Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What year Forester do I need?

goldensmom1goldensmom1 Member Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in Subaru
I need as much space as possible for my multiple big dogs, but they need to not have to jump high to get in or out! (The 2013 I measured is almost as high for my dogs as my current "big" SUV!)

I should probably be looking for a minivan, but I REALLY don't want to, plus I've always loved Foresters, so what year Forester should I look for?

Thanks!

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2015
    Why not get the one you like and keep a ramp in the back for the doggies?

You can get fancy ones for ~$100 or make your own with a piece of plywood and some carpet.
  • goldensmom1goldensmom1 Member Posts: 3
    I actually have a ramp, and I've also made 2 sets Styrofoam "steps" (2" thick Styrofoam pieces I cut then glued together and that'll hold at least 200 pounds), but my 4 Golden Retrievers don't like using any of them at all, and other dogs often simply WON'T use them when I'm transporting them... (Not only that, but I have to "climb" into the drivers seat on my Nissan Xterra, and with a bad back, and both knees WAY past due for surgery, it's quite painful even for ME to get in and out!!)

Needless to say I have to get something else soon, and I've always loved Foresters! Until now I was only looking for one with a minimum cargo space "requirement" (of being able to fit 5 large dogs and then one can ride up front), but I've decided that realistically over the last year, I RARELY transport more than 4 at a time (and only on a rare occasion maybe 5) so now my cargo space requirement only needs to give me enough room for 3 or - RARELY 4 - Golden Retriever-sized dogs (AND be low enough that most dogs can get in and out without assistance, when necessary...) When I looked at a clients' 2013 Forester, the cargo area looked like it was probably big enough, but it was almost as high off the ground as my Xterra!!

In case you're wondering, I own a dog daycare & boarding facility, and if a dog isn't doing well, or needs lots of meds that I want to personally give them, then those are the "other" dogs I occasionally have to transport back and forth with me...

Can anybody help me out with suggestions on what year I should even TRY to look at to see if it meets what I need or not?
    edited October 2015
    Well, if you are sold on Subarus, my old Outback was lower than my sister's '05 Forester. I've driven a new Outback and it's still lower than my sister's Forester. But they aren't so easy for us "stiffer" people to get in to.

This is when I tell you to get a minivan. I haul non-doggie junk in mine all the time and having the lower liftover height really helps. And most people can just slide into the front seat.

SUVs usually have an AWD or 4WD option and that makes them higher off the ground. The new Subarus have grown so much, the Forester really is a SUV now. In the old days, they were more like wagons.

Some hatches with folding rear seats may work for you but four goldens is a lot. Maybe check out a Kia Soul.
  • goldensmom1goldensmom1 Member Posts: 3
    That's another part of my problem is that I need AWD or 4WD, and most minivans don't have that! My mom has a minivan, and sure - it's great for the dogs, but I HATE driving it because it feels like I'm sitting an inch above the ground (I've never driven anything BUT an SUV in my life!).

When you say the older Foresters were more like wagons, how much older is that? I.e. when did they "turn into" SUV's??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    1997-2002
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760

That's another part of my problem is that I need AWD or 4WD, and most minivans don't have that! My mom has a minivan, and sure - it's great for the dogs, but I HATE driving it because it feels like I'm sitting an inch above the ground (I've never driven anything BUT an SUV in my life!).

When you say the older Foresters were more like wagons, how much older is that? I.e. when did they "turn into" SUV's??

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey , and with the power driver seat set to its highest setting, I can sit taller like in an SUV.
    edited October 2015
    Well, my sister's '05 Forester still seems pretty wagony to me.

I guess the Sienna still comes in an AWD flavor but that requirement does limit your choices.

The best dog car ever was the Honda Element. They don't make 'em anymore but they are out there, and they had an AWD model.

And yeah, power seats can help, got that in my Grand Caravan.

VW has some good deals right now and the Tiquan shows up on a lot of best cars for dogs list. Might want to check one of those out. And maybe try a new Outback and see if it's high enough for you.