Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ....... Why would someone spend $1,000/$3,000 over MSRP, when your main thought was to save money/gas - and it will take you 7/8 years just to break even ...?

Terry.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    I think we can answer that question if we can figure out why people spend $4000+ for stuff like fancy wheels or plastic appliances for their cars. In other words, not everyone expects to save money by buying a Prius.
  • Hello,

I am thinking to buy a Toyota Prius, but I am a little worried about the possible cost of eventually broken parts and their replacement in the future.

Any information is very welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Fabrizio
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Buy the car, add the extended warranty to 100K miles, and then trade it in when it hits 80K miles.

No worries..... :)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,884
    I am thinking to buy a Toyota Prius, but I am a little worried about the possible cost of eventually broken parts

You may want to check this thread.

It lists the Prius battery @ $4920.39,

$5,153.24 for the hybrid electric motor/generator etc

crv16, "Hybrid Honda Accord 2005" #2246, 26 Jan 2005 10:23 am
    Do you live in California or one of the other states covered by CA-type emissions regulations? If so, the hybrid components of the Prius, including the battery, are warranted for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
  • Thank you for your quick replies! Yes, I live in California. Actually the prices of those parts are extremely expensive, but how long they need to me changed? Is it part of the "NORMAL ROUTINE MAINTENANCE"?

Thank you again.

Fabrizio.
    Is it part of the "NORMAL ROUTINE MAINTENANCE"?

It is not likely they would go bad. No one really knows what heat and age will do to the electrical of the hybrid. I would get an itemized listing of what is covered by the PZEV 10 year 150k mile warranty. One poster from CA with less than 100k miles on her 2002 Prius has already replaced a sensor at $600 and is in need of a $2100 catalytic convertor. I would have thought those should be covered?

greenmoongirl, "Toyota Prius Owners: Problems & Solutions" #91, 1 Dec 2004 1:32 am
    The '04 and later Prius has the AT-PZEV designation and thus is covered by the 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty for parts related to emissions in CA etc. I am not sure the earlier Priuses were AT-PZEV? It makes sense that a catalytic converter would affect emissions and thus would be covered under the AT-PZEV warranty, for the '04+ Prius.

BTW, it was a '01 Prius with 92k miles--I've had catalytic converters on cars I've owned fail before that many miles. It has nothing to do with the car being a hybrid.
    I've had catalytic converters on cars I've owned fail before that many miles. It has nothing to do with the car being a hybrid.

Did it cost you $2100? That seems horribly high to me.
    The last one that failed, in the late 80s, was $800 on a Honda. That's about $2000 in today's dollars. Hey, they're made of platinum, right? :-]
  • Would you mind sharing with us what you paid. I have one on order.. Pkg.4... in red with tan interior.. $23.400 with tax and preparation.

I think this is a good deal. I only give up navagation system and disc player that takes more than one disc.

I have not driven the car at all and I hope that I like it. I am worried about the batteries as having read problems on Prius cars this seems to be the biggest problem.

mtransue1
  • dmd1dmd1 Posts: 3
    I paid MSRP for mine. I also got standard wholesale trade-in for my Lexus so it was a pretty clean deal (although it's been a long time since I paid MSRP for a car).
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ..... Good point .. I guess they can use it to carry the soccer team, tow their 18ft ski boat or to pick up palm tree's at Home Depot ......... ;)

Terry.
  • For those of you that want one now Millenium Silver and Tidewater Pearl
  • Warranteed for 10 yrs or 150k miles is good. I wonder what one will be worth at nine years old, though? But then, again, what is any car worth at nine years old these days. Basically a charity donation, I guess, at that point. Chalk one up for the Prius.
  • bblahabblaha Posts: 329
    I've had my 05 Prius for nearly two months. Overall I like it.

However.

1) Can anybody tell me how to turn off the "beep beep" every time the vehicle is put in reverse? Beeping outside a vehicle is useful to those nearby who may be unaware the vehicle is in motion. I already know I'm moving and in which direction ...

2) The legalese page whenever you switch to the navigation? How do you turn that off so it never begs to be read again? The first 20 times or so was cute. But having to reach over and touch the screen every time since is really starting to get annoying.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    1) Can anybody tell me how to turn off the "beep beep" every time the vehicle is put in reverse? Beeping outside a vehicle is useful to those nearby who may be unaware the vehicle is in motion. I already know I'm moving and in which direction ...

This one is easy. Go to google.com, type in "Prius beep chat". Goto the #3 site and search from there. I am not allowed to post the link directly because it violates a tons of rules here.

2) The legalese page whenever you switch to the navigation? How do you turn that off so it never begs to be read again? The first 20 times or so was cute. But having to reach over and touch the screen every time since is really starting to get annoying

No, can't be done. Not that I know of. If you do, please let me know. You need to hack into software binary to do that. Not an easy one.
  • tempusvntempusvn Posts: 119
    2) The legalese page whenever you switch to the navigation? How do you turn that off so it never begs to be read again? The first 20 times or so was cute. But having to reach over and touch the screen every time since is really starting to get annoying

No, can't be done. Not that I know of. If you do, please let me know. You need to hack into software binary to do that. Not an easy one.

There is a way to do it, but it's a kludge. You interrupt the Speed Sensor with a momentary switch so the car thinks you are sitting still while it's actually moving.

This has the added drawback of throwing off mileage calculations in the MFD and causing your position on the NAV to freeze until you reconnect the sensor.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    theonion.com has a great comedy opinion piece gently teasing Prius owners...hilarious....:

http://www.theonion.com/opinion/index.php?issue=4105
  • tempusvntempusvn Posts: 119
    Oops, I take it back, there is a better way to deal with the "I Agree" annoyance.

Coastal Dave just released it:

http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    Hello timber104.

I too am selling a nice car to have the Prius...I have had one ad in the newspaper but no callers..I have had one person look and drive the car but it didn't work out..What plans do you have to sell your car, price your car, etc., ??

I am having our car detailed out to the tune of $250.00 next week and hope that helps, if I can get someone to look at it.

It is a 2002 Black Solara and is in great shape and still in warranty.

Any suggestions will be great! Thanks, bjich
  • pjyoungpjyoung Posts: 885
    Also - I have read that when you follow the steps, don't have anyone sitting in the passenger seat or it doesn't work.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    I am pretty sure the kit sold by Coastal Dave would void your warranty on the NAVI. Think before you actually commit to do it. How about the liability issue when you sell your Prius later and the new owner sue you for removing the "I Agree" page in case he/she crashes while setting the NAVI. You know very well that it is likely to happen in America..
  • bblahabblaha Posts: 329
    Thanks ceric (and tempusvn) for the links. Reverse beep is now blissfully gone.

I placed an order for the nav kit. I would be concerned if the kit made a permanent change to the nav system. But the kit appears to be merely a wiring harness with some electronics that is installed in series with the Prius NAV unit's original wiring harness.

To restore "I agree", you simply remove the kit. At least thats the way it appears to work to me.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Just pull the dang thing out and it's back to normal. God that was easy.
  • Just took my 04 Prius in for Gas Tank Nozzle & Gauge Metering and already I'm noticing a more accurate reading of fuel. Funny thing though, while in for routine oil change B/4 they ordered the gas recall parts, they took my odometer reading. Then they called me back in about three weeks later to do the work. I had accumulated almost 2K miles during the interim period due to a family crisis. This was a surprise that this was the way it worked (a 2K reading in my favor). Has anyone else had this experience?

Culliganman (miles saved-in a way)
  • Just wanted to pass on to any other 04 PRIUS owners that if you have a faulty fuel gauge I advise you to get in to your Toyota Dealer ASAP and get the parts replaced if you fall into the product recall.

Since the replacement of said parts several days ago I noticed a much more accurate metering of fuel. I now trust the gauge with confidence. (getting nearly 500 miles per tank)

Culliganman (a gas gauge I can trust)
  • jpricejprice Posts: 58
    < Just wanted to pass on to any other 04 PRIUS owners that if you have a faulty fuel gauge I advise you to get in to your Toyota Dealer ASAP and get the parts replaced if you fall into the product recall. >

Does this apply to the 2005 also, or did they include the upgrade in production of the 2005?

jprice