Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I never understood the extra weight in the winter idea. I tried it with my 2wd ranger, and it just seemed to make it harder to stop. What helped more than anything was tossing the weight and getting really good snow tires.
  • I have 03 Tundra Limited. When I open the windows less then half, they do make noises. And when I hit a pot hole or when the road is not evenly, the noise is getting louder (very loud). But when I open the windows more than half, they don't make any noise at all. Service manager told me it was normal for Tundra. Does anybody having the same problem please advice. Thanks in advance.
  • Could anyone tell me what it would cost to add Limited Slip to my 2003 Toyota Tundra 4X4 Off Road with 4.7 V/8 Automatic Trans.
  • I bought new Toyota Tundra 2 years ago that now has 19,700 mi. which developed a vibration within the last two months. Most pronounced around 52 MPH. Have have tires rotated and balanced by the dealer and an independent reputable company in town. They check out OK. The dealer told me this is chacteristic of the Tundra and to just and drive and forget! NO WAY!! After returning for the 3rd time, they decided it might be the drive shaft and "tried to balance it." Still no luck. Any suggestions as to what this might be. I noticed a few others are experincing similar problems. The tires are original and have been rotated and balanced about every 7,500 mi.
  • edgexedgex Posts: 6
    I've read over at the tundra solutions board that the rear brakes give alot of vibration headaches if they don't get seated properly. Maybe this is your is something to look into? Or go to the tundrasolution.com board and post there. I've gotten alot of good info not only from here, but there as well.
  • abby18abby18 Posts: 2
    If you turn my Tundra engine off and exit the vehicle with the headlights still on, there is no aural warning to turn them off. Is there a fuse for that ciruit? Could the noise maker itself be bad? I would appreciate any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.
  • ageylingageyling Posts: 16
    Is anyone familiar with the spark plugs on the V8 Tundra Engine? I believe it is the 2UV-FE Engine. I have a 2003 and the manual says there are spark plugs but when I look at the engine, where the spark plugs should be there are flat rectangular black caps. The caps have a bolt holding them down adn there is a four pin connector attached. Following this wire to the harness, I find that the other 7 similar caps lead to the same harness and the harness goes in a large black cover on the front of the drivers side valve cover. So I assume these rectangular caps are the spark plug covers and the black cover on the front of the valve cover is the distributor, but this leaves me with one issue. Why four wires leading to the spark plug and why are they so small? Normally spark plug cables are much thicker due to the high voltage.
    Found an answer somewhere else for a 2000 Tundra. I assume it is the same.

They are located under each coil boot...Instead of one ignition coil like in older vehicles...each spark plug has its own coil boot.
  • campoutcampout Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. Just a quick question regarding the above mentioned. The truck has 9k miles on it, and it doesn't look like it's even been driven! I currently own a 97' RC Ford F-150 4X4. This truck is a four wheel drive an SR5 model. The dealer is asking 20,700, but I was thinking of an offer of 19,500. To any owners of this model out there has this vehicle been reliable? What am I saying, all Toyota's are reliable! My F-150 has been a good truck, but my wife and I just don't need that big of a truck anymore. The Tundra would be a good fit, plus the advantage of an eight foot box. Any responses welcome, thanking in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Paul
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    The Tundra is smaller than your Ford but only by 3 inches (length). I have had a regular cab 6 and now a SR5 8. My Tundras have been very reliable. I do miss the 8 foot bed, on my truck now. However, my truck still fits in the garage.

The SR5 regular cab 8 4X4 are rare models.
  • soonersooner Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 2001 2wd Tundra, V8 for approx $17,500. It has 30,200 miles in it. I have been reading some of the various forums and discussions on the Tundra and some problems with the brakes and the O2 sensors and wonder is this is a good truck or not. I've had a Previa (no ptoblems, hit headon by an out of control drive and totaled my van, but no injuries other than a rather bloody nose) and currently have a 2000 Siena that I've had no problems with. I also have a 1990 Toyota small PU that has been a workhorse.

It may open up a Panodoras box, but overall, how good are the Tundras, really?
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    I had the tire shimmy on the first Tundra (2000 regular cab 6), but new tires (Michelins) and alignment fixed it. My 02 Tundra (SR5 V8 4X2) hasn't give me any problems yet.
  • jbeezerjbeezer Posts: 1
    here is a little history on my Truck. 2000 tundra, V8, extended cab, 4wheel drive, just turned 72K miles. Approx, every 20K miles, I have had to replace the front brakes and turn down the rotors. Most of my driving is highway. Recently, the truck has an intermittent problem with the transmission. After long driving, the truck will shut down at a stop. I can restart the truck in park, with a rough idle, as soon as it is in gear, it shuts down. No indicator lights come on. My mechanic had it hooked up to a scanner, nothing showed a problem. His best guess is the torque converter. Also, during speeds between 30-40mph, the rear will slip, then grab again.
    Any suggestions on the trans problem?
    Anyone have similar problems?
    thanks in advance.
  • Go to the nhtsa and look for technical service bulletins regarding brakes for this year Tundra. There are several and one might pertain to you. Good Luck!!!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    We own a Toyota Avalon that has been routinely serviced by our dealer. I know that this is going to be heresy to many, but since we bought the car in '99 I have witnessed eight or nine Tundras in the dealer's shop having transmissions rebuilt. The brake problems are legend. Engine sensors also appear to be a problem at least on earlier years. As to your other troubles, I have not heard similar reports.

Regards,

Dusty
    Where do I find the cabin air filter on my 2003 Tundra? I've read about it in my owner's manual but it doesn't say where to find it! Any help would be great.
  • davey1davey1 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 4X4 SR5 TUNDRA. I HAVE PUT 3 SETS OF BRAKES IN IT AND I HAVE 65000 MILES ON IT. TROUBLE IS ALL THAT TIME AFTER A FEW THOUSAND MILES THE BRAKES PULSATE. I KNOW THEY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THEM. ALSO I HAVE A NOISE IN THE ENGINE WHEN ITS VERY COLD OUT AND I HAVE CHECKED IT OUT AND ITS A CRACKED MANIFOLD FROM WHAT IM TOLD. OTHER THAN THAT,THIS TRUCK IS UNBEATABLE!!! IM GOING TO GET A NEW LDT. DOUBLECAB SOON. MY FRIENDS FORDS AND DODGES DONT HOLD UP NOWHERES NEAR THAT OF MY TUNDRA!...DAVEY
  • js2004js2004 Posts: 2
    Anyone know what the cause of squeaking from the rear comes from? Noise is coming from right rear and only happens when driving over bumps. I just took it in to the local dealer this week, but they didn't fix it. Haven't taken it back yet.

My truck is 2003 Tundra 4x4 Access Cab.

Found message on another site with owner of 2004 Double Cab with squeaking in rear. They said truck was missing a weld at the top of the shock area. I'm trying to get a reply from them.
    Anyone know what the 2003 Tundra with a V8 has for timing? A belt or chain? I'm looking through the maintenance guide and it only mentions replacing the timing belt for the V6 at 90k. Nothing about the V8.
This discussion has been closed.