continue to with these bad patterns. When I purchased the car in March I went ahead and paid for all my service up front for the first 45.000 miles. I was trying to avoid unexpected situations and thought it would be easier to just pay it all up front. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea either. I thought I finally got the car I have been looking at for a year. It's the nicest car I have ever had and I really wanted to take good care of it. I do drive alot of miles so I purchased the extented warranty and maintance program up front. You spend this kind of money you want to take care of it especially since cars depreciate enough on there own. I do believe though for the balancing of the tires I'll take it somewhere else just to get another opinion since I'll have to pay for it anyway.
  • ceraulicerauli Posts: 44
    I have been using 89 octane in my 04 TL. I have found that it idles smoother with the 89 and the svcs manager said that running it on 89 is absolutely fine to do. Hope this helps! :shades:
    My '04 knocks with 89 octane, loud and clear with a window down, not heard with the window up.
  • hutershuters Posts: 7
    First, I must say that I LOVE THIS CAR!! 04TLw/Nav. 22,000+ miles @ 26mpg ... what's not to like.

One thing that doesn't seem to work correctly is the outside temperature sensor, or some part of that circuit. Mine consistantly reads 10+ degrees high. Today, after about 30 minutes on the highway it was still reading 95 degrees when the OAT was 83 degrees. Any suggestions? Dealer tells me this is within acceptable limits, but I've never seen another car that was this far off.

Steve
    Easy fix...which I am surprised the dealer didn't suggest.

Look at your owners manual...and you can adjust and recalibrate your temp readings. If you are consistently 10 degrees off...then adjust your readout by the same then you will be all fixed-up and ready to go.
    Easy fix...which I am surprised the dealer didn't suggest.

Look at your owners manual...and you can adjust and recalibrate your temp readings. If you are consistently 10 degrees off...then adjust your readout by the same then you will be all fixed-up and ready to go.

Glad you are enjoying your TL.
    "......it was strill reading 96 degrees when the OAT was 83 degrees."......"Dealer tells me rhis is within acceptable limits, but...."

Hmmmm, sounds like another version of, "that's normal" which Acura dealers are trained to say (LOL).