Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mileage Fraud!! Odometer was rolled back!!! What to do?

12345679»

Comments

• Hey! Don't mess up a good story with the facts.. ;)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Help! I bought a 04 f150 from a dealer in Michigan and was told the truck had a new motor in it and that is why the mileage on the truck was unknown. But they told me there was 43,000 miles on the body and less on the motor. I thought it was a decent deal and bought the truck. Six months later I go to trade it in at a different dealer and they pulled the carfax on it and showed me the mileage went from 181,000 miles after the first owner and then the second owner all of a sudden it has 43,000 miles. I am the third owner. So I went back to the dealer and talked to the manager and he said he cant do anything about it. He told me that a salesman simply wrote down the wrong mileage. What do I do? I payed 10,000 bucks for it and now its worth 2,000 bucks and I still owe $9,000 on it! What can I do???
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    Well, honestly, I don't see the fraud here. They told you it was TMU (true mileage unknown), which comes with a title branded as such, which is why it is worth so little. Whatever mileage figures they threw at you after that mean absolutely nothing. TMU is TMU.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• So is there anything I can do about this? They didnt offer a carfax and didnt say that the odometer was rolled back. Isnt this still fraud?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    Nobody has to offer a carfax, it is up to the buyer to request it or get one themselves.

I would be surprised if the odometer was actually "rolled back" as that is pretty damned difficult, if not impossible, on modern vehicles. In any case, stating it is TMU is all the disclosure I think they need to make.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• CARFAX is often wrong---don't discount that possibility either.

Fraud is mighty difficult to prove---"misrepresentation' might be easier. I'd suggest you see a lawyer about this rather than get legal aid from here---there are too many variables, and we haven't seen the paperwork you signed either. If TMU is scrawled all over it, then you may have no recourse.