Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Hey, give the IRS some time. They are still processing 2005 tax year! I'm sure they will come out with instructions. But in any case, the credit is based on when you bought the car, so I should think that having your purchase contract would be sufficient documentation. It is available to all buyers who bought a vehicle within the 1/2 year period that Toyota was selling the 60k cars. That is an unlimited number of tax credits, not just the first 60,000 vehicles. Unlimited, that is, except that Toyota has to build as many as it can...
  • Options
    jmurphy7jmurphy7 Member Posts: 2
    so, could I get a 'new' 2005? By that I mean a 2005 year that's never been driven? Or does the tax break only count if it's bought the year it comes out? Would I be likely to find any new 2005 or 2004? Thanks!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    No there are no unsold 2005's. They were all gone in DEC. All of them now are 2006's. For example I bought the last unsold 2005 off our lot on Nov 30th.
  • Options
    robby100robby100 Member Posts: 3
    Any recent experiences in TX (Dallas/Houston/Austin?). I am in the market for a 2006 w/Pkg3 and would like to see if there is currently a premium on the vehicle. I am also willing to travel to a low demand area if needed.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    bdouglasbdouglas Member Posts: 6
    jmurphy7
    About 2 weeks ago I stopped by my dealer and he had 2 2005 leftover that were sitting around. I stopped by last night and they were gone and he just got some 2006 in. So you might get lucky at your local dealer and find an 05, but am a little doubtful about the tax credit given how complicated the tax rules are. You may only get the deduction for 05
  • Options
    The tax credit is based simply on the 'date of acquisition' it doesnt matter which MY vehicle it is. If you take delivery after 1-1-06 you will qualify... with two BIG caveats...

A) If you are subject to AMT you may not qualify for any credit.

B) If you wait later in the year you may not qualify for the FULL credit. Toyota estimates that anyone who buys one and takes delivery by 6-30-06 will qualify for the full credit. Even possibly by 9-30-06. After that the credit likely will be reduced by 50%. Speak to your tax advisor.
  • Options
    zmaczmac Member Posts: 3
    I seriously started thinking about a Prius (my current SUV is getting 9 mpg and it's starting to bug me:-) So I need a small car and even though I have never have even considered a Toyota or Lexus before (well, except for the LC), the Prius is quirky enough and has grown on me.

But I just checked out the prices supposedly paid in my ZIP (according to Edmunds.com) for a fully optioned-one and they got to be kidding: almost $3k over MSRP!

I know LA is supposed to be La-La Land, but is this really what people are paying?
  • Options
    Unfortunately it appears that way in SoCal. However in other parts of the country it's normally at sticker.. no surcharge.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, here in the Portland OR area, Prius sells for MSRP - no markups. Average wait is about 8 weeks, but occasionally one or two are available without waiting. The guy in Beaverton had a couple yesterday [which may be gone by now] that weren't spoken for.

If you don't mind traveling to save some money over CA markups, try contacting Russ' Beaverton Toyota, and Broadway Toyota, both in the Portland area. You can get to them on the Toyota website by entering an zip code like mine [98660] or Portland [97203].
  • Options
    robby100robby100 Member Posts: 3
    Can the Camry Hybrid be ordered now for delivery whenever it arrives?? Would be interested in doing this.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    We do this all the time. Customers come in and place orders for future delivery, often without knowing what the prices are. I have one Prius that I delivered yesterday where the couple ordered it at the end of Sept.. specifying delivery after 1-1-06 but with the specs and pricing 'to be confirmed'. They were known later at the end of Nov. If the couple didnt like the specs and color and pricing they were not bound to do business, but obviously they did.

Another couple came in yesterday and placed an order for a new '07 XLE Camry ICE 4c for delivery ASAP after launch in March. The specs are generally known but pricing is not announced yet. We're fairly sure of a narrow range though.

Since you know the specs now of the TCH, yes you could put your name on a list at a local store in Dallas. Introduce yourself tell them what you'd like to do and see if they will go along with you. Some regions like So Fla and SoCal are asking premiums for the Prius. They may also for the TCH. There will be even less supply of these initially.
  • Options
    bic1bic1 Member Posts: 5
    If you go to the best Toyota dealers they are selling at MSRP. I got mine at Longo Toyota for MSRP (seaside, package 3 with floor mats for $23,900). Toyota Northridge and Toyota Hollywood also told me they were selling Prius for MSRP. You don't have to pay any premiums at these 3 places.
  • Options
    c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    Reuters story today on US International Trade Commission opening an
    investigation into infringements by Toyota on a US company's patents
    that Toyota is using on their hybrids.

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=ousiv&storyID=2006-02-10- T171354Z_01_T40955_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESSPRO-AUTOS-TOYOTA-INFRINGEMENT-DC.XML
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hey everyone - if you look in the line near the title of the discussion:

Created by janprius in the Toyota Prius Message Board. > click on Toyota Prius.

We've moved all the Prius discussions to a sep. board and will allow smaller discussions to get created. So you don't miss any of the new Prius discussions - click "Track This Group" at the Toyota Prius Message Board level. That will also display your membership in the Prius group over on your CarSpace page.

http://www.carspace.com/sylvia
  • Options
    sganarellesganarelle Member Posts: 9
    My 2004 Prius just celebrated its 2nd birthday.

Some facts:

Miles driven: 26,363
    Gallons consumed: 541.6
    Miles per gallon: 48.7
    Dollars spent for gas: $1,301.72
    Average price per gallon: $2.40

Total repairs $23.50 (tire puncture)

Worst problem with the car: Clock loses 1 minute every two months.

How much money did I save on gasoline? It depends on what you use as a base. Our other car is a '99 Avalon which gets 21.1 miles per gallon. Prior to the Prius it was the workhorse family car.

If the Prius miles had been racked up by the Avalon I would have used 1249.4 gallons of fuel. At $2.40 per gallon I would have spent an additional $1698.

So even if you buy into the myth of a $3,000 price increment for the Prius then I will recover the difference in less than four years.

The Avalon is an excellent car but in the two years since the Prius arrived it has been driven less than 3,000 miles. It is the car that family members use if the Prius is already taken.

The Avalon cost $28,000 new in 1999. The Prius cost $26,000 in 2004. Even neglecting interim inflation the Prius is a real bargain. The Prius premium is a myth. If it got 24 mpg instead of 48 it would still be a great car.
  • Options
    rickcouprickcoup Member Posts: 1
    Got two questions here:
    1)I heard there is a recall on 2005 prius. My dealer told my car is not on the list. Is the recall on all the 2005 prius or only some of them?

2)I thought I lost my car key one day. I asked my dealer to copy a key for my 2005 prius. In a week, I found the lost key. But the dealer wouldn't take the duplicated key back because it won't be able to reprogram to other prius. Is it true?

Thanks!
  • Options
    1.) Yes the recall for software recall was limited to several specific ranges of VIN's.

2.) I believe this is true of all the new 'engine immobilizer' keys in all cars. The chip in the key or in the fob is specifically programmed to that vehicle only. It's the same for all Corolla's, many Camry's, Avy's and all the SUV's.
  • Options
    pushanpushan Member Posts: 15
    I bought my Prius about 14 days ago - paid by check. I see that the check has been cashed out by 6th Feb, but I have not received the title yet. The sales person told me - it takes around 3-4 weeks time. Is it true?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, that is very common (actually 3-4 weeks is pretty good, in my experience). The wheels of government turn slowly sometimes.
  • Options
    nw_vikingnw_viking Member Posts: 11
    I expect to get my package 8 (NW) Prius in the next 2 to 4 weeks. After the break-in period, I am considering taking a long road trip with a buddy from Seattle to Alaska (3+ weeks, 5-6 K miles) in May-June time frame.

Based on the bit of research I've done so far, I'm debating the wisdom of such a trip. Road conditions, temp spare tire, cost to tow the vehicle possibly hundreds of miles should it break down, traction issues (especially with OEM tires) in the snow, etc. I do plan to stick with the main paved highways, but I understand there is significant road work in the summer to repair potholes caused by freezing-thawing cycle, which leads to a lot of stones and dust being thrown at you when you are passed by other vehicles.

I do also own a 98 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4, but with 72K miles and some recent expensive repairs I'm hesitant to trust this vehicle on such a long trip -- and my cost for fuel would more than double that of the Prius.

Any comments would be most appreciated.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I do also own a 98 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4, but with 72K miles and some recent expensive repairs I'm hesitant to trust this vehicle on such a long trip -- and my cost for fuel would more than double that of the Prius."

The Prius is designed for highway and city; many people have driven them cross country. Go ahead and drive your new wheels!

A side question for Prius owners: does the Prius warranty come with roadside assistance?
  • Options
    It did in '05 but they discontinued it in '06.

In Toyota's words, the Prius is just like any other vehicle now.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am considering taking a long road trip with a buddy from Seattle to Alaska (3+ weeks, 5-6 K miles) in May-June time frame.

I can tell you from experience having driven the Alaska Highway many times. May-june can be muddy in the spots that are not paved. I did drive it in a 1967 VW bug once. Ripped the exhaust out. Take it slow and keep a log. You may be the first to drive a Prius to Alaska over the Alcan.
  • Options
    jpricejprice Member Posts: 58
    Is there any difference between the "Toyota Prius 2004+" and the "Toyota Prius: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" discussions? For the last several days they have had the same messages.

jprice SoCal '05 Silver, #1, 11560 miles, [non-permissible content removed]. mileage 47.7MPG
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That is strange! They WERE different discussions. Not sure what's going on, but thanks for the heads up. We'll see what's what.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Evidently there was a head on collision between the two discussions :P and they got merged into the same pile. You can find the new prices paid discussion for the Prius in the Prius group. Here's a link to it:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0a4a2c.f0a4a16/0
  • Options
    phongerphonger Member Posts: 2
    Currently Im in the market to buy a car, Ive always thought that buying a hybrid car would be a good idea since I do alot of city driving and my old celica gets 18mpg (its a 1990 Celica Alltrac). In anycase I can afford upto $22,000 for a car and I thought a used prius would be in order. I found a 04' with 56k miles with almost every option allowable (nav, fogs, ect) For $18,000.

Is there anything I should be worried about in buying a used prius? Is it even a good idea? I currently do need a car badly as my old car is getting less reliable even in MN winters.
  • Options
    Take it to Toyota dealer first and pay them to a complete diagnotic on it. If you are buying it from a Toyota Dealer make sure it's a Certified Used Vehicle and that it's been through the Certification Program.

If it's all in order you should be OK up through at least 150K miles and likely up to 250K mi. That's what I'm expecting to get on my new one.

BTW the $18000 price is a good one. We just traded one in with 58K miles and we had to pay the previous owner $19K for it.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Just be sure that any vehicle you consider hasn't been involved in Gulf Coast flooding.
  • Options
    lavalolavalo Member Posts: 6
    Traveled from IL to Calif. Went through central Colorado and Utah (I-70). Gas milage was good, however at some of the 6% road upgrades the Prius slowed to a max speed of 50 mpg and started getting slower and slower. The engine started screaming a bit, and this made me nervous about whether I was going to make it over the hill. Its a real good runner in the flat lands, but I think the next time I drive out to Calif it will be with the V6 and more horsepower or find a flatter route.
  • Options
    stinkkstinkk Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a used 2005 prius (package 4, 500 miles, good condition) from a private party for $24,000.
    Do you think thats it a good price?

thanks
    stinkk
  • Options
    That was full sticker, so on the face of it, no, it's too high. However the resale on Prius' is stupid now. They are bringing prices that are not in line with normal vehicles.

This is all a roundabout way of saying that the price seems correct for the present market for a 500-mi Used vehile in perfect shape.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    All the riveting details of the Prius:link title
  • Options
    latothedesertlatothedesert Member Posts: 2
    I know that the dealerships closer to downtown LA are charging up to 6K over MSRP. I too have been in the market for a new Prius and found my deal at Moss Bros in Moreno Valley. Since I commute from LA to Palm Springs I pass right by them and they are NOT charging anything over MSRP. Just bought my Package #8 today and it should be here by Friday. On vehicles that are allocated to their dealership, the can capture the VIN# and process the paperwork right then before the car actually arrives...this secures it for you. You actually don't PAY for it until it arrives. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    looking4priuslooking4prius Member Posts: 53
    It has been interesting noting the different discussions regarding driving habits. My old car, a '91 Accord, has oil in three cylinders, is leaking oil from head gasket and oilpan gasket. Oil idiot light has come on twice, and I keep new oil in the trunk just for such occasions.

Anyway, I have been driving my old car very reservedly. And, as one might expect, getting much better MPGs. Not that I drive slower than a turtle, but I get going up to 50mph when merging. The engine still runs fine, I have had it into Honda and they want to change the gaskets and perhaps play with the oily cylinders. Mileage is largely a matter of choice. You want to drive like a dragster, you use gas like it.

The Prius helps. It cannot change your habits, but it can restrict them. Some people dont like that...'the car isnt powerful enough', like they need to do 160mph to prove that they can avoid any accident. So, you learn to drive differently, perhaps more carefully, rather than tooting around like a rocket and wasting gas feeling good that you can go fast.
  • Options
    $3k over MSRP? Nope, I am getting a package 3 for MSRP, Los Angeles County. Havent heard of people paying more, but there is a big demand out here.
  • Options
    frankactfrankact Member Posts: 6
    There are plenty of dealers charging less than MSRP. Unfortunately,in CA charging over list seems to be more the norm. Since this vehicle is still very popular, supplies are still tight in some regions of the country.
  • Options
    clethroclethro Member Posts: 22
    You said in some of your posts that you made a career change and now work for a Toyota dealer. I am hoping to make a career change myself and I want to know if I could ask you some questions about your experiences in making the change. If you would be willing to field some questions from me, would you contact me by email? I have posted an email address in my bio box (substitute the corrrect characters for at and com) in my profile.

Thanks.

Clethro
  • Options
    sure be happy to do it :D
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    LOL,

looking4prius said: "Not that I drive slower than a turtle, but I get going up to 50mph when merging. The engine still runs fine, I have had it into Honda and they want to change the gaskets and perhaps play with the oily cylinders. Mileage is largely a matter of choice. You want to drive like a dragster, you use gas like it.

The Prius helps. It cannot change your habits, but it can restrict them. Some people dont like that...'the car isnt powerful enough', like they need to do 160mph to prove that they can avoid any accident. So, you learn to drive differently, perhaps more carefully, rather than tooting around like a rocket and wasting gas feeling good that you can go fast. "

I think there is a difference between driving slower than a turtle and a dragster or tooting around like a rocket.

Actually about the Prius being slow, it is slow. It is one of the slowest vechicles, including SUVs and trucks, that Totoya makes. The only slower vehicle is the automatic Echo, which is being discontinued.

A standard metric of measurement is the 06-mph time in seconds. And NO it doesn't mean you always drive 0 to 60 as fast as you can. It is merely a measurement to gauge the relative performance between different vehicles. The Prius goes 0-60 in about 10.5-11 seconds. The norm for most vehicles is now between 8.5 an 9 seconds. Even the new Camry hybrid and Toyota SUVs fall in this norm.

So compared to other vehicles the Prius is slow. LOL saying you need to go 160 mph to avoid an accident. Most manufacturers, except a few exotic cars, cannot even go 160.

We are not talking about rockets, dragsters and 160 mph cars, but regular cars , trucks and SUVs.

Every car is slow compared to a rocket, dragster or a 160 mph car so these are insignificant, meaningless comparison.

But if you like slow, and want to drive like a turle or a grandmother to get your great mpg then have at it. To me, that would be extremely boring, especially since the latest Consumer Reports quantitatively shows hybrids are not cost effective.

Double sixes,

MidCow Life is to short to waste it with hypermileage
  • Options
    Actually about the Prius being slow, it is slow

How is 75 in a 4Runner slower than 75 in a S2000 slower than 75 in a Prius ( stupid Prius going 75 just got me my first ticket in 5 yrs )!!!

But I do understand your concerns.

KDH..

Doing 48 mpg @ 63 mph avg ( unless the stupid vehicle get it in it's mind it wants to go 75 mph )
  • Options
    Perhaps I should have been more precise...

I am still driving my '91 Honda Accord. The engine is hurting, bigtime. I dont want to put my foot into it to accelerate (jack-rabbit style) because I strongly suspect that the engine would check out on me. Even so...

I have found that I dont cause traffic jams, nor do I get people angry at me because I am only doing 65 mph on the freeway at cruising speeds. To date I have had no need to punch the throttle to get out of a potential wreck; I have simply learned, in my Accord, that I do not need to if I drive more defensively and look out more.

But the Accord has seen its last days; I pick up my Prius this evening, and the Accord will be donated to a worthy cause. The whole point being that over a period of three months I have learned to drive safer, and I have found that, where I drive, I do not need the horsepower to drive safely.

Having said that, I am still envious of my friend whose job is to drive a blown alky funny car. Now, there is one exciting job!
  • Options
    kdhspyder,

Hey sorry about your ticket. Wouldn't wish a ticket on anyone.

Actually 75 in an S2000 with Invidia exhaust and the top down, is more exilirating. sounds louder (actually is a lot louder) and seems faster that the other 75s. Wiat , I was only going the speed limt at 70 mph :P .

But seriously it is how long it takes to get there and how long it takes to stop and how it handles at speeed that count.

Great mileage. I decided to get a Carribean Blue Hobie Mirage Outfitter for my high mileage runs ;)

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- Are you telling me I should drop my Consumer Reports subscriptions ( online and hardcopy) ?
  • Options
    looking4prius,

Even though Hondas are great cars a 91 is getting pretty worn. You are really going to like your Prius. ENJOY! :) Hope it arrives soon.

double sixes also mirage drive coming,

MidCow
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I reject the notion that anything that takes 10-11 seconds to reach 60 mph is "slow".

Each of us has our standards. I grew up driving MB diesels. 0-60 with the turbo 3.0 5 cyl typically took 14-16 seconds. Never felt a danger to myself or anyone else, including highway passing situations. Our C240 MB was a 8.5-9.0 kind of car, and felt incredibly quick to me.

Guess I'm doomed to be "sloooowww"...I'll try not to get in MidCow's way...
  • Options
    Thanks for your concern about the ticket. I have found a couple of ways to get them 'inconsequentialized' let's say.

Actually, as we've had this discussion before, it is slower than most 4c on the highway now but it's very much the same as late 90's 4c such as the 91 Accord above and my 2000 Camry. It's quick off the line versus 90% of all drivers on the road due to the instantaneous electic motor torque. No one leaves a stoplight faster than I do unless they are sitting in a V6 with rpm's in the 3000+ range.

But it really shines in traffic due to two things:
    the electric power steering is very precise and instaneous;
    at 65 mph on highways when you want to pass it is also the fastest to 75 because there is no 'downshift' hesistation whether from AT's or even 6 spd MT's. There is a second or so in all other vehicles when you have to find the lower gear and then hit it. In the Prius it's electric torque at 65 is instantaneous.
  • Options
    Well actaully I grew up when cars were much, much slower and then the mandatory 55 mph highway speed limit.

Times have changed. Better technology: faster cars are the norm with better brakes, better handling.

Did you use the internet and a pentium PC back when yopu grew up? Did you have video games, digital stereo, stalleite, cell phones, bluetooth, blackberry, Plasma TVs.

Yes we could go back to older days, back in the 1920's cars had to have a red flagman outfront because the went the insane speed of 20 mph and they were of significant danger to horses, the gold standard of transportation.

It is not my way you need to worry about, but the 50 million normal people that drive vehicles that are not "slow" at speed limits that are not "slow".

In summary I will say again 'Anything, except maybe a bicycle, that takes 10-11 seconds to reach 60 mph is "slow"'

Double Sixes,

MidCow
  • Options
    Here are some electric cars that MidCow might want to take for a spin on those Houston freeways. :)

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.03/play.html?pg=5

The prices are steep and some of them have pretty short ranges, but they do 0-60 just fine!
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    In summary I will say again 'Anything, except maybe a bicycle, that takes 10-11 seconds to reach 60 mph is "slow"'

I think a more important range is 20-70 MPH. That is what is most needed to merge into freeway traffic. 0-60 MPH is rarely a legal option from a stop light as those are mostly in slower speed zones.

I like the feel of brute acceleration as much as the next guy. I would be getting tickets with a sports car If I bought one. I do like the looks of that S2000 though.

I really think the Prius is the direction hybrids should take. I don't think the trend toward high performance hybrids is helping to solve our oil problems.
  • Options
    >I really think the Prius is the direction hybrids should take. I don't think the trend toward high performance hybrids is helping to solve our oil problems.

Speaking of our oil problems, I read in a business article last week about what the oil exporting countries in the Middle East are doing with all the money they are bringing in what with oil at $60 a barrel. Saudi Arabia by itself is bringing in half a billion (that's billion with a b) dollars every day of the week. $100 million of that daily amount is from the US. Instead of just using the money to buy things like US Treasuries (which pay for our national debt and keeps the federal government in operation), the Middle East countries are buying companies and big name properties in the US and Europe. The Dubai ports buy is an example.

The article included this statement: "...consider that the downside of our car-centric lifestyle is shifting money and power to the countries that supply us with oil. We can't buy their oil and then refuse to do business with the suppliers -- the world doesn't work like that anymore, if it ever did. Think about that the next time you fill up your SUV."

It makes me glad I bought a Prius.