Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 vs. Acura TL

gregory28gregory28 Posts: 174
edited March 21 in Acura
Just wanted to get your opinions about these 2 sedans. Here's what I think so far:

G35 has AWD version coming out and it'll handle in snow better. It has better color selection.

2004 TL is an Acura and has better reliability record. I would buy the car loaded with options and the Acura would be less expensive. Lumbar support is better and there's a bigger trunk. Acura dealer is much closer to my house.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• oniaconiac Posts: 13
    greg.. There's a lot more you have to consider than what you've mentioned. Funny is while typing this they showed a 04 TL commercial. My take is the TL looks significantly nicer & sportier. I find the rear of the G35 ugly, those tailights look funny. If you're a person who keeps his cars longer than 3 years you might again want to go for the TL. I once had a 96 Pathfinder, the 1st & only car I leased, hated it's quality. It actually was the best overall performer in its segment but it's quality & reliability is terrible. I don't think that has changed much as I've read from Nissan/Infiniti postings, etc. The plus side of the G35 over the TL w/c may be very significant is that G35's are normally RWD so it will definitely be a better handler than the FWD TL. With the hp these cars possess, FWD cars are not a car I myself would like to buy. I'd rather have a 240-250 HP RWD car over a 270-280 HP FWD car. Now if you're concern is the snow & you think that AWD is gonna be better than a FWD vehicle then get the G35 AWD. This will be a tough choice.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I think unless you regularly go up to the ski resorts, then FWD will get you through almost any urban condition. I think the G35 is a little roomier. I've never really liked the G35 styling (inside and out), and I think it will look dated in a couple of years. Price-wise, I anticipate the AWD version of the G35 will be significantly more than a fully-loaded TL.
  • I personally prefer the styling both interior and exterior of the TL much more. I've never been a fan of the G35 sedan. The G35 coupe however is hot. After having driven the TL yesterday I've decided that I will likely buy that car. I will test drive a few others but I think I will end up with the TL.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    From what I can see, Honda/Acura does not have better reliability than Nissan/Infiniti. Aggregate studies and polls suggest that both brands, along with Toyota/Lexus, are at the top of the pack in terms of reliability. Honda certainly has suffered from major problems (transmissions) and rattles seem to be common in recent Accords.

In any case, I think both the G and the TL are solid choices. Styling is subjective, so that's totally up to you. Interior quality of materials seems to be better in the TL. Interior dimensions are very similar. If you're looking right now, you'll have to pony up the MSRP ($33,200) for the TL. As time passes the TL price will come down. A similarly featured G35 (MSRP $34,100) can be had for about $31,500 right now. Both are good deals.

I've test driven both. The G35 felt a little more sporty and more fun to drive, the TL felt a little more luxurious.
  • The G35's trunk is bigger than the TL's 14.8 cu. Ft vs 12.5 cu. ft.

Also, you say that the reliability for the TL is better. I consider transmission failure a major problem....which the TL has had but the G35 has not. Hopefully, this problem has been fixed with the '04.

The performance of the G35 is better as well but the TL has a nicer interior.
  • The G35 sounds faster but it is not . The TL is a much much better car. The G35 sedan has good space, the G35 coupe is a 2+2 at best. The TLs drive by wire throttle is very deceiving; much faster and smoother than you realize.

And two other big factors: (1)the Infiniti depreciates faster than a rock sinks to the bottom of the ocean and (2) Acura reliability far outlives the Infiniti 5yr 60 warranty
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Acura has better reliability than Infiniti?

Any proof of this midnightcowboy?

My impression is that the 0-60 times will be very similar, neither has a clear edge. The G35 definitely has an edge in handling though.

Acuras traditionally have had better resale than Infinitis. But the G35, at least so far, has solid resale values.

The only things that the TL clearly outshines the G35 in is quality of interior materials and the stereo.

I personally like the design (both exterior and interior) of the TL over the G35, but that is a purely subjective matter.
  • gregory28gregory28 Posts: 174
    I'm amazed at how well-informed you folks are about these cars. Thanks for your input.

I've got brochures on both cars. The G35 trunk is 11.8 cubic feet with a full size spare. The 6 cars on the lot that I saw all came with this. The trunk is 14.8 cubic feet "when" the car comes with a temporary spare. My guess is that this temp spare may be a rare feature since I didn't see a single sedan on the lot with one. The rear wheel drive really cuts into the trunk and the trunk isn't as efficient as the TL because of the wheel wells. A set of golf clubs would have to be layed diagonally or placed through the pass way into the back seat. The TL has an efficient 12.5 feet trunk and a 45" golf club fits "rear wheel to rear wheel".

I've noticed in the postings that people have reported transmission problems with the Acuras. That disturbs me a bit. Consumer Reports makes no mention of these troubles. It gives the Acura TL one of the highest reliability ratings. I realize that anyone can get a lemon no matter what brand one buys, but certain makes increase the likelihood of this not happening. The TL is one of the "CR Good Bets". I've owned 3 Toyotas and 2 Nissans and they've all been great cars. CR does list some Infinitis and Nissans equally favorable. The G35 is too new to rate for reliability. I realize that CR isn't the only source but I tend to give them more credibility because they don't accept advertising. I've often wondered how influenced "Car and Driver" (and other magazines)writers are by very large advertising dollars the car manufactures are spending with the magazine.
  • oniaconiac Posts: 13
    I have a co-worker who has a 2001 CL-S & his trans had to be replaced 3 mos. ago. It took Acura 3 weeks to replace it. I was surprised, but thought it's a 1 in a million case where a Honda/Acura tranny failed, but it seems more of an issue now that I'm hearing it from diff. people. Like Greg said this is disturbing. Well you can ask the Acura folks if it's still the same tranny the old TL/CL has. If the new TL has the same block/engine as the old one & this is just a modified version of the old engine, chances are the trans. is still the same as the old one.
  • I don't think the new TL's transmission is the same as the old TL's. And, the transmission was fixed with the 2003 model. It is not like all the transmissions are failing, it is a limited problem that only a minority of cars are experiencing.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    I don't know why some people still believe Honda/Acura quality is better than Nissan/Infiniti. I read a week ago, Acura slid all the way down to 10th in a JD Power survey. Infiniti is entrenched at No. 2, behind you know who!

A couple days ago, I saw the first TL on the road, going the other way. At first I thought it was the TSX, until the rear end showed up in the mirror. Didn't Acura think of giving the two cars distinguishable front ends?
    Have you seen all the new Nissan models? They all have the same front end AND similar-looking interiors. Or Mercedes. Or BMW. Or Cadillac. Or Volvo. Or Toyota. etc, etc, etc, etc, It's the industry trend. They call it brand recognition. Like it or not.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    The new transmission is not the same as the old model.

I think the G35 is the sportier of the two, but the TL will probably be sporty enough for all but the most daring drivers. The added weight of an AWD system may hinder the G35's acceleration and fuel economy. On the other hand, it should give the G an advantage in foul weather.

If you are looking for a mostly practical car, I'd go with the TL. If you're looking for a toy, the G35 is probably the better choice.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    There's a difference between similar (desirable) & indistinguishable (not so).

BTW, is there a story behind Acura changing its nonenclature (dropping the 3.2), yet again? I'd appreciate a link if you do.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Commenting on an Earlier Message...#14 of 17 Didn't" Acura think of giving the two cars distinguishable front ends? " by bodble2 Oct 20, 2003 (12:54 pm)

Yes...I have noticed that all cars for a particular make/brand do appear to have the same or "VERY" similar front end (grill).

I do not like this industry trend. Each car should have its own "grill". Yes I realize there are some differences...but...in most cases...not many. A similarity would be alright...but what I have seen goes way beyond being similar...

Commenting on an Earlier Message...shown below:

Have you seen all the new Nissan models? They all have the same front end AND similar-looking interiors. Or Mercedes. Or BMW. Or Cadillac. Or Volvo. Or Toyota. etc, etc, etc, etc, It's the industry trend. They call it brand recognition. Like it or not.
    I would classify the front ends of the TSX and TL as similar, and not indistinquishable.
  • Trunk Size: The Trunk size of 14.8 on the G35 is without the full size spare. The full size spare comes only with the winter package. Infiniti does not ship a lot of those vehicles to some sectionso f the country (like where I live, California).

The trunks of the G35 is much bigger than the trunk of the TL when neither has a full size spare. The G35's trunk may not have that much more useable space, given the shape.

Reliablity: I drive and Acura and have been driving Honda products for years. All of my vehicles have been ultra reliable. So, I do trust Honda/Acura. But, the data don't lie with regard to the Infiniti. The G35 is likely to be hyper-reliable too.

Handling: I'm not sure the G35 will handle better. That is just an assumption based on layout (RWD vs. FWD). But, Consumer Reports complained that the G35 suffers from excessive oversteer which makes handling tricky at the limit.

Last issue - ride quality: Honda has never been able to negotiate ride handling compromises. They have vehicles that ride well,and vehicles that handle well. But, they haven't produced many vehicles that do both. I think that drivers are going to find that the base version of the G35 (without the sport package) rides a lot better than the TL, but handles about as well.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    I have driven both cars and G-35 drives and rides like a smaller car. I thought the ride was harsh, bumpy and rough. I thought the 04 TL felt like a much larger car (than it is ) and has a better ride than the G-35, although the G35 may handle better at high speeds b/c of the RWD. Just one man's opinion
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    At first, I had a hard time differentiating between the A4 and A6 from the front. Same with the Jetta and Passat. After a while, my eyes began to pick up the differences.

Right now, it's fairly easy for me to see differences between the TL and TSX. Probably because I've seen so many pics and gone over some of them with a fine tooth comb.
    I still have trouble occasional differentiating between the various MB C, CLK, SL, CL-Classes. Ditto for the A4 & 6 and Jetta and Passat (especially the wagon). I expect the new BMW 5-series to pose similar problems in relation to the 7-series. And not to pick on Nissan, but they could probably graft the nose of the Quest onto the Maxima and most people wouldn't notice the difference.

So by comparison, Honda models are pretty darn distinquishable.
This discussion has been closed.