Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• oagr,

I discovered the same thing with a 1986 4Runner after a prolonged play session in the mud and water. Make this note to yourself as well. 1983 Supras aren't good splash toys either. In my wilder days I caught an unsuspecting bus rider after a rain in San Antonio left a large pool of water near his stop. I got to pay a 225.00 stupid tax for cooking the altenator and being ornery.

Dr yodt
  • lpeterslpeters Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how I can reset the "maintenance required" dash light on a 2005 Toyota Tundra?
  • cgrcgr Posts: 2
    I currently have a new 05 Tundra Double Cab 4X4 on order and it is in "Status A" at the plant. What is status "A" and how long should I expect until it is completed manufacturing and shipped to my dealership in Indianapolis?
  • idahoronidahoron Posts: 18
    I have checked my odometer several times now with a GPS. On a 50 mile trip the GPS showes 50 miles, the Tundra shows 48.5. Has anyone else checked the odometer? I need to check it at longer distances than 50 to 100 miles, but it looks to be off the same amount so far. Ron
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Posts: 39
    Do you still have the factory wheels and tires? Changing wheel diameter will affect the odometer reading. Also try checking the tire pressure and make sure it matches the recommended pressure. David S
  • Bought an 05 Tundra double cab. Owned it for 1 month and transmission had to be replaced! Also have a grinding/whistling sound. Of course, problems aren't solved on the first visit. As of now, truck was in shop for 10 days and I've owned it for 1 mth. 2 weeks. If I could do it over again, I would have bought a Dodge and saved alot of money. From what I understand, both are assembled in America!
    :lemon:
  • Problems;
    1. Auto transmission not engaging intermittently. Solution-got new transmission after 3 visits to dealer, and a total of 8 days in the shop. The fact that the check engine light came on, it wouldn't shift into fourth, slipped out of third, and had to be towed in finally caught their attention.
    2. On-going problem: Have a whistling/whine sound. Occurs like clockwork @ 2500 rpm and above. Most noticeable when punching it. Shop replaced TRD muffler gasket, fan clutch, belt, and now claims problem is in TRD exhaust. A couple of visits later, and I still have the :cry: problem. PLEASE HELP before I gut it and sell it for parts! :mad:
  • idahoronidahoron Posts: 18
    Yep, I have the factory tires and wheels. The pressure is right and everything looks ok. The odometer is just a little off, and I have checked it with two GPS units. Ron
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    I'm looking at trading in my '99 Exploder on a '00 Tundra SR5 4x2 access cab with 57k miles on it. My Ford is a 4x4, but I haven't had much luck with it. It's let me down several times in wet grass, so I don't think a 4x2 would be much worse. Also the gas mileage on the Ford is the same as the 4x2 V8 Tundra.

My question is, what problems have been known for these trucks? I've seen transmission and brake issues named. Anything else? I noticed some rust on the one I'm looking at, is that common thing as well? Inside the front bumper on either side of the license plate bracket there is rust. I also noticed some rust stains (or else red mud stains) on the carpet inside the truck. The dealer says it's a Toyota Certified used truck, but it looks to me a lot like a flood victim.

I was very impressed with the ride and drive of the truck. The price they want is $15,990. Carfax showed 2 previous owners, but was clean. Any advice? Thanks,
    idntnvu
  • You won't be sorry. I have a 2002 Tundra I bought new, now has 115K Two problems to look for. Brakes: You must go to a vented style rotor with metal pads to stop the shutter.

Second, "Check Engine Light" for the oxygen sensors. The dealership says there are 2 of them, but I found 4, two on each exhaust. There is a recall on them but I missed it by mileage the first time and then again when Toyota extended it to 60,000 miles. About $450 to change both, but talking to others they agree there are 4. My light came on over 20,000 miles ago, I'm assuming it is one of the downstream sensors because my mile is still 16 with the K&N air filter. (another MUST).

Good luck.
  • mrwilsonmrwilson Posts: 2
    Hello I have a 2002 Tundra I bought new. The brake pedal would pulse sate when braking hard or trying to stop going downhill. The dealer replaced the complete front brakes system ( I saw the bill over $1000) with larger one. I had to wait about a month for the brake kit to come in. The service rep. said they only get 2 kits a week and they only replace them if a customer complains.
  • do not be to happy that you received the new brakes it is not a blessing. I also have an 02 at about 17,000 same thing started happening to mine. Took it to clearwater toyo at about 33,000 and they stated the brakes were to small for the truck replaced all the calipers turned the drums,new backing plates, hardware, etc.etc.etc. now at 63,000 same problem. when i replace the brakes I am going to try ceramic rotors,those racing type pads. the problem I feel is that the rotors heat up to much. you can recut the rotors and problem goes away for awhile. You try what works for you but I'm going a different route next time.
  • Hoping someone has experience in changing the front corner signal light.

My Left corner light cover was cracked and I bought a new one.

The light appears to be anchored by a plastic arm with a philips screw, however, it is not a screw but rather a plastic push pin?

Before I try to push it up and possibly crack one of the little plastic tabs, I was hoping someone might have a tip for safe and easy removal.

Thanks.
  • victor3victor3 Posts: 15
    I am driving 2005 double cab Tundra. This is not a major problem, just a very annoying one. Even when sitting still idling, as well as when moving, there is a mild continuous vibration inside the cab. It is most noticeable in the steering wheel and the floor. Is this normal like the toyota technician said or is it a problem with a solution. Please help. I love the truck but can't stand the vibration.
    Thanks so much.
  • Good luck. I own a 2004 doble cab Tundra (purchased new in Nov of 2004) now has 4125 miles and holding (for the last month). Started with a vibration which I was told ba the dealership was normal. A month later after the vehicle suddenly darted in the right lane at 70 mph on the interstate; back to the dealership and they replaced the steering rack assembly. Another month passed and the vehicle again darted in the right hand lane. This time they told me everything was normal. I might be a fool, but I am not crazy. They $33,000 vehicle has sat in my garage for the last month and has not moved. Talked to a guy who has a 2005 Lexus, had similar lane switching problems, his was it the ABS getting a bad signal from the computer. They replaces his Lexus (he is worth $50 million); mine still sits, I am not worth anything. I am trying arbitration with Toyota, will keep you informed.
    Thank you for taking time to respond. This vibration problem is really starting to bother me like a nagging toothache. If I get enough info which refutes the toyota dealerships "this is normal" response, I will use it to try and produce some action on their part. Thanks again
  • I have a 2004 dual cab Tundra and do not have any mild vibrations. I cannot beleive any vibration would be normal. The problem lwilliams1 reported has shown up on a few 2004 Siennas. A couple of the Sienna owners are now also afraid to drive their vehicles and it seems to be related to the ABS getting the wrong signal from the ECU computer. I would consider it a serious matter and document everything related to it including dates, times and any conversations with service representatives from Toyota. You might even request your dealership provide you with a test drive in another 2005 Tundra, same model and take the service manager with you and record the differences. I would even go as far as to have the service manager sign a document setting out the differences. Stay on top of the issue as this is not in my humble opion normal. Best of luck.
    Thank you sarniasting. The more responses like yours, the more leverage I will have in hand when I go back to the dealership.
  • Sorry, messed up on last post. I have a 05 reg. cab V6 that when you get to 56 mph it makes a droning/exhaust sound that is very anoying. When holding at a steady speed is a constant up and down hmmm,hmmmm, noise. When you ease down on the gas just a little gets a lot louder. Also when I have my trailor hooked up is a lot worse. If you turn the OD off the noise is gone or get past 60 is gone. Dealer said they have had several complaints from other V6 owners but it was normal. Just wanted to ask other V6 owners if yours did this. Dealer called it a harmonic imbalance? Have not driven the truck on a long trip yet but this would get very annoying. Mine also had a AT. Truck has otherwise been fine and gets great gas mileage.
This discussion has been closed.