Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tnpdadtnpdad Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 Tundra SR5 with 41,000 miles. The first Oxygen sensor went bad at 35,000 miles and was replaced under warranty (3 year/36,000 miles). The check engine light recently came on and the Toyota dealer told me it was another O2 sensor but now OUT of warranty. Wanted $252 plus labor.

I called Toyota North America and was told that there is an "Enhanced Warranty" on the O2 sensors, good for 7 years or 90,000 miles. I brought this to the dealers attention ("gee, we didn't know about it"), and they are now ordering the parts.

So be aware of this and if you have paid for oxygen sensors, go back and demand a refund.
  • Just be careful the "enhanced warranty" only covers 2 of the 4 O2 sensors. If you get lucky the one's under the warranty get covered if the other two go out you have to pay for them.
  • gprgpr Posts: 1
    those black caps are the covering for the coils that generate the high voltage. in other words, there are individual coils for each plug on newer engines. Plug wires and distributors are becoming a thing of the past (good thing). Remove those caps and you will expose the spark plugs.
  • Hey any luck on finding out any info on the Tundra cabin filters?
  • Anyone find a way to disable the daytiime running lights? How about fixing the fog lights so they stay on along with the high beams? How do I change the fog light? Any suggestions on higher wattage bulbs for the head or fog lights?
  • i think the tundras breaks are great... it out stops most of my friends sports cars. it just must be your trucks specific peve=P
  • humm... ive never really had knocking sounds comming from my tundra.. but then again i never put any thing less than super gasoline in it eather.... but the rear end sqeaking is normal.. infact test drive a land rover fresh off the show room floor and take it over a curb or somthing and listin for the rather loud sqeaking sounds that come from the rear end. nothing out of the normal =P
  • I have been experiencing a squeak/chirp from the bed area for some time. Not when I run over any serious bumps or potholes, but more on uneven road surfaces es. This seems to cause the bed to shimmy as opposed to bouncing.

Is this the noise you are referring to?
  • I'm told the 2000's were supplied with rotors which were too thin. Mine is a 2000, and per a tsb I had the rear drums replaced, calipers, etc., and front rotors machined at 22,144 miles. The problem came back. Had rears turned at 37,706 and rotors replaced at 37,900 with new, improved rotors at no charge. I was out of warranty, but all past problems were well documented. I changed dealers after giving up on service from one, got better service and the service manager talked to the dr who personally delivered the rotors on his next visit to the dealership. My truck has been excellent with exception of the O2 sensors which were both replaced twice. The only way to cure your brake problem is to replace the rotors regardless of what the dealer tells you that turning them will do the trick. Once they heat, cool, warp, you have an continuing problem which only becomes worse after every turning.
  • I've got a 2000 Limited 4wd with 40,000 miles. Nowhere in the owners' manual does it give recommended fluid changes unless it's used severely or used a lot for towing. What is the recommended change interval? I tow a 1700 pound boat 50 miles twice a year, the rest of time unloaded.

I'm due for spark plugs too, and want to know why non-platinums were used, and if there's any problem with installing platinum plugs.
  • Yes I've been to discount,auto zone contacted toyota when they told me (discount,auto zone) it would have to be special ordered even had my local machinac check toyota and they said the same thing.Toyota states that all of there trucks do not have them. You can get a AC service my local mechanic told me it is about $60 for him to do it they use this stuff called freshly fresh? and it foams up elimates the moldy and smoke smell if your a smoker. they squirt it in down by the heater core where the intake is for the ac. They say it is the stuff that is used when trying to sell a used car that has been smoked in to mask the odor. It leaves the car smelling great and gets rid of all the mold and stuff. If your a smoker it is recommended to to it about every 20,000 to 30,000 miles. Hope this helps
  • I have a 02 with about 60,000 the listing at any auto parts store has listings for platinums, I opted to go for the ones with 4 prongs the best ones they sell for my truck from bosh I put them in at 54,000 when I did my oil change and they work well. I notice less fuel comp. more mileage and also the truck got a little more horse power to it. They were about $6 and change but you end up saving more at the pump in the long run.
  • My oxygen sensors went out also one at about 40,000 and then the other on the other side. clearwater toyota gave them to me under my ext warranty,but a couple months later I received a letter in the mail stating that if I purchased the oxy sensor that they were issuing refunds. The cause of the oxy sensors going out the service manager told me is because when they placed them in the design of the truck they are to close to the manifold and they end up burning up! The upgraded ones should last he states past another 40,000 miles
  • newellnewell Posts: 15
    YES!! Been to dealer 4 times in ten months. there's a fix ; mention to dealer TSB: Rear Shock Squeak. There's a special gasket washer spacer to be installed. GOOD Luck.

Mark/Cape Cod
  • newellnewell Posts: 15
    Hey! If the the squeaks/chirps are normal for you, Good luck.
  • 44jdub44jdub Posts: 3
    If ANYONE doubts the problem with toyota tundra brakes don't take my word for it(been back 9 times-replaced brakes several times) just do "RECALL TOYOTA TUNDRA BRAKES" & take a snack , because your going to be reading for a while-you may even want to take a pillow along!! My dealer didn't even know how to tell if the problem was front or back !!!(clue: run the truck up to 50 mph slowly apply the E-brake & if it doesn't vibrate , its the front brakes!!! DUH & they had never heard of this???
    It is a scam as you suspect. They don't know how to fix the problem which is defective front brakes.Most dealers have techs with wall certificates & nothing to back it up!!Like Experience!! Checkout on search "recall toyota tundra brakes" interesting!! join the class action suit.
    DUDE, You definately are the exception!! I don't even have time to read the thousands of tundra complaints(especially front brakes)hope your luck keeps up,just in case maybe start a tundra savings fund. I WAS a loyal toyota guy for many years (11-total) & NO problems till they started assembly in USA.
  • billstlbillstl Posts: 14
    That sound occurs under conditions that you described. There is supposed to be Service Bulletin abd a field kit to repair this. See question #55. I still need a copy of the service bulletin.
  • billstlbillstl Posts: 14
    I just got home from the local Toyota dealer who checked their computer and verified the service bulletin TSB SU0003-04 dated 12/24/04. The service manager was surprised how fast this got on the internet as it just crossed his desk a few days ago. This was the same service manager who blamed the "chirp" on my camper shell a few weeks ago. The dealer ordered the repair parts (field fix kit) and will install the parts (a 2-hour job) at no charge as a warranty issue. Hope that the frustrated owners of Tundra model years 2002-2005 are similarly compensated.
This discussion has been closed.