Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• gscootergscooter Posts: 7
    We bought ours from Bill Page Toyota in Alexandria Virginia 350.00 idscount no wait (at that time).
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is hoping to talk with Southern California residents who own a first- generation Toyota Prius, or who upgraded from a first-generation Toyota Prius to a newer one.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by 12pm Friday, May 27, 2005.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is hoping to talk with Southern California residents who own a first- generation Toyota Prius, or who upgraded from a first-generation Toyota Prius to a newer one.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by 12pm Friday, May 27, 2005.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • pjyoungpjyoung Posts: 885
    **And unlike the Civic Hybrid, it won't run without the electric components.**

On the other hand, the Civic won't run without the ICE - when you are out of gas, you are truly out of gas,,,The Prius will at least "limp" you to a gas station.

As far as the "unknowns" - VSC is really an advanced use of ABS which has been around quite some time. I'll tend to put my faith in a company that builds cars to last.
  • sinepmansinepman Posts: 137
    VSC has a yaw sensor which senses when the vehicle is going in its intended path based on steering agle and other parameters. It will brake invividual wheels as the case may be, to keep the vehicle on its intended patch and under control. I would not own a vehice with out. Hard to believe that Honda has not put it in some of its less expensive vehicles Toyota even offers it in the Corolla!
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,794
    "On the other hand, the Civic won't run without the ICE - when you are out of gas, you are truly out of gas,,,The Prius will at least "limp" you to a gas station."

Granted, if the gas station is only 2 miles away . Not much of an advantage, IMHO. Also, If you run any car out of gas today, you are asking for trouble... no telling what kind of stuff lurks at the bottom of the gas tank. Fuel injector cleaning, anyone?

However, the HCH will run indefinitely without the electric motors - rather more than 2 miles, I think.
    "Hard to believe that Honda has not put it in some of its less expensive vehicles Toyota even offers it in the Corolla!"

Honda has stated that all it's cars will have ABS, EBD, side air bags, and VSA by 2006 model years (if I recall correctly - may be 2007). Has Toyota made this statement?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,722
    Actually, Honda hasn't made that statement either... at least not regarding VSA. At least Toyota has VSA available today on the Prius, and other cars.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID1003?mid=2003102935709&mime=asc&archives=t
    "Actually, Honda hasn't made that statement either... at least not regarding VSA. At least Toyota has VSA available today on the Prius, and other cars."

OK, so they have only committed to putting VSA into all their trucks, SUVs and minivans (which need it most). Thanks for the update.

To get back to the point of my post, do you have a URL where Toyota has made such a commitment?
    Let's see... VSC is standard on the 4Runner, standard on the Highlander, standard on the Land Cruiser, standard on the RAV4, standard on the Sequoia, and available on all other models (including the Prius, which BTW is the subject of this discussion, not what safety features Honda is promising in the future) except the Tacoma, MR2, and two dead-for-'06 cars (Celica and ECHO). How many Honda models have VSC standard, or even available now? Looks like instead of promises, Toyota is doing it today.
  • bobourbobour Posts: 3
    Anyone here has experience buing a Prius in NYC metropolitan area? Seems like noone in the city and upstate has them in stock (expected), and all dealers say will charge MSRP, no more no less. I spoke to 5 dealers on this. Does it even make sense to keep looking, or should I just get on the waiting list (one month or more in Manhattan), and not bother trying to find a deal? What about NJ?

Also, what do people think about getting the most expensive package? I don't feel like paying for the 6 CD changes, as I will use my iPod in the car, but looks like this is the only way to get VSC.

Thanks!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Consider buying a hybrid? Reconsider after you learned about the long wait? Whether or not you chose to add your name to the waiting list, a reporter is hoping to hear your perspective. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 27, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    All their cars will have it then too.
    I know... for a company that is supposed to be promoting safety they don't even include it on their flagship model HAH. What does that say?
    Try some dealers on Long Island and the suburbs. I had a friend who bought his in Scranton, PA and paid less than MSRP. There are many dealers in the surrounding area. Set aside a few hours and make some calls. If you're patient, trust me, you'll find one that you'll be driving within a week.
  • kokerkoker Posts: 23
    You could get a package 4 which has vsc but not the upgraded stereo or navigation. It would be quite a bit cheaper than the package 6. Different regions are getting different packages, in the boston area dealers seem to be getting packages 3,4 and 6. Your region may be different, but it is possible that you could get a dealer to get a package 4 for you if they don't usually get them in. I ended up getting a package 3 right off the dealer lot in the Boston area, many dealers here had 4's and sixes on the lot to. YMMV. I would take the advice and call around. Good luck!
    "I know... for a company that is supposed to be promoting safety they don't even include it on their flagship model HAH. What does that say?"

It says that the HAH is low to the ground and so stable in turns that VSA would not have improved the vehicle. Honda is not adding safety features to "pad" a list of items for marketing purposes; they add them where needed.

I know from experience that Honda vehicles are designed to lean less in turns (they also don't ride quite as well as Toyotas as a result). I had a 1998 Sienna and traded it in on an 2000 Odyssey due to this exact factor. It is a different engineering philosophy. My 4 year old kept asking if it was going to tip over when we went onto curving freeway on-ramps. It never did, of course; I'm careful not to exceed the parameters of any vehicle I drive. But man, that Sienna had a great ride.
    " (including the Prius, which BTW is the subject of this discussion, not what safety features Honda is promising in the future) "

I posted the statement in response to a post about how Honda did not include VSA in it's cars, which opened up room for a response.
  • molokaimolokai Posts: 313
    Every car can benefit from stability control. It does NOT matter if the car is low to the ground. That is a foolish statement to say the least. The Corolla offers it (even Hyundai does on the Elantra!!). Why doesn't the HAH at least even offer it! I had it in my C320 sedan and BELIEVE me, it works. I won't drive a car without it.
  • bobourbobour Posts: 3
    Thanks, all. I'll widen my search area. Yes, it looks like in NY State you can only get 3 set packages. I'll check PA and NJ to see if I can get other packages there.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Posts: 885
    How stable is the car in snowy/wet conditions? Because VSC really helps maintain control in those situations. And if you are in control, not only are the odds of you rolling over reduced, but so are the odds of you hitting something.
    The Prius benefits from VSC because it's a relatively tall car compared to its length and width, and its tires are quite narrow by today's standards. Also it doesn't exactly have a sport-tuned suspension. The Corolla is also a relatively tall car for its size, and its suspension is similar to the Prius'. The Accord is a family car and I think could benefit from VSC. The Elantra could also, but today VSC is not offered on the Elantras sold in North America (maybe it will be on the next-gen model, since Hyundai seems to be putting VSC as standard on every new vehicle except their lowest-end econoboxes). I agree that low-slung sports cars like the MR2 would not benefit much from VSC, and in fact VSC can actually impair cornering in the hands of a skilled driver (which is why you see the auto mags mention sometimes that their slalom tests are hampered by VSC). But for most drivers and vehicles, VSC is of value.
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    Hello PJ;Hope this finds you fine and dandy and he Prius purring like a [non-permissible content removed] cat;;;;;
    We are in our 4th week with our Pruis and we are really enjoying it..it is such a great car..roomy, confortable, full of neat gadgets, good looking and a super toy. We have been getting about 46 to 51 mpg..
    We had leather seats put in and glass tinting last week//;; it is quite cozy;
    We have started planning a lengthy trip for this fall..heading west and north and down the coast it is something we have talked about for years.
    my friend from ov pk was here and fell in love with the Prius. Would not be surpised if he did;t buy one in the future
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    First, I think that this particular discussion should probably be moved over to the Highlander Hybrid forum, but that being said... The HAH will actually have a version of VSA, but actually a newer, more proactive system. It's called VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Managment) which is supposed to help prevent the vehicle from ever getting into a fishtail, plow, or rollover rather than correcting the circumstance after it has begun. Just an FYI.

Ken
    "Every car can benefit from stability control. It does NOT matter if the car is low to the ground. That is a foolish statement to say the least."

How many late model Honda's have you driven? How many late model Toyotas? If you have no experience with comparisons, I will leave it up to the reader to determine "foolish statements".

It is not a question of benefiting from VSA, it is a question of the degree of benefit. I said it doesn't need stability control, not that it wouldn't benefit. But with the HCH design, the anti-lock brakes will provide enough control, IMHO.

Are you suggesting that VSA is not more critical in cars that have softer suspensions, and a higher center of gravity?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Actually VSC is over-hyped as to the safety factor on FWD cars that are not subject to roll-over. The only time it really comes into play is if you enter a turn too fast for the conditions. The result you skid forward instead of turning. Now how often does that really happen, not very often at all!
    Don't take this the wrong way, but trust ME when I tell you that VSC has saved my butt in a few cars. I wonder why they put it in high end cars like the Porsche, Audi, BMW, Benz and lastly, the Corolla (as an option). I rented a Ford Focus in Germany and it had it! You can't defy the law of physics, but SO many studies (European in particular) show that it saves lives. I guess that's why Chevy decided to put it in its Corvette too. All my cars have it and I won't buy a car without it.
    Try making a turn in snow with FWD and no VSC and with VSC and see the difference. I especially like them in FWD in snow just for that reason alone.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,993
    The Passat has a button to turn stability off if you want complete control. First car I have had it on. No slippery roads to test it on yet.

The Prius in base form does not come with VSC, front & rear curtain airbags or side airbags. You have to buy option package #4 or #6 to get those safety features. If you are going to put side airbags in a car they should be standard. Toyota uses it as an option to make the car look less expensive. I would think side and curtain airbags are more important than stability control. What percentage of the drivers drive on snow and ice in the USA?
  • jpricejprice Posts: 58
    The Prius in base form does not come with VSC, front & rear curtain airbags or side airbags. You have to buy option package #4 or #6 to get those safety features.

Airbags are also included with packages 1, 3 and 5.

jprice SoCal '05 Silver, #1, 4800 miles, [non-permissible content removed]. mileage 46.5MPG