Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I was removing the factory exhaust of my 2002 Toyota Tundra to install an aftermarket exhaust i purchased. I couldn't disconnect where the muffler meets the catalytic converter. I removed the clamp but the two pipes wouldn't separate. I want to keep the old exhaust and not harm it, so i don't want to cut it. My question is, is it welded together, or just very rusted? And do the two pipes just met or does one go into the other?(I want to know this so if i do cut i don't cut to deep.)
  • The automatic door lock on my 02 tundra doesn't working any more. The factory key fob will only arm or disarm the alarm but it won't lock or unlock the door. I can manually lock/unlock with the key. Also, one strange behavior is that when I'm driving, the truck will unlock the doors if they are lock. This behavior appear to be random, I can't tell when it's going to happen. Any ideas/advice will be appreciated.
  • Whoever said the dealer repaired the exhaust manifolds with 75k...where are you located what is the dealership...my dealer is telling me 5/yr 60k miles(for a 2001 tundra)...this ticking sound make my sequoia look like crap.
  • Anybody know what the peck, peck, peck sound is when vehicle is started up (cold start only)? '04 Tundra.

Each winter it gets louder....and the colder it is....the louder it is. It goes away after driving a few blocks but getting louder each year bothers me.

What's the scoop on this? Time to trade-in? Or fill it full of oil additive?

BUDDY
  • This pecking sound may be associated with electrical noise caused by a ground wire attached to the passenger side firewall under the hood....... I learned this tidbit of information and moved the ground wire to another location and alas....no more ticking/pecking noise. Do not know if this is what is causing your noise but is worth a try to fix!
  • Where do you find a copy of the Enhanced Waranty? I have a 02 with only 31K. Check engine lite came on at about 25K. The truck ran fine and everybody said it was common, so I havent bothered with it. I have to get it repaired so I can get an inspection this month and need some ammo when I confront my dealer. I talked to the dealer today and they have the kit with 2 sensors for 225.00 and 195.00 for labor. I havent even thought about warranty covering this. Thanks for the info.
  • gerwangerwan Posts: 3
    I just did the same thing on my 2000 and it was a breeze. It only took about 45 minutes start to finish. Rust may be an issue but on mine everything basically fell out after I removed the clamp and rubber hangers.
  • gerwangerwan Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Tundra and received a notice from the manufacturer about the extended warranty to 75K miles on the O2 sensors. All 4 of mine failed at various points in time, all before 75K. Check with the service department at your local dealership. They should have all the latest service bulletins and warranty notices.
  • i have exactly the same problems in my 05 access cab sr5. i have notice that after coming to a stop at a red light there is sometimes a clunk and the truck surges forward just a little. Also, i noticed that while accelerating downhill(and only downhill)from 3rd to 4th gear, instead of shifting around 2200 rpm as usual, it will rev up to about 3200 rpm and hang there for a few seconds and then shift and then shift again to catch up. i have seen about half a dozen posts dating back to 2002 from people who have had the clunking at a red light. if you come across any more info on this please let me know, i'm not real convinced that these are "normal" which is what my dealer's service tech said.
  • jeff56jeff56 Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Tundra V8. When going between 40-50 and I accelerate lightly, the transmission kicks down, but there is a hard clunking shift. Is this normal or is the transmission about to go? Otherwise it shifts fine. Under harder acceleration it downshifts a full gear with no problem.

Thank you ">
  • I took my Tundra in with a bad O2 sensor. The problem had something to do with the manifold which was replaced under the warranty. Toyota came out with a service bulletin about it some time back. Good luck with that. Now I'm having the same braking vibration problem a zillion other Tundra owners are having.
  • go to the NAV volume page and press the speaker icon
    press the lower left corner of the screen
    press the speaker icon again
    press the lower left corner again
    press the OVERRIDE button on the left column until it beeps and changes color, about five seconds
    back out of the menus
    voila... no gray buttons. until you turn the ignition back on.
  • that little peck peck sound when your truck is cold could very well be an exhaust leak caused by defective exhaust manifolds that toyota installed. i have a 2000 tundra and it had an exhuast manifold replaced at 36000 miles under warranty. now at 70000 miles the other side has gone bad, only 900 dollars to have it fixed. I have bought nothing but toyota trucks and I have to say i think toyota is turning out some low quality vehicles and not backing their products like they used to. :mad:
  • that is exactly what my dealer told me and he said it will cost only 900 to replace ONE manifold I am beginning to think DODGE :mad:
  • First, I do not own a Tundra. I have a 2004 4Runner, V8, SR5. I believe (and I could be wrong) that the engine and transmission are identical in both vehicles. I had the exact same "thump" that you describe. After coming to a stop, at times, it felt as though I got rear ended. This would also happen (again, at times) after I had come to a complete stop and took my foot off the break to start going forward (again, a thump). After reading about similar complaints on the 4Runner forum, I followed the advice of others who sounded like they knew far more about vehicles than I do. I had the dealership lubricate the slip yoke and this completely took care of the problem. Is your Tundra four wheel drive? If so, I would suggest having this done to see if it takes care of your problem. It drove me nuts...and now that it is fixed, I could not be happier with my vehicle. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions about the problem or the service.
  • My 2000 Mazda 4 wheel drive has served me admirably on the steep mountainside roads here in Alaska, and rough construction access drives that I have to go to daily for 6 winters now; but it's getting tired. I'm considering a new Tundra that can take advantage of the 6000 Pound GVW Tax exemption (100% right off in one year)
    I usually put the Mazda in four wheel drive in September and don't take out until February or May. I notice that the reviews all say not to run in 4 Wheel drive on dry pavement. With our long winters it's impossible not to drive on pavement that is intermittently dry and ice/snow covered every few miles & minutes.
    I'm concerned that regular or continuous use of the 4 wheel drive may cause the truck problems. Can you provide any input on this issue? Thanks from the far North
  • yes, my truck is 4x4. i'm due for an oil change this week, so i will ask them to lube the slip yoke. thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it.
  • I have a 2K also and had the same problem. I swaped out my stock rotors with "power slot" after market rotors and they work great. I got the slotted version but you can get them slotted or drilled or slotted and drilled.

Good luck.
  • I did the same thing about three weeks ago. I have a 2K Tundra and they replaced it under that warranty.
  • I have a '01 Tundra 4x4 that the ABS brake actuator is bad after only 30K miles. The dealer stated they never go bad and this dealership has never replaced one, yet I am expected to fork over the $1500 for the repair. Has anyone else had this problem?? Also, how do you find out about technical service bulletins? Toyota dealers are not very forth coming on te TSBs. :cry:
This discussion has been closed.