Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Personally davecrook I would go with the new vented rotors and ceramic pads. I had a 2001 out last month before I bought my 2002 and the 01 had bad brakes also. I think the warping is goto because of the over heating of the front rotors. Ebay has always been a great source for stuff like that for me. Parts like that are not easily accessable to me because of where I live.

Your welcome.....
  • I have a 02 at 17000 the brakes started shuddering also. at 33000 had them replaced through the TSB and at 53000 same problem. Put power slot cryo rotors and hawk metallic pads on and NOT ceramics. Ceramics do not really start working well until they are heated up enough. Do not waste your money in the stock rotors again. Now at 70,000 miles hawk pads and cryo rotors not one problem.
  • The price i paid for the cryo rotors is 124.00 a rotor and for the hawk brake pads it was 56.00.And then the cost to have someone do them. I did them myself. They are really not that difficult to install. If you put the stock rotors back on or even have them recut you will face the same problem. Read my other post on this topic
  • I have a 2004 Toyota tundra (25000 miles) that makes knocking sound during acceleration. Usually around 4 to 5 thousand RPM. I brought it in 4 times at different places and all the dealership told me it was a gas issue. I use about 4 bottle of fuel cleaner and water separator and issue still persist. Has any body have the same problem or solution.
  • I just had my front ball joints replaced on my 2002 Tundra. It now makes popping
    noises when I,m driving. Does anyone know if this is due to the new ball joints? or
    could the dealer have screwed something else up. I had to take it back a second
    time because they didn't set the toe in right the frist time. I told them about the
    popping noise then, but it is still here.
  • I have a 2002 Tundra with 63,000 miles and it had the same problem this week. It began suddenly, with loss of power and a knocking sound during acceleration. I took it to the local Toyota dealer and they told me it was weak gas, just like your issue. They drained the fuel tank and cleaned out the lines, and I replaced the spark plugs. No change at all. I am taking it back to them in the morning to let them do some more checks. The manager told me that he had seen several similiar problems recently. I will let you know what I find out.
  • I call the headquater and they told me to try a different grade gas. I been trying that and the toyota dealership said they cannot do anything if there is no error code. Please let me know what you find out.
  • Hello all!

My wife called me today and told me that our 2002 Tundra (77000 miles) wouldn't run. She had started home as normal but stopped at a red light. The truck died. She started it back up and everything seemed OK. When she put it in gear is sputters and dies and the check engine and battery lights come on. Neither light has turned on before.

Any ideas on what this might be? I seems to start fine, I can even rev the engine a little in park. But sure enough after putting it in gear it dies.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

R
  • I have a 2004 Toyota tundra dc with a knocking sound during acceleration. Usually between 2 to 4000 RPM. I brought it to the dearship 3 times and they told me to try different gas companys or to run 91 octane. I also notice little metal shavings in my oil, I change my oil every 3,000 miles and after a couple hundred miles I notice little metal shavings in the oil, the dealership tells me not to worry its under warranty. My truck only has 17,000 miles. I get 12 mpg at best and I drive easy.
  • ianm1ianm1 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2003 and I switched to 91 Octane. The noise, however, was only prevalent when I switched to the K & N air intake kit. The extra power is great, but the pinging is annoying with 87 Octane.

I will be raising the issues when I take my truck in for the next service and have the ball joints and now the rear shocks repaired!
  • I was involved in an auto accident two weeks ago. I was sitting at a red light and was rear ended. The trailer hitch of my 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab took the blunt of the force causing both fram members to bend. The insurance company handeling the situation wanted to straighten the frame. Obviously I was not going for this. I have had negotiations for the last tow weeks and they have now agreed to do a total frame replacement since toyota has informed them they would not stand behind a re-bent frame.

My next question becomes how is toyota going to warrant the remainder of my vehicle once this repair takes place? I still have 26K mile remaining on my warranty and don't want to get in a situation where if something goes wrong it is blamed on the repair. I'm currently discussing diminished value with the inssurance company but do not want to be hung out to dry once the repair is completed. My true wishes woulb be for the vehicle to be totaled.

Any suggestions?
  • dockeendockeen Posts: 68
    "My true wishes woulb be for the vehicle to be totaled."

I know what you mean, though funny things happen. Back in 1999, I got a new B3000 4x4 - which, after years of driving a beat up old Citation with no working AC in the south was wonderful. A month after I got it, my wife was coming home from the store when a dude ran a red light, and plowed into her. She was turning left, and he hit her pretty square on the front axle. Knocked the heck out of it. When I got to the scene, I was sure it was totaled.

Naturally the 30 year old "kid" who hit her had no insurance, worked at a car wash, lived with mama....ahhh, the wonders of living in a state that, at the time, did not require insurance.

Anyway, after nearly $10,000 worth of repairs on a $17,000 truck, I got it back. You can look at it and see ifs not quite straight, it has a little "lean" to it. Not horrendus, but noticable if you looked at it from behind. Yes, the put the frame on a straightener.

Now, I mostly did not care about the lean. The fact is that that truck has been the most relaible vehicle I ever had. It now has 117,000 miles on it. Never burned oil, still runs like a champ. I would keep it, even after I got my new Tacoma, but my wife is pushing/forcing me to sell it. I am selling it to a secretary at work for a car for her son.

Wayne
  • i assume your talking about an exhaust leak? exhaust is emissions and waranty on emissions is 8yr/80k miles
  • 12361236 Posts: 34
    Does anybody have advice on removing the TRD stickers off my new Tundra without damaging the paint work?
    Thanks,
  • I have a 2004Tundra Double. Cab. I have recently been having problems with the gas gauge going to below empty when the tanks get to about 1/2. It stays there for a few miles then goes back up to 1/2 and is fine after that. When it is below empty the light doesn't come on. I took it to the dealer and they checked the sensor but found no problem.
    Any one else have this problem or know of a fix?
  • I have a 2000 Tundra AC. My low fuel indicator light stopped working about (2) months ago. I thought it was the bulb and replaced it and it still does not function. This light was my savior because ever since I installed my EL Glo gauges, my fuel gauge has been off. I tried again this past weekend to re-calibrate the needle. I waited until the tank was almost empty and removed the plastic cover to the gauge cluster. I then manually moved the needle to the empty (E) on the gauge. It automatically moves back to the wrong position. I tried this both with the engine running and with it off. Any suggestions? I need one of these to work, either the indicator light or the gauge itself. Both would be nice. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • hi i have the same problem with my tundra cutting out when i put it in gear . it happened once then it has been ok ?? have you found any answers?
  • The company that I work for has approx. 200 Tundra regular cab V-6 trucks(year05-06), All of which you have to slam the doors to shut them. It is very evident that Toyota undersized the purge vents in the cab. Does Toyota have a recall or fix for this problem? It's very aggravating because the cab light stays on and kills the battery.
  • i have a 2001 tundra with 43,000 miles the check engine light went on, i took it to the dealer..it is a rusty gas filler tube.has anyone else had this kind of problem.
    thanks
  • fastfjrfastfjr Posts: 11
    I have had my 05 4WD V8 Access door Tundra since May. I traded my 02 Tacoma in for it. The stereo system SUCKS. Or at least the speakers do. Has anyone replaced their system and or speakers with aftermarket ones? I also installed a K&N air filter (just the filter) about 2 months ago. I now get 17-18 mpg in the city and 22-23 mpg highway. Towing my 4500lb boat and trailer I get about 14mpg
This discussion has been closed.